• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Military Ceremony (Kiyotaka [Nurturing High School vs Komugi [Hunter x Hunter])

Catbowtie

Any/All

THIS IS NOT A REGULAR VS BATTLES MATCH. READ SCENARIO & RULES.

Prime Kiyotaka vs Komugi

Assumptions​

Both are In-Character
Speed Equalized (If it means anything)
Kiyotaka has Prior Knowledge: Kiyotaka knows how to play Gungi
Both combatants have a day of preparation before the first round.​

Scenario​

Kiyotaka is sent by White Room's founder and header to challenge Komugi's title as the World Gungi Champion.

Rules​

Combatants are playing Gungi in the king's room of the Royal Palace of East Gorteau. The location is completely empty.
After a round of Gungi is completed, both combatants will have twelve hours of rest, preparation, or otherwise, downtime.
Best of five wins the World Gungi Champion Trophy and the Versus Battles match.
Three draws will make the match Inconclusive

At first, I cried. I cried because I missed people, and then I learnt that no one was coming to help me.@Inferno3054, @XxZetsuxX, @DeltaStriker22, @TheHuntsman1001
There's a saying among players... ...Tha' "A Gungi king is a mere mortal once he's lost." If I lose... I'm worthless.@Catbowtie
Tie.

Last edited:
I'd say Kiyotaka takes this.

For one, there's his learning ability, which has been demonstrated multiple times in both the main series and volume 0 of COTE. It's very important that we go over this since you gave Ayanokoji a day of prep, and also allowed him to understand the rules of the game. In the main series, Ayanokoji has a number of feats where he was capable of learning how to perform multiple tasks at a professional level after only learning the mere basics.

Examples:

- Y2V7, toy gun. During a cultural festival, Ayanokoji went out on a date with his girlfriend, Kei Karuizawa. During this date, they decided to play a target practice game in which you are supposed to shoot a target with a toy gun to win a prize. Ayanokoji three shots to do it, and got it on his third try as he used the first two to test the gun itself and calculate the best position to aim from. He had no experience with firearms prior to this.

- Y2V8, skiing. In this volume, Ayanokoji taught the basics of skiing for 30 minutes. A day afterwards, he went onto the most difficult skiing trail with three other characters, and copied the movements of two of these characters to surpass them immediately. The speed by which he copied their skills was done within an instant to a few seconds at most.

- In Volume 0, Ayanokoji demonstrated heightened learning ability by learning upper level high school to entry level college academia at the age of 5, when his formal only education began at 3. In the White Room, the education received from ages 0-5 is considered to be the "basics", whereas the students receive more difficult training at the age of 6.

This is also likely relevant (or not), but Kiyotaka is also a master at chess. His feats include beating multiple "chess professionals" at the age of 7 (the same age he likely started learning how to play). This is an insane feat, as IRL individuals such as Magnus Carlson took 8 years to become a GM (5-13), with the youngest GM (Abhimanyu Mishra) becoming one at the age of 12 after learning for close to 10 years (2.5-12).

The current Ayanokoji also has a feat of outcalculating a chess engine in Y1V11, in which he came up with a move that the engine was unable to find for itself.
(Chess Feat document)

Of course, I am saying all this without knowing too much about Ayanokoji's opponent in this scenario. So if Komugi remains superior regardless of Ayanokoji's displayed feats, then I'll gladly hear out any reasoning on such an outcome.

If you are using Prime Kiyotaka, just note that current key is better than the prime key in intelligence, because Kiyotaka has much more experience now and has learnt many new things.

If you are using Prime Kiyotaka, just note that current key is better than the prime key in intelligence, because Kiyotaka has much more experience now and has learnt many new things.
That is actually a good point to clarify since the title of the thread says Kiyotaka Nurturing High School which would be his current key, not prime.

Why give her a day of prep time when she is already a master?
The preparation before the first round is so that she could (possibly?) make strategizes in Gungi, or just waste it. I don't know, but the twelve hours preparation time is to let Komungi record her moves in the first round and create strategizes around them.

I wanted the kid vs kid versus Battles Match. It was too good to pass up. But if Komugi stomps this version of Kiyotaka, then I'll change to his current key.

