• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

It took Bakugo 4.13 seconds to move 50 meters. Which is only Peak Human. 5% Izuku is equal to Bakugo's speed so he's only Peak Human as well.

Machia is one of the faster characters, and Pro Heroes even stated he was too fast. His top speed was 100 km per hour, which is 27.77 m/s or Superhuman.

It took All Might 30 seconds to travel 5 km, which is 166 m/s or Subsonic. So only the god tiers like All Might, AFO, Shigaraki, and 100% Izuku are Subsonic.

While the verse speed is between Peak Human and Superhuman. These are facts. /s

Replies are funny asf lmao

But it feels bare bones to compare Deku to Lee when Lee already had powers to begin with, he just needed to train his body to use it. Also, people think this is Batman and Quirkless Deku will beat villains using boomerangs and ropes.

Rock Lee has superpowers, he just can only use one aspect of them, and even then, he got a mentor to train him from an early age, with his will to be a ninja stemming from believing in and proving himself.

Deku has no powers, had no mentor and grew up in a fractured society that drilled the belief of being a hero into everyone. He wants to be a hero because he was born with an inane urge to be like All Might, because he believes that will finally make him not worthless.

That comparison is terrible and would require Deku to not fight any of the actual villains he has fought or a dynamic overhaul of the entire series lore and setting to make a quirkless hero work in anyway.

People just ignore that Lee has superstrength, superspeed, and enhanced durability + ninja senses when making such comparisons?! Lee might lack the versitility that most ninja have but he still has the base abilities that all ninja have in terms of enhanced stats and as a Taijutsu master, his enhanced stats are way above his agemates.

I saw a comment there proclaiming Deku got OFA on a silver platter, these guys clearly didn't watch the first episode. 🌑
Or the episode after where he works for nearly a year just to have a baseline to achieve it.

Then how it did nothing for him other than break his bones and cause him to work even harder to control it.

Then when he did control it he didn’t gain anything other than needing to master it further because he still wasn’t the best and still couldn’t do everything without destroying himself.

I saw a comment there proclaiming Deku got OFA on a silver platter, these guys clearly didn't watch the first episode. 🌑
This really isn't the place to be dropping character analysis and bibles of texts, but...

hold-my-beer-2021hold-my-beer.gif

The definition a hero is someone who does good deeds without requesting any compensation. This is something that many of the modern-day pro heroes overlook in the series. Characters like Mt. Lady are only in the hero business solely for clout and their paycheck, which is contradictory to the actual definition of a hero.

Despite this, they’re still regarded for their excellent control over their quirks and flashy outfits. They are respected and praised by all of society. It’s obvious the definition of the word hero has been forgotten. Even the Number One hero in the series, All Might (Toshinori Yagi) has seemingly forgotten the true meaning of heroism, and he was hailed as the holy grail in terms of heroics, at least in Japan.

All Might, who has reduced the crime rate down to six percent and works tirelessly to maintain peace even if it gets in the way of his daily life, has indeed forgotten what it means to be a true hero. Of course, he still helps people, not because it’s his job, but because he genuinely wants to save lives. But after putting on a fake smile for so long just so the world can stay at ease.. Of course, one would forget why you’d smile, to begin with. That is the inner conflict that All Might has within the first chapter.

There is an example of what All Might act like when it comes to being a hero. That example is a middle school student, conveniently named Izuku Midoriya. Being 14 years old and possibly the only quirkless kid in his school, he’s pretty unlucky. Which is saddening, because he’s discriminated against. But is that all to his character? Bravery, heroism, and fear? Basic traits that can make a basic hero. This question is often asked from time to time by the people within the fandom. The common claims that are used to describe his character are; basic, having no real depth, and cookie-cutter. This can’t be further from the truth.

Imagine that for a decade of your life, in fact, a good majority of your life is spent getting discriminated against for the way you're born. Izuku is someone who desperately wanted to become someone society told him he couldn’t become, and as a result? He has emotional scars. Izuku is a victim. A normal person, if they don’t struggle with mental health or any of the baggage Izuku has, would most likely tell his or her inner demons to buzz off along with the people who are giving them shit. But keep in mind, Izuku is not a normal person. He’s someone who was discriminated against because of his genetics.

This affected him in a plethora of negative ways. He’s timid, has little to no self-esteem, and in terms of physical ability? Is well below the standards of what a hero course student should be at. Izuku’s character is actually filled with depth. Izuku is frustrated at the fact that he’s been told he can’t become a hero for over a decade. He obviously has pent-up frustration. He’s not just some goody-two-shoes who can forgive anyone. That may sound cowardly, but it’s incredibly realistic and relatable.

Whenever he is bullied, discriminated against, or treated like dirt, there are always words that go unsaid between him and his abuser; Katsuki Bakugou, because he’s always pressured into holding them back.

101qVlC3OUbVaTL8lLKOgaTYAangfmYHUtVRu-lvcfECBQSSbewWTGA1xgR1GLDHYILP4fB68LJjGxGSsj0hiGCbsTBPncy63w_JoB5YqcvooM0Vd_FOalU0RTghxarbzP9dfVDx

Katsuki has always been kind of an asshole to him, on a surface level. He’s petty, annoying, irrational, and most of all; a jerk. Goodness is he a jerk. But the one positive thing that I can say about him is that he’s strong. Not emotionally, just physically. He puts in hours into honing the power that he claims will allow him to become stronger than someone All Might.

In terms of admiration, he probably admires All Might even more than Izuku does. But for all the wrong reasons. Rather than his courage, bravery, and inner strength, Katsuki admires him solely on his physical power alone. Which warps his perception as to what true strength is.

We already know that the human mind is something that is… illogical. Something which can easily be fixated on irrationality and lies. So if Katsuki’s entire childhood is spent admiring All Might solely off his power alone, instead of coming to terms with the fact that power doesn’t necessarily equate to strength… Yeah, that has some consequences.

Most notably; his treatment of Izuku. Again, on a surface level, their rivalry (if you could even call it that at this point in the story) just seems like he’s using Izuku as a punching bag for ***** and giggles. While I don’t think that’s necessarily untrue, it’s important to keep in mind that something that may seem surface level, could be a lot more complex than you think it is. Katsuki’s perception of “strength” is so warped that he’s begun to treat people who are weaker than him as lesser people. His arrogance isn’t just the downfall to him, it’s the antithesis to Izuku’s character, who admires All Might for a completely different reason, one which mirrors Katsuki.

And it’s not just Katsuki who’s perfectly willing to shit in his cheerios. It’s the entire damn school presumably. The teachers don’t seem to intervene when Katsuki and his lackeys make obvious attempts at upsetting and undermining Izuku as a person. Izuku’s classmates, and presumably the entire school don’t make attempts to stop the bullying and needless verbal abuse… the entire school is against him. Sure, the guy is Quirkless, but what could he do to deserve such treatment? Well, the question is not why he deserved the treatment, it’s why he’s continuing to receive the treatment. His experience with being quirkless for the past decade has made him insecure about himself and socially awkward. Which is… Surprisingly realistic.

Most bullies would back away from you if you stood up to them. Show them who’s the boss. After years of emotional trauma and abuse, Izuku doesn’t have the backbone necessary to do so thanks to Katsuki and his classmates constantly berating him. Which almost never leads down a good path for an adolescent teenager.

