• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MTG: Neowalker Downgrades

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
I've been bothered with Jace's tiering and his feat for a long time on VSBW. I originally wanted to pair this revision with a bunch of other changes to stats, however I feel like it would be better to start showing why the feat and its scaling is invalid in multiple ways. Suffice to say Jace and many other Neowalkers are being nocked down a peg from Tier 6, likely all the way down into Tier 9 physically. I think their magical potency varies from person to person.

Let's start.

Jace Has No Offensive Spells
Or, at least, he has no offensive spells that scales to what he did. Jace is a defensive fighter; he uses counterpsells, illusions, and reditection to combat opponents. There's quite literally no other purely destructive spells he carries that could scale to his 'feat', even though they share the same mana source. I'd also like to point out Jace likely used countermagic here, not some offensive/water-manipulating spell, as he largely just disrupted Kiora's spell.

Jace's 'offense' largely consists of mindforkery, which obviously doesn't count for AP.

It's an Outlier
Pretty simple. Jace hasn't ever demontrated this level of strength before, and after.

The Feat was Calculated Wrong
Couple of things.

• Jace didn't evaporate the sea through heat. He split the sea apart repeatedly until it disspated into mist, and even then we can tell that he didn't mist all of it. Therefore, the Heat of Vaporization can't be used for this feat. A lot of this could also just be attributed to the water falling through the air; water tends to disperse into mist when it's falling down a great distance. If it was any significant distance in the air; the majority of the water wouldn't have been even needed to be affected by Jace for this effect.
But the sea split in two, and each half split in two, and each resulting half split and split again, and the mass of water dissolved and dispersed into mist. Water roared down, sweeping away Eldrazi creatures.
  • Biggest one: the mass used for the sea was picked from a real life-sea, when we actually have statements of the dimensions of the water that was hoisted into the air.
A wall of water three miles wide rose into the air. It swirled and twined into a single mass, a floating, shimmering shape shot through with sea plants and coral and fish. It was a seawater globe, hovering overhead. Kiora had emptied the entire Halimar Sea, and was holding it through the strength of her will. Her gaze was fixed on the outcropping above Chandra, on the source of the spell—on Nissa.
A sphere with a diameter of 3 miles has a volume of 14.14 cubic miles, or 5.893809e+10 cubic meters.

Given the density of water this gives us 5.8761276e+13 kg of water. This is three orders of magnitude below the mass of the Caspian Sea, which was used for the calc.

It's Environmental Destruction
Kiora was not using her own magical strength for any of these feats. She was using the Bident of Thassa. Therefore, her regular spells don't scale to it, nor does it scale to any other neowalkers as she's using an artifact of a Tier 4 God to perform these feats. She has never used the bident to directly harm enemies and only really uses to summon massive waves and move large quantities of water, which is by-the-books ED.

Conclusion
Jace's feat should generally be disregarded. Neowalkers in general haven't demonstrated anything near his feat even with magic. Not to even go into the physicals, Jace hasn't tanked magic from people comparable to him. He's a glass cannon, and loses to trained atheletes without his magic.

All other Neowalkers should similarly be downgraded. They have no grounds to scale to the feat from either Kiora or Jace.

My only thing to say is that it cant possibly be an outlier. Mages have done similiar tier 7 or 6 feats before pre mending and the power level for neowalkers is still comparable if not better then new mages. Arguing it is just an Outlier for Jace is really wishy washy imo. I will follow this, but I am neutral for now. I wanna hear more thoughts. Especially regarding point 1 and 4.

SinsofMan said:
Mages have done similiar tier 7 or 6 feats before pre mending and the power level for neowalkers is still comparable if not better then new mages. Arguing it is just an Outlier for Jace is really wishy washy imo.
Jace's powerset isn't really used for direct damage though. Nor is there much connecting those pre-mending mage feats to neowalkers who haven't done anything on the same level. Chandra's very best feats, for example, without Zendikar's mana, consists of burning down some buildings. Especially on durability, Jace consistently gets KO'd by 10-A/9-C attacks.

I'm aware you're busy, so no rush to answer this.

If you describe how wide a wall is, would that pertain to its perimeter or the axes of an elipse it makes if the wall is curved?

Okay, then what do we lower them to, first of all?

Andytrenom said:
If you describe how wide a wall is, would that pertain to its perimeter or the axes of an elipse it makes if the wall is curved?
Not entirely sure. It seems it was a straight wall that was later curved into a sphere/hemisphere. Might want to call over Ugarik here, they tend to usually have a good sense of geometry.

My point was that the Caspian Sea mass used was incorrect, which is true, really, for any use of the measurement, given the difference of three orders of magnitude.

Well, I'd rather not go through with this before we know what we're actually lowering them to.

If we take it to be the perimeter I guess the results would be even worse

ThePixelKirby said:
Well, I'd rather not go through with this before we know what we're actually lowering them to.
Jace likely gets lowered to Tier 10 based on his physicals, it varies massively outside of that depending on their individual feats.

Andytrenom said:
If we take it to be the perimeter I guess the results would be even worse
If we used 3 miles as the perimeter, and I go through the same motions, it's reduced to 1.9116478e+12 kg of water, so basically another order of magnitude lost.

Jace likely goes quite far down, though it does feel wrong to put him at Tier 10. Surely he's at least tanked or damaged someone at least once.

Liliana has the spells that can end civilizations as for the outlier thing, though she's probably the strongest of the gatewatch via chain veil and being a former oldwalker herself.