Edit: I peaked with Versus Battles threads. I saw Atreus' and Riku's VS Battles matchup and said "what about that but different." Saw Koji's Intelligence and originally I was going to do Meruem vs Koji, but I checked to see if Komugi had a profile and the rest was history.

I wanted the kid vs kid versus Battles Match. It was too good to pass up. But if Komugi stomps this version of Kiyotaka, then I'll change to his current key.

Edit: I peaked with Versus Battles threads. I saw Atreus' and Riku's VS Battles matchup and said "what about that but different." Saw Koji's Intelligence and originally I was going to do Meruem vs Koji, but I checked to see if Komugi had a profile and the rest was history.
Honestly despite the fact that current key is definitely smarter overall, in this specific matchup I don't think it actually makes that big of a difference. The main question here is whether Ayanokouji's learning ability and adaptability is strong/fast enough to get above Komugi with prep time and 5 games.

His best LA and Adaptability feats are easily from surpassing the curriculum of the White Room so his current key doesn't add much more to that. (He has more physical adaptability feats like skiing feat or archery but those seem less relevant here). However, for how quickly he can adapt to situations and incorporate new information and then even improve on it both the Ski feat and the Archery feat provide more concrete examples.

Ski Feat, this is right after Ayanokouji first learned to Ski. They also noted that this was on the advanced course. (Y2V8)

"The two skiers were now at risk of colliding with each each other due to the overlap and course positioning. No, this wasn’t a mere coincidence. It should be considered a warning, as though they were suggesting that it’ll still be a victory, even if you tackle your opponent, and make them fall. I copied both of their moves and accelerated, absorbing almost all of their techniques. “Die, Kito!” “Get lost, Ryuuen!” I sent the delayed sound of such voices, and just before they were about to collide, I forcefully inserted myself in a small gap between the two."

"Over the years I had lived, my body and soul accumulated countless experiences. Even if skiing itself was new to me, sports in general were basically connected by broad and shallow lines. I just tried to connect them with the verbal and visual information I received."

He was able to watch their technique and instant absorb it and integrate it into his own abilities, meaning his adaptability works instantly after seeing something and understanding it he can copy and integrate those skills.

The archery feat is a similar example of him integrating a new skill extremely quickly. The day after first shooting a bow and arrow, he was able to learn how to perfectly hit the bullseye with no deviation. After his first shot hit for 8 points he corrects him aim and hits 10 points for all 5 remaining shots. (Y2V11)

"I fired the first arrow before anyone else got a chance. It pierced the yellow eight-point area. Well, the other students were still fumbling with their preparation, I shifted to fire my second arrow and waited for permission. This left us with only one point of leeway, but that didn’t matter. Immediately upon my first shot, I corrected my trajectory, which was slightly off. The second arrow pierced the yellow ten-point center. If this had been a 70 m distance, it might’ve been impossible due to factors like wind, but at 20 m, there were no drawbacks. As the instructor collected the arrows, I shot without a moment's delay. I repeated the same motion like a machine. The same motion, the same position, I just needed to maximize the repeatability."

So in practice his adaptability works instantly and I know @RoggerReggor can probably explain this better since I have seen him do so before, but this should give an idea of how quickly he can learn and adapt to new information.

As for Komugi, her feats of beating Meruem are incredibly impressive in their own right. As Merum was also constantly learning and she continuously improved to stay ahead of him. Now I should confirm whether you are allowing Komugi access to nen in this match. If not then frankly I don't think she stands much chance. She would win the first match but likely by the second Ayanokouji's adaptability would surpass her. I will assume she has access to nen for now though. I don't remember exactly how many games she played with Meruem but I am fairly sure it was more than 5, and I am not sure her LA, while very potent, would be enough given that Ayanokouji can learn and adapt much faster. Although given her massive starting advantage and that nen would allow her another advantage in her own learning ability picking a winner is difficult.

I am not voting here, since I want to wait for other responses and tbh Idk who I actually have winning under these circumstances yet.

I will assume she has access to nen for now though.
Komugi has Nen and a book & pencil to record her movements. Kiyotaka can access books about Gungi if he chooses to (The exact same scenario and book where Meruem read about Gungi)

I don't remember exactly how many games she played with Meruem but I am fairly sure it was more than 5
It was revealed to me in a dream that it was 51 (Joking, but I swear I saw it was 51 somewhere) If you can find the exact amount of times she played Meruem, I'll go with that. Or I can find it myself.