And all of this emotional baggage isn’t blatantly shown, stated, or hinted at. I was completely oblivious to it when I first watched the series. You, as the audience, the reader, the watcher will notice the small movements, gestures, or a difference in tone for Izuku. His character is not told to you, it is shown. This admittedly is something that every shonen manga does (even Dragon Ball can do it), but when it’s the main method in revealing important details about your main character and supporting cast… it becomes more interesting.

There’s a famous line from one of my favorite superhero movies Unbreakable, which states the following. “Real life doesn’t fit into boxes that were drawn for it.” Emotional trauma and mental health aren’t something that is just explained to you. A therapist can’t just walk up to someone and read their emotions as if everything they’re thinking about is in a thought bubble (like in a comic book). In order to read someone and their emotions, you’d have to pay attention to small gestures, behavioral habits, maybe even the way that they talk. They just don’t open up to you.

Izuku is like a living, breathing, person, with the way that the audience can slowly piece together why he is the way he is, and what makes him tick. You’re not just given or shown a set of events and then form an objective conclusion about who he is as a character, you’re given small and subtle details that several chapters later end up blossoming into a plot point.

While I myself as a critic, don’t think that is particularly what I’d call ‘genius’ story-telling, I believe that the writing for Izuku in this aspect of his character is wonderfully written. And it’s not just the writing I have to complement, it’s the art. Since that plays a big part in understanding Izuku’s emotions. Overall, it’s incredibly detailed, and complemented by the unique look that Horikoshi gives it. All of the things that are needed to completely sell the reader on Izuku’s character.

Speaking of Izuku’s character, one of the most notable traits about his character is that he doesn’t think highly of himself, despite being one of the smartest kids in his school. He never tries to rub shoulders with the best of the best, he always thinks that he’s incapable of doing so. It’s not like Izuku doesn’t feel frustrated at how society treats him. With the way Horikoshi drew this panel, he’s obviously visibly disturbed at how Katsuki told him to commit suicide

lM4XKGmp7BMSpXGuAmkeAbZCFqwSB7NqI7AVjyuO7nzvlI93RfCt9c4T7qbNKQIlf3L3wvV57SLiu7tEo4Rt6F-XmSq4ALhQjp8ivdRYgZ69UsQax--zHUGvMQLszg1C27ZnG13A

All of this frustration, self-hatred, decrepitation, anger, shame, fear, stress. The root of it all stems from just being told he can’t become a hero at the young age of four. Being told you can’t accomplish your childhood dream before you could even grow out of your child is something that most children shouldn’t have to deal with. But because of bad parenting practices (no offense to his mother), it served as a traumatic experience for him. Having that much trauma at the young age of four is something that will have a long-lasting impact on your life.

And yet Izuku is still capable of moving forward in life, pushing past the pain and negativity to further his goal of becoming a hero. A lot of people think he’s weak or cowardly, which is simply untrue. While he may lack the courage necessary to stop people from antagonizing him for his genetics, it’s the inner strength that counts.

The ability to keep moving and pursuing your goal, even when you know that there’s a high chance that you’ll fail shouldn’t just be defined as bravery, it should be defined as true strength. Not the strength that Katsuki admires, that false pillar of hope which is useless if you don’t know how to direct it, the actual strength that All Might possesses. The actual strength that allowed him to drastically alter the way Japan views heroism, the strength that inspires hopes in the lives of many.

Most people would give up after being told they’re quirkless. In fact, that’s the lifestyle that many people within the series have. In spin-offs, movies, etc. We’re repeatedly shown how many people have had their lives ruined simply because of their outlook on life. Izuku is one of the only people in the series who kept moving after being repeatedly told to stay down by society.

This is why I never considered Izuku’s character generic. Because while yes, his character may seem simple at first, upon a closer look, it’s cleverly crafted. I know I sound like a broken record by saying “it’s well made, it’s amazing, it’s genius” but I’m really just trying to convey the idea that something which may seem simplistic might turn out to be incredibly sophisticated.

Most shonen protagonists are generic at heart. Most of these protagonists are the author’s take on a trope or trait that a lot of existing fictional characters have in common. For example, Naruto is headstrong, childish, and a rookie ninja who dreams of a seemingly impossible goal. Now, take away the isolation he received as a child which molded his character into this, and you have yourself something which mirrors that of a trope.

In fact, Izuku’s character may seem similar to that of Naruto’s. Simply because he seems to be isolated from society because of something out of his control. When in reality, Izuku is just a different take on what Naruto was inspired by as a character; discrimination.

Let’s face it, characters being treated like chopped liver due to race or genetics (or something ridiculous like a Kaiju living inside of them) isn’t actually something that originated from Naruto or any shonen manga. It’s something that occurs in real life; our society. Once again, proving my point that Izuku’s character is incredibly realistic in regards to the portrayal of discrimination.

The same can be said for Asta, Luffy, and even Saitama. All of these characters have something that’s taken and inspired by various other forms of media, and in some cases, real life. And yet all of these characters are seen on a high pedestal by many manga/anime fans. It’s extremely hypocritical to dislike Izuku’s character simply because he’s the author’s take on a specific genre. Or to put it simply; because he’s not “special.”

Even then, Izuku is written in a way that makes him feel realistic like he could actually be a person within our reality without us knowing. But despite all of this, Izuku is still human. This means he can be broken down at the slightest moment, and be put together in shambles of what he truly once was.

Even his idol, the Number One hero, after he was saved by him from the Sludge Villain, said he couldn’t be a hero, not when he was quirkless. He just didn’t have the strength to become one. Of course, the reason Izuku dreams of becoming a hero isn’t because of the money or fame he’d receive, he just wants to save people, save people with a fearless smile, just like his idol, All Might would.

4lRpLDpid0WXEhDsWPTnQycEEZtYeKd4zHHX2GD0CAzvfM1OVEbMNdTaENmuIZ4dglO4sSAfUD-FrniJunbjTX7fP9WhBKqKOh51-mefFOgnQkzCwYMXPDK51_kvUduklXqkcNpn

We’re usually taught that it’s okay to dream about achieving a goal, or doing something great for the good of society, but it needs to be realistic. Izuku just doesn’t have the strength to become a hero the way he is.

He’s average at best in terms of athletic ability, and while his ability to memorize and use the fighting styles and moves of various heroes would technically make him a genius for his age, I bet he doesn’t really understand how to build or create support items to make up for his physically weak body.

So, we’re back to the question of how is Izuku going to become a hero, despite being implied to have no power? Well, to any of you paying close attention to his character, you would’ve realized that he’s already deserving of the title of “hero.”

0gdE9VeYZCrRUUdZ2lP_M3wgIj_WuO18mYxklA4ZvC-kcnqWeMJqu8fjg2S5dQAtySy_hh29AiEwut_qoWsXsr2bRtPhRxUF28JomBJ63UyFsaCwDSbY7BwrLZC2EbMgJQdBHPr2

To break down this scene, Izuku is essentially trying to rescue the same person (Katsuki) who has made his life a living hell for over a decade, from the villain who nearly killed him presumably only a few hours ago, all the while he was still reeling from the fact that his idol, the Number One hero himself, admitted that he couldn’t become a hero. (Keep in mind this all happened in one day. Why? Sum it all up to shounen protagonist luck.)

