• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MSPA Discussion Thread

Now that I think about it, isn't MSPA Reader one of the most OP Wall level character? With his recton powers.

Nemo212 said:
https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Rodri_"Dante"/Homestuck_calcs
Rodri hasn't responded in 24 hours, so I figure it's safe to post here to open up to discussion, since I don't feel like making a new thread would be too productive.

I don't think the first calc is entirely accurate. It assumes Derse is the same size as a land, when it's canonically smaller. I figure we don't have a solid measurement for Derse, but we could pixel scale by scaling a chain link from Dave, and then the chain link to Derse's moon/Derse itself/the Derse system.

Just from guesstimating it, I think Derse might be the size of like, a town, in actuality. Either way, the kids' bases are probably due for a downgrade.
The day has come.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Nemo212/Derse_Size_/_Chain_Break_Redux

The moons are canonically smaller than the lands. Hussie's exact wording was that the lands are the size of a small state. Prospit and Derse are not lands. This is where the original calc went wrong.

"The surface area of the Earth (baseline planet assumption) is 510100000000000 m^2."

You realize there's a reason why we're trying to recalc it, right?

Uh, how recent was that calc? Because storm calcs have gone through a lot of revisions sense back when Homestuck was popular around here.

Anyways, why does Dave's feat scale to the rest of the kids if it's a cutting feat with a sword that only Dave, Davesprite, Liv Tyler, and Jack Noir (pre-Bec) used? Wouldn't it make more sense to scale it to them instead?

How does using a sword change scaling at all? Not everyone in inFAMOUS can create storm clouds, but that doesn't stop everyone from scaling to Cole MacGrath.

It's a cutting feat. That would be the sword's strength, not Dave. It would still be in his AP, obviously, but I don't see why the other kids would scale to it if they never used the sword.

That's.... not how it works. Dave would still need to swing the thing with enough force to cut the chain to begin with. The sword doesn't ignore durability or anything. There's nothing even all that special about it.

Let's look at it this way.

I can cut a watermelon in half with a large, sharp knife. I can't cut a watermelon in half by karate chopping it. If I have the knife and I can cut a watermelon in half, but my friend doesn't have a knife and therefore can't, then our AP shouldn't be the same, regardless of whether we would both have enough force to chop the watermelon in half if we had the knife.

Dave has a large, sharp sword that he can chop Derse's chain in half with. I don't think Dave could cut Derse's chain without it. Likewise, none of the other kids have this sword, so why would they be able to chop Derse's chain in half? I don't doubt that any of the other kids could do the same thing if they had the sword, but they don't.

Also, I think the Royal Deringer was one of the legendary weapons, iirc, so there would actually be something special about it.

There's a difference between cutting a watermelon and cutting a giant chain. While sharp weapons do ignore durability to a degree, it's not nearly to the extent where Dave wouldn't scale to destroying Derse's chain regardless.

Also, wether or not someone is capable if destroying something is irrelevant to scaling. It's about being able to trade blows, not environmental distruction. You can be town level without being able to literally destroy a town in one blow.

I'm aware there's a difference between cutting a watermelon and cutting a giant chain. I could say I have a pair of bolt clippers and a chain, or a katana and a regular chain and we would get pretty much the same analogy. It just so happens that food metaphors tend to be easier to understand, hence the watermelon, and also that neither 8-A swords or giant Derse chains exist in real life.

Now, if I were to stab my friend with my big knife, they can't do much back. They can't trade blows with me. If we both had a knife, then we could, certainly.

So why are we assuming that Dave isn't a cut above the other kids? It would make sense for him to be, even, since he lived in a house where he got in constant swordfights with his bro. You shape up or you die in that kind of environment.

You're missing my point. You can hurt a 9-C with a knife, but not a 4-B. Not unless you yourself are partially 4-B.

Because said backstory is shared by practically all the trolls, and there's plenty indicating that the two are at least comparable. Vriska is impressed by John, both are caoable if playing SBURB without getting slaughtered, etc.

When did I mention the trolls?

This is a kid feat for their base key. They don't scale to trolls (which are currently 4-C, by the way). There are no 4-Bs in this situation.

You didn't. I made them relevant to the situation.

You do realize Karkat, Vriska, Nepeta, etc. Scale to Dave's feat right?

The 4-B thing was an analogy.

The Wright Way said:
You didn't. I made them relevant to the situation.
You do realize Karkat, Vriska, Nepeta, etc. Scale to Dave's feat right?

The 4-B thing was an analogy.
Show me where in their profiles where it says the scale to the chain cutting, because as far as I can tell, they all scale off of Sollux or killing monsters.

And said monsters scale to being able to hurt or threaten Dave. Otherwise, High 7-A would basically come from nowhere.

...Which is exactly what I'm refuting. The High 7-A is unsubtantiated because it comes from an unreliable calc, which I've just redone.

Nemo212 said:
...Which is exactly what I'm refuting. The High 7-A is unsubtantiated because it comes from an unreliable calc, which I've just redone.
That's not even the point here. What I'm refuting is your assertion that this should only scale to people who use swords.

Regardless, John's storm should really be re-calc'd before we move on. I can tell you just by eyeballing it that it is far higher than 8-A.

Back