• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

“When there are not a million other things going on and when the students aren't mentally exhausted?”

It’d be nice if Horikoshi actually showed their mental exhaustion MORE instead of… the bath chapter… and the students happily implying a culture festival: 2… and the general feeling that they’re barely any different. They had 1 crying scene about Midnight, then one panel in the hospital, and now they’re honky-dory and still the same, just SLIGHTLY more deserved than before.

I’m still salty that the only scars anyone got in THE WAR were a few, tiny, insignificant scars easily hidden under their clothing and hero outfits. Only Aizawa got the brunt end of the stick, and Torino. A little bit of Endeavor but he’s already back up and fighting with no apparent drawback. Deku still looks identical as ever.
^this

Wait, normal people and some cameramen can watch, and percieve, Koichi and Six fighting?

Hmmmm. Something don’t add up here. I guess they slow down enough for them to watch, but there’s no evidence for that really.
They are watching them fight but I doubt they are capable of perceiving them. It's probably a thing the artist of the manga did by showing Koichi and Six present and zig-zagging through the sky while the cameramen record the fight on a helicopter.

They are watching them fight but I doubt they are capable of perceiving them. It's probably a thing the artist of the manga did by showing Koichi and Six present and zig-zagging through the sky while the cameramen record the fight on a helicopter.
The cameraman specifically says there are 2 fighters, meaning they can percieve that there are, specifically, 2 fighters despite the numerous massive explosions and high speed.

The cameraman specifically says there are 2 fighters, meaning they can percieve that there are, specifically, 2 fighters despite the numerous massive explosions and high speed.
I don't think they are going that fast now especially not for the entire fight. When Koichi goes his max speed, he's drawn with an exagerrated number of sonic booms.

Why make it look like Toga was abandoned by AFO and the LoV when she was going to come back to them anyway?

Why haven't Deku and Uraraka spoken up even a little after she gave her speech defending him? Why did she go to sleep? Did she get tired of yelling? For god's sake Deku hadn't slept in weeks and yet he went to sleep after her.

This feels rushed and the last thing I wanted to see was an inconsequential traitor, a plot that we even thought it was abandoned until this week.
My thoughts exactly. It’s like Hiro doesn’t wanna fill in the little blanks that he created just for the story to “move forward”

Imagine Infinity War, but it has the opening, then everything until the Titan fight is cut out, and Thanos doesn’t even fight Tony, Strange, Peter at the rest— instead he fights Bar, a new character, never seen before, who gives Thanos a harder fight than anyone else we’ve ever seen in the series, then dies when Thanos uses the gauntlet to do silly things and takes the soul and time stone Bar just happened to have, then it cuts to Thanos at Wakanda snapping and it has Steve said they all trained hard and are very sad. Then the movie ends.

That’s the pacing of the current MHA arcs, it feels like. But at least there’s still some cool action. It’s just sad that a lot of potential character moments are being sacrificed to see that cool action, just to Any % speedrun to the end.

An AMAZING interaction we EASILY could have gotten was Dark DEKU and Toga.

Toga, trying to find the League again after leaving to find Uraraka, wanders into Dark Deku. Deku easily wins their scuffle, but the two get to talking, and through talking, Deku ALLOWS Toga to leave by herself, planting the seed of forgiveness within Toga and that not every hero is going to just instantly defeat her and imprison her just because she’s born this way.

But nah, Lady “totally existed all along” Nagant (even though I do like her) shows up, gets lol’d and hurried offscreen, Deku is in a fortified super fortress and Toga conveniently happened to find AFO and Shigaraki before the heroes specifically trying to find them could.

I've personally never felt like it was being rushed at all, though I'm not trying to say you can't disagree. I never understood why something a person wants to happen, didn't happen, must mean the story is rushed/bad no matter what. If it doesn't go this way it must be bad, but regardless there's nothing wrong with not liking a story.

But I'm fine and been having fun with the story, nothing really stands out to me. The only thing I felt bleh about was Star dying, since I would've love to see her interacted with others. Even if she had to be Quirkless or something. But besides that, I feel like the pacing has been fine just fine.

