• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most tragic character for every tier

**** it, guess I've actually gotta explain why SoC is the most tragic High 4-C.

For starters, SoC is basically composite dark souls due to how it works. At bare minimum, it has the souls of Gwyn, Yhorm, Aldrich, Lorian, Lothric, and the collective soul of the Abyss Watchers. There's also The Chosen Undead, The Cursed One, probably Solaire, and considering how time works, maybe even the Ashen One on cycles where the correct ending was picked. Now excluding Aldrich, who was nonconsensually made a Lord of cinder just because he was incredibly powerful despite being really evil, everybody I just listed has an incredibly sad tale of their own, such is the nature of their series. I can explain them upon request, but doing it all on one comment on a phone? Nah. However, consider just how much stuff the protags alone have killed, how many souls they absorb. Consider just how much of dark souls is a tragedy. The composite sorrow of all of dark souls should easily make this list. However, even without stuff like that, the SoC on itself is still tragic. I shall explain why in the next comment.

The Soul of Cinder is, at it's core, a manifestation of the First Flame, except the SoC itself is basically the flame's last hurrah, as by the time you get there, the flame is near dead after eons of burning. Now consider that despite all it's efforts, it shall invevitably fall to the Ashen One. Sounds ok, right? They can just relight it, right? Well, all of the endings don't really make things much better.

Let's start with relighting it. Well, the Ashen One tries to, and slowly and peacefully burns in the kiln. Compared to the gigantic explosion of flame in game 1, this shows how no amount of fuel can really revitalize the flame at this point, and it will soon die regardless of the intervention of anyone. For despite being the most powerful thing in the series, we are unkindled, unable to properly light the flame. It doesn't matter that during the same game we kill the 4 Lords of cinder, the guy who was supposed to be the next one, the last of the Gods of old, the guy who managed to get the entire dark soul, demons comparable to a Lord of cinder, and 'the manifestation of the flame itself, no amount of fuel can save the flame by now.

Second, the ending where you let the flame die. While there's the glimmer of hope that one day, untold eons in the future, maybe something will be reborn anew, we can in game see a world of darkness like this, and it's not pretty. While sufficiently powerful individuals like Gundyr can survive, what's there to really live for anymore? Even if you don't die, you're likely to succumb to the hollowing just because of this abject lack of purpose. Despite being probably the most tenacious characters in any game i have ever seen, I don't think even the protagonists would be able to stay human. In the end, only Aldia and maybe Ashen one would have a possibility of living to see this new era.

As for the third ending, there are mixed opinions about this, but I find it the least depressing and most hopeful. The Ashen one harnesses the power of the dark and light in tandem, becoming the Lord of Hollows who will lead humanity in a new age, not of grey or of light, but an age of humanity. However, even if you're like me and find this optimistic and not depressing, there's still immense rebuilding to be done, all the stuff you've gotta do to get here, and the fact that this ending is really obscure and difficult to get compared to the others and as such is far less likely to occur in the grand scheme of things.

Eri seems to now have the chance at a normal life though. Cancer doesn't get a happy ending.

Personally, I think that 5-A is too crowded as of now.

I would suggest SoC for 4-B as well, but idk if I want to bump Horus or Oryx.

Probably a character OP mnew of. Why, you got a suggestion?

The dude got teleported in another world with the weakest powers.Got accused of rape and betrayed by his friends and had to struggle to get more powerful.

This guy for 7C the guy was supposed to have op powers but the shitty god gave it to another guy by accident because he had the same name.Then when he got reancarnated he was expirimanted on for all his life because he was the first death mage in that world.Then one day he died,he used his magic to revive himself as a sort of zombie and killed everyone in it but he got killed by his own friends who were transported.Then when he got reancarnatted again hs dad was dead and his mom died when he was a baby.He bascially has to survive on his own and to add insult he is discramed upon because he is half vampire and half dark elf.

I mean watching your friends and love interest die over 100 cycles where no matter what you do, you never seem to be able to avert it is pretty bad.

Wokistan said:
I mean watching your friends and love interest die over 100 cycles where no matter what you do, you never seem to be able to avert it is pretty bad.
It was really just Madoka being stupid.

I'm a little surprised Diavolo hasn't been brought up. Isn't he condemned to an eternity of infinite deaths? Well...maybe he doesn't necessarily count as "tragic" as much as he does "miserable".