Let’s forget the question that has already been answered, why did Izuku attempt to endanger his life over someone who’s treated him like trash for a decade of his life?

In truth? Even Izuku doesn’t know. Although, from the panels of the comic book itself, he uttered these sentences, which I quote; “Why am I running? What am I doing? Why?! My legs just started moving!” The scene then proceeds to shift to the narrator giving his opinion on this, “There was any number of reasons. But at that moment…” And finally, it switches back to Izuku. “You… You looked like you needed saving.”

It came down to the unconscious desire of wanting to save and protect others, despite not having the capability of doing so. Izuku truly would have nothing to gain from this situation other than the risk factor of being killed along with his former best friend. Some might consider his actions moronic, stupid, reckless, and even suicidal to an extent. Some of those accusations might be right. But ultimately, it’s All Might’s words himself that showcased the plot's true intention.

All Might says this on the next page, “The lesson I left you with… I should practice what I preach!!” A pro hero should always be ready to risk his life!!”

This is alluding to the concept of a “true hero.” Someone who is willing to put their life on the line for something or someone and ask for no compensation in return. All Might almost didn’t save Katsuki. This is because he has an injury on his chest which prohibits him from holding his hero form for more than a couple of hours a day. The thing that’s so great about this scene is that All Might didn’t suddenly grow a pair of balls and decided to put his life on the line, he was inspired to do so by the mad man himself, Izuku. Heck, All Might considered himself pathetic for not acting sooner.

q9K4Mxhmyj2r-rAwzugZg18gWRr71NFQC3h0bhEEbkGXh42x2gDE56gSvzLT-9mptNgxFcKXH0sGpAi7swjpOi_rff_g3ANCA9vCg-20kRC7x-i3Omt_T1GmQ5jT8x59VMNSHSWS

What backs up my statement, even more, is what All Might said after he and Izuku meet once again. “Without you… If I hadn’t heard your story… I’d have been nothing but fake muscles and insincerity!! So thank you!!”

This basically cements the fact that All Might, the Number One hero himself, who has saved presumably thousands of people by the time he met Izuku, has been inspired by this quirkless kid whose only saving grace is that he unconsciously understood the meaning of “hero.” But we can’t ignore how blatantly suicidal his actions were, even Izuku acknowledged this himself.
eV7NQ0tPn-MEBYjJ_CSiInSwr6n3K4YDqsSDbXH1nVoq64Jj-7hkj9x_C_o6Jm7K5nf2r3TocMOh6RL2rjvDLNJ3ZFupIcRu6ShNLvcMc2SctOm1kmLEDskv1HShIrjricnU32ze

Izuku is correct here. If it had not been for All Might, his efforts to save Katsuki would’ve been for naught. It was extremely reckless of him to do so. This is exactly why All Might is praising him. You can’t become or aspire to be a hero without being reckless. The very idea of putting your life on the line to save someone you don’t even know is reckless personified…

Yes, being unnecessarily risking your life is a bad idea, dare I say even stupid. But ask yourselves; did Izuku needlessly risk his life? Up until All Might appeared, he was the only one who actually helped free Katsuki. All of the previous efforts done by the official pro heroes there were pretty much useless. Izuku had a reason to risk his life, and a valid one in his eyes.

While Katsuki may not have been what many would consider being a “decent person,’ it’s not like Izuku would just let him die to some random villain. Not when he has the ability to act, to do something, to help him. That’s the true nature of being a hero; helping when help isn’t wanted.

But what further enticed me when reading this story for the first time, is All Might’s next lines. “Of all the people at the scene… It was only you, timid and quirkless, who acted!! You spurred me to action!! Most of the top heroes show signs of greatness even as children.. Many of them claim that… Their bodies simply moved before they could think!! That’s what.. Happened to you back there, yes?! You can be a hero.”

This interaction between Izuku and All Might may seem unimportant at first (like most of the moments mentioned here), but upon closer inspection, the message it delivers is an excellent and well-written one. All of the other heroes are not true heroes. They might have a sense of good and enjoy helping people, but ultimately they have an ulterior motive when it comes to heroism, whether it be for money, fame, or just the thrill.

Izuku doesn’t have a motive other than wanting to help people, which is showcased on the first page of chapter one. With him defending a kid from a group of bullies, despite losing in the end. He was the only one who acted against the sludge villain, and it was him who inspired All Might, the man who’s supported society with his bare hands to act his part as a true hero.

There isn’t a word or any sentence I could come up with which would describe how excellently this is delivered. Also, it’s worth noting that the animated version of this scene improved on everything present in this scene greatly, as it befitted it with wonderful music and visuals. Overall? The first chapter or arc is what could make or break the series, and I’d say Horikoshi made an excellent first impression, and it only gets better from here on out.

Reeling off of the cocktails of the first chapter, literally right after All Might praises Izuku, he asks him to inherit his power. The quirk’s name is One for All. An ability capable of being passed onto multiple users. Of course, this sounds a bit ridiculous at first, for Izuku to gain the power-set of the strongest man on Earth in only chapter 2, but it ain’t that simple, as we’re told.

GOAWD6AcpmRzQHxhfU65rTShJBgayGwusZNZz6fXTWcaRG3mgswPOaNc9GEVd1xqkgmE_6h2NQbYZ_8F8ORRhmCoHhVqmpIlRR8ZvupeEscMs6BX0wL9MPL57FMeM6Gawso4v6fF

Fast-forwarding to the next scene, we’re treated to a scene that shows All Might training Izuku. Why? Because in order to receive his power, Izuku has to be as physically athletic as possible, less he wants to blow his limbs off. Which would have very disastrous consequences… For obvious reasons. Moreover, this is Horikoshi’s attempt at building tension with the story and making Izuku work for his power.

A lot of people actually think Izuku was handed One for All, which is wrong. As he is not really being handed this power, more so he earned it. He’s shown signs of having the heart of a hero, he’s the one who inspired All Might, he has the drive.

And then there’s the physical training. Izuku truly has to work harder than anyone else to even have a chance at wielding One for All. He is shown doing push-ups, using hand-grips, moving trash that weighs several hundred kilos and even lifting freaking All Might on his back. (For reference, HE stated himself he weighs 255 kilograms). That’s something that most people. ;et alone teenagers wouldn’t even be able to accomplish, let alone hope to do.

-qDH5iJ7z6AZtf4OmYHZQuIaw8lysnfzAVKeaLi4jFHTsqFw-rDouFKgNnDHsd-mqvas0Rd2tSTC6bq45R7llwFLVJUVVQ1EV7fFOol84KBRjFKvcd3PjnJAgAsL1fKXPmpcmFDp

All of this work was crammed within 10 months according to All Might. In fact, they barely made it when you notice that Izuku has been overworking himself, which required All Might to adjust his training schedule.

If that isn’t the hard work, dedication, even the blood sweat of tears that are being SHOWN directly to the audience, then I don’t know what blood, sweat, tears, hard work, and dedication are. So, as I pretty obviously started a few times, Izuku worked for 10 months to receive One for All, to the point where he could only consider those said 10 months hell.