Not here to convince you otherwise, just that I'd like to share how I feel too.

It just feels strange how the “totally existed all along” characters (Nagant, Star) could’ve been already existing characters (Toga, Captain Celebrity) and the themes of story would be almost identical if not better because these characters already existed. The only thing that would’ve changed was the fight scenes.

Imagine Captain Celebrity using his Flight force field quirk to his advantage and being immune to decay since he can’t be directly touched, bullying Shigaraki, his few years of training as America’s number one giving him an edge and physically contend with him. It would’ve been an amazing tie in and fight that could’ve gone the exact same way, with the laser jets and everything. Instead he get a “world famous” character we’ve never heard of a single time ever until the chapter she pops into existence in.

I LOVE Star tho, it’s just… weird.

If I had one image, one single image which described my thoughts on what's being discussed, it's this. Most definitely.

e3xsg0r5n0c41.jpg

Yeah, this is going to be a long one, I'm afraid.

If Hori had the audacity to shoehorn in the U.A. traitor reveal, I doubt he had little time to lead in to just one villain's point of view next chapter and then move on to other stuff.
It wasn't shoe-horned in, but okay! I'm gonna be generous and assume that it was. A quarter of the chapter was dedicated to building up the reveal towards the traitor. It's not so simple as just dedicating more time to the LOV. This is a weekly manga, not an American comic book. We get a few pages drawn per week, that's it. Multiple other things are going on in the manga which makes the LOV's reaction to Shigaraki/AFO's situation pretty much pointless at the moment. Not much more I can really say.

“When there are not a million other things going on and when the students aren't mentally exhausted?”

It’d be nice if Horikoshi actually showed their mental exhaustion MORE instead of… the bath chapter… and the students happily implying a culture festival: 2… and the general feeling that they’re barely any different. They had 1 crying scene about Midnight, then one panel in the hospital, and now they’re honky-dory and still the same, just SLIGHTLY more reserved than before.

I’m still salty that the only scars anyone got in THE WAR were a few, tiny, insignificant scars easily hidden under their clothing and hero outfits. Only Aizawa got the brunt end of the stick, and Torino. A little bit of Endeavor but he’s already back up and fighting with no apparent drawback. Deku still looks identical as ever.
I want you to think about this, for a change of pace at least. In a situation where literally the entire country is practically going through a civil war, cities are being destroyed, hundreds dying each day, and worst of all, a several century-old manic is running loose. With the students, heroes, and Deku being the only people to shoulder this burden; do you honestly know the time to ******* grieve? To get your panties in a twist? By all means, that is the ONE THING you shouldn't do when going into civil unrest with superpowered individuals.

Your allies; worried about loss and the people killed along the way instead of moving forward and striking the enemy back harder. That is the easiest way to lose a fight. I cannot emphasize this enough, the way the students are acting around everyone, especially the ones who went through Midnight's death, is the most mature thing to do in a situation like this. If not the IDEAL thing. Their emotions and problems are not the things they should be worrying about.

And yes, I am fully aware of how hypocritical this sounds. Saying this after saying how concerned the students were about Deku's mental and physical health, and going through hell to get him to retreat back to U.A, but that's different. The person they're chasing after is literally the only person capable of going toe to toe with Shigaraki/AFO. He's their trump card. He's the one person who they should prioritize worrying about since he's one of their only chances at getting out of their situation alive.

Of course, they didn't save Deku simply because they needed him, in fact, Deku was the one who needed their help, but my point stands. You can afford to worry about someone as long as their mental/physical health is fundamentally important to getting out of shit's creek with no ******* paddle to boot. So when you have the ******* audacity to act as if Horikoshi's doing the shittiest job when it comes to portraying their reactions to this situation, despite them being heroes, basically soldiers with superpowers who are trained to deal with scenarios such as this, I just can't take you seriously anymore.

