• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mihawk CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminiteable

He/Him
Introduction:
The purpose of this thread is to revise Mihawk's profile, specifically his scaling. Currently he scales to Vista and potentially "far higher", this "far higher" was already accepted as being stronger than Shanks (Accepted on this thread here). This structure for his scaling is arbitrary and the wording "potentially" is inaccurate considering the vast amount of evidence for Mihawk being stronger than Shanks.

Information Analysis Addition:
Mihawk on his Vivre Card states this "Not only can he discern a person's talent with a sword, he can also see the true strength of those that would stand before him" this is shown in chapter 50 when he sees Zoro and mentions he can discern their abilitiy to use a sword with just a glance.
(Source)

Scaling him Stronger than Shanks:
Put blatantly his title shouldn't be treated as "potentially" considering there's no potential or likeliness to be talked about; in the story and out of it he's only ever been referred to as "The World's Strongest Swordsman" and even "The World's Most Powerful Swordsman" this only refers to his strength plain and simple, and this isn't just a title given by character statements it's literally in his info box. And unlike Kaido where Oda was willing to add speculation "he's known as" Oda never does this for Mihawk, blatantly telling you the title isn't based on rumor.
(
Source)

To further prove that Mihawk is the strongest swordsman I will show the databook statements; "He rules atop the throne of the world's strongest" stating him as the world's strongest in the databooks, "Even now he reigns supreme as the world's strongest in name and actuality, an exceptional master swordsman" name and actuality here is used to blatantly call it a fact. This alongside the manga material is fact that he's the strongest swordsman.

(Source)

Now to prove that Shanks is a swordsman and that it is Odas's intentions to have Mihawk stronger than him; starting with the manga once again, in the same info box where it states Whitebeard as "the strongest pirate" and Mihawk "The most powerful swordsman" Shanks is included on that same page, yet both Whitebeard and Mihawk still were given their power levels as they were despite Shanks being both a pirate and swordsman. Shanks throughout the entire story has only ever used a sword, he's never in canon used anything else. His two greatest feats against the strongest admiral and the strongest pirate he used his sword.
Ev5k4gXXcAQQctu

Now the Databooks, starting off with the vivre cards and specifcially Mihawks: his vivre card states this "He trained relentlessly for many years challenging more and more powerful foes until he had no more. He then joined the warlords" this is also followed by "Although hawk-eyes strikes fear into all who follow the way of the sword, he looks forward to the future, the day when he will meet a swordmaster that surpasses his rival Red-Hair" and the dates even confirm that the no more worthy foes includes shanks "Ruthlessly competes with Red-Hair > Joins the Seven Warlords" Shanks is a "Swordmaster" and Mihawk no longer views him as a worthy foe & is waiting for someone stronger than him.
(Source: 1 2 3)

Another Databook Statement says this about Shanks: "Shanks was once as powerful as the world's best swordsman (Mihawk)" this states that Shanks used to be as strong as Mihawk but no longer is that the case.
EmavQHMW8AEA5Mm

Potential Counter Arguments:
"Shanks isn't a swordsman so the title doesn't include him"
Despite not only being stated a "Top Class Swordsman" in Databook Red & In Novel Zoro being one of the Swordsmen being mentioned as contenders for the world's strongest swordsman, there's also the fact that the only way he's ever fought in the manga has been with a sword.

(Source: 1 2 3)

"They haven't fought in 12 years and Shanks became a Yonko"

• Why they didn't fight; Shanks blatantly lost his arm, Mihawk clearly can stroll up to Shanks whenever he wants (as shown in chapter 97) and could have fought Shanks but deemed him no longer worthy, this can be assumed true as we're told and shown Mihawk has the ability to discern a person's true strength and their talent with a blade, If Shanks was stronger even without an arm (as we've seen he can still combat top tiers with just one arm) then Mihawk would see no reason not to fight him, but he doesn't.
  • Him becoming a Yonko; becoming a Yonko isn't purely a strength status as it's been shown in the story (and even elaborated further in the ace novels) that to become a yonko you need influence, land, large powerful crews etc and like the name implies to be an emperor you need to rule like one, so Shanks becoming a yonko isn't actually an accurate way of determining who's stronger between Shanks and Mihawk.

