• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Why, for the love of God, can we not look at a character's actual feats instead of resorting to these scaling chains to justify these massive upgrades?
Because scaling does exist, and trying to act like it doesn't is in my opinion not acceptable. Scaling chains are going to happen, and without any evidence of the contrary there should be no reason not to follow them. If we didn't many characters would simply lack any ratings, just like at the 7-A characters and their scaling.

Actually I'm planning on fixing that scaling chain as best I can. Scaling people to what they actually did against other characters, instead of this roundabout way.

Of course direct scaling/feats will always take precedent, but base Izuku (And more) will not have those feats. But he has statements and scaling that might place him at Tier 8. A good chunk of characters in a verse will lack feats and rely on scaling completely. So we have to take what we can, especially if the results has no reason to be disputed. We aren't making anything up, as I said I wouldn't bring up the 5% statement if it was the only thing. But it really isn't.

Izuku's statement, at this moment anyway, seems to me that his base is superior to Monoma. Monoma has not received the same training as Izuku, as such his body is weaker and can't handle OFA like he can. The meaning appears clear, at least to myself. Monoma is inferior to Base Izuku, even BoS Izuku, as he doesn't lose his limbs from 100%. I actually find it absurd that Izuku can become hundreds of times stronger with 5% and not really comment on it.

Also I do hope you aren't straining yourself. I'd like to say I don't want you to leave at all, because your like the only person who actually tries to stop sudden upgrades that are very sketchy. I admit to falling into a pit where I can't see what is clearly wrong, just because I don't see outside my own personal bias.

However I know it'd be bad to tell someone to continue to do something they're starting to dislike. So all I'll say on that matter is that I hope you do whatever you feel is best for yourself. Since at the end of the day, this stuff is all just a hobby and shouldn't be the cause of any real problems. Apologies if this was uncalled for, just that I'm the type to always worry and think about the worst possible outcome. I can't help myself.

Scaling chains are going to happen, and without any evidence of the contrary there should be no reason not to follow them. If we didn't many characters would simply lack any ratings, just like at the 7-A characters and their scaling.

It's a controversial take but I think it'd be genuinely better if we did rate several characters with Unknowns rather than giving them ratings and saying "Other characters with this character's rank are X level, or these people in the same organization are Y level so everyone should be, etc."

Not necessarily for some MHA characters in particular, but for many series and many characters, people are more obsessed with powerscaling characters than actually finding out a character's true depiction of strength.

If a character can be chosen to be rated off their own feats or via powerscaling, people will almost always go for powerscaling if it is higher.

Also, when we run into a scaling chain that is 10+ characters long, then I think we can't put much stock into the accuracy of our ratings.

That is very much true and I actually agree that is usually the best case. But I also feel like going too far in that direction can also be bad. Since some people have a type of ratings or rankings based solely on strength. And while we see two characters fight with who have high rank than... let's say a High 7-C character.

Their only feats are 8-A to Low 7-C or something. They have higher ranking due to being stronger, so the scaling should be fine in that instant. There will always be moments where something can be find in one moment, but not fine in other moment. Due to context and how the "scaling" presented.

I can understand the hesitation, and many people really do dislike Unknown. I mean Monaka (DBS) was 3-B+ for the longest time, until we realized he was a joke. People just seem to prefer of just giving characters their ratings they "should have" instead of taking an Unknown. Though at this point this is becoming a different issue all together.

I agree with this more or less and have brought it up in the past. The argument in favor for full scale back then was energy transfer or something, since the bots just bulldozes through things so every part of its body scales.
Don't really think that's how it works though, especially with how tough the armor is and how energy transfer means the force spreads out throughout the body, lessening the impact.
I had thought that was because like in the first shot in the calc we currently use (the 9-B one) it shows them breaking through it with relative easy, and a majority of UA Students who were there (even ones who didn’t pass) would have likely taken hits (we see Mineta get gut checked by one and Deku is physically comparable to him not according to the data book but.... shut up)
Though I'm not sure how significant the damage those landmine explosions would do to Deku. Weren't other students taking those explosions at close vicinity and were all fine with non-significant injuries? The armor plate did fully protect Deku though.
Yes to this, non hero course students kinda just took it without issue, just being stunned for a bit.

BOS Base Deku can hurt Bakugo with a shoulder toss and take direct physical attacks from him. Him not being scaled to that has always been ridiculous. Monoma, someone who also scales to far higher values than 9-B, being worried to explode from trying to use 100%, further backs up that BOS Base Deku is stronger than the rating he currently has.