And scars? SCARS? Dude, one of the students literally got impaled straight through their stomachs. Just to remind you, here is the list of injuries.
  • Deku's broken arms and legs.
  • Todoroki's burned throat.
  • Endeavor's burned lungs and external injuries.
  • Bakugou's stomach getting skewered almost.
  • And to top it all off, the trauma experienced by the students after seeing/learning of one of their teacher's death, as well as the many heroes present.
So when you bring up the lack of physical injuries? I just get another reason to ******* laugh at you. It's absolutely, borderline ridiculous.

Imagine Infinity War, but it has the opening, then everything until the Titan fight is cut out, and Thanos doesn’t even fight Tony, Strange, Peter at the rest— instead he fights Bar, a new character, never seen before, who gives Thanos a harder fight than anyone else we’ve ever seen in the series, then dies when Thanos uses the gauntlet to do silly things and takes the soul and time stone Bar just happened to have, then it cuts to Thanos at Wakanda snapping and it has Steve said they all trained hard and are very sad. Then the movie ends.

That’s the pacing of the current MHA arcs, it feels like. But at least there’s still some cool action. It’s just sad that a lot of potential character moments are being sacrificed to see that cool action, just to Any % speedrun to the end.
If this happened in Infinity War, this wouldn't be similar to MHA at all. The appearance of a random character who could fight toe to toe with Thanos wouldn't make a lot of sense narratively. There's not a large circulation of people with superpowers with some of them winning the genetic lottery to come to face Thanos. In MHA? The same can't be said for Shigaraki, and on top of that, there's a damn good reason Star got involved in the first place. When you have a threat like Shigaraki, who's a threat to the entire wellbeing of everyone on planet Earth, you best believe that multiple countries are gonna get involved. Especially America. I don't have much to say to you at this point concerning your example. It's dog-shit.

An AMAZING interaction we EASILY could have gotten was Dark DEKU and Toga.

Toga, trying to find the League again after leaving to find Uraraka, wanders into Dark Deku. Deku easily wins their scuffle, but the two get to talking, and through talking, Deku ALLOWS Toga to leave by herself, planting the seed of forgiveness within Toga and that not every hero is going to just instantly defeat her and imprison her just because she’s born this way.

But nah, Lady “totally existed all along” Nagant (even though I do like her) shows up, gets lol’d and hurried offscreen, Deku is in a fortified super fortress and Toga conveniently happened to find AFO and Shigaraki before the heroes specifically trying to find them could.
There are several reasons why this does not make sense. Why the **** would Deku allow Toga to walk away? If given the opportunity, she'd likely grow to be Class 1-A's biggest threat, next to Shigaraki/AFO and the LOV. Toga already had her moment with Uraraka, there's no need to let Deku face her. She's a character who's best suited to confront Uraraka anyways.

Lady Nagant's story actually opened up a plot point that would prove to be extremely interesting; the corruption in-hero society. The government basically ****** her over big time, much like governments behave IRL and Deku was forced to realize that hero society isn't all sunshine and rainbows. If Horikoshi elaborates on this and gives Deku and Lady Nagant an interaction, this would be a beautiful plot point. Not to mention, Lady Nagant's almost getting killed by AFO's planning is exactly what prompted Deku to go off the deep-end and stop listening to the people who were helping him, in fear of getting them mortally wounded or injured by AFO's schemes. It's just as good of a plot-point as a theoretical confrontation between Deku and Toga if that was done correctly.

My thoughts exactly. It’s like Hiro doesn’t wanna fill in the little blanks that he created just for the story to “move forward”
Not much to argue here as I've already explained what I think about this sort of logic, but just to remind you, there are several loose ends that need to be tied up before Horikoshi can even consider ending this. Most notably; how Dabi is still alive, where and who is Deku's father, AFO's past, Uraraka's eventual confrontation with Toga, All Might's death (and that's been foreshadowed since the Stain arc, and finally, the question that everyone has been wondering; when will Uraraka confess to Deku? There are probably more events that have been rumored and have been officially stated would take place, but I digress.

At this point, if you feel like complaining about how rushed the story is, along with Horikoshi's vision with the plot, I suggest you either be patient and wait for everything you're worried about to be addressed or just stop reading it altogether. I rest my case.

