• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid: Shouldn't the massively hypersonic+ speed of Tohru and the rest of her race be merely their flight speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention Kanna probably wasn't even moving at her full speed a since she was carrying a child on her back lol.

Yeah I don't understand why we would assume the adult dragons are moving slower than a casual fodder dragon when they are fighting seriously.

Yeah I don't understand why we would assume the adult dragons are moving slower than a casual fodder dragon when they are fighting seriously.
Because, as I've mentioned multiple times, you need to prove they scale their combat speed to their flight speed. Just saying "well it should make sense" isn't enough evidence. Either calc a new feat or find a proper speed justification to keep the current scaling.

they fight and react to others dragons flight, which fits all criteria
You're confusing the criteria. They only would fit it if during the feat itself they reacted and fought Kanna. Different people doing something at a different event is not evidence of combat speed scaling to travel speed. We as a site acknowledge different levels of speed are a valid possibility which is one of the prime reasons things like reaction stacking is not allowed under our rules.

You need to give a solid reason why Kanna's feat could count for combat speed or find a new calc. Because other people doing stuff is just bad power scaling.

Qawsedf234 makes sense to me. Thank you for helping out so much.

I suppose that we need to find some other feat to scale the combat speeds from then.

You're confusing the criteria. They only would fit it if during the feat itself they reacted and fought Kanna. Different people doing something at a different event is not evidence of combat speed scaling to travel speed. We as a site acknowledge different levels of speed are a valid possibility which is one of the prime reasons things like reaction stacking is not allowed under our rules.

You need to give a solid reason why Kanna's feat could count for combat speed or find a new calc. Because other people doing stuff is just bad power scaling.

Yeah?, as they fly and fight in the same speed, in this scene, we can see Tohru flying in the same speed as Kanna, the same Tohru that can react and fly against other dragons and react to their flight even if she is not flying at all, her reaction scales.

Yeah.
as they fly and fight in the same speed, in this scene, we can see Tohru flying in the same speed as Kanna, the same Tohru that can react and fly against other dragons and react to their flight even if she is not flying at all, her reaction scales
That doesn't prove its combat speed. Just flying fast in a straight line with no obstacles does not mean they can rapidly fight at that speed. You need explicit evidence for that as of now.

. Just flying fast in a straight line with no obstacles does not mean they can rapidly fight at that speed.
I was not saying that that feat itself proves reaction combat speed, I was saying that Tohru flies in the same speed as Kanna, as shown in the scan, same Tohru that can react to others dragons flying and stop it attacks mid air despite when she is not moving at all, it does scales to reaction/combat

same Tohru that can react to others dragons flying and stop it attacks mid air despite when she is not moving at all
But that's what I meant in one of my previous comments. Tohru fighting people while flying does not mean she scales to her flightspeed for the same reason you can't take a calced speed and use it for another speed calc. They're two different instances.

Unless you can rebut the statement that the feat is travel speed, then you need a hard statement that they can fight faster then they can fly, have even direct reflex = speed statement or you need to calc something else that they scale to.

she can match the dragons that are flying,
I get that, but it is irrelevant. She would need to react during the feat itself for it to scale to combat speed. The assumption that they must be moving at MHS+ during other scenes is essentially just calc stacking but without a calc at the end.

You can't power scale their combat speed to their travel speed. Here's some examples
Everyone above has travel speed feats considered as combat speed because they have statements or do stuff during the feat that implies their reflexes scale on a 1:1 basis. Kanna flying in one direction is travel speed. You would need to prove the dragons Tohru fights with are moving at MHS+ speed for her to keep the rating and so far no one has provided evidence that they have any backing of a 1:1 speed:reflex scale.

So you need to either calc a new feat, prove Kanna's feat isn't travel speed or get a statement that supports a Dragon's speed being basically the same no matter what.

You would need to prove the dragons Tohru fights with are moving at MHS+ speed
Because they fly in the same speed as Kanna, so, if their Flight speed is MHS+ and they can properly fight against others dragons even when only the enemy is flying and not you, thats a case of combat/reaction
prove Kanna's feat isn't travel speed
it literally is a travel speed feat, the difference is that it also scales to their combat/reaction, as Tohru flies in the same speed as Kanna, same Tohru that can have her flight speed reacted by others dragons, even if they arent flying and only Tohru is

they can properly fight against others dragons even when only the enemy is flying
That doesn't work per our rules regarding calc stacking, which I'm pretty sure apply to here as well
Using speed of characters or attacks calculated at other instances can't be used, as characters and attacks can vary in speed. This is the case regardless of whether the character is seriously trying to do his best or anything similar.
You would need to have them do something during the feat or have a statement about reflexes for it to scale.
, the difference is that it also scales to their flight/reaction
But why? We have characters that can react to a person flying at them but that doesn't mean they scale to their travel speed.

