• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most tragic character for every tier

Totallynotchewbacca said:
But his ENTIRE dimension friends family love interests only to be left in a decaying dimension to lose your morality and not even care anymore but it always lingers and now you are known a one of if not the most feared being in existence sounds pretty sad
Eh, Bill to me sounds like a complete psychopath who destroyed his dimension for ***** and giggles.

Also, 5-A is looking really cluttered. May want to try cutting some people from that.

Until a little while ago the Warhammer dudes like Ahzek Ahrima were there too, 5-A must not be a very happy tier huh

I'd think maybe the chrono trigger dudes, as from what's been posted in this thread they sound the least bad, but idk.

Yobobojojo said:
Lord Garmado is probably up there in terms of tragic characters
Bitten by the Great Devouer as a kid, and was forcibly turned evil by it the rest of his childhood to adolescence, slowly becoming more and more evil while being totally aware of it.

Marries his childhood sweetheart except knows that he only got her because he stole letters from his brother and passed them as his own, and has to leave his son and his wife behind due to his increasing evil and not wanting to influence them.

Becomes fully evil and can't do anything about it, steals his father's sacred weapons and tries to kill his brother, only to get burned to death by magic lightning and locked in the underworld.

Comes back when he realizes his son idolizes the evil he became and tries to keep him from doing so. It works, except his son becomes the person who is fated to fight him and one of them will have to destroy the other.

Gets tricked by the overlord and gets his body stolen and forcibly mutated into a demon dragon. Actually gets freed from the evil and tries to live a life of peace, only for his son to get kidnapped.

Proceeds to be turned into a snake person by his former mentor and has to send himself to hell to stop him.

Is chained up in a cave in the gut of The Preeminent, and dies again after she's destroyed.

Then gets forcibly resurrected as a sociopath by a girl who idolizes him at his evilest and removes his emotion, and is forced to try and kill his son.

Regains some emotion when he accepts her as a adopted daughter, only for her to immediately be killed by his own hand on accident while fighting Skylor.

Gets defeated by his son again, loses his powers, realizes that the only thing keeping the world from a onslaught of demons is gone, and can't do anything about it.

Mister mxyzptlck was there from nearly the very beginning and thought he was a big thing to Superman but he finds in all of the dimensions he goes to he meant nothing to Superman in all of them which sounds pretty tragic

Acheron Parthenopaeus and Styxx Anaxkolasi would be perfect for this list. Their lives are just complete tragedies.

Sadly, they don't have a profile here on the wiki. But I will link to both Acheron's and Styxx's wiki page for anyone interested in what I mean.

And honestly, the pages don't even go into all of the really horrible details of their lives, as it a basic summary of that point in their lives and so, in reality, it is much worse.

Enjoy!

"both of my parents failed to show up"

Give doof paradox immunity now

What about Baldur for High 6-A? He can't feel anything at all like pain, taste, smell, and temperature due to the spell casted by Freya and remains like this for about a century, which as a result drove him mad.

I mean, I haven't played Umineko, but the god emperor is literally in a "I have no mouth and I must scream" style thing. His body is rotting on the throne while his empire becomes the opposite of what he wanted.

Ser Junkan is my trash son from Enter the Gungeo. Upon the player reaching a death, Junkan sacrifices himself for you just coz he wants you to have an adventure.

No page and I have no idea what tier he'd be (probably 8-B to 8-A, so probably not beating Guts, but still, my trash son lives a tragic life indeed)

If The Director from RvB had a profile, he might be a contender, though.

How do you even get close to death with high level/gold junkan though he beats it for you

Great Lord Gwy for 4-C, him or Deathsingers. If you want an explanation for either, just ask.

@Wok Resourceful Rat ate my high level Junkan, didn't even know he could revive you

Also I think you mean Lord Gwyn and yeah, I'd say he fits for 4-C. Artorias or Siegmeyer might make good candidates for 6-B, too.

dark souls: the game of pitiful bastards

There's a reason that without even going into the SoC basically being composite sadness I could write a wall of text to get it added, not really the happiest series

Oh. Actually, know what, Gehrman, the First Hunter would be a great candidate for 4-C.

In the beginning he was the first of the Hunters, citizens who rose up to slay the beasts that were the result of blood experimentation on their fellow citizens.

Gehrman watched the Hunters get bastardized over time and taken out of his hands. He also watched a character he was in love with die (supposedly) to keep the secrets of this bastardized organization safe.

He was then dragged into the dream by the Moon Presence, and maintains horrible nightmares of what he is forced to do. His only persisting companion is the doll modeled after his former pupil and love interest, and the occasional Hunter whom he tries to put to rest, to keep them from suffering the same fate he did.