It just feels strange how the “totally existed all along” characters (Nagant, Star) could’ve been already existing characters (Toga, Captain Celebrity) and the themes of story would be almost identical if not better because these characters already existed. The only thing that would’ve changed was the fight scenes.
I love CC and SaS, I can't choose between them. But I don't see how Toga could show Izuku the dark side of the Public Safety Commission, unless they made up more backstory for her. Also don't see how Toga could even catch up with Izuku, he is consistently moving and wasn't staying in a single place.

Note: I'd normally say that Horikoshi doesn't want people to have to read side material (Vigilantes/Movies) to understand his story, but he did Kurogiri and Shirakumo. Which mostly happens in Vigilantes, so clearly he isn't afraid of having things there be important here. I wonder if this truly is the end of foreign heroes, I doubt we get anythings else, but what if Captain Celebrity still shows up?

The main characters are in an impregnable, top of the line super military industrial complex bunker. They can grieve all they want. Literally nothing can touch them. It’d be a nice gap to explore their emotions instead of having them in metaphorical cryostasis until the next fight scene.

I never said the students weren’t physically injured. Just that have literally no visible scars that can’t be hidden by a piece of clothing. Todoroki’s throat? It’s already healed. Bakugo’s scars?? Healed over, hidden under his shirt, no apparent tax on his physical capability. Denki getting slammed by a piece of concrete? Tiny scar under his bang so Horikoshi doesn’t have to draw it or change his design. Etc, etc.

”The trauma”

You mean the trauma we don’t get to see them experience and grieve over because, according to you, “there’s no time to” when they’re literally sitting in a bunker doing nothing?

im so tired of people reflecting legit criticism about a story i like with stop reading it if you dont like it
I mean, people have a right to disagree... Even though I admit it is a little heated up above.

Nothing is factual here, everything is just opinions. Any criticism is valid in some way, since this is a subjective media. That's why I'm not trying to convince people of anything, just that I'd like to share my thoughts about the show since everyone else is too. Can I not express the fact that I don't agree but respect your opinions?

im so tired of people reflecting legit criticism about a story i like with stop reading it if you dont like it
Reminds me of a certain video game that came out recently.

”Oh, the thing you love and spent literal years appreciating is beginning to fall apart? Lol who cares. It’s free. Just don’t play it. Drop the thing you’ve spent years loving. Play something else. Read a different manga.”

Criticism exists for a reason, and criticism isn’t hate, even though sometimes it may seem like it.

I just want MHA to stop feeling rushed and take the time to SLOW down, BREATHE, and explore the characters we all love instead of hopping from fight to fight and introducing NEW characters to almost instantly kill off or hurry them offscreen.

I just want MHA to stop feeling rushed and take the time to SLOW down, BREATHE, and explore the characters we all love instead of hopping from fight to fight and introducing NEW characters to almost instantly kill off or hurry them offscreen.
I like it though, expect for Star's death.

I've never felt any rushed paced before, but I'm sorry that it feels like that to you. I just don't understand what any of you mean, even after reading everything. But I hope that the story gets better for you, since reading something you dislike doesn't sound very fun.

i miss the times when horikoshi would plot a plot :sneaky: for 5 years and gives us lots of hints instead of mentioning it 2 to 3 times and then radio silence for 6 years and booom reveal

The main characters are in an impregnable, top of the line super military industrial complex bunker. They can grieve all they want. Literally nothing can touch them. It’d be a nice gap to explore their emotions instead of having them in metaphorical cryostasis until the next fight scene.

I never said the students weren’t physically injured. Just that have literally no visible scars that can’t be hidden by a piece of clothing. Todoroki’s throat? It’s already healed. Bakugo’s scars?? Healed over, hidden under his shirt, no apparent tax on his physical capability. Denki getting slammed by a piece of concrete? Tiny scar under his bang so Horikoshi doesn’t have to draw it or change his design. Etc, etc.
You completely ignored what I just said when talking about the students and their reaction to everything going on. They don't have the time to grieve. It'd be unrealistic to make them do so in a literal ******* civil war. And about their scars... Is this all about how they're not visible? In which; so ******* what? They're just scars. Nothing life-threatening or life-changing. Cosmetic changes if anything.