the reaction scales, so, what? i didnt understood what u mean here, and I meant combat/reaction, not flight, i fixed the mistake in the sentence
That doesn't work per our rules regarding calc stacking, which I'm pretty sure apply to here as well
alr, then all characters are tier 9, because a 5-B feat cannot be used to scale the others that scale to the character that peformed the feat, becauseh hey, thats calc stacking lol

the reaction scales, so, what?
Do you have proof that their reaction speed is the same as their flight speed? Just intercepting someone in another scene isn't evidence as mentioned before, you need more to it.
because a 5-B feat cannot be used to scale the others that scale to the character that peformed the feat
That's AP scaling. As long as they can inflict damage on the person or take a hit they scale assuming no contextually circumstances make the scaling bad (like the 5-B feat was with an amp or only applies to environmental destruction).

For travel speed you need evidence as to why they scale for an accelerated speed. You haven't done so at the moment.

flying in ur direction means that it does not scales to reaction?
Because, as I've said before
Just because dragons fight in the air does not mean they would automatically scale to the MHS+ feat, since they could just be moving slower in that instance. You would need to prove she was moving that fast during the fight itself.
You need to prove that they were moving at their maximum speed in that instance for it to scale. As an example of what I'm talking about I'll use Smallville. Superman has FTL combat speed and MFTL+ travel speed, but Impulse scales to his travel speed because it was noted that Superman's top speed was still slower than his cruise speed. The Black Racer was also so fast in that arc that Superman was incapable of perceiving his existence until he got amped, further backing the scaling.

If you can find a statement like that for Dragon Maid then the scaling can remain the same. But you need to have a statement or disprove the notion that Kanna's feat was only travel speed. If you can't you'll have to find a new speed justification.

Because, as I've said before

You need to prove that they were moving at their maximum speed in that instance for it to scale. As an example of what I'm talking about I'll use Smallville. Superman has FTL combat speed and MFTL+ travel speed, but Impulse scales to his travel speed because it was noted that Superman's top speed was still slower than his cruise speed. The Black Racer was also so fast in that arc that Superman was incapable of perceiving his existence until he got amped, further backing the scaling.

If you can find a statement like that for Dragon Maid then the scaling can remain the same. But you need to have a statement or disprove the notion that Kanna's feat was only travel speed. If you can't you'll have to find a new speed justification.
different than superman or black whatever, it was nowhere stated that their top speed is lower than their cruise or whatever it means, but i don't even care to it, this is site standards at all, and I don't want to change or mess with it, much less wast my time there, i will not search anything in this verse until certain day, and i legit dont care to what happens to it, as I am a normal user and not staff, it literally does not matter, so, i will not lose my time with bullshit standards until that certain day, well, unfollowing, you guys can do whatever you want to the profiles

it was nowhere stated that their top speed is lower than their cruise or whatever it means
Cruising speed is the economical speed of a vehicle that isn't their maximum. Like a 747 passenger plane can hit 650 MPH, but its cruising speed is 400-500 MPH because going faster wastes fuel and doesn't really add much benefit to the trip. The comment was just that Superman maximum top speed is what Impulse usually runs at, which is why he is scaled to Superman's travel speed.

Seems like the most foolproof way to settle this debate is to calculate Tohru's and Elma's beams.

This is the anime version btw, if anyone needs it.

Tohru and Elma do fight the second time.
Here's anime Version, while the manga version is Chapter 64.
The anime makes a fair use of artistic license, and I'm not sure how we treat anime/manga differences for this verse.
Anime versions are fine if they are a one-on-one replica of the manga. Which seems to be that way here.

I will try to make some calculations later. But it will yield some decent results, given just how quickly the beam forms.

Last edited:
Not all fights in Dragon Maid are 1:1 with the manga though. For example, Tohru vs Elma 2 created a super massive crater in the anime but that didn't happen at all in the manga, and there are other changes that made the fight look better from a visual and choreography standpoint.

Tohru vs Elma 1 seems to be 1:1 with the manga though, so the timeframe for their beam clash is probably fine to use, I think.
There should be other feats but I can't find them right now.

Not all fights in Dragon Maid are 1:1 with the manga though. For example, Tohru vs Elma 2 created a super massive crater in the anime but that didn't happen at all in the manga, and there are other changes that made the fight look better from a visual and choreography standpoint.