One of the things this suggests is that Izuku isn’t cowardly. A coward wouldn’t be able to live up to the responsibility of utilizing One for All, they’d reject the power as soon they’d become apparent of the fact they’d have to exercise their body to peak-human physical levels of strength. Izuku is the opposite of this. He was the person who rushed in to save Katsuki, despite knowing his life was on the line. He is aware of his shortcomings physically and developed an analytical mindset. Now he is the person who’s going to receive One for All. Heck, All Might support this idea himself

And finally, we see how all of that hard work paid off for him.

1TTb3SVf3wwH6OcE-C7K5uj2KOr8ggklT4H3UTHlGPifsFtu-hJJLXYWFo_GLj1ioj7Lr7uYOhorM5bWPRp5_SG_YyNgB_31KC9oGfh0WW3_rF-q99UQAnFzwDC0hC8aiWwCWg-T

Unfortunately, time is not on Izuku’s side, as All Might, despite being genuinely amazed and proud at how Izuku cleaned up the beach without a speck to spot), instructs him to get ready for the Entrance Exam. It is also revealed that Izuku doesn’t automatically become as broken as All Might is, that is far from the truth.

All Might actually warn him that he might be in danger of still… Breaking or fracturing something, depending on how his body will adapt to One for All. This would illustrate and drive home the point that Izuku is not being fed One for All. He worked for it, and now he has to (potentially) master it. This is a very good way to develop a character’s own power creep, as others shounen just give the character some type of power-up with no incredible drawbacks so early on in the series, to get them started at least. The series has made sure early on that Izuku won’t bulldoze his way through the competition. And that is proven in the Entrance Exam.

Unfortunately, time isn’t on his side as the story then reveals he never had the time available to test out One for All. This is alarming, considering he has an entire practical portion of a hero exam to ace, but he’s the protagonist, he’ll find a way to win this easily, right?! That is very wrong. First off, Izuku is lacking self-confidence here, as shown when he encountered Katsuki. Hell, he’s so nervous that he nearly trips and falls, thankfully, someone named Ochako caught him with her gravity quirk.

This isn’t even the end of his bad luck. It’s revealed by the examiners that in order for the hero course examines to pass, they’ll have to rack up points, by fighting robots.
  • And of course, he’s even criticized for muttering about how awesome it is to witness a speech done by Present Mic, because of reasons.

So in all honesty, Izuku has the right to be nervous, and somewhat anxious. People usually complain that for a protagonist, or even someone who’s going to succeed All Might, he’s too anxious all the time, or has butterflies in his stomach.

And those people always forget that Izuku is just a kid who’s been discriminated against for ten long years of his life, and is now just getting the chance to compete with everyone.

KF9B9yP0mGBzvqCd6mCzg8p6H86HDVQlNFa4swXnZLiYMduldSXlRXACU44u13HGlIRdFqjyM9j-H5Wuz0CCvUWsQgdL2IAsBKb1y6M77xIgarMWlB5sSOJwZppjIh7bW1gwNEB5

I think this expression is very warranted for the experiences and type of character that Izuku is, combined with the fact that this is an exam that could make or break Izuku’s chance at a successor to All Might.
  • Side note; the phrase said by Present Mic is a nice foreshadowing of what’s to come next.

But outside of Izuku’s response being warranted… He doesn’t really have a chance at the physical portion of the exam. He can’t score any points. Outside of One for All, he’s just an ordinary, extremely athletic fifteen-year-old. He doesn’t have the strength necessary to bend and fracture metal upon impact, and even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he could, the competition wouldn’t allow him to get any points.

iNI0U1Zdi4mPE-FOu4nayfdxf6_XEFgL-QD31G1LOIUNEyr17FkE4-5e4f5TM1dtGjI2EbM_gjiN2utK2Y3b45H_AXV1SsQeTUxh4bKo0-HZj1f3lgsqQ3C34x7yo6Weex664Y5N

The entire area of Izuku’s exam location barely leaves him any room to score any points. There’s little to no possibility of him being able to pass the practical portion of the exam. The little chance Izuku ever did have was stomped out by the Zero Pointer being activated.

CNXfDZazL5vBchVQtbuulFbAyJAPeIGcpVwM-8hlzB_ZW8CxwEGes6jA4y5UYFevGSalWGUjbA2ApcYtkOtQEYU7vGx16Qu1uZ2M-CGZjwBnQvQ_d0og-VnO_STRVResxWrH-LfZ

At this point, Izuku is scared. At this point, he seemingly gives up on trying to win any points, and runs tail like all of the other examinees. But there is an amazing quote said by the examiners.

KdAZIpr7ff4-mjonQilcTnmpjamU1DSF3_yw9aXNNzfPgpd-cCfL5i4lM94-ZeH7mqsYLldpN0ttWX_sXDnabt_Qot1Kw2Hw2hDn88mSsX0VbgHKHoINjHQ4LI44hPleZXKggjcU

When faced with overwhelming odds and little chance of success, everyone reveals their true colors, what drives them, what they feel deep down inside, etc. That feeling for Izuku is fear.

Izuku is not some ungodly shounen protagonist who has the best luck on the planet and the best attitude to boot. Sometimes he’s scared and can’t act. That’s only natural when you’re faced with odds so great you wondered why you even tried. But the one thing which does drive Izuku to accomplish his goal is the one thing that he doesn’t back away from in terms of ideals in heroism. Because above all else, he’ll disregard all of his fears to save someone.

GfXRYVdtKiDRA6b_K-O-K3rcxJxvPGC4i9bdIsTEu9_KQZdo4ykaZxUyUa-to3LUXNfkXoMMbyESIlbG1leHSaLqF2PwdYTjRlQmRyX731HIV_i51yjd_FAINB7biymx-iu0xL0I

And that’s the reason why Izuku risked his life to save Ochako. Despite not even knowing how to activate One for All, despite him knowing that he could break himself, he still did what he did. Izuku didn’t even know how to properly activate or use One for All, now all of a sudden he’s mastered the ability to use it. This goes to show just how much his morality for heroism drives him to accomplish goals. It’s amazing honestly.

We saw something similar happen in the first chapter when Izuku’s body moved on its own to save Katsuki, the only difference is that the story actually makes an attempt to put greater emphasis on it. Such as making note of how Izuku truly made a conscious effort to activate One for All with his own drive, or how that created a giant consequence for his actions. As All Might put it, he saved Ochako at a cost, a sacrifice, and that was his limbs breaking, give or take an arm, and both of his legs. Ouch.

SLMfZC1j2rkCXNxf8D_pLzyUhjxWkwaiVGiCw98rVNp8Pg3-fGjjLfExChCFEZ1OZud5aYhr38yKraoNKJqk_kPLOGltnJgUH8MGlH4caFQWUzZGmLS1QgfcaTtwrUQ3VZxeU34b

To all of those who say that Izuku, (at least in season one of the anime), overcame every trial with little difficulty and no major consequence, you’re wrong. Most likely, the story did this to show how far Izuku is willing to go to save someone, while also showing that while his actions may be heroic, astonishing, and downright awe-inspiring, they are also reckless.

It’s not that his actions aren’t justified, or that they're completely moronic. To be fair to Izuku, he didn’t really know his limbs would’ve exploded when he first used his power, and in his mind, he thought Ochako would’ve been crushed by the Zero Pointer, so he probably thought he had no choice, but the point being is that he’s far too willing to sacrifice himself. Izuku’s journey will not be an easy one. He might be the strongest in terms of physical strength at U.A, that doesn’t mean he’s the best in terms of experience.