He actually has a fair amount of lore going on for him.

hell even Solaire has an argument jesus

Nobody goes into a Dark Souls game and comes out okay

Actually now that you mention him, if you made a file for resourceful rat he'd be pretty good for 8-A. Just look at that 10/10 anime backstory when you beat him in punchout. Though he does admit he never really did know true tragedy upon discovering that your character's face is their real face and not a mask, so

Master Chief should also be in 9-A

He was taken from his family at the age of six and indoctrinated as literally being a living weapon. While a flash clone took his place, who then died after a year. The only freinds he ever had where his fellow kidnapees. On his first mission against the Covenant, he lost Sam who was a great freind of his. And this has haunted him even decades following.

He has seen entire worlds of billions burn, and was completely powerless to stop it. Along with seeing many of the other Spartans he grew up with killed by various means. (Usually vaporized)

And more recently in the verse. He met Cortana, who he became especially attached to. And had to literally watch her slowly die, and then watch her fade away. But worse, she comes back twisted and delusional. Betraying him and attempting to lock him up for like ten thousand years while she enslaved the galaxy.

So yeah, doesn't really compare very well to Guts. But he's up there.

Why every Dark Souls/Bloodborne Character is Pitiful:

Lord Gwyn: "The time of my people is failing, and they are fleeing from my cities. The age that will inevitably end my time is being forced upon me and I have to sacrifice my mind and body in order to keep it going, with dire consequences to the world."

Yhorm the Giant: "I am hated by my people because of my race, and despite sacrificing my life and soul for those people, they all died, despite my attempts to save them. Now my one last friend has to kill me due to a promise."

Abyss Watchers: "We dedicated our lives to destroying what we eventually became, and thus must destroy each other for all eternity."

Seath the Scaleless: "I killed my entire species out of jealousy, and went insane chasing what they had- immortality."

Gravelord Nito: "I didn't have a cooler boss fight"

Bed of Chaos: "I tried to sustain the First Flame with all my might, and it transformed me and my children into horrible monsters."

Sif: "I have protected my master's grave for all of eternity. I will inevitably die defending it against someone that looks much like him."

Artorias: "I was sent to battle the Abyss with my only comrade, and sacrificed my shield and risked my life to save them, only to go mad from the darkness I was sworn to defeat. I died to the hero who achieved what I couldn't. I was the strongest, and I failed."

The Nameless King: "I turned against my father because of my nature, and was expelled from history because of it."

Havel the Rock: "I was imprisoned despite serving Gwyn faithfully, for my plots to kill the bastard Seathe. I went insane, hollow, and was locked away forever."

Siegmeyer: "I set out to be undead, jovial, and to have purpose, so I would not become insane. But no matter what, I always needed help, and never achieved my goals- so I became insane and attacked my daughter, forcing her to kill me."

Solaire: "All I wanted was my own purpose, to achieve some great legacy, only to have the obsession consume me, turn me from my happy nature to a mindless husk controlled by a false idol." I could go on.

Oh and some others.

Gwyndolin: "My father would not accept me as a male and thus assigned me a feminine role. I was the last of the gods, left alone in Anor Londo, after the others left. I watched as the city got taken over by a traitor who imprisoned my only remaining sibling, threatening to eat her. I was sacrificed by this same traitor to gain an ally, resulting in my death."

Slave Knight Gael: "At first, I was a slave, fodder in an army that didn't care about me. I outlived my masters, though. I searched forever for the paint that would grant me and my lady salvation. Literally until the end of time. I slew many until the end of the world to find it, only finding it with the last survivor, who killed me after I went insane. In the end, it was within me all along, and to release it and find salvation for those I was sworn to protect, I had to die."

Father Gascoigne: "I joined the Hunt to protect my wife and daughter, and to fight alongside the father of my wife, Henryk. I became blood-addled, turning beast like, right before my family's eyes. They developed a plan to keep me sane, for awhile, but they could not forever. Their plan eventually failed, and my wife was killed by my own hands, but not by my own will. A Hunter came and told my daughter of her mother. My daughter came looking for me, only to be slain just before finding me- a bloodied corpse in a graveyard, right next to her mother. And just before the safety of her grandfather, Henryk, who went insane after finding out. Finally, my last remaining daughter killed herself from the grief of it all, leaving behind only a bow to be pilfered by a passing Hunter..."

DragonEmperor23 said:
weren't very good at being immortal if they got killed
Lotta different kinds of Immortality boye

Don't forget for how gwyn everything is all his fault, due to his fear, and he knows it

Nito is probably one of the few characters who's not tragic. He's always been like that, silently filling his role without a care for recognition or anything like that.

I personally like to interpret the roar yhorm gives off in the opening cutscene not as a generic "roaring beast" type thing, but a wail of anguish ajd despair upon realizing he is alive again.

I can't really think of many side quests that have happy endings in general.

What tier are the Red Shirts from Star Trek coz I think they win for that tier not gonna lie

Back