Tohru vs Elma 1 seems to be 1:1 with the manga though, so the timeframe for their beam clash is probably fine to use, I think.
There should be other feats but I can't find them right now.
A lot of Dragon Ball feats aren't 1:1 with the manga either. For example, we are never shown Frieza's Planet Vegeta bust in the manga physically, ever. We use the DBS version for all the canon mediums, including the DBZ manga, the Chou manga and the Super anime. Or Piccolo's moon feat, where the moon-busting portion is anime-exclusive but the beam itself speeding from Earth to the moon applies in full for both manga and all anime versions of the feat that exist for it.

Not every single feat in the anime has to be 1:1 with the manga, but anime feats that are generally 1:1 with the manga version without any overwhelming differences should be good to go for both versions.

I will try to cook up some calcs later. I'll download a high-quality version of the episode for extra accuracy eventually.

Last edited:
A lot of Dragon Ball feats aren't 1:1 with the manga either. For example, we are never shown Frieza's Planet Vegeta bust in the manga physically, ever. We use the DBS version for all the canon mediums, including the DBZ manga, the Chou manga and the Super anime.
That's why I'm asking how manga vs anime differences are being treated for Dragon Maid.
Because the Dragon Ball feat you're talking about is very different. IIRC we knew Frieza busted Planet Vegeta as a statement in the manga, the anime was the visual aid. In Dragon Maid, something happened in the anime that didn't happen in the manga at all, in other words an anime-exclusive scene. Completely different.

Although my knowledge is limited, from my experience, the changes the anime make is often disregarded if it's not the source material if it contradicts the manga. This happened a lot with MHA.

Manga: Elma slams Tohru to the ground, Tohru complains that Elma isn't rusty at all.
Anime: They appear to cause a massive volcanic eruption/explosion and either creates a crater or Elma dissipates the magma. Elma slams Tohru to the wall of that crater, Tohru complains that Elma isn't rusty at all.

So the fight should be compared to the manga to see whether there are significant alterations or not to certain scenes. That's just what I was trying to say.

I will try to cook up some calcs later.
That would be great.

That's why I'm asking how manga vs anime differences are being treated for Dragon Maid.
Because the Dragon Ball feat you're talking about is very different. IIRC we knew Frieza busted Planet Vegeta as a statement in the manga, the anime was the visual aid. In Dragon Maid, something happened in the anime that didn't happen in the manga at all, in other words an anime-exclusive scene. Completely different.
Same deal here, the actual beam clash here happens more or less in the same way as in the manga (Minus the whole kissing thing in the anime, but the beam itself launches into space the same way as in the manga).

Although my knowledge is limited, from my experience, the changes the anime make is often disregarded if it's not the source material if it contradicts the manga. This happened a lot with MHA.
Only if the anime feat has significant visual differences from the manga feat itself, it was concluded as such in a CRT for said topic a year or so back IIRC, MHA was also the center of the discussion.

Manga: Elma slams Tohru to the ground, Tohru complains that Elma isn't rusty at all.
Anime: They appear to cause a massive volcanic eruption/explosion and either creates a crater or Elma dissipates the magma. Elma slams Tohru to the wall of that crater, Tohru complains that Elma isn't rusty at all.
But that's not part of the actual beam clash, is it? If it isn't, then it shouldn't matter in the long run.

Again, not every other feat in the anime has to exist in the manga for you to be able to use anime timeframe for another feat that happens in both the anime and the manga and the anime feat happens to be a one-to-one replica. And not all of those small anime-exclusive scenarios have to exist in the manga for you to be able to use that one-to-one anime replica of the manga feat.

The Frieza thing doesn't really count. It was a canonical flashback scene that applies to manga. It's different from something like Fairy Tail meteor calc which uses the anike to get a timeframe.

The Frieza thing doesn't really count. It was a canonical flashback scene that applies to manga. It's different from something like Fairy Tail meteor calc which uses the anike to get a timeframe.
My bad. Prolly look to the Roshi moonbust or Piccolo moon-bust then (If those fit). But my point is, other different feats shouldn't matter if the actual feat we're dealing with is performed in a 1:1 fashion as in the manga. Other feats in other chapters (That may or may not be done in a similar way in the anime) are a non-factor here.

Thank you for offering to provide some calculations here KLOL.

I have made a readme file of my calc as an initial draft. Good news.

Timeframe in the anime is 0.36 seconds.

Manga version is Mach 5600-ish for the beam, Mach 2800-ish for Tohru and Elma individually since they both contributed to this with their mouths.

Anime version is Sub-relativistic, 2.6% SoL for the beam itself, 1.3% SoL for the two individually.

This is just a sneak peek. I will upload it in a blog in a few hours.

DMUA has evaluated the calc, says he's fine with it.

But just in case, I also asked DragonGamer, Migue and Mitch, since they usually review anime calcs on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back