It’s not even introducing new scaling, it’s support for an already established idea that that key of Deku should not be several million times weaker than 5%, which he verbatim says is a small increase in power.

BOS Base Deku can hurt Bakugo with a shoulder toss and take direct physical attacks from him. Him not being scaled to that has always been ridiculous. Monoma, someone who also scales to far higher values than 9-B, being worried to explode from trying to use 100%, further backs up that BOS Base Deku is stronger than the rating he currently has.

It’s not even introducing new scaling, it’s support for an already established idea that that key of Deku should not be several million times weaker than 5%, which he verbatim says is a small increase in power.
The exact number is 11145.833333x
which is a lot.

Inb4 “he said he wouldn’t kill him so obviously he’s putting no force at all into his strikes and CAN hold back that much power” just like last time with no evidence to suggest it at all.

Why is Kirishima rated at unknown for durability in JT despite his durability section literally saying he took hits from Gudevan?
Also why does his AP increase so much?

Ah, so Bakugo is physically 9-B, then grew 11000x stronger to be able to fight 5% in a few months. What a revolutionary idea.
And people ask me why I think Villain Hunter Deku is around UA Beginnings 5% in AP terms when the man is leagues higher than his EA Counterpart who is higher than his JT counterpart who is again, leagues above Monama in terms of physical strength

Deku also hurt Shoto with a headbutt, but apparently we assumed he was using 5% for no reason at all Imao.

Also Therefir you got any good idea for LS calcs? I really wanna get 8% into the Class K tier, and I wanna get VH Deku into Class 25

Didn‘t he like, blow up his arms every other time with OFA in the festival? I can’t tell if your joking or not
Nah, in the Cavalry battle he learned it on the spot to move Shoto’s arm, then he did it again when fighting Shoto for real with two of his punches.

We have no frame of reference of him ever using it on his head though, so assuming he did is very odd.

Didn‘t he like, blow up his arms every other time with OFA in the festival? I can’t tell if your joking or not
No he punches Todoroki with a 5% punch (Where his durability comes from), and used it earlier in the sports festival to blow out his fire during the Calvary Battle.

Izuku can use 5% with concentration.

Things that suggest Deku scales to 5%:

He claims it is a small increase in power

Bakugo, who can hurt 5%, hits Deku and Deku takes the hit without any significant injury at all

He headbutts Shoto, who can withstand 5% punches, as well as kicks from Recipro Burst Iida, and hurts him

Monoma, a character noted to be several times weaker than 8%, does not have a strong enough body to handle 100%, but Base Deku does

Anything I’m missing

Things that suggest Deku scales to 5%:

He claims it is a small increase in power

Bakugo, who can hurt 5%, hits Deku and Deku takes the hit without any significant injury at all

He headbutts Shoto, who can withstand 5% punches, as well as kicks from Recipro Burst Iida, and hurts him

Monoma, a character noted to be several times weaker than 8%, does not have a strong enough body to handle 100%, but Base Deku does

Anything I’m missing
I’d say scale him lower (because why would base =5% if 5% is stronger) but no

Hey guys remember this?
So Deku has shots confirming his “air bullets” As shockwaves (we use it in the calc for his 100%)
Does this mean we can use supersonic here cause even his lower percents were on a SOS level
this is another joke just for the fun of it
supersonic + reactions Deku, MHS+ Nagant bullets

It makes zero sense to say that base Deku scales to 5% Deku.

People really be acting like base Deku from the beginning of the series should scale to Bakugo's strongest explosions from the Sports Festival arc. I'm convinced I'm reading a different series to some people.

“Given the level my body is at, even when I control it… it only give a small increase in power”

He is directly comparing the power gained from 5% to his base power and regards the difference as small. This is before he even realizes it IS 5%, as All Might tells him where he’s at literally the next panel.

The power he gains from, what he knew at the time, his “controlled” power, is not big. He directly states that.

Deku directly states the boost in power he gets is small. He can hurt and take hits from people that can fight 5%. Literally where does this make zero sense.
It does make sense. I mean like, It makes more sense the Bakugou becoming 11145x stronger in like 2 weeks to fight 5%. especially when the same people say we can’t use the percentages of OFA in a “because we see massive jumps in power and speed, we should assume that the percentage number is an atleast number.” Type way

He is not comparing his base power to to power gained from 5%. The only other frame of reference for how much power he can get from One For All is 100%. He's saying that when he is controlling it, he gets a small increase in power compared to what he normally gets.

At least that is my interpretation of the statement. It makes no sense for him in base to be truly comparable to 5% of All Might's power.

Back