I agree with Huntsman and Inferno.

And yes, there is probably no case for there being a difference in current Ayanokouji and prime Ayanokouji's abilities for at least a mind game which involves board puzzle and stuff, considering how the hardest ones he would have faced would be in the White Room. Only that he would be less good at chess as for not having played against Arisu, who is canonically better at chess than any White Room professional, and chess and Gungi do possess a level of similarity.

Still, I think knowing Komugi's learning abilities would be a good thing. It's just that with prior knowledge about Gungi and about 1 day of preparation, Ayanokouji can become insanely unstoppable. And he is also a type of person who would rather see all the matches of Komugi in the day and analyze her and somehow just adapt to her techniques.

Updated the votes. Do any of you have background knowledge of Meruem besides what it tells you in his VSB profile?

Updated the votes. Do any of you have background knowledge of Meruem besides what it tells you in his VSB profile?
Meruem has incredible FRI and VCI (I guess) being able to learn things ungodly fast and learning how to speak from birth?

I do, I’ve watched HxH multiple times. I’ll wait for other people to start voting or give more background on Meruem/Komugi and if nobody does than I can later when I have more time to respond.

Chess feat doc has been repeatedly debunked over and over again. It’s voodo, inaccurate.
Doesn't mean those "debunks" are accurate. Those attempts (all from the same person) have been continually rebunked by Huntsman a myriad of times. The only issue is that there hasn't been a conclusive debate on it due to a lack of judging.

It's stupid to call the CF "voodoo" based on "multiple" debunks without actually paying attention to the counterarguments. It's very clear according to the text in Y1V11 that Ayanokoji's move surpassed that of the engine.

Komugi slams Kiyotaka in three matches and it isn’t even funny Part 1​

Exaggerated, but the message is serious. I decided to split my post in parts to allow for counter-arguments, elaborations from more knowledgeable parties (I watched HxH through Youtube videos and read Wikipedia pages XD), and any other edit that can be made, as well as to prevent a For-Reasons-Above train before I can get my post out (Yes I lied it would've taken more than hours)

In order to see where Kiyotaka stacks up against Komugi, first, we have to compare the intelligence of Kiyotaka and Meruem together. If Meruem and Kiyotaka are comparable and/or Kiyotaka isn’t considerably above Meruem, then Komugi beats Kiyotaka simply because she definitively sits above Mureum’s Post-Rose Key and all of his mental abilities. I’ll be using Meruem’s profile as a starting point, then use videos from Hunter X Hunter to further contextualize his intelligence, and then compare Kiyotaka and Meruem.

Meruem vs Kiyotaka & Meruem Wank Session

This section is meant for anyone that hasn't seen Hunter x Hunter, does know what Hunter x Hunter is but doesn't know the exact extent of Meruem's—and therefore Komugi's—abilities and intelligence, or anything in between. It's also meant to gather the collection of Meruem's accumulated intelligence feats that is sprinkled throughout the show

In Meruem's Skills and Mental Abilities, he has Genius Intelligence, Photographic Memory, Accelerated Development, and Precognition. Meruem went up against Isaac Netero, a pretty solid and powerful fighter who once held the title of "most powerful Nen user." Isaac Netero has a Nen ability called 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva where he can summon a statue with a large amount of hands (most likely literally a hundred hands) that can attack in any amount of combinations using any hand. Meruem considers the possible combinations to be "practically infinite." Despite this, Meruem mentally narrowed down this "practically infinite" amount of combinations to a manageable set of combinations by detecting Netero's "rhythm" This is what Meruem's Precognition is. It's not a Nen ability, it's Meruem using his intelligence to figure out a person's "rhythm." Rhythm is basically unconscious bias that guides a person's choices. Since I'm just regurgitating his profile, I'll post the full reference from his Intelligence section:
He is capable of examining multiple scenarios in a matter of seconds. He excels at identifying his opponent's "rhythm," the unconscious bias that guides their choices, and at disrupting it or turning it against them, not only gaining insight into their thought process but also managing to exploit it for his benefit. Playing Gungi with Komugi elevated his pattern-recognition skills to an ability similar to precognition. Thanks to this faculty, he was able to penetrate Netero's otherwise impregnable defense, even predicting what body parts he would be able to cut off in advance