Yobobojojo said:
I'm not reading her whole life history, so can you give me the highlights.
Abandoned by her mom, raised by the uncle who didn't want her around.

Seen as a demon by other kids due to her powers.

Only friend was a giant, who died protecting her.

Her island was attacked and destroyed, just because they were trying to gain knowledge, she was the only survivor.

Managed to reunite with her mom, but she presumedly died some minutes later.

Managed to escape the island using the boat that her giant friend had built, and has been hunted down for twenty years, since she was a child, with her only crime being that she is able to read a certain language.

Basically, she quite literally did nothing wrong, she just learned how to read a certain language, and because of that, she has been hunted down for years, since the World Government wants to hide... something, we don't know what yet.

Alright, let's not accidentally post early this time, even though he doesn't have a page yet, I'd like to make a case for Sigurd (Tiers: 7-C and High 6-B)

His wife, Deirdre, disappears out of nowhere while Sigurd is fighting

He finds that his best friend has been beheaded after an attempt at reasoning with his king

Then labelled a traitor by his own homeland

Inadvertently brings war to Silesse, where he is seeking refuge, due to a price on his head

His father dies right in front of him, as he spent his dying breath in order to give Sigurd a broken Tyrfing

Learns that his sister and best friend/brother in law have been killed on their way to join forces with Sigurd

Is tricked and leads his allies to their own (and his) execution at the hands of Arvis and his Roten Ritter

Remember that wife of his? Arvis only kills Sigurd after letting him meet his lovely newlywed wife....Deirdre, who has been brainwashed

Might not be the most tragic, but he's definitely up there

Lord Garmado is probably up there in terms of tragic characters

Bitten by the Great Devouer as a kid, and was forcibly turned evil by it the rest of his childhood to adolescence, slowly becoming more and more evil while being totally aware of it.

Marries his childhood sweetheart except knows that he only got her because he stole letters from his brother and passed them as his own, and has to leave his son and his wife behind due to his increasing evil and not wanting to influence them.

Becomes fully evil and can't do anything about it, steals his father's sacred weapons and tries to kill his brother, only to get burned to death by magic lightning and locked in the underworld.

Comes back when he realizes his son idolizes the evil he became and tries to keep him from doing so. It works, except his son becomes the person who is fated to fight him and one of them will have to destroy the other.

Gets tricked by the overlord and gets his body stolen and forcibly mutated into a demon dragon. Actually gets freed from the evil and tries to live a life of peace, only for his son to get kidnapped.

Proceeds to be turned into a snake person by his former mentor and has to send himself to hell to stop him.

Is chained up in a cave in the gut of The Preeminent, and dies again after she's destroyed.

Then gets forcibly resurrected as a sociopath by a girl who idolizes him at his evilest and removes his emotion, and is forced to try and kill his son.

Regains some emotion when he accepts her as a adopted daughter, only for her to immediately be killed by his own hand on accident while fighting Skylor.

Gets defeated by his son again, loses his powers, realizes that the only thing keeping the world from a onslaught of demons is gone, and can't do anything about it.

I think Thor is more tragic than Thanos. He lost his mother, his father, his sister, his brother, and half his people by the beginning of Infinity War. His conversation with Rocket actually hit me harder than Thanos' meeting with Gamora in the Soul Stone.

Morro is pretty tragic as well. Think Tai Lung and Shifu from Kung Fu Panda, but instead of being locked up runs off to try and fight his destiny, only to be suffocated to death by poison gas. Proceeds to end up in Ninjago's equivalent of hell, becomes part of the Preeminent's ghost army, possesses Lloyd out of rage of him achieving what he couldn't, and when he finally realizes his mistakes, gets dragged to a second death by The Preeminent

Wokistan said:
And after all of that, your love interest ends up being wiped out from the multiverse fighting witches eternally, so Homura has to deal with the guilt trip due to her "failure" as well

isn't guts way worse than Killua? He saw his friends all die and his girlfriend get (censored) by his best friend. He was (censored) as child when his adopted dad sold him as a (censored) to Donovan. He was also born in a dead corpse.

DragonEmperor23 said:
isn't guts way worse than Killua? He saw his friends all die and his girlfriend get (censored) by his best friend. He was (censored) as child when his adopted dad sold him as a (censored) to Donovan. He was also born in a dead corpse.
yes

Back