• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

How it feels when you get no closure to 10 FU*KING years of build up

suguru-geto-shower-scene.jpg

Mostly it's about the main character's, love interest, you know the one with a Decade worth of Build up.
Shonen fans romance standards really be in the gutter if Ochako and Deku's romance counts as 10 years worth of buildup. both had like 4 moments that boil down to having a crush , getting embarrassed and then supporting one another like the rest of the cast does anyway. spread across 400 chapters and 10 years. Also what do you guys expect Ochako to do, have her final appearance in the manga be entirely revolved around dating Deku, should she be married with kids despite only being 25 and her profession being that of a hero?. MHA isnt a romance story and the romance that did appear in the story is juvenile and entirely aimed at middle schoolers, im happy Horikoshi decided to end Ochako's story in the manga with her being a pro hero and helping people like Himiko as oppose to being a reward for the main character. im sure we will get spin offs and sequels and what not that confirm Deku and Ochako are together but Horikoshi isnt under any obligation to reward shippers if he doesnt want to.

Last edited:
Not sure how ready I am for this.

Don't know why I didn't considered Izuku to become a U.A. teacher. It's nice to see Kota as a U.A. Student.

Mount Lady lives!!!

The double page spread of everything through out the years is great. Izuku returning to see his mom, Mirko now having three prosthetics, kid Kota apparently going to or coming home from school with Eri is stupidly cute, Aizawa and Present Mic paying their respects, Melissa coming to Japan, our Class A graduating with Bakugo being way too extra, and the final nail in the coffin of Izuku being powerless. The copium wasn't strong enough.
Eight years have passed. Grown up Hatsume... that's nice.

Also, interesting to see the Dai kid from the beginning of the All-Out War arc appear. Nice change of pace from chapter 1 where everyone wanted to be a Hero, now the kids are more interested in other career paths instead. Gentle and La Brava starting up some programming business is great to see.

Shoji working to help fight against mutant discrimination in smaller cities, Uraraka starting up a more enhanced Quirk Counseling project is perfect knowing Toga's backstory. Eri being in some kind of music club, and apparently her horn went back to normal as it's fully grown.

To the surprise of no one, Bakugo struggles to maintain his ranking due to his... personality. I wonder how Aizawa feels having to work alongside his "problem student".

Shoto has completely grown past his family ties, though he never came up with a different hero name. I guess it fits him in away, since it's the truest version of himself. Mirio is the Number 1 Hero like Aizawa believed he'd be, and it's probably what Nighteye saw as well.

And once again it's no surprise to see Izuku finds it difficult to be strict with his students, so yeah Aizawa still having to reprimand him all these years later. Seems like a common problem since Cementoss also couldn't win against his students either.

Okay, Izuku meeting Dai was extremely well done. They play it straight like he's going to just encourage him right there, but of course he has to nerd out about Dai's Quirk and it's applications. But he manages to get it out in the end, just give him a minute to shoot out all of that nonsense as All Might would say.

Izuku is still tiny, he's barely taller than Dai who's a Junior High kid.

All Might crushing the ending page is great, also this man is now in his mid sixties at this point, and the light is still in his eyes. He's got a surprise for Izuku, made in the USA and secretly funded by Class A, with Bakugo spear heading it all.

Why does All Might keep calling Melissa a friend from the USA? I know it's Melissa and not Dave because Hatsume made it alongside her. And I didn't considered the Armor All Might idea to be brought up again for Izuku to use later. With Melissa and Hatsume taking the data from All Might's fight against AFO.

Final shot is all of Class A together, with Aoyama, all in their Hero Costume ready to respond to some trouble. And their designs look almost identical to what we saw when Endeavor was about to roast AFO, so Horikoshi was indeed giving us a sneak peak of the future.
God, I don't know what to say right now. Got into My Hero back when Season 3 first aired, though I'd be aware of it since it first came out with everyone calling Izuku Green Naruto. To be honest I didn't really think nothing about it at that point, and obviously I wasn't aware how much my life would be impacted by it.

The first episode really hooked me into the series. It was the first anime I watched that made me instantly read up on the manga after finishing the current Season. To be honest I wouldn't be able to appreciate manga like I do now without MHA. I've read more manga than anime at this point. It's also the only series I've read alongside my family, as we don't usually share hobbies. It was nice for us to wait for MHA chapters week by week and share in the despair of having to wait extra weeks for breaks.

I truly appreciate everything Horikoshi has done with this series, it's been a positive influence on my life that I only regret being unable to experience again.

There will be more MHA news in the future. Volume 42 is the last volume coming in December 4th, A fan book in January 2025, Art Book in April 2025, a special exhibition in 2025, and finally some secret project on August 5th. Just a few more days away.

