• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

why are they always faster than sound? Fiction doesn't have to obey real life standards
Because that's how shock waves work, when something moves faster than the speed of sound it creates strong pressure and pushes the air back causing the shockwave
Its clear that's also how it works in MHA, since every time someone moves really fast they create this shock effect and its also somewhat implied to be the case when Number 6 talks about moving at high speeds and how air resistance pushes back

is there any evidence that's the case that the shockwaves he makes are at the speed of sound?
You're the one who must prove that his shockwaves are slower/faster (Calcs are not allowed for obvious reasons). Shockwaves are something generated when something move faster than sound. We use Mach 1 or 340 m/s as a minimum, shockwaves can be faster than that, but they cannot be slower.

Shockwaves can be whatever, because fiction, but evidence must be provide in order for such things to be used. By this logic, this rock shouldn't be assumed to be as durable as a rock in real like as fiction isn't real life. This basically means that all calculations are pointless and should never be used for anything, since real life doesn't apply to fiction.

Reminds me of people saying bullets in RWBY move slower than in real life, because the characters can dodge them.

You're the one who must prove that his shockwaves are slower/faster (Calcs are not allowed for obvious reasons). Shockwaves are something generated when something move faster than sound. We use Mach 1 or 340 m/s as a minimum, shockwaves can be faster than that, but they cannot be slower.

Shockwaves can be whatever, because fiction, but evidence must be provide in order for such things to be used. By this logic, this rock shouldn't be assumed to be as durable as a rock in real like as fiction isn't real life. This basically means that all calculations are pointless and should never be used for anything, since real life doesn't apply to fiction.

Reminds me of people saying bullets in RWBY move slower than in real life, because the characters can dodge them.
Ok, so why does this mean we can't use calcs for? Can't we just need to find a scene where there is no cinematic timing involved

Because that's how shock waves work, when something moves faster than the speed of sound it creates strong pressure and pushes the air back causing the shockwave
Its clear that's also how it works in MHA, since every time someone moves really fast they create this shock effect and its also somewhat implied to be the case when Number 6 talks about moving at high speeds and how air resistance pushes back
Not necessarily, again they can be made without moving faster than sound. Pretty sure Deku Shockwaves isn't via moving pretty fast but is an attack he created via using his fingers 🗿

Last edited:
also do these said shockwaves create sonic boom like sounds anyway? because by this argument, everyone that makes shockwaves can attack at the speed of sound

Last edited:
I don't know who taught you physics, but the literal definition of a shock wave says that they move faster than sound. That's literally how they function. Have you ever heard of an explosion's blast wave moving slower than 340 m/s? Especially if it's a high explosive? And shock waves don't generate sonic booms. Sonic booms are generated by an object moving faster than sound. Shock waves just so happen to be associated with sonic booms because they are also generated by an object moving faster than sound sometimes.

why are they always faster than sound? Fiction doesn't have to obey real life standards
But there's nothing proving that Deku's are shock-waves are different than the actual, dictionary definition of the word "shock-wave." You'd have to be doing Redditor-level mental gymnastics in order to think otherwise.

I have a question about Cassie's giant avatar.
When she grabs the missiles and punches the ocean, the impact creates a transparent explosion which we assumed was the actual bomb itself going off, but i beg to differ.

1. We can see the impact from the punch traveling through the ocean meaning its traveling out, duh, yet the clouds above it arent affected by it.
2. After the Punch we see that the air crafts nearby arent even being pushed back from this giant shockwave, despite it pushing shockwaves away from the initial punch (its traveling outwards duh).
3. Right after the scene of the omega, transparent, shockwave, we get a second panel of an actual explosion, which is not transparent. It differ from the initial punch as it's not shaped like a spherical object and is expanding in a rough manner like an actual explosion. We also see that this explosion pushes the aircrafts, Cassie, and even the clouds apart which should be evidence for it being different from the first punch.