Meruem's Accelerated Development is seen from the very start of his debut. Meruem can talk before he was born, develop Nen naturally, which is a power source that takes several weeks to learn even for characters that have "infinite potential" like Gon has, and beat the world champions of Shogi and Go in a single sitting after reading rulebooks about the two games with no mental & physical rest in between (0:00-0:52) While it is true that it took ten games to beat the Go champion, it still shows that he has incredibly fast development as Meruem did all this while being days old. This Post-Rose Key amplifies all of these respectable abilities to a "much higher level." This "much higher level" Meruem goes on to play Komugi in Gungi again and continuously lose against her. To further contextualize this, it is said in the Hunter x Hunter Hunterpedia that Post-Rose Meruem played against Komugi for "hundreds of games" but this presents a problem. I looked at the source it gives (Hunter × Hunter - Volume 30, Chapter 318) and nowhere does the chapter mention that they played "hundreds of times." So there's two options from here

1. We all agree that Meruem has played Komugi in Gungi hundreds of times: @RoggerReggor

2. We all disagree that Meruem has played Komugi in Gungi hundreds of times
I believe the section holds at least a bit of truth, because if it didn't it would've been erased by the people responsible for maintaining profiles, but also Wikipedias sometimes have the tendency to overlook or have some mistakes fall through the cracks. There can't be any split on the decision to agree or disagree since arguments would boil down to unsolvable disagreements coming from the aforementioned two points. Continuing from my point of Meruem continuing to play Gungi with Komugi, Meruem

Purely going off Kiyotaka's profile. He already boasts Enhanced Accelerated Development, Technique Mimicry, and Analytical Prediction, stacking on top of White Room Training (Beta Curriculum) There's already posts from previous users (See Huntsman's message containing Kiyotaka's Ski and Archery feat), so I won't be reiterating that. Prime Key massively enhances these abilities. Kiyotaka's Intelligence section gives him a hefty sum of feats to look through. Even with this, I still believe that Kiyotaka's and Meruem's Intelligence are comparable. I won't be mentioning and using the Hunterpedia's statement of "hundreds of times" until we come to a conclusion. Meruem is shown to think of multiple moves at once in seconds, with his proceeding calculations becoming better and better, having a "much higher level" of his Precognition, and his Accelerated Development becoming stronger too, I think that a Post-Rose Meruem would be comparable to Kiyotaka in Intelligence with small room to put one above the other.

Post-Script​

I made this over a few hours with disjointed thoughts and stuff. If some sentences seem contradictory to another, or don't follow what I previously said, just point it out and I'll straighten it out. I'll reply to counter-arguments in my Part 2 but I'll send small messages to anyone that corrects my mistakes and edit this to have more concise and understandable wording, as well as adding some points I forgot to add or didn't have a good "reading flow" (for lack of a better term) to add.

Last edited:
If we talking about pure IQ

Then i believe Koji obliterates Meruem because of Chess Feat and Perfect Memory Hax no concept of diff

Meruem and Kiyotaka aren't comparable though. Meruem is a fast learner, he learns things very fast and at an unnatural rate. And Kiyotaka is a type of person who just absorbs information. So, if both Meruem and Kiyotaka are to fight someone for 10 straight matches, both would beat their opponent at the tenth match. However, while Meruem would show a constant rate of growth, and improve game-by-game, and Kiyotaka would do the same, but not show a constant rate.

Frankly speaking, Kiyotaka would suck at the first few matches. He isn't like Meruem who becomes a master at games after just knowing its rules, but a person who strives perfection. Meruem is a type of person who is a "grasper", like he's a natural genius who can learn things without being fed with enough information, meanwhile Kiyotaka requires to know everything.
Without the fundamentals, one would be too focused on memorizing to get results.
On the other hand, people like Yuki and Shiro often got good results the firsttime.
They were able to quickly grasp the basics even though they didn't know them.
I guess you could call it a sense. That was the difference.
But I didn't envy them.
It has been proven in many curricula that you can make up the difference by learning and consolidating the basics, regardless of the initial gap.
It was okay if you weren't good at first. The first step was to build the basics and learn to apply them to yourself
He is type of person whose main learning strength is quite literally Information Analysis and memorizing information. According to Kiyotaka himself, he has no ability to grasp things, and he lacks the basic senses which makes a person have a grasp over things.

