• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Monogatari Thread Undo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
This thread serves mostly to undo the changes from this other thread, but does make a few changes orthogonal to it. This thread came about from a conversation on that previous thread on QuasiYuri's wall, if you would like more context.

Someone with the ability to ping users may want to ping Confluctor, QuasiYuri, LephyrTheRevanchist, catzlaflame, Zaratthustra, Teezar, Celestial_Pegasus, and UchihaSlayer96; the users who accepted the previous thread. As well as RatherClueless, CrimsonStarFallen, and Cloozuma; some still-active verse supporters who didn't weigh in on the last thread.

Part of this thread includes spoilers for arcs of Monogatari which have not been adapted into an anime or officially translated as novels, but which have been fan-translated.

Kiss-Shot's Durability​

This downgrade is based on the idea that Koyomi hurting Kiss-shot implies that either Koyomi's AP should be higher, or Kiss-shot's durability should be lower, and backs this up with a statement that vampires have strength 5-10x higher than their durability. I disagree with this on both fronts.

First, my weaker argument; the difference between 9-A and 6-B/5-B seems too large (at least 10^15x difference) to attribute to a stated gap of only 5-10x. On top of that, it's not like vampires have zero durability; as Quasi's quote showed, even random weak vampires have better durability than humans, despite only showing 9-A AP. Does it really seem reasonable that Kiss-shot's massively superior striking strength, lifting strength, and speed are accompanied by zero increase in durability?

But for a stronger argument, as is said on her profile, Kiss-shot was trying to die at the time. I think that this means that she lowered her durability during that. Here's my evidence, from best to worst:
  1. When telling Guillotine-Cutter about her plan to get killed by Koyomi, Guillotine-Cutter says that Kiss-shot could be killed by anyone, as she wishes to die. (Source)
  2. Deathtopia, the vampire who created Kiss-shot, (when incredibly weakened) died when crashing into a mountain. However, she didn't have to; she decided to have her body absorb the impact instead of the mountain, to avoid killing the god who was living there. Had things gone as initially planned, she would've survived and smashed the mountain into smithereens. (Source)
  3. The 6-B rating is based on her jump from Antarctica to Japan. While her landing clearly didn't involve as much force, it was still strong enough to empty the contents of a lake, causing the water to rain down later - an event which sounds far beyond 9-A. Yet in the course of this landing, she didn't suffer a single scratch. (Source)
  4. Kiss-shot's already demonstrated the ability to shapeshift (Source) and the ability to freely control her weight (Source). This provides a few plausible avenues for her (and Deathtopia) to change their durability.
  5. While this jump also likely didn't involve as much force, when she would later jump from Japan to Antarctica, she did so with only one leg, and didn't regenerate until after she landed; making the explanation of "Her body was destroyed by the 6-B forces while jumping, but she regenerated from that destruction in the air" seem a little less likely to me. (Source)
  6. This does kind of counteract the last point, but it is mentioned that she experienced a great degree of friction in her jump from Antarctica to Japan, but that she regenerated from the high temperatures that would cause to an ordinary temperature. Notably, it didn't mention the friction involved tearing apart her body. (Source)
As such, I think her durability should be changed to what it was before: At least 6-B+, possibly 5-B.

Actually, I like Chariot's suggestion; making her durability "Varies, up to at least 6-B+, possibly 5-B"

Kiss-Shot's Speed​

The statement Quasi added to the profile from Kizu was ignored in the first place because she clearly didn't actually perform that feat in that instance, she was just making a joke. I don't think such obvious non-feats merit any inclusion on the profile. However, in the course of making this thread, I found this statement where she says she wasn't entirely joking about being able to circle the earth seven and a half times in one jump. I think that statement should replace the Kizu one on the profile.

Kizu!Koyomi's Durability​

Quasi says that Kizu!Koyomi's durability shouldn't scale to his AP, but to the durability of his lower key, in line with the downgrade of Kiss-shot's durability. This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the Monogatari profiles got their ratings. Kizu!Koyomi's durability comes from a 10x multiplier accepted here on his prior durability. His AP scales to being able to harm characters who can harm him; Episode and Dramaturgy. Episode's calc was only accepted at the 9-A end. Without that, there is no 9-A+ feat in Monogatari, which is what about a dozen pages in the series scale to.

The rating was changed due to a misunderstanding, in a way that made the scaling of the profiles nonsensical, so it should be reverted.

Orthogonal Changes​

I mentioned a few things above that aren't on the profiles. One of them was the additional statement for Kiss-shot's speed rating. Another is upgrading Kiss-shot's Lifting Strength to At least Class G based on her pulling clouds inland to cause rain. Another is giving quasi-vampire Shinobu Density Manipulation (she already has the category for it on her profile, I have no clue why it's not in her P&A). There's a whole myriad of changes the profiles still need, but they'll have to wait for another thread.

Last edited:
Oops, that's an off season thing. I clumped a few of them together like that. She borrowed it from a school club.

You see, I get that her durability is definitely above 9-A, sure, but the 5-B stuff? I am just not seeing much for that.

Neutral on tier 6 Dura too for the time being.

You see, I get that her durability is definitely above 9-A, sure, but the 5-B stuff? I am just not seeing much for that.

Neutral on tier 6 Dura too for the time being.
Do you disagree with 5-B for the AP as well, or just for the dura?