”The trauma”

You mean the trauma we don’t get to see them experience because, according to you, “there’s no time to” when they’re literally sitting in a bunker doing nothing?
I'm convinced you listened to absolutely ZERO of what I just said. In a situation where there's civil unrest, people dying every day from copious amounts of violence, with a maniac running around and stealing people's quirks, with minions and possibly entire armies worth of villains... And with the students having to prepare for Shigaraki/AFO attacking them, it'd be dumb for Horikoshi to show their reaction. There's simply not enough time to do so. And they haven't been sitting in a bunker, THEY'VE BEEN TRAINING for several days, strategizing about how they'll bring Deku back, or how they'll take down Shigaraki/AFO and the League.

So does this just mean we accept whatever criticism is given towards the manga at face value as if whatever a person dislikes how a certain thing is done is automatically correct? I know that's not what you technically said, but that's basically what your argument supports.

eminds me of a certain video game that came out recently.

”Oh, the thing you love and spent literal years appreciating is beginning to fall apart? Lol who cares. It’s free. Just don’t play it. Drop the thing you’ve spent years loving. Play something else. Read a different manga.”

Criticism exists for a reason, and criticism isn’t hate, even though sometimes it may seem like it.
Of course, you'd turn this into a thing about "criticism." sighs.

No one's bashing you for criticizing the way things are going in MHA. I'm not disagreeing with you simply because you're voicing your opinion. I and many others are disagreeing with you because your arguments have little if ANY merit.

i miss the times when horikoshi would plot a plot :sneaky: for 5 years and gives us lots of hints instead of mentioning it 2 to 3 times and then radio silence for 6 years and booom reveal
And I miss the times where people actually paid attention to how plot points such as being a traitor works. Your point?

How about we all agree to disagree and not get heated?

I feel like I'm seeing a I'm right and everyone else is wrong mentality, people who disagree with me are just mindless sheep/haters... Against subjective media. Note: This isn't that bad, just that I'm hoping this discussion doesn't grow into something where someone might say something they'll regret.

Apologies if I'm coming off as forceful or paranoid, I just don't want any bad blood or trouble to brew here.

I feel like I'm seeing a I'm right and everyone else is wrong mentality, people who disagree with me are just mindless sheep/haters... Against subjective media. Note: This isn't that bad, just that I'm hoping this discussion doesn't grow into something where someone might say something they'll regret.

Apologies if I'm coming off as forceful or paranoid, I just don't want any bad blood or trouble to brew here.
Fair enough.

Imagine Captain Celebrity using his Flight force field quirk to his advantage and being immune to decay since he can’t be directly touched, bullying Shigaraki, his few years of training as America’s number one giving him an edge and physically contend with him. It would’ve been an amazing tie in and fight that could’ve gone the exact same way, with the laser jets and everything. Instead he get a “world famous” character we’ve never heard of a single time ever until the chapter she pops into existence in.

I LOVE Star tho, it’s just… weird.
For Captain Celebrity, obviously he is not anywhere near All Might's level like Star. I honestly don't understand what people expect from him after his showings in Vigilantes. He's powerful but the contrast even with wounded All Might is too wide. He stands zero chance against Shigaraki. And he doesn't even have Endeavor's level of AP.

Toga and Nagant? If Toga is a 10 in power level, Nagant is like a 40. Like Toga poses zero threat to current Deku. Nagant on the other hand is easily stronger than most of the top 10. With 2 quirks she could literally take out 99% of the cast. Even Deku would have been a goner without Danger Sense and that's with 45% speed to boot.

I absolutely hilarious how others tell us to stop reading regarding our opinion on the matter of story progress that we ourselves immensely enjoy lmao

For Captain Celebrity, obviously he is not anywhere near All Might's level like Star. I honestly don't understand what people expect from him after his showings in Vigilantes. He's powerful but the contrast even with wounded All Might is too wide. He stands zero chance against Shigaraki. And he doesn't even have Endeavor's level of AP.