If Meruem and Kiyotaka both were to compete against a single chess player, then Meruem would improve his chess at a constant rate, stacking up and becoming stronger at the game with each successive game. And while Kiyotaka would also become better with each passing game, he will become better immediately at one point. Let's say both take some equal amount of time (take 10, for example) in doing that, then Kiyotaka would absolutely suck at the first few games, and then, he would start developing rapidly. So, if you were to plot a graph of development process against time taken for both, it would be something like this:
Lslwfdh.png

And after a few times, Kiyotaka will develop past Meruem and take very less time for further developments.

So, in a scenario where both are given a quality of preparation time, Kiyotaka will be more likely to have developed further by the end. In fact, Kiyotaka is a kind of learner who would develop better against a stronger opponent. Like as Huntsman and Inferno already gave the scans for, Kiyotaka quickly developed when he was observing a better person. In the skiing feat, he was doing worse than Kushida (she's like intermediate level in skiing) as he was not consciously trying to do better, and when he observed Ryuuen and Kitou and that, he had already learnt the basics, it took him an instant to absorb all the information and get to the level of both of them, and Ryuuen and Kitou are described to be much better than Kushida at skiing by Kushida herself (Year 2 Volume 8).

So, if Kiyotaka has a day worth of time for preparation, he will observe Komugi and study her. As he already knows how to play Gungi, I will presume that it isn't included in the preparation time, and that will mean that the basics about Gungi are already known by him. And as Gungi bears a kind of resemblance with chess, Kiyotaka will try to connect the dots and try to incorporate things learnt in chess into Gungi (which he already is above the level of professional at). And yes, Kiyotaka has feats of trying to connect the knowledge of one learnt thing into a skill which he is trying to learn, like the skiing feat.
Unfortunately, I was no such manga protagonist. Over the course of my life thus far, I had accumulated countless experiences in my body. Even though skiing specifically was new to me, sports in general were connected by broad strokes. I just linked those points together and skied using the information that I had gained, both verbally and visually.

So, for these reasons, I think Kiyotaka having a day of preparation time would just make it easy for him due to his development strategy.

(Though I will be all ears and listen to arguments and not vote for now.)

Zetsu's vote has been added.

So, for these reasons, I think Kiyotaka having a day of preparation time would just make it easy for him due to his development strategy.
Are you proposing to change it or just making a statement?

Part 2 comes out later (Mfw I am humbly reminded that there are better VS debaters out there) Does anyone agree or disagree that Meruem has played Komugi in hundreds of matches in Gungi? (If it even matters)

Zetsu's vote has been added.

Part 2 comes out later (Mfw I am humbly reminded that there are better VS debaters out there) Does anyone agree or disagree that Meruem has played Komugi in hundreds of matches in Gungi? (If it even matters)
I am neutral on Meruems thingy

I know right? Just making sure I was right to give some prior knowledge and preparation.

Well, as they are doing best of three, Kiyotaka being an insane adaptation god would probably learn Komugi's playstyle in-between games as well, but that's his current key. I don't have enough confidence about it applying to his prior keys.

Anyways, I was making a statement and not proposing to change it.
I don't see a problem in agreeing to Meruem having played 100s of games against Komugi.

Doesn't mean those "debunks" are accurate. Those attempts (all from the same person) have been continually rebunked by Huntsman a myriad of times. The only issue is that there hasn't been a conclusive debate on it due to a lack of judging.

It's stupid to call the CF "voodoo" based on "multiple" debunks without actually paying attention to the counterarguments. It's very clear according to the text in Y1V11 that Ayanokoji's move surpassed that of the engine.
Well I deleted that post specifically so that no back and forth occurs. So lets not delve into that here.

KsKitmaiief Part 2​

Since I see one person that's agreeing to Meruem and Komugi playing hundreds of matches and there's been no objections for four days, I will be using it in my argument for Komugi.

Komugi​

Note: A lot of this is just going to be disorganized statements and wouldn't exactly be ordered neatly. Sorry if you have to re-read a few sentences to understand what I'm saying or paragraphs feel out of place.

