• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

So, we saw more AFO quirks, and I like that he is working with a very varied set of quirks rather than a specific combination because he was expecting to fight Deku.

Remember, he was coming to 1v1 Deku or gang up on him with his crew, and he knows that Deku has multiple quirks. So I assume he has an ensemble of quirks in order to deal with Deku’s variety. But now he’s fighting Endeavor, a sole Flame quirk user, which he wasn’t prepared for. Hence why the fire resisting quirk, the Hard-Flame Fan, blocks the fire but not heat. A clear weakness he wouldn’t have if he was trying to fight Endeavor specifically I’m sure, though that clearly isn’t stopping him from slapping the guy up regardless.

It’s interesting to see how AFO can prepare for specific circumstances if he knows who he’s fighting.

What ability would we call those blades AFO threw at Hawks and Endeavor? Is that a kind of energy projection or just wind? And the goop? He’s got more body control with those weird head things, actual flame manipulation with his wall that blocks flames but not heat, and we already know about those drill things.

I definitely think the quirks he has currently might play into a possible defeat or severe damage, especially since he doesn’t have Super Regeneration as Endeavor noted (scans fail us again). Wonder what else he has packed away though?

Also interesting to note is that, despite the intense heat passing through his Hard-Flame Fan, he isn’t severely burned, despite Endeavor saying he’s taking damage. He seems relatively unbothered in fact. So I guess that heat resistance he showed in the forest vs Dabi has stuck around somewhat? A really good point for him I’d say.

Also AFO sounds just like Deku when trying to find the right quirk to use. :)

And yeah, this kinda confirms Hawks was nerfed after war arc. Even with the prosthetics, AFO's statement implies that Hawks' speed now pales compared to before he lost his wings. That plus Hawks calling himself crippled now.

Him calling them jobbers is just setting himself up I feel. We’ll see if he regrets that or not.
That's probably gonna happen, though I also wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the part where the Villains turn things around.

Imagine how the Heroes would react if they learn one of the students got killed...

AFO is really pretty tanky against Endeavor even though he can easily damage characters like Hood with Flashfire. We can say that AFO is a bit more durable then?

Though I feel like this is another instance of comparisons between characters with and without regeneration, where the latter tends to take more damage simply for the visuals of regeneration.

Also, remember when Todoroki's ice could literally freeze someone enough to shatter their limbs off? Or was that an intentional self-inflicted destruction by the USJ Nomu?

AFO is really pretty tanky against Endeavor even though he can easily damage characters like Hood with Flashfire. We can say that AFO is a bit more durable then?

Though I feel like this is another instance of comparisons between characters with and without regeneration, where the latter tends to take more damage simply for the visuals of regeneration.

Also, remember when Todoroki's ice could literally freeze someone enough to shatter their limbs off? Or was that an intentional self-inflicted destruction by the USJ Nomu?
USJ Nomu lacked temp resistance and Todoroki didn’t hold back. Lots of the destructive characters hold back on humans but drop all restraint on Nomu. Mirko even says she can go all out on the Nomu.

They would all be canon apart from the fantasy AU novel unless the concept of a multiverse was acknowledged in MHA.

However, I've never seen any impressive feats in the novels considering all of them are slice of life.

Last edited:
USJ Nomu lacked temp resistance and Todoroki didn’t hold back. Lots of the destructive characters hold back on humans but drop all restraint on Nomu. Mirko even says she can go all out on the Nomu.
I'm well aware of that. I was pointing out that we never really see those feats again though. And "holding back" isn't always a viable explanation. Case in point: Dabi's Flashfire not incinerating even people without flame resistance.
Like I said, it's a classic battle story trope.

For AFO, we can suppose say that Hard-flame Fan is just jacked to be able to resist Endeavor to such a degree. The man won't come to the battlefield unprepared for the abilities of top heroes.

I'm well aware of that. I was pointing out that we never really see those feats again though. And "holding back" isn't always a viable explanation. Case in point: Dabi's Flashfire not incinerating even people without flame resistance.
Like I said, it's a classic battle story trope.