He has no control over One for All at this point, considering the fact that he just learned to call upon its power, and it completely broke him. And thanks to his sacrifice, he ends up scoring zero points on the practical. At least, in terms of traditional methods. Part of being a hero is that you’re willing to sacrifice all towards saving someone, regardless of the consequences. So once again, this pretty much just drives home the point on why the story is so fixated on letting Izuku have One for All.

I know that was kind of overkill, but I was really sick of people degrading Deku's character. Plus? I had a lot of free time today, so there's that.

So, if any of you catch anyone saying something similar to that? Show them this. They'll probably be left speechless for weeks.

I think everyone would love to see Ufotable animate every single shonen action series. Those people better be treated like kings, they deserve it after everything I've seen.

Seriously though, Season 6 has to go crazy considering the Arc. Right now we don't even have a rumor of a new movie coming out, so this is already looking better. Bones can do some impressive stuff, so I'm hoping that they pull out all the stops for Season 6.

Ufotable should not be a standard, they're just another level of existence all together. But we need something that surpassing Season 2 ep 10.
Ufotable and MAPPA are ahead of their times if you ask me

This really isn't the place to be dropping character analysis and bibles of texts, but...

The definition a hero is someone who does good deeds without requesting any compensation. This is something that many of the modern-day pro heroes overlook in the series. Characters like Mt. Lady are only in the hero business solely for clout and their paycheck, which is contradictory to the actual definition of a hero.

Despite this, they’re still regarded for their excellent control over their quirks and flashy outfits. They are respected and praised by all of society. It’s obvious the definition of the word hero has been forgotten. Even the Number One hero in the series, All Might (Toshinori Yagi) has seemingly forgotten the true meaning of heroism, and he was hailed as the holy grail in terms of heroics, at least in Japan.

All Might, who has reduced the crime rate down to six percent and works tirelessly to maintain peace even if it gets in the way of his daily life, has indeed forgotten what it means to be a true hero. Of course, he still helps people, not because it’s his job, but because he genuinely wants to save lives. But after putting on a fake smile for so long just so the world can stay at ease.. Of course, one would forget why you’d smile, to begin with. That is the inner conflict that All Might has within the first chapter.

There is an example of what All Might act like when it comes to being a hero. That example is a middle school student, conveniently named Izuku Midoriya. Being 14 years old and possibly the only quirkless kid in his school, he’s pretty unlucky. Which is saddening, because he’s discriminated against. But is that all to his character? Bravery, heroism, and fear? Basic traits that can make a basic hero. This question is often asked from time to time by the people within the fandom. The common claims that are used to describe his character are; basic, having no real depth, and cookie-cutter. This can’t be further from the truth.

Imagine that for a decade of your life, in fact, a good majority of your life is spent getting discriminated against for the way you're born. Izuku is someone who desperately wanted to become someone society told him he couldn’t become, and as a result? He has emotional scars. Izuku is a victim. A normal person, if they don’t struggle with mental health or any of the baggage Izuku has, would most likely tell his or her inner demons to buzz off along with the people who are giving them shit. But keep in mind, Izuku is not a normal person. He’s someone who was discriminated against because of his genetics.

This affected him in a plethora of negative ways. He’s timid, has little to no self-esteem, and in terms of physical ability? Is well below the standards of what a hero course student should be at. Izuku’s character is actually filled with depth. Izuku is frustrated at the fact that he’s been told he can’t become a hero for over a decade. He obviously has pent-up frustration. He’s not just some goody-two-shoes who can forgive anyone. That may sound cowardly, but it’s incredibly realistic and relatable.

Whenever he is bullied, discriminated against, or treated like dirt, there are always words that go unsaid between him and his abuser; Katsuki Bakugou, because he’s always pressured into holding them back.

101qVlC3OUbVaTL8lLKOgaTYAangfmYHUtVRu-lvcfECBQSSbewWTGA1xgR1GLDHYILP4fB68LJjGxGSsj0hiGCbsTBPncy63w_JoB5YqcvooM0Vd_FOalU0RTghxarbzP9dfVDx

Katsuki has always been kind of an asshole to him, on a surface level. He’s petty, annoying, irrational, and most of all; a jerk. Goodness is he a jerk. But the one positive thing that I can say about him is that he’s strong. Not emotionally, just physically. He puts in hours into honing the power that he claims will allow him to become stronger than someone All Might.

In terms of admiration, he probably admires All Might even more than Izuku does. But for all the wrong reasons. Rather than his courage, bravery, and inner strength, Katsuki admires him solely on his physical power alone. Which warps his perception as to what true strength is.

We already know that the human mind is something that is… illogical. Something which can easily be fixated on irrationality and lies. So if Katsuki’s entire childhood is spent admiring All Might solely off his power alone, instead of coming to terms with the fact that power doesn’t necessarily equate to strength… Yeah, that has some consequences.

Most notably; his treatment of Izuku. Again, on a surface level, their rivalry (if you could even call it that at this point in the story) just seems like he’s using Izuku as a punching bag for ***** and giggles. While I don’t think that’s necessarily untrue, it’s important to keep in mind that something that may seem surface level, could be a lot more complex than you think it is. Katsuki’s perception of “strength” is so warped that he’s begun to treat people who are weaker than him as lesser people. His arrogance isn’t just the downfall to him, it’s the antithesis to Izuku’s character, who admires All Might for a completely different reason, one which mirrors Katsuki.

And it’s not just Katsuki who’s perfectly willing to shit in his cheerios. It’s the entire damn school presumably. The teachers don’t seem to intervene when Katsuki and his lackeys make obvious attempts at upsetting and undermining Izuku as a person. Izuku’s classmates, and presumably the entire school don’t make attempts to stop the bullying and needless verbal abuse… the entire school is against him. Sure, the guy is Quirkless, but what could he do to deserve such treatment? Well, the question is not why he deserved the treatment, it’s why he’s continuing to receive the treatment. His experience with being quirkless for the past decade has made him insecure about himself and socially awkward. Which is… Surprisingly realistic.

Most bullies would back away from you if you stood up to them. Show them who’s the boss. After years of emotional trauma and abuse, Izuku doesn’t have the backbone necessary to do so thanks to Katsuki and his classmates constantly berating him. Which almost never leads down a good path for an adolescent teenager.

And all of this emotional baggage isn’t blatantly shown, stated, or hinted at. I was completely oblivious to it when I first watched the series. You, as the audience, the reader, the watcher will notice the small movements, gestures, or a difference in tone for Izuku. His character is not told to you, it is shown. This admittedly is something that every shonen manga does (even Dragon Ball can do it), but when it’s the main method in revealing important details about your main character and supporting cast… it becomes more interesting.

There’s a famous line from one of my favorite superhero movies Unbreakable, which states the following. “Real life doesn’t fit into boxes that were drawn for it.” Emotional trauma and mental health aren’t something that is just explained to you. A therapist can’t just walk up to someone and read their emotions as if everything they’re thinking about is in a thought bubble (like in a comic book). In order to read someone and their emotions, you’d have to pay attention to small gestures, behavioral habits, maybe even the way that they talk. They just don’t open up to you.

Izuku is like a living, breathing, person, with the way that the audience can slowly piece together why he is the way he is, and what makes him tick. You’re not just given or shown a set of events and then form an objective conclusion about who he is as a character, you’re given small and subtle details that several chapters later end up blossoming into a plot point.