I don't think Kiyotaka wins because of a few points:

1. Kiyotaka's application of his Information Analysis and Adaptability would be far too late to beat Komugi.

2. Anything that Kiyotaka does that remotely copies Komugi would be countered on the spot by Komugi.

3. The minimum of two hundred games of Gungi Meruem and Komugi played would practically tackle all strategizes that Kiyotaka would theoretically do in Gungi

Taking the information from RoggerReggor, Kiyotaka is a perfectionist who developments improves against a stronger opponents, can instantly develop at a certain point, and main strength is Information Analysis and memorizing information.

Gungi and Chess are as comparable as Boxing is to Karate, that is to say that while both board games inhabit the same genre and have the same visual pieces, that is where their similarities end. Gungi is described by the Hunter x Hunter wiki to be "a non-checkered game board with 81 squares arranged in a 9×9 grid. At the beginning of the game, players can choose how their pieces will be arranged on their side of the board. Additionally, pieces can be stacked on top of each other, adding a third dimension to the game. Up to two additional pieces can be stacked on top of a piece, for up to three pieces in a single column. There are 25 pieces for each player, one side black and one white. As with similar games, the objective is to checkmate the opponent's 'King'" The only things in Chess that are comparable to Gungi is the grid and the pieces, even then the comparison is very specific. Chess does not allow players to arrange pieces at the beginning of the game. Gungi has 9 extra pieces to account for and a 3D element to the game. Kiyotaka does know the basics of Gungi and has a day of preparation that can be used to study strategizes, but that doesn't mean anything because I confidently believe that either Komugi has seen these strategizes before (Komugi has reign for five consecutive years in Gungi) or are elementary strategizes meant for beginners.

Round 1

Komugi will bare minimum take round one since Kiyotaka's Information Analysis is proactive instead of passive, that is to say that Kiyotaka would be using the first round to study Komugi. If it is said that Kiyotaka would instantly copy and adapt Komugi's strategizes in this round, Komugi has demonstrated that she is able to counter her own strategizes. It can be wanked to say that she can counter any move she's done before, so, that's out there if anyone wants to agree with that. Even if Kiyotaka's Accelerated Development and Technique Mimicry are potent enough to activate immediately, Kiyotaka is said to "copy" the move first and foremost, then improve upon it to surpass the original variant. At that point, Komugi's Enchantment Nen would have made up the difference as Komugi passively and uncannily rapidly improves when she plays Gungi. Remember, it's passively improves her abilities in Gungi to an uncanny degree, so it doesn't matter if Kiyotaka is already adapted or not. Komugi's Nen is depicted to automatically supply Komugi's mind with "marvelous moves."

Downtime 1​

Since Round 1 is completed, twelve hours of rest. Depending on which path arguments takes, either Kiyotaka would just be beginning to adapt to Komugi or Kiyotaka already has adapted to Komugi. I don't know Kiyotaka too much to know what he would do for Downtime In-Character, but Komugi would be using this time to record her "marvelous moves" which would happen regardless of the outcome in Round 1

Round 2​

Now, I will be separating Round 2 into two paths: The Immediate Adaptation Path and Perfectionism Path. The Immediate Adaptation Path is the path where Kiyotaka's Accelerated Development and Technique Mimicry works instantaneously, and the Perfectionism Path is the path where Kiyotaka's Accelerated Development and Technique Mimicry doesn't work instantaneously.

Immediate Adaptation Path: Since Kiyotaka's Adaptation works instantly, it'd pretty much boil down to Kiyotaka copying and improving Komugi's Gungi skills, only to be rivaled right back because of the potency of Komugi's Nen. To go off the main ride here, the potency of Komugi's Nen is at least implied to be able to be far above Post-Rose Meruem's enhanced Mental Abilities and Extraordinary Genius that even after 200 games minimum of Gungi, he was still not able to win once and even saying that "I could...Never beat you, even once" This can be either him just reflecting on his past games, or saying that despite his gained abilities, he never saw himself beating Komugi. This is the same Meruem that bare minimum thinks about 30 (Manga version. It could be counted as 32 for the strategizes that are partially/fully blocked by Meruem's body) or 100 (Anime Version. I counted 100 here but could be more or less) strategizes in a Gungi match. The Hunter x Hunter Wikipedia captions that picture with "Meruem thinking about thousands of strategies in Gungi" so I'll be using that estimate as a wanked proposal. I couldn't find the video for the Anime so if anyone can find it, it's greatly appreciated.