If you disagree with it for AP, do you think the reasoning given is not strong enough for 5-B?

If it's just for the durability, why do you think it's less reliable there? And is there any compromise you have in mind? (i.e. Unknown, likely 6-B+, possibly 5-B).

In here, I meant just for her durability.

As for her 5-B, i always had doubt regarding it. She says make disappear, but we never really get any info regarding how she is going to do it and whatnot. But that's not really the focus of the thread so I will leave that aside for another time.

For the time being, I am fine with unknown rating, likely 6B+ and possibly 5B.

She says make disappear, but we never really get any info regarding how she is going to do it and whatnot

We actually do!

“I left the shrine the moment I felt its presence─well, to be precise, I blew the shrine to dust. Moving was such a bother that I chose to have the shrine disappear.

“I compared it to a daimyo procession…but I would say he had, oh, fifty men with him? I believe he, its leader, was not the only expert, and that the other forty-nine were not mere underlings.

“Well, doing away with a shrine might not be enough of a miracle─but ’twas a sufficient display of power. Though if I truly made use of my power, it would be the earth I could make disappear, not a simple shrine.

“I suppose the sun is the only thing I cannot disappear. Aye, my one and only goal, which I continue to hold to this day.
This context implies that "make disappear" means "blow to dust", and so it's applicable to AP.

And yeah, adding Unknown to the dura doesn't sound too bad to me.

Wouldn't that make her durability less "At least 6-B+, possibly 5-B." and more "Varies, up to at least 6-B+, possibly 5-B."?

Actually yeah, that is probably better.

Anyone had a change in opinion now that I've adopted a Varies as part of Kiss-shot's durability?

Sounds good.

Btw, I think it should be explained that her durability varies depending on who she fights with and likely depending on how she feels ...so people won't be confused why its all around the place (gets hurt by something that is vastly bellow feats show but also can resist to the impact/force of her own attacks which would have killed her if the her body couldn't support them).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll include that in the explanation for her durability.

Probably something along the lines of "Varies (Able to be killed by anyone if she wishes, when trying to die was able to be damaged by Dramaturgy, Episode, Guillotine Cutter, and Koyomi when trying to die, yet is able to survive far stronger attacks without a scratch when she wishes), up to at least 6-B+, possibly 5-B"

I don't think you need to mention twice ''when trying to die''. So, it would look like this, right?

"Varies (Able to be killed by anyone if she wishes, when trying to die was able to be damaged by Dramaturgy, Episode, Guillotine Cutter, and Koyomi, yet is able to survive far stronger attacks without a scratch when she wishes), up to at least Country level+ (Kiss-Shot traveled from Antarctica to Japan with a single jump, the recoil of which nearly destroyed the continent of Antarctica. The impact of her landing obliterated a lake. She emits powerful shockwaves just by laughing. Dragged clouds from the sea to cause rain. Extremely casually created a shrine and turned it to dust on a whim), possibly Planet level (All these feats are casual and the true extent of her powers when serious is unknown, claimed she could destroy the Earth but not the sun)"

Oops my bad. Yeah pretty much, but I wouldn't copy the justifications from the AP.

Of course written to fit the durability, just an idea to how the justification will look like.

It's a bit hard to tell since some comments were rather short and vague, but here's my best guess.

Accepted everything (including durability changes): RatherClueless, CrimsonStarFallen, Zaratthustra

Rejected everything: QuasiYuri

Fine with Unknown, likely 6-B+, possibly 5-B: Confluctor

Fine with Varies, up to at least 6-B+, possibly 5-B: Chariot190

Hmm. The disagreement between different staff members here makes this revision more ambiguous. I personally think that your first post in this thread makes sense though.

You know what, I don't mind varies up to that either. But 5-B I am Hella iffy on. At least tier 6 has some proof - the landing thing - but 5B has none as far as I know.

I think the at least part kinda takes care of it.

Any ideas on who else to ask? I've asked all the verse's active supporters and knowledgeable members, as well as everyone who was in the previous thread.

There doesn't seem to be much stuff to discuss with the people that have replied in this one (Quasi doesn't wanna discuss any of it, Confluctor doesn't want to discuss the 5-B rating in this thread).

Any ideas on who else to ask? I've asked all the verse's active supporters and knowledgeable members, as well as everyone who was in the previous thread.

There doesn't seem to be much stuff to discuss with the people that have replied in this one (Quasi doesn't wanna discuss any of it, Confluctor doesn't want to discuss the 5-B rating in this thread).
I will ask some of our administrators for input.

Thank you.

Do we have sufficient staff agreements here to apply this then?

@Mr._Bambu @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Starter_Pack

Would any of you be willing to help us reach a conclusion here please?
@Mr._Bambu @ByAsura @Starter_Pack

If nobody replies soon, I think that my own and Ovens' agreements can probably act as tiebreakers here.

Last edited:
If nobody replies soon, I think that my own and Ovens' agreements can probably act as tiebreakers here.
Since its been a few days, I'll make the changes.

Oops. Shinobu's page already has Density Manipulation, but it's indexed as [[Density Manipulation|Weight Manipulation]], so that change doesn't really need to be made.

EDIT: And all the changes have been made!

Last edited:
Thank you. Is it fine if we close this thread then, or is there anything left to do here?

Should be fine to close.

Okay. I will do so. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back