So where I'm getting at is, the first explosion we see should just scale to Cassie, which was calc at island iirc, and the Tiamat should just upscale

I have a question about Cassie's giant avatar.
When she grabs the missiles and punches the ocean, the impact creates a transparent explosion which we assumed was the actual bomb itself going off, but i beg to differ.

1. We can see the impact from the punch traveling through the ocean meaning its traveling out, duh, yet the clouds above it arent affected by it.
2. After the Punch we see that the air crafts nearby arent even being pushed back from this giant shockwave, despite it pushing shockwaves away from the initial punch (its traveling outwards duh).
3. Right after the scene of the omega, transparent, shockwave, we get a second panel of an actual explosion, which is not transparent. It differ from the initial punch as it's not shaped like a spherical object and is expanding in a rough manner like an actual explosion. We also see that this explosion pushes the aircrafts, Cassie, and even the clouds apart which should be evidence for it being different from the first punch.

So where I'm getting at is, the first explosion we see should just scale to Cassie, which was calc at island iirc, and the Tiamat should just upscale
Hmm I can see wym

Nothing in the world of MHA suggests that the laws of physics work differently otherwise there would be no reason for the author to draw shockwaves anyway.
And Horikoshi even differentiates speed shockwaves and fist Impacts (I know some authors draw them the same way even when the characters are nowhere near supersonic).
Its been a whole ass month I cant believe it, and only 20 new pages were made, if not 10
The OPM thread pushing 60 in a months time wtf
OPM is heavily action oriented with every chapter having some kind of new feats. It is the perfect manga for battle boarding.

MHA on the other hand has long streaks of time where the manga goes months without a single fight or action sequence. There's lots of cooldown chapters and even whole cooldown arcs where we barely get any action to discuss.

Right now the biggest discussions for MHA in the last 2 years came from Heroes Rising, War Arc, Deku vs Nagant, and Shigaraki vs Star. But if you look at it clearly, you realize there was months in between each of this with long periods in between of barely any new feats or action sequences.

Nothing in the world of MHA suggests that the laws of physics work differently otherwise there would be no reason for the author to draw shockwaves anyway.
And Horikoshi even differentiates speed shockwaves and fist Impacts (I know some authors draw them the same way even when the characters are nowhere near supersonic).

OPM is heavily action oriented with every chapter having some kind of new feats. It is the perfect manga for battle boarding.

MHA on the other hand has long streaks of time where the manga goes months without a single fight or action sequence. There's lots of cooldown chapters and even whole cooldown arcs where we barely get any action to discuss.

Right now the biggest discussions for MHA in the last 2 years came from Heroes Rising, War Arc, Deku vs Nagant, and Shigaraki vs Star. But if you look at it clearly, you realize there was months in between each of this with long periods in between of barely any new feats or action sequences.
War Arc Vs battle wiki will never be beaten

Since when did people make big ass paragraphs over something that has been addressed and over small statements, how the times have changed

Didn’t know it was physically possible for someone to be capable of moving thousands of times faster than sound without boiling every single last cell in their body + not going deaf via overwhelming pressures building up in the body. This argument is not good at all.
“Nothing suggests that they are different” there’s quite a lot and this same argument works vice versa.

Not saying I disagree, as his attack literally created a sonic boom iirc but your argument isn’t the best

cLZJonb.jpg

You can see what I’m arguing here.

S3Nyg0W.jpg

This here is the ACTUAL explosion

Arguing “there’s nothing suggesting X is different” would be asserting the idea that it is the same which would require evidence as again, it’s not the real world.
Again, I entirely agree with them being the speed of sound at least, though they are easily faster

At least movie three has undeniable 8-A feats from all 3 of them, Bakugo’s may have been small town level, I forgot where I got it
I mean I'd love to see him go to atleast 8-B+, even if it's just PLF (I mean shouldn't he be far superior to Gran Torino at this point, ya know someone who also fought against Shigaraki and got clapped, while Bakugou survived)

Man at this point I should just switch over to OPM scaling. Pretty sure Genos could jump from city level to small planet level based off of a single fight/ feat

Back