Doing simple math of multiplying 200 by 30, 100, and 1000, we can get the estimated times he thought about strategizes in total over his 200 minimum (So it could be more than 200) Gungi games. Respectively, that is 6000 (Manga), 20000 (Anime), and 200000 (Possible Wank Statement) Remember, Meruem's thought processes is becoming better which each game, so these mental thoughts will be even more effective. To put it bluntly, in any of those numbers, not one strategy lead the to the correct path to beat Komugi. I strongly believe this is all of Komugi's Nen. At best for Kiyotaka, this back and forth results in a Tie. I simply do not believe with the documentation shown that Kiyotaka would be able to surpass Komugi. Kiyotaka would be stuck in a perpetual loop of copying and surpassing Komugi, only to be countered and surpassed right back by Komugi, and then repeat.

Perfectionism Path: Since Kiyotaka's Adaptation doesn't work instantly, this round would give Kiyotaka the chance to put-into-practice his Information Analysis and knowledge he absorbed from Round 1. In short, he gets slammed. The Komugi Kiyotaka is playing currently is objectively better than the one he analyzed previously. Any move Kiyotaka makes gets dogged by a better Komugi with the gap in between Kiyotaka and Komugi becoming bigger and bigger. Even if it takes a shorter time for Kiyotaka to make improvements, it'd go right back to the scenario I argued in Immediate Adaptation Path where Kiyotaka would always adapting to the Komugi of the previous turn while the Komugi of the current turn is far higher than the Komugi of the previous. I believe this Path would result in another Winning Round for Komugi just because of the immediate skill difference between Kiyotaka and Komugi, even if Kiyotaka makes up for it later into the Gungi match, he would have already made mistakes in his previous turns that would allow Komugi to capitalize on.

Downtime 2​

Again, Komugi uses this downtime to record her movements in Round 2 in her book.

Round 3​

Immediate Adaptation Path: Same thing happens as the previous round in this path, with myself leaning more towards a Tie. Komugi would simply just get better with each turn. The following rounds after this would make the match Inconclusive.

Perfectionism Path: Now, at this point, the same scenario in Round 1 of Immediate Adaptation Path would happen in this round. Kiyotaka would be basically instantly copying and surpassing Komugi while Komugi would passively become uncannily better than her previous variant. Which is why I will argue again that this round results in a Win.

The difference between Immediate Adaptation Round 1 versus it's Round 2 and 3 counterparts is that Round 1 Kiyotaka wouldn't have enough information about Gungi and Komugi's strategizes to force a stalement, whereas the Round 2 and 3 Kiyotakas has the previous knowledge of Round 1 Kiyotaka to make-up for the consistent skill-cliffing Komugi is inflicting on him.

1 - Koji's info analysis is glance based and his adaptability is instant

2 - Koji would copy and improve the original user but both of them have AD sooo meh

3 - Meruem doesn't hold a candle to Koji's IQ, Tactics nor Strategy

Edit: Technically, Since you gave Koji 1 day of prep time, Wouldn't he have adapted to her already? Since he can watch her playstyle? Or did i misunderstand how it works?

Last edited:
1 - Koji's info analysis is glance based and his adaptability is instant
Noted

2 - Koji would copy and improve the original user but both of them have AD sooo meh
Komugi basically scales to herself because she's becoming better than her previous self with each turn.

3 - Meruem doesn't hold a candle to Koji's IQ, Tactics nor Strategy
🤷‍♂️. Nothing much I can argue then. I found the video for Meruem's "imagining thousands of moves"

Edit: Technically, Since you gave Koji 1 day of prep time, Wouldn't he have adapted to her already? Since he can watch her playstyle? Or did i misunderstand how it works?
The Preparation Time is for Kiyotaka to practice Gungi. If he just walks in with the basics he's getting slammed. The downtime though can be used to watch Komugi's playstyle if it's In-Character for Komugi to play Gungi as a hobby too and Kiyotaka to just sit and watch or something. Though, she looks to just sit around and do nothing with her free time.

Back