Not sure what Horikoshi has planned, it could be anything from a new series (Horror at last?), a MHA spin-off series, ect. I wish him well on whatever path he chooses.

I hope the man gets everything he deserves, as just like with Izuku, he's done more than enough to earn it.

Shonen fans romance standards really be in the gutter if Ochako and Deku's romance counts as 10 years worth of buildup. both had like 4 moments that boil down to having a crush , getting embarrassed and then supporting one another like the rest of the cast does anyway. spread across 400 chapters and 10 years. Also what do you guys expect Ochako to do, have her final appearance in the manga be entirely revolved around dating Deku, should she be married with kids despite only being 25 and her profession being that of a hero?. MHA isnt a romance story and the romance that did appear in the story is juvenile and entirely aimed at middle schoolers, im happy Horikoshi decided to end Ochako's with her being a pro hero and helping people like Himiko as oppose to be a reward for the main character. im sure we will get spin offs and sequels and what not that confirm Deku and Ochako are together but Horikoshi isnt under any obligation to reward shippers if he doesnt want to.
Disagree on how you perceive the buildup, and more importantly, it's mad reductive to claim it's about Ochako being some kinda "reward" for the MC. That's legit never what this was about

Disagree on how you perceive the buildup, and more importantly, it's mad reductive to claim it's about Ochako being some kinda "reward" for the MC. That's legit never what this was about
its not reductive because thats what a lot of this all boils down to, most of the complaints are entirely focused on Deku not getting the girl at the end of the story. also if you feel those moments were powerful enough to justify Deku and Ochako being together thats perfectly fine and all but objectively speaking the amount of screen time thats actually dedicated to Ochako and Deku as potential romantic partners is so minimal and spread out that i will never be able to take the position that this has 10 years worth of build up seriously (Deku has had more screen time with his hospital bed than with ochako), its at best scattered moments that elude to a ship. its no better than most of the bare minimun male and female interaction and crushes that most shonen fall do to justify some end game romance.

Shonen fans romance standards really be in the gutter if Ochako and Deku's romance counts as 10 years worth of buildup. both had like 4 moments that boil down to having a crush , getting embarrassed and then supporting one another like the rest of the cast does anyway. spread across 400 chapters and 10 years. Also what do you guys expect Ochako to do, have her final appearance in the manga be entirely revolved around dating Deku, should she be married with kids despite only being 25 and her profession being that of a hero?. MHA isnt a romance story and the romance that did appear in the story is juvenile and entirely aimed at middle schoolers, im happy Horikoshi decided to end Ochako's story in the manga with her being a pro hero and helping people like Himiko as oppose to being a reward for the main character. im sure we will get spin offs and sequels and what not that confirm Deku and Ochako are together but Horikoshi isnt under any obligation to reward shippers if he doesnt want to.
He made the ship dumbass. He wrote Ochako's feelings in the story. It's not a reward for shippers making head canon, its the conclusion of a plot thread left hanging. A plot thread written by Horikoshi. He is in complete obligation to finish what he started. It's called writing.

10 years as in not 10 years worth of content, but 10 years worth of wait. If you think a ship is all about ending it on a time skip marriage with kids, then your standard of romance is the gutter. You show a childs grasp of romance and what it means.

All it takes is 4 panels of the timeskip board to show them hugging each other, moving in a few years later and a few photos with each other and that's it, that's the closure to the plot threat.

It doesn't have to be a romance story to have good romance writing. The Amazing Spiderman 1, The Spectacular Spiderman series (although that ended mid way so we never got to see where it goes), Batman the mask of Phantasm, Death of Superman, Superman and Lois. These are all Superhero stories, yet tell a compelling romance story in a few moments.

Best Example ? Up. It only takes a 5 minute intro of a adventure movie to make use live out Carl and Ellie's life and love.

I you can't be bothered to finish it, then don't bother writing the start of it.

its not reductive because thats what a lot of this all boils down to, most of the complaints are entirely focused on Deku not getting the girl at the end of the story. also if you feel those moments were powerful enough to justify Deku and Ochako being together thats perfectly fine and all but objectively speaking the amount of screen time thats actually dedicated to Ochako and Deku as potential romantic partners is so minimal and spread out that i will never be able to take the position that this has 10 years worth of build up seriously (Deku has had more screen time with his hospital bed than with ochako), its at best scattered moments that elude to a ship. its no better than most of the bare minimun male and female interaction and crushes that most shonen fall do to justify some end game romance.
Should have wrote more and better interactions. Don't see how that's supposed to be the audiences problem.

Those complaints about "Deku not getting the girl" are those people's problem, but objectively speaking, that's not what this is about. It's about a mutualistic relationship where both of them are clearly supporting each other and making each other better. A relationship I would've loved to see fully come into fruition, yet instead, I feel Horikoshi dropped the ball on that front.