While I myself as a critic, don’t think that is particularly what I’d call ‘genius’ story-telling, I believe that the writing for Izuku in this aspect of his character is wonderfully written. And it’s not just the writing I have to complement, it’s the art. Since that plays a big part in understanding Izuku’s emotions. Overall, it’s incredibly detailed, and complemented by the unique look that Horikoshi gives it. All of the things that are needed to completely sell the reader on Izuku’s character.

Speaking of Izuku’s character, one of the most notable traits about his character is that he doesn’t think highly of himself, despite being one of the smartest kids in his school. He never tries to rub shoulders with the best of the best, he always thinks that he’s incapable of doing so. It’s not like Izuku doesn’t feel frustrated at how society treats him. With the way Horikoshi drew this panel, he’s obviously visibly disturbed at how Katsuki told him to commit suicide

lM4XKGmp7BMSpXGuAmkeAbZCFqwSB7NqI7AVjyuO7nzvlI93RfCt9c4T7qbNKQIlf3L3wvV57SLiu7tEo4Rt6F-XmSq4ALhQjp8ivdRYgZ69UsQax--zHUGvMQLszg1C27ZnG13A

All of this frustration, self-hatred, decrepitation, anger, shame, fear, stress. The root of it all stems from just being told he can’t become a hero at the young age of four. Being told you can’t accomplish your childhood dream before you could even grow out of your child is something that most children shouldn’t have to deal with. But because of bad parenting practices (no offense to his mother), it served as a traumatic experience for him. Having that much trauma at the young age of four is something that will have a long-lasting impact on your life.

And yet Izuku is still capable of moving forward in life, pushing past the pain and negativity to further his goal of becoming a hero. A lot of people think he’s weak or cowardly, which is simply untrue. While he may lack the courage necessary to stop people from antagonizing him for his genetics, it’s the inner strength that counts.

The ability to keep moving and pursuing your goal, even when you know that there’s a high chance that you’ll fail shouldn’t just be defined as bravery, it should be defined as true strength. Not the strength that Katsuki admires, that false pillar of hope which is useless if you don’t know how to direct it, the actual strength that All Might possesses. The actual strength that allowed him to drastically alter the way Japan views heroism, the strength that inspires hopes in the lives of many.

Most people would give up after being told they’re quirkless. In fact, that’s the lifestyle that many people within the series have. In spin-offs, movies, etc. We’re repeatedly shown how many people have had their lives ruined simply because of their outlook on life. Izuku is one of the only people in the series who kept moving after being repeatedly told to stay down by society.

This is why I never considered Izuku’s character generic. Because while yes, his character may seem simple at first, upon a closer look, it’s cleverly crafted. I know I sound like a broken record by saying “it’s well made, it’s amazing, it’s genius” but I’m really just trying to convey the idea that something which may seem simplistic might turn out to be incredibly sophisticated.

Most shonen protagonists are generic at heart. Most of these protagonists are the author’s take on a trope or trait that a lot of existing fictional characters have in common. For example, Naruto is headstrong, childish, and a rookie ninja who dreams of a seemingly impossible goal. Now, take away the isolation he received as a child which molded his character into this, and you have yourself something which mirrors that of a trope.

In fact, Izuku’s character may seem similar to that of Naruto’s. Simply because he seems to be isolated from society because of something out of his control. When in reality, Izuku is just a different take on what Naruto was inspired by as a character; discrimination.

Let’s face it, characters being treated like chopped liver due to race or genetics (or something ridiculous like a Kaiju living inside of them) isn’t actually something that originated from Naruto or any shonen manga. It’s something that occurs in real life; our society. Once again, proving my point that Izuku’s character is incredibly realistic in regards to the portrayal of discrimination.

The same can be said for Asta, Luffy, and even Saitama. All of these characters have something that’s taken and inspired by various other forms of media, and in some cases, real life. And yet all of these characters are seen on a high pedestal by many manga/anime fans. It’s extremely hypocritical to dislike Izuku’s character simply because he’s the author’s take on a specific genre. Or to put it simply; because he’s not “special.”

Even then, Izuku is written in a way that makes him feel realistic like he could actually be a person within our reality without us knowing. But despite all of this, Izuku is still human. This means he can be broken down at the slightest moment, and be put together in shambles of what he truly once was.

Even his idol, the Number One hero, after he was saved by him from the Sludge Villain, said he couldn’t be a hero, not when he was quirkless. He just didn’t have the strength to become one. Of course, the reason Izuku dreams of becoming a hero isn’t because of the money or fame he’d receive, he just wants to save people, save people with a fearless smile, just like his idol, All Might would.

4lRpLDpid0WXEhDsWPTnQycEEZtYeKd4zHHX2GD0CAzvfM1OVEbMNdTaENmuIZ4dglO4sSAfUD-FrniJunbjTX7fP9WhBKqKOh51-mefFOgnQkzCwYMXPDK51_kvUduklXqkcNpn

We’re usually taught that it’s okay to dream about achieving a goal, or doing something great for the good of society, but it needs to be realistic. Izuku just doesn’t have the strength to become a hero the way he is.

He’s average at best in terms of athletic ability, and while his ability to memorize and use the fighting styles and moves of various heroes would technically make him a genius for his age, I bet he doesn’t really understand how to build or create support items to make up for his physically weak body.

So, we’re back to the question of how is Izuku going to become a hero, despite being implied to have no power? Well, to any of you paying close attention to his character, you would’ve realized that he’s already deserving of the title of “hero.”

0gdE9VeYZCrRUUdZ2lP_M3wgIj_WuO18mYxklA4ZvC-kcnqWeMJqu8fjg2S5dQAtySy_hh29AiEwut_qoWsXsr2bRtPhRxUF28JomBJ63UyFsaCwDSbY7BwrLZC2EbMgJQdBHPr2

To break down this scene, Izuku is essentially trying to rescue the same person (Katsuki) who has made his life a living hell for over a decade, from the villain who nearly killed him presumably only a few hours ago, all the while he was still reeling from the fact that his idol, the Number One hero himself, admitted that he couldn’t become a hero. (Keep in mind this all happened in one day. Why? Sum it all up to shounen protagonist luck.)

Let’s forget the question that has already been answered, why did Izuku attempt to endanger his life over someone who’s treated him like trash for a decade of his life?

In truth? Even Izuku doesn’t know. Although, from the panels of the comic book itself, he uttered these sentences, which I quote; “Why am I running? What am I doing? Why?! My legs just started moving!” The scene then proceeds to shift to the narrator giving his opinion on this, “There was any number of reasons. But at that moment…” And finally, it switches back to Izuku. “You… You looked like you needed saving.”

It came down to the unconscious desire of wanting to save and protect others, despite not having the capability of doing so. Izuku truly would have nothing to gain from this situation other than the risk factor of being killed along with his former best friend. Some might consider his actions moronic, stupid, reckless, and even suicidal to an extent. Some of those accusations might be right. But ultimately, it’s All Might’s words himself that showcased the plot's true intention.

All Might says this on the next page, “The lesson I left you with… I should practice what I preach!!” A pro hero should always be ready to risk his life!!”

