• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor Tales of Berseria addition

The_Divine_Phoenix

She/Her
VS Battles
Image Helper
Basically, an ability I forgot to add when revising Magilou's profile.

She should have Low-Mid Regenerationn based on this cutscene (7:27:06 - 7:29:50)

Basically, she gets her heart destroyed over and over again and reconstructs it.

I don't think he's talking about her actual heart, He's talking about her spirit or mind.

https://youtu.be/lthR_l5BbNA?t=25055.

I'm positive he isn't actually destroying her heart.

Edit: "Illusions won't work on me. You can't break a heart that's already broken."

"...That day, I interrupted my arte when your heart broke. I suppose I was taking pity upon my student. But this time I won't hold back. I will grind your heart into dust!"

I don't think so, he refers to it as "destroying and rebuilding", that implies it being physical, along with the fact that his attacks seem to be causing physical pain to her. I don't think it means spirit, as her rebuilding it over a hundred times makes little sense if it isn't physical.

> "destroying and rebuilding", that implies it being physical

Not exactly correct. Fiction applies these words to immaterial things as well

Tales of Berseria Official World Guidance Book explains that it was an illusion the broke Magilou's "heart" orginally, specifically it was the same illusion that Velvet saw in Aball.

I don't have the book, but the people who have translated it seem say the same thing.

Her heart was broken because she embraced the illusion instead of rejecting it.

Magliou even says that illusions won't work on her anymore.

That may have been what broke it originally, however, this scene implies that this time, it is being broken properly. Why do I say this? Because, first of all, Melchior's illusions are physical, had he been torturing her with illusions, we would be able to see them, like in Aball. Second, the fact that he attacks and she recoils and falls over from the attack, this greatly implies physical damage, not just the mental kind.

None of that implies actual damage, many mental attacks make people bend over in pain. There's no proof that he's literally destroying her heart, especially when they've already used the word heart to refer to her mind/spirit.

Also I don't remember his illusions ever being stated to be physical.

There is no proof that he's really destroying her heart, her reacting in pain means nothing. Mental pain can easily make people scream, even if nothing is actually happening.

"...That day, I interrupted my arte when your heart broke. I suppose I was taking pity upon my student. But this time I won't hold back. I will grind your heart into dust!"

"This time I won't hold back." He's literally saying he's going to do the same thing as before, the same as when her heart broke for the first time. The illusion was her living a happy life with her family. This is clearly mental pain, not real pain.

I feel like Rusty makes a lot of sense here. Watching the video again, I can see that it isn't her heart being destroyed in a literal sense.

Fair enough, though I will mention that his illusions have always been shown as physical, both in Aball and his fight on Mount Killaraus, so it seemed a bit odd to me that we didn't see anything, as we haven't actually seen him attack the mind directly.

Melchior has attacked the mind before using his illusions.

He used them on Aifread, who resisted it for seven days.

In the end, what broke Magilou's heart was an illusion of her living a happy life with her family. Melchior says he isn't going to pity her like he did last time, which means he's doing the same thing he did to her in the past. So it doesn't really matter if his illusion can be physical since he still isn't actually breaking her heart, he's showing her an illusion.

Magilou even says this while Melchior is breaking her heart.

"Don't... Don't worry... If Velvet can do it... There's no way I can't."

Velvet broke out of Melchior's illusion, she never had her heart literally broken by him. Magilou is saying that if Velvet can beat his illusions, then she should be able to as well.

We only got a statement regarding Aifread though, the illusions we saw in Aball, the fortress the name of which I can't remember and Killaraus were all physical, that's why it seemed off to me that they would start working differently, as in every other instance we see his illusions appearing physically, not just attacking the mind. If anything, I suppose this just upgrades his illusions, meaning he can show them to people without having to manifest them physically like he did in the previous cases.

Back