I don't have much of a horse in this race, I am the most casual MHA fan you could possibly imagine. But a bog standard common place high school romance is not really a major plot thread that's obligated to be finished. Sure it'd be cool to see something come of it but given that they don't particularly have a lot of interactions it always came across like it was meant to be a normal teenage crush kinda thing instead of a proper romance story that ends with them being together into adulthood.

I di have my gripes with the ending overall but quite frankly couldn't care less about a ship not ending with them together at the end.

Edit: sorry didn't realise the spoiler tag wasn't selected my bad

I mean it's not like it's the world's biggest deal, but it would've been nice. I just don't get why shonen mangaka do this where they build these relationships up and then do nothing with them. Like, why bother with it at that point? That's far from a Horikoshi problem

I mean it's not like it's the world's biggest deal, but it would've been nice. I just don't get why shonen mangaka do this where they build these relationships up and then do nothing with them. Like, why bother with it at that point? That's far from a Horikoshi problem
I think Shonen is more focused on strong friendships.

I think Shonen is more focused on strong friendships.
I like when, say, One Piece knows that it doesn't actually care about the romance and as a result doesn't even entertain it. If you're gonna put romance in, commit to it. Otherwise, don't bother. That's my view

He made the ship dumbass. He wrote Ochako's feelings in the story.
characters are not caricatures they can have feelings without those feelings being entirely engineered to be pivotal plot point.
It's not a reward for shippers making head canon, its the conclusion of a plot thread left hanging. A plot thread written by Horikoshi. He is in complete obligation to finish what he started. It's called writing.
Ochako getting together with Deku isnt a plot thread, you should learn what a plot thread is. because it requires having an actual plot not expressing your feelings once or twice and then concluding in an epilogue. Ochako's feelings for Deku is a character trait that informs how she thinks and how she acts in certain situations. those feeling being setup doesnt mean they need to resolve in a way that works out for the characters.
10 years as in not 10 years worth of content, but 10 years worth of wait.
thats not what build up is.

build up is the accumulation of something over a period of time, the key word being accumulation, the point is that I dont think there isn't enough actual content that was accumulated to justify " buildup for 10 years". if you wanna say you waited 10 years for Ochako and Deku to be together be my guest.
"

If you think a ship is all about ending it on a time skip marriage with kids, then your standard of romance is the gutter. You show a childs grasp of romance and what it means.
No im asking you what you want out of the final chapter that does the bare minimum for its romance. and no my standard isnt in the gutter because i dont come to action series aimed at young boys for its romance.
All it takes is 4 panels of the timeskip board to show them hugging each other, moving in a few years later and a few photos with each other and that's it, that's the closure to the plot threat.
and thats my point, I believe that would be a waste of time to not only Ochako's character but to the story itself, because unlike you I dont buy into the whole 10 years worth of romantic build up for me to think that this would be good writing.
It doesn't have to be a romance story to have good romance writing.
It doesnt have to have good romance because its not attempting to tell a romantic story versus having a lot of romantic writing but being bad at it
The Spectacular Spiderman series (although that ended mid way so we never got to see where it goes),
that has awful romance what are you talking about
Superman and Lois.
Romance is pivotal plot point to these stories thats a false equivalence
These are all Superhero stories, yet tell a compelling romance story in a few moments.
Superhero isnt a demographic or a genre, you can have superhero stories that are entirely romance focused
Best Example ? Up. It only takes a 5 minute intro of a adventure movie to make use live out Carl and Ellie's life and love.
If your take away from the 5 min intro of Up is that its a well written romance story then your entirely missing the point of that scene, its to establish Carl's relationship with his wife, to inform of us of the type of character he is at the start of the movie,his motivation going forward and to put the audience in his shoes, because most of us can empathize with the feeling of losing a loved one. if Carl and Ellie's scene was a dedicated romantic subplot then it wouldn't be good or organic.

Reading all of this honestly makes me realize how low people's bars are in terms of quality.

How can you admit that Ochako's romantic interest in Izuku was a pretty important part of her character and was a major factor in her decisions but then also say that you didn't expect any real payoff? It makes no sense to me.

In any case its very clear
yall care far more about Ochako X Deku than i do so we can leave it there

How can you admit that Ochako's romantic interest in Izuku was a pretty important part of her character
I never said this, i have no idea how you can read all that, how i say that the lack of meaningful build and screen time dedicated to the romantic subplot makes the romantic payoff worthless and come to the conclusion that i think Ochako's romantic interest is a major part of all her decisions.
and was a major factor in her decisions
I never said
but then also say that you didn't expect any real payoff? It makes no sense to me.
its not about expecting its about not caring because the setup for her payoff isnt good, and id rather the payoff be on the aspects of her character that do have significantly more setup.

Last edited:
Back