This is alluding to the concept of a “true hero.” Someone who is willing to put their life on the line for something or someone and ask for no compensation in return. All Might almost didn’t save Katsuki. This is because he has an injury on his chest which prohibits him from holding his hero form for more than a couple of hours a day. The thing that’s so great about this scene is that All Might didn’t suddenly grow a pair of balls and decided to put his life on the line, he was inspired to do so by the mad man himself, Izuku. Heck, All Might considered himself pathetic for not acting sooner.

q9K4Mxhmyj2r-rAwzugZg18gWRr71NFQC3h0bhEEbkGXh42x2gDE56gSvzLT-9mptNgxFcKXH0sGpAi7swjpOi_rff_g3ANCA9vCg-20kRC7x-i3Omt_T1GmQ5jT8x59VMNSHSWS

What backs up my statement, even more, is what All Might said after he and Izuku meet once again. “Without you… If I hadn’t heard your story… I’d have been nothing but fake muscles and insincerity!! So thank you!!”

This basically cements the fact that All Might, the Number One hero himself, who has saved presumably thousands of people by the time he met Izuku, has been inspired by this quirkless kid whose only saving grace is that he unconsciously understood the meaning of “hero.” But we can’t ignore how blatantly suicidal his actions were, even Izuku acknowledged this himself.
eV7NQ0tPn-MEBYjJ_CSiInSwr6n3K4YDqsSDbXH1nVoq64Jj-7hkj9x_C_o6Jm7K5nf2r3TocMOh6RL2rjvDLNJ3ZFupIcRu6ShNLvcMc2SctOm1kmLEDskv1HShIrjricnU32ze

Izuku is correct here. If it had not been for All Might, his efforts to save Katsuki would’ve been for naught. It was extremely reckless of him to do so. This is exactly why All Might is praising him. You can’t become or aspire to be a hero without being reckless. The very idea of putting your life on the line to save someone you don’t even know is reckless personified…

Yes, being unnecessarily risking your life is a bad idea, dare I say even stupid. But ask yourselves; did Izuku needlessly risk his life? Up until All Might appeared, he was the only one who actually helped free Katsuki. All of the previous efforts done by the official pro heroes there were pretty much useless. Izuku had a reason to risk his life, and a valid one in his eyes.

While Katsuki may not have been what many would consider being a “decent person,’ it’s not like Izuku would just let him die to some random villain. Not when he has the ability to act, to do something, to help him. That’s the true nature of being a hero; helping when help isn’t wanted.

But what further enticed me when reading this story for the first time, is All Might’s next lines. “Of all the people at the scene… It was only you, timid and quirkless, who acted!! You spurred me to action!! Most of the top heroes show signs of greatness even as children.. Many of them claim that… Their bodies simply moved before they could think!! That’s what.. Happened to you back there, yes?! You can be a hero.”

This interaction between Izuku and All Might may seem unimportant at first (like most of the moments mentioned here), but upon closer inspection, the message it delivers is an excellent and well-written one. All of the other heroes are not true heroes. They might have a sense of good and enjoy helping people, but ultimately they have an ulterior motive when it comes to heroism, whether it be for money, fame, or just the thrill.

Izuku doesn’t have a motive other than wanting to help people, which is showcased on the first page of chapter one. With him defending a kid from a group of bullies, despite losing in the end. He was the only one who acted against the sludge villain, and it was him who inspired All Might, the man who’s supported society with his bare hands to act his part as a true hero.

There isn’t a word or any sentence I could come up with which would describe how excellently this is delivered. Also, it’s worth noting that the animated version of this scene improved on everything present in this scene greatly, as it befitted it with wonderful music and visuals. Overall? The first chapter or arc is what could make or break the series, and I’d say Horikoshi made an excellent first impression, and it only gets better from here on out.

Reeling off of the cocktails of the first chapter, literally right after All Might praises Izuku, he asks him to inherit his power. The quirk’s name is One for All. An ability capable of being passed onto multiple users. Of course, this sounds a bit ridiculous at first, for Izuku to gain the power-set of the strongest man on Earth in only chapter 2, but it ain’t that simple, as we’re told.

GOAWD6AcpmRzQHxhfU65rTShJBgayGwusZNZz6fXTWcaRG3mgswPOaNc9GEVd1xqkgmE_6h2NQbYZ_8F8ORRhmCoHhVqmpIlRR8ZvupeEscMs6BX0wL9MPL57FMeM6Gawso4v6fF

Fast-forwarding to the next scene, we’re treated to a scene that shows All Might training Izuku. Why? Because in order to receive his power, Izuku has to be as physically athletic as possible, less he wants to blow his limbs off. Which would have very disastrous consequences… For obvious reasons. Moreover, this is Horikoshi’s attempt at building tension with the story and making Izuku work for his power.

A lot of people actually think Izuku was handed One for All, which is wrong. As he is not really being handed this power, more so he earned it. He’s shown signs of having the heart of a hero, he’s the one who inspired All Might, he has the drive.

And then there’s the physical training. Izuku truly has to work harder than anyone else to even have a chance at wielding One for All. He is shown doing push-ups, using hand-grips, moving trash that weighs several hundred kilos and even lifting freaking All Might on his back. (For reference, HE stated himself he weighs 255 kilograms). That’s something that most people. ;et alone teenagers wouldn’t even be able to accomplish, let alone hope to do.

-qDH5iJ7z6AZtf4OmYHZQuIaw8lysnfzAVKeaLi4jFHTsqFw-rDouFKgNnDHsd-mqvas0Rd2tSTC6bq45R7llwFLVJUVVQ1EV7fFOol84KBRjFKvcd3PjnJAgAsL1fKXPmpcmFDp

All of this work was crammed within 10 months according to All Might. In fact, they barely made it when you notice that Izuku has been overworking himself, which required All Might to adjust his training schedule.

If that isn’t the hard work, dedication, even the blood sweat of tears that are being SHOWN directly to the audience, then I don’t know what blood, sweat, tears, hard work, and dedication are. So, as I pretty obviously started a few times, Izuku worked for 10 months to receive One for All, to the point where he could only consider those said 10 months hell.

One of the things this suggests is that Izuku isn’t cowardly. A coward wouldn’t be able to live up to the responsibility of utilizing One for All, they’d reject the power as soon they’d become apparent of the fact they’d have to exercise their body to peak-human physical levels of strength. Izuku is the opposite of this. He was the person who rushed in to save Katsuki, despite knowing his life was on the line. He is aware of his shortcomings physically and developed an analytical mindset. Now he is the person who’s going to receive One for All. Heck, All Might support this idea himself

1TTb3SVf3wwH6OcE-C7K5uj2KOr8ggklT4H3UTHlGPifsFtu-hJJLXYWFo_GLj1ioj7Lr7uYOhorM5bWPRp5_SG_YyNgB_31KC9oGfh0WW3_rF-q99UQAnFzwDC0hC8aiWwCWg-T

Unfortunately, time is not on Izuku’s side, as All Might, despite being genuinely amazed and proud at how Izuku cleaned up the beach without a speck to spot), instructs him to get ready for the Entrance Exam. It is also revealed that Izuku doesn’t automatically become as broken as All Might is, that is far from the truth.