Toga and Nagant? If Toga is a 10 in power level, Nagant is like a 40. Like Toga poses zero threat to current Deku. Nagant on the other hand is easily stronger than most of the top 10. With 2 quirks she could literally take out 99% of the cast. Even Deku would have been a goner without Danger Sense and that's with 45% speed to boot.
Maybe what they're trying to say is that instead of introducing new strong characters, they should've focused on the already introduced characters and made those characters strong.

And it's true, let's admit it. This isn't new, this didn't start with Nagant. From way back then when Rise of Villains saga started, Class 1-A got overshadowed by newly introduced characters like Mirio and Hawks. The Todoroki family drama was more interesting than more than half the class put together. The main cast had like 3 different training periods, one of which was a timeskip, and we still barely see anything from them (not counting the movies). Hopefully we will see more in the final arc, even if Horikoshi's promise was on limited amount of characters.

Anyways, I do agree that Captain Celebrity would've done jack shit against Shigaraki. But I do wish we would've seen more about Toga's capabilities, as besides her quirk awakening and maybe getting stronger to a degree, she's been largely the same. Hori might have plans for her, so we'll see.

Maybe what they're trying to say is that instead of introducing new strong characters, they should've focused on the already introduced characters and made those characters strong.

And it's true, let's admit it. This isn't new, this didn't start with Nagant. From way back then when Rise of Villains saga started, Class 1-A got overshadowed by newly introduced characters like Mirio and Hawks. The Todoroki family drama was more interesting than more than half the class put together. The main cast had like 3 different training periods, one of which was a timeskip, and we still barely see anything from them (not counting the movies). Hopefully we will see more in the final arc, even if Horikoshi's promise was on limited amount of characters.

Anyways, I do agree that Captain Celebrity would've done jack shit against Shigaraki. But I do wish we would've seen more about Toga's capabilities, as besides her quirk awakening and maybe getting stronger to a degree, she's been largely the same. Hori might have plans for her, so we'll see.
New characters being stronger makes sense since they are new.

No matter what steroids Captain Celebrity goes on he is not getting to Star and Stripes level.

He was in Vigilantes and we saw his power level. He is nothing compared to All Might or AFO for that matter. He doesn't seem someone capable of being the "wall of the West" literally keeping an entire nation of villains at bay. Star's prestige was meant for mirror All Might in how she kept the US villains in line in the same way as All Might and Japan.

Captain Celebrity on the other hand was a disgraced hero that was even getting sued by villains and had to run away to Japan for months just to clean up his image. If America had truly relied on him, none of that would happen. He's just not a National level Hero that an entire country relies on.

AFO-araki is someone who should be close to clocking Prime All Might & Prime AFO levels. Celebrity and pretty much most heroes were even weaker than wounded All Might by a considerable margin. Unless he was on Trigger or something, he is at most Endeavor level without Endeavor's dangerous firepower. Even his speed was like Iida's brother level, which is not impressive at all.

As for Toga and Nagant, their storylines are not even comparable. And again, Nagant is a character who could even challenge multi-quirk Deku. I don't know what people think of Toga, but she just isn't at that level. No quick power ups would explain that power jump even ignoring that narratively she does not fit the role Nagant played at all.

Koichi speed now isn't the same level he was back then, his speed was subsonic in travel speed.

I don't know if Koichi has any impressive reaction/combat feats or scaling.

Koichi speed now isn't the same level he was back then, his speed was subsonic in travel speed.

I don't know if Koichi has any impressive reaction/combat feats or scaling.
If you read the vigilante manga he has many in fact he’s reacting and dodging a number 6 who is even faster than his emergency mode(the emergency mode is massively hyoersonic), number six called it his lightning mode cuz it seeems like his body is now made off lightning

Am I not writing properly?

I just said "Koichi now, isn't the same level as he was back then." I don't care about current Koichi, this was discussing Captain Celebrity's speed in relation to a slower Koichi.

Even now after reading through what Earthy said, I remain mostly unconvinced that he's right about how MHA is doing. It's still important for me, though, to listen to different perspectives from other fans of the series we loved for years now.

Back