Anyways I think a recalc is best. Environmental destruction would be more like if he had a specific ocean evaporation spell, but this was just a generic magic thing.

If it's a matter of the sea being split and thrown around I could probably find some way to slap KE onto it

Also for the jace has no offense, he was depicted on Blue Elemental Blast before

I am sort of with DMUA. It seems to be fine to use KE; it might provide a more realistic end anyway.

Regarding point 3 and 4.

For point 1. I am with Wok still; but I see your point. Jace does not have...well, many feats. Or physical abilities. He is closer to a tactical mage.

We just have too many tier 6 or 7 feats from mages and planeswalkers that even the idea of putting Jace at tier 10..well, it seems wrong.

Plus, if this were accepted, I could possibly downgrade any magic using verse from higher tiers just because it isn't 'physical'.

Magic in MTG really honestly only depends on mana. Sure, the spells matter and the type of them matters too.

But generally; mages will usually scale off one another.

However that said; the feat still seems like to simply be calculated wrong or closer to ED. Just use calc it with KE as a 'low end' and call it a day.

Wokistan said:
Also for the jace has no offense, he was depicted on Blue Elemental Blast before
Blue Elemental Blast is a counterspell. It can destroy red permanents, but it does so through using water to extinguish them. Sure, doesn't match what the card does exactly; it's not like the card mechanics indicate much for the lore to begin with.

Wokistan said:
Liliana has the spells that can end civilizations as for the outlier thing, though she's probably the strongest of the gatewatch via chain veil and being a former oldwalker herself.
How exactly does it accomplish this? A large explosions? A plague? Her death magic spread over a large range?

Liliana wouldn't need Tier 6 AP to cast a "civilization ending spell".

After reading through the neowalker stories? Jace not having a high physical/direct damage AP makes a lot of sense. It's stupid consistent that he can't do much direct damage, his strength is in his mental spells.

I mean, many magic users aren't physical, yeah. There's ones who are, like Gideon, but why would we slap on stats to a character when they've never shown said stats in any other offensive spell?

I'd rather have more direct confirmation of this. Jace doesn't tank any very significant spells without using countermagic. His country-level rating ignores pretty much any fight or story where he gets physical with anything.

SinsofMan said:
However that said; the feat still seems like to simply be calculated wrong or closer to ED. Just use calc it with KE as a 'low end' and call it a day.
I'm fine with recalculating the feat, but it should only apply to Kiora with the Bident of Thassa. No one really scales to that, especially physically. Maybe we can apply it to Jace's countermagic.

DMUA said:
If it's a matter of the sea being split and thrown around I could probably find some way to slap KE onto it
Not really for Jace. Much of the feat could have been accomplished simply by the water falling and nothing else.

I agree for Kiora though; as I said though it doesn't apply to her regular spells.

Dargoo Faust said:
Apparently I am the only one working on this thread even tho then I am on 'break'. RIP.

Okay, so I am honestly fine with recalcing + scaling to Kiora.

The feat would still apply to everyone since Kiora is still comparable to Chandra, Gideon, Lili in raw power. (Although if we are playing the game of mana =/= power level, then Lili is more haxy then 'powerful')

As for Jace. I am fine with a downgrade above, and I will save the outlier point to whenever i read the stories on gatherer/wizards.

I think the best idea is just rate Jace at 'Unknown, likely (insert calc value here) with prep.'

With the justification we haven't seen him get into a magic shooting contest with anyone in the series yet.

SinsofMan said:
The feat would still apply to everyone since Kiora is still comparable to Chandra, Gideon, Lili in raw power. (Although if we are playing the game of mana =/= power level, then Lili is more haxy then 'powerful')
That would be fine, if Kiora performed that feat through her magical strength alone. However, she's using the Bident of Thassa to perform the feat.

Backwards scale them to Jodah then.

There honestly isnt too many post mending feats that are...'remarkable'.

The issue is mostly just finding a feat to replace it with.

I'm not sure how well I could scale neowalkers to Jodah. He takes a rather inactive role in the Domnaria storyline.

Dargoo Faust said:
I'm not sure how well I could scale neowalkers to Jodah. He takes a rather inactive role in the Domnaria storyline.
It really isnt that hard--

Jodah is a mage; and planeswalkers are similar to eachother in power since they are both restricted by their training and mana in the plane..

Plus, Lim-Dul wasnt exactly an extraordinarily 'powerful' mage. He was a high tier, but he had a few detractors and others who were comparable to him in the Ice Age story.

I am honestly fine scaling to Jodah, nothing has proven to me otherwise that even the other planeswalkers are somehow below him, even to this day.

Jodah is an immortal and was regarded as immensely powerful in his very limited interactions post-mending. I'm not really sure I'd be fine with "he's a mage, they're a mage, they should scale" as justifications.

And why would we need to prove planeswalkers are weaker than him if they had limited interactions with him to begin with? Scaling needs to be proven before it can be disproven.

I discussed this briefly with you in PM and while I stil sort of disagree, I am fine with nyxing the feat and Jace scaling. Although now I am just unsure what we should replace it with period. We dont...really have a good replacement feat. At least not one that scales.

SinsofMan said:
Although now I am just unsure what we should replace it with period. We dont...really have a good replacement feat. At least not one that scales.
Well, most planeswalkers shouldn't physically scale to largescale spells like what Jace pulled. In recent tales, it's hammered home how a lot of the characters are glass cannons, especially in the Amonkhet arc, where a de-powered Gatewatch barely physically contended with a bunch of 10-As (barring Nissa, the absolute mad lad).

There's some exceptions, though.

Back