All Might actually warn him that he might be in danger of still… Breaking or fracturing something, depending on how his body will adapt to One for All. This would illustrate and drive home the point that Izuku is not being fed One for All. He worked for it, and now he has to (potentially) master it. This is a very good way to develop a character’s own power creep, as others shounen just give the character some type of power-up with no incredible drawbacks so early on in the series, to get them started at least. The series has made sure early on that Izuku won’t bulldoze his way through the competition. And that is proven in the Entrance Exam.

Unfortunately, time isn’t on his side as the story then reveals he never had the time available to test out One for All. This is alarming, considering he has an entire practical portion of a hero exam to ace, but he’s the protagonist, he’ll find a way to win this easily, right?! That is very wrong. First off, Izuku is lacking self-confidence here, as shown when he encountered Katsuki. Hell, he’s so nervous that he nearly trips and falls, thankfully, someone named Ochako caught him with her gravity quirk.

This isn’t even the end of his bad luck. It’s revealed by the examiners that in order for the hero course examines to pass, they’ll have to rack up points, by fighting robots.
  • And of course, he’s even criticized for muttering about how awesome it is to witness a speech done by Present Mic, because of reasons.

So in all honesty, Izuku has the right to be nervous, and somewhat anxious. People usually complain that for a protagonist, or even someone who’s going to succeed All Might, he’s too anxious all the time, or has butterflies in his stomach.

And those people always forget that Izuku is just a kid who’s been discriminated against for ten long years of his life, and is now just getting the chance to compete with everyone.

KF9B9yP0mGBzvqCd6mCzg8p6H86HDVQlNFa4swXnZLiYMduldSXlRXACU44u13HGlIRdFqjyM9j-H5Wuz0CCvUWsQgdL2IAsBKb1y6M77xIgarMWlB5sSOJwZppjIh7bW1gwNEB5

I think this expression is very warranted for the experiences and type of character that Izuku is, combined with the fact that this is an exam that could make or break Izuku’s chance at a successor to All Might.
  • Side note; the phrase said by Present Mic is a nice foreshadowing of what’s to come next.

But outside of Izuku’s response being warranted… He doesn’t really have a chance at the physical portion of the exam. He can’t score any points. Outside of One for All, he’s just an ordinary, extremely athletic fifteen-year-old. He doesn’t have the strength necessary to bend and fracture metal upon impact, and even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he could, the competition wouldn’t allow him to get any points.

iNI0U1Zdi4mPE-FOu4nayfdxf6_XEFgL-QD31G1LOIUNEyr17FkE4-5e4f5TM1dtGjI2EbM_gjiN2utK2Y3b45H_AXV1SsQeTUxh4bKo0-HZj1f3lgsqQ3C34x7yo6Weex664Y5N

The entire area of Izuku’s exam location barely leaves him any room to score any points. There’s little to no possibility of him being able to pass the practical portion of the exam. The little chance Izuku ever did have was stomped out by the Zero Pointer being activated.

CNXfDZazL5vBchVQtbuulFbAyJAPeIGcpVwM-8hlzB_ZW8CxwEGes6jA4y5UYFevGSalWGUjbA2ApcYtkOtQEYU7vGx16Qu1uZ2M-CGZjwBnQvQ_d0og-VnO_STRVResxWrH-LfZ

At this point, Izuku is scared. At this point, he seemingly gives up on trying to win any points, and runs tail like all of the other examinees. But there is an amazing quote said by the examiners.

KdAZIpr7ff4-mjonQilcTnmpjamU1DSF3_yw9aXNNzfPgpd-cCfL5i4lM94-ZeH7mqsYLldpN0ttWX_sXDnabt_Qot1Kw2Hw2hDn88mSsX0VbgHKHoINjHQ4LI44hPleZXKggjcU

When faced with overwhelming odds and little chance of success, everyone reveals their true colors, what drives them, what they feel deep down inside, etc. That feeling for Izuku is fear.

Izuku is not some ungodly shounen protagonist who has the best luck on the planet and the best attitude to boot. Sometimes he’s scared and can’t act. That’s only natural when you’re faced with odds so great you wondered why you even tried. But the one thing which does drive Izuku to accomplish his goal is the one thing that he doesn’t back away from in terms of ideals in heroism. Because above all else, he’ll disregard all of his fears to save someone.

GfXRYVdtKiDRA6b_K-O-K3rcxJxvPGC4i9bdIsTEu9_KQZdo4ykaZxUyUa-to3LUXNfkXoMMbyESIlbG1leHSaLqF2PwdYTjRlQmRyX731HIV_i51yjd_FAINB7biymx-iu0xL0I

And that’s the reason why Izuku risked his life to save Ochako. Despite not even knowing how to activate One for All, despite him knowing that he could break himself, he still did what he did. Izuku didn’t even know how to properly activate or use One for All, now all of a sudden he’s mastered the ability to use it. This goes to show just how much his morality for heroism drives him to accomplish goals. It’s amazing honestly.

We saw something similar happen in the first chapter when Izuku’s body moved on its own to save Katsuki, the only difference is that the story actually makes an attempt to put greater emphasis on it. Such as making note of how Izuku truly made a conscious effort to activate One for All with his own drive, or how that created a giant consequence for his actions. As All Might put it, he saved Ochako at a cost, a sacrifice, and that was his limbs breaking, give or take an arm, and both of his legs. Ouch.

SLMfZC1j2rkCXNxf8D_pLzyUhjxWkwaiVGiCw98rVNp8Pg3-fGjjLfExChCFEZ1OZud5aYhr38yKraoNKJqk_kPLOGltnJgUH8MGlH4caFQWUzZGmLS1QgfcaTtwrUQ3VZxeU34b

To all of those who say that Izuku, (at least in season one of the anime), overcame every trial with little difficulty and no major consequence, you’re wrong. Most likely, the story did this to show how far Izuku is willing to go to save someone, while also showing that while his actions may be heroic, astonishing, and downright awe-inspiring, they are also reckless.

It’s not that his actions aren’t justified, or that they're completely moronic. To be fair to Izuku, he didn’t really know his limbs would’ve exploded when he first used his power, and in his mind, he thought Ochako would’ve been crushed by the Zero Pointer, so he probably thought he had no choice, but the point being is that he’s far too willing to sacrifice himself. Izuku’s journey will not be an easy one. He might be the strongest in terms of physical strength at U.A, that doesn’t mean he’s the best in terms of experience.

He has no control over One for All at this point, considering the fact that he just learned to call upon its power, and it completely broke him. And thanks to his sacrifice, he ends up scoring zero points on the practical. At least, in terms of traditional methods. Part of being a hero is that you’re willing to sacrifice all towards saving someone, regardless of the consequences. So once again, this pretty much just drives home the point on why the story is so fixated on letting Izuku have One for All.

I know that was kind of overkill, but I was really sick of people degrading Deku's character. Plus? I had a lot of free time today, so there's that.

So, if any of you catch anyone saying something similar to that? Show them this. They'll probably be left speechless for weeks.
When someone drops a glorious bible of character writing on MHA

GOLDEN EXPERIENCE

People use TL;DR on some very short paragraphs but this is the PERFECT example of when to use it.

His Regen and immortality would be an issue and All Might already have an AP disadvantage, but no harm in seeing how the match would turn out
All Might has a massive advantage in hand to hand skill from what I’ve seen and also a big advantage in LS, and also has some neat stuff like Fear Inducement. Would be an interesting fight though

Back