• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Proposal: Add to Deku’s weaknesses, “Danger Sense has a habit of not detecting danger if there’s no living will behind it”
For some reason his profile still doesn't mention this at all. I'd like to focus on this discussion.

Danger Sense is more of an hostile detection thing. Do we have feats of it working on stuff that aren't living things?
  • Didn’t defect AFO’s mansion bomb. (He never says he didn't detect it, so it's a possibility, I agree though. We don't see it against Shigaraki, guess he turned it off?)
  • Didn’t defect Hatsume’s bomb, Deku even notes this. (Hostile intent is important, she wasn't hostile to him. As shown with Class 1-A)
  • Didn’t detect Momo’s sleep machine. (She wasn't hostile to him, Dark Shadow slammed him into a building and there was no Danger Sense)
  • Didn’t detect UA falling. (While I would say nothing says he didn't sense it... I really don't see why Danger Sense should activate in that scene)

I agree that Danger Sense might not work on things without a will, just that you phrased some of this stuff really weird to me.

Look I just woke up half an hour ago, so take it easy on me alright? I have nothing else to do.

Is that what daft means?

(Google search) Oh god I'm so sorry, I really did not mean that. I just here the phrase, "are you daft", a lot in shows I watch, I found the word funny.

I meant no disrespect, I was trying to appear jokey.
Don't sweat it man. As a non native English speaker, there have been times where i used words/phrases from movies without knowing what they mean. It's as genuine a mistake can get 👍

Considering Fa Jin can be used with Blackwhip, shouldn’t Deku be constantly wiggling and waggling several tendrils around all the time?

I mean, it’d look pretty silly, but it’s efficient!

… why am I suddenly reminded of Korosensei?

Wait— am I going crazy?

When Deku is asking ShigAFO if Tomura was still within him, his scarf of Blackwhip, does it have Fa Jin already on it? Or is that just Torino’s scarf??

If it’s Fa Jin, that could explain why Shigaraki’s punch had little effect. I think. Deku just released the energy and caught Shigaraki’s attack at the same time it hit him, lessening the damage to himself. The Blackwhip Fa Jin scarf acted as armour??

Maybe I’m just reaching.

It's without a doubt Fa Jin in Blackwhip, but Fa Jin isn't a power that enhances him for a period or time. If he uses the energy to stop Shigaraki's blow he wouldn't have the energy when he tossed him. Despite that we still see Fa Jin is there. He uses up Fa Jin in his Blackwhip after throwing Shigaraki. Unless he can just releases some of the energy and not all of it? That's speculation on my part, can't use that for reasoning. The glow does disappears after he throws him and is about to use Gearshift.

Honestly I doubt Horikoshi is going to leave this ambiguous, once the fight between them starts for real we could get more information. Maybe a volume release. Whatever percentage he's using will be stated, regardless of it being 45% or something higher. Izuku's statement of being on par with 100% All Might actually meant his 45% not Faux 100%.

Then what does Fa Jin in Blackwhip do if it doesn’t increase the strength of it?

Fa Jin lasts inside Blackwhip for quite awhile, only dispelling when Shigaraki breaks Blackwhip (or Deku turned Blackwhip off, I’m not sure what happened there)

It feels like Horikoshi will add a panel or something when the full volume comes out. He did something similar for the Muscular Round 2 fight.

Then what does Fa Jin in Blackwhip do if it doesn’t increase the strength of it?
That's what I meant, it increased Blackwhip's strength when he threw him. Fa Jin temporarily stores kinetic energy, and can use that stored energy for an explosive boost.

Then shouldn’t the Fa Jin energy be in his arm for the swing, not Blackwhip itself?
I don't understand what you mean. Why can't it be in Blackwhip?

Although I've seen some people say the Fa Jin was just for making his Blackwhip into that chain shape. Honestly I have no idea, just spit balling here.

I cannot agree with a lot of this. I don't care how many times Shigaraki is said to be Prime All Might level.

Apart from his own durability feats against mostly Endeavor and Star and Stripes, Shigaraki has displayed neither Prime All Might level strength nor Prime All Might level speed.
L take honestly

Can someone remind me what kind of abilities Gearshift gave?

Physics Manipulation (Since it can alter the speed without being affected by inertia)
Statistics Manipulation.

What else?

Physics Manipulation (Since it can alter the speed without being affected by inertia)
Statistics Manipulation.

What else?
Limited self biological manipulation since it can speed up cells ig?

Statistics Manipulation.

What else?
Arguably Fusionism? Since Deku can fuse his abilities to use Overdrive

Statistics Manipulation.

What else?
Limited Reality/Spatial Manipulation.

Being serious. I think that's it. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Using multiple abilities at once isn't fusionism. If he combined his Quirks into one Quirk, that'd be fusionism.

Limited biological manipulation on the cellular level I would imagine
He isn't manipulating his biology though. He's just increasing his speed down to the cellular level, which is a weird phrase if that is all it means.

Since increasing his speed in general means his cells are moving faster. You can't move your body without moving your cells.

Unless Horikoshi shows him having super healing with this or something, which would qualify I think? But right now he's only messed with velocity... right?

The fan translation did irreparable damage to Gearshift. I will forever run into people who think it can be used to slow people down past their base speed, like Speedforce Speed Stealing.

. . .

Although, I wish Deku does that in the future, although I doubt it. Just touch Shigaraki and hit him with the “REVERSE GEAR!” and have him try attack in slow motion until Gearshift’s drawback makes him run out of oxygen.

Reminds me of Hit vs Jiren in the DBS manga.

He isn't manipulating his biology though. He's just increasing his speed down to the cellular level, which is a weird phrase if that is all it means.