For AFO, we can suppose say that Hard-flame Fan is just jacked to be able to resist Endeavor to such a degree. The man won't come to the battlefield unprepared for the abilities of top heroes.
Dabi has used FlashFire a countable number of times. Apart from Todoroki, the only other characters to tank FlashFire attacks is Nejire who was directing a 100% Wave Motion at Shigaraki before getting hit by a nameless FlashFire move which she used her attack to block. She was still burned but we can't ignore that she was clearly shown to use her quirk at full max to block the blow.

Deku got hit by the heatwave's from Dabi's flames and fainted but he was pretty much on his last legs by then.

In the current war, apart from Todoroki the only characters shown to take attacks from Dabi are all Endeavor's sidekicks. Only one of them doesn't have flame resistance - Kido but he says he can divert the hot air away from him.

All in all, I don't think we can use Dabi as an example in this case.

Dabi has used FlashFire a countable number of times.
The entirety of the Todorokis has used Flashfire a countable number of times. What's it's significance?

Apart from Todoroki, the only other characters to tank FlashFire attacks is Nejire who was directing a 100% Wave Motion at Shigaraki before getting hit by a nameless FlashFire move which she used her attack to block. She was still burned but we can't ignore that she was clearly shown to use her quirk at full max to block the blow.
Of course we can't ignore that Wave Motion probably blocked the flames, but we can't really downplay the attack she took as just a "nameless Flashfire". Especially since it came from Dabi, canonically stated to have flames superior to his father and youngest brother, whose flame aura alone was melting carbon fiber at that moment. Nejire still got engulfed by Flashfire and came out of it over a hundred times better than any Nomu that took a Flashfire attack.

We can just say that some of the heat dissipated/weakened, in other words got dampened to a degree by Wave Motion. It's better to interpret this as an impressive feat for Nejire rather than an unimpressive feat for Dabi. But it's undeniable that this was a glaring example of what I was talking about.

Deku got hit by the heatwave's from Dabi's flames and fainted but he was pretty much on his last legs by then.
Admittedly, the attack Deku took is not the strongest evidence, considering it was just a AoE heatwave which probably isn't Flashfire levels of temperatures. Nevertheless, him being near the point of fainting isn't a counterargument, it would otherwise be supporting my point as Deku who was on his last legs was mostly uninjured from Dabi's temperature-based attacks.

I would point out that there is really nothing too big about this, it's a classic trope. MHA's full of them. It is what it is.

So leaks are out

AFO caught an L from the extras of his story. He’s definitely not down though especially since Endeavor could still get up
Part of his mask broke from the attack, but he’s still in the action. Interesting how the vestiges are seemingly fighting back against AFO in the world, almost like it’s their soul

AFO gets Resistance to Soul Manipulation

Ok so Hawks could leave scratch marks on AFO’s helmet, and with enough speed he can crack it
Does that mean anything for his tier?

Ok so Hawks could leave scratch marks on AFO’s helmet, and with enough speed he can crack it
Does that mean anything for his tier?
The helmet is just equipment. We can't really tell how durable it is unless stated.

Significant stuff happening with Quirks right now is all heavily connected to the Quirk Singularity Theory. It's possible that AFO's stockpiled Quirks has gotten strong enough like OFA's, to the point that they develop their own Vestiges and now their individuality has solidified enough to rebel against AFO, who is weakened somehow by Jiro's attack.

While I am sort of disappointed in the series for not maximizing the build up and explanation as well as the significance of the QST as well as the Vestiges, I still expect Horikoshi to expound on these things in the upcoming chapters to a degree. We all should (or rather, we all aldready do) expect that as Deku will most likely fight AFO/Shigaraki in their shared Vestige World and AFO's main body's defeat will have something to do with what happens in this chapter.

Basically more Vestige/Quirk lore dump in this arc is what I'm predicting, specifically more about their connection that was touched upon by OFA's Vestiges.

Back