Since increasing his speed in general means his cells are moving faster. You can't move your body without moving your cells.

Unless Horikoshi shows him having super healing with this or something, which would qualify I think? But right now he's only messed with velocity... right?
I mean idk honestly, maybe?

I think we just gotta wait and add abilities to Gearshift as it progresses. I can only imagine the “reality warping” stuff is gonna be more than “he punches harder bro.”

Physics Manip + Stat Manip is fine for now.

The fan translation did irreparable damage to Gearshift.
We can't say he can or can't until he actually does it. Obviously if he never does we assume he can't. I imagine the original user never used it like that since it only worked on small object. Izuku would have to figure that out himself, so I also have my doubts.

What did the fan translation say? I don't remember.

Yeah, I don’t think Gearshift affects the cells directly in a biological sense, it just basically grabs the cells and attatches rocket boosters to them to go super fast.

If it affected the cells at a biological level Deku would be aging incredibly fast, his hair would’ve doubled in size by now. That aint happen yet.

We can't say he can or can't until he actually does it. Obviously if he never does we assume he can't. I imagine the original user never used it like that since it only worked on small object. Izuku would have to figure that out himself, so I also have my doubts.

I also don’t remember, and I don’t exactly know how to find the fan subs anymore.

I just know everyone got the wrong idea about what Deku was doing to Shigaraki in that scene based off the fan subs. People thought he was slowing Shigaraki down, not speeding himself up.

Tbf, the bullet that the Second was using gear shift on in that flashback was definitely not moving at normal speeds when it suddenly shot at AFO. Look at its travel lines, they’re super small like it’s barely moving forward. Not to mention its position is weird. For it to have gotten behind AFO like that, the Second either curved that shot like crazy or slowed it down to try and hit AFO at a later time.

We don't know what it was doing beforehand.

Maybe Gearshift will be shown to have vector manipulation as well, meaning he'd be able to control what direction something goes. I mean how else did that thing get behind him and is floating in mid air despite moving so slowly? Maybe it only looks like that due to it being a manga, but it does look like it's slowly moving at first.

He'd need to be able to increase an object's speed even if it has zero speed.

Tbf, the bullet that the Second was using gear shift on in that flashback was definitely not moving at normal speeds when it suddenly shot at AFO. Look at its travel lines, they’re super small like it’s barely moving forward. Not to mention its position is weird. For it to have gotten behind AFO like that, the Second either curved that shot like crazy or slowed it down to try and hit AFO at a later time.

He probably fired it on a very low setting, used gear 1 to set it at that speed while he fought AFO, lost, got picked up then set it to Top Gear which is why it sped up considerably.

His gauntlets probably have varying firing speeds exactly for these moments, when he needs a surprise ambush.

It is suspicious that we see the slow bullet in the flashback, then the following scene has Deku use “low gear” which slows him down in midair, but it doesn’t slow his body’s movements, just his flight speed. It’s all very vague and unexplained.

Hori needs to write a databook for Fa Jin and Gearshift’s entire workings alone.

Weapon creation (can create claws out of black whip)
Vector and physics manipulation (can speed up and slow down inanimate objects and bend the law of physics with his smashes)
Aura (the fa jin energy is visible)
Statistic deduction (can slow down others)

I’d say limited biological manipulation, but I’d say wait for more info.

Weapon creation (can create claws out of black whip)
Vector and physics manipulation (can speed up and slow down inanimate objects and bend the law of physics with his smashes)
Aura (the fa jin energy is visible)
Statistic deduction (can slow down others)

I’d say limited biological manipulation, but I’d say wait for more info.
I would hold off on weapon creation until he actually does something with Blackwhip like that, though we do know it can stab people since it cut Mirio.

Idk about vector manipulation yet

Yes to Aura

We don’t know if he can slow down others yet, just that he can probably do it to objects.

Bro it's literally just calc stacking.
That's not what calc stacking means.

Izuku's speed comes from his in canon speed of being faster than sound, not because I calculated his speed to being that fast from a different scene.

Izuku's Blackwhip was moving and Lady Nagant shot it quickly.

Method 1 assumes she shot it the same time it began to leave the smoke. Method 2 assumes she fired at some unknown time after she saw his decoy move. While Method 3 is the anime version which shows she didn't fire until it was already reach the distance I measured, and it was in frozen time.

Also his Blackwhip travel speedcan be slower than his reactions and combat speed. Teactions/combat speed is generally faster than movement/travel speed. Especially in fiction where this can become absurd, since fiction can do whatever the hell it wants.

I admit the confusion of her bullet being faster than his Blackwhip. If you want I can measure the speed that it moves in the anime and use that instead? I guess it can be true that Izuku just isn't shooting Blackwhip out as fast as he can?

Since it's impossible to measure speed in the manga for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Bro it's literally just calc stacking.

According to you lady nagant>>>>>>>>izuku and izuku>>>>Lady Nagant. Makes 0 sense
uh, what?

He’s relative to Nagant’s bullets. Two of the calcs rely on her sniping a severely weakened Shigaraki, with only the decoy being related to Deku. How is that even remotely calc stacking? What calc is being used for her speed?

Also pretty sure High 6-C is going to get gutted via Damage.

uh, what?

He’s relative to Nagant’s bullets. Two of the calcs rely on her sniping a severely weakened Shigaraki, with only the decoy being related to Deku. How is that even remotely calc stacking? What calc is being used for her speed?

NOOOOOOOO
It's expected

uh, what?

Doubt it

Intercontinental Cruise Punch happens in the anime but instead of the crater being pulverized it's vaporized instead. What changes?

Back