"Oda asks in the sbs how Shanks actually would fight"
The statement on how he fights is rhetorical in that it’s just a reference to the topic of discussion which is swords/swordsmanship., this isn't proof that Shanks isn't a swordsman.
(Source)

"The databooks are unreliable etc"

Oda himself has referenced the databooks several times as reliable sources in his SBS, we even currently use them on the profiles so using databook info shouldn't be an issue. The Vivre Card in particular is reliable since any incorrect data it has will be corrected not only one the One Piece website but also in new releases of them cards.
(Source: 1 2)

"Mihawk's words in chapter 553"

Based on the viz translations many have interpreted Mihawk's words in this chapter to say he's far weaker than Whitebeard, however the Viz translations leave out words in Mihawk's japanese text that wouldn't imply this at all; "the real/true distance between that man and us looks close/rather small" this implies Mihawk believes there isn't that much of a difference in "real/true" distance between him and Whitebeard. Not that it would matter since Whitebeard is stronger than Shanks and thus isn't even relevant to the discussion.

"Mihawk was stopped by Jozu and Vista"

• Jozu; Mihawk's sword slash was stopped by Jozu in Diamond form, this isn't actually an antifeat for Mihawk for two reasons, first of all Jozu is incredibly durable with his diamond fruit and has unparalled toughness, we also know the strength of diamond is as strong as seastone which Big Mom wasn't able to break out off. There's also the fact that Mihawk with that slash wasn't intending to cut through diamond; for high level swordsman they only cut what they intend to (See Mr. 1 vs Zoro) and this was even proven with Mihawk when initially Mihawk failed to cut through Mr. 1 because Mihawk wasn't intending to cut through steel.
  • Vista; Mihawk famously holds back.
(Source: 1 2 3 4)

"Mihawk clashed evenly with Crocodile"

This was anime-only, in the manga Mihawk blocked Crocodile's sneak attack; a reminder that everytime Crocodile has attacked someone during the war it was a sneak attack.
(Source: 1 2 3 4 5)

"Mihawk wasn't included in Kaido's thoughts during chapter 1001 but Shanks was"

Firstly this is a character statement meaning it's not a completely reliable source of information; Kaido hasn't fought every single person in the verse and as far as we know he's never even met Mihawk. Kaido says "There are only a scant few capable of fighting me" and then looks to Luffy and says "How high will your ceiling go" this is in response to his earlier comment saying "What happened after I destroyed him in Kuri" he's commenting on Luffy's growth and potential and how he could reach the height of those who are capable of fighting toe-to-toe against him; to signify this characters we know have fought to some degree against Kaido appear behind Luffy. However, this doesn't mean only those five are capable of fighting Kaido since many characters who are capable of fighting Kaido were left out such as Big Mom, Garp, Sengoku and Shikki.

Conclusion:
Mihawk as such should be listed stronger than Shanks and I guess anyone else who applies under the category of swordsman (not counting characters who are dead or their prime selves). The Profiles changes would include adding Extrasensory Perception to his profile and his statistics would look like this:

Attack Potency: At least Large Mountain level, likely higher (He's the Strongest Swordsman in the world in both name and actuality, he's currently waiting for a worthy foe who surpasses Shanks)

Striking Strength: At least Large Mountain Class, likely higher

Durability:
At least Large Mountain level, likely higher (Got through the Paramount war without a scratch to show for it despite clashing with several of Whitebeard’s commanders, including Crocodile)

Last edited:
Oda himself has referenced the databooks several times as reliable sources in his SBS, we even currently use them on the profiles so using databook info shouldn't be an issue. The Vivre Card in particular is reliable since any incorrect data it has will be corrected not only one the One Piece website but also in new releases of them cards.
@ZoroNotZolo Very reliable.

From what I’ve just read, the OP has plenty of evidence, with his sources being backed up by links and quotes. I see nothing wrong with Mihawk being scaled above Shanks as of right now. Really good observation about Mihawk being able to assess the strength of his opponent with a glance, I honestly had forgotten about that.

Anyway, I don't know if this will be much looked into since OP God tiers will be getting a revision, which I believe may include Mihawk.

That revision will mostly concern their statistics, and maybe some other characters' scaling. This thread is solely for Mihawk's scaling, who's currently not scaled to the Top tiers of the verse, so I think this thread is still very relevant. This topic is especially controversial and contentious, so handling it in a separate thread is actually the smartest solution imo. Otherwise it might take away from the other relevant topics in the other CRT, and cause derailment.

That revision will mostly concern their statistics, and maybe some other characters' scaling. This thread is solely for Mihawk, who's currently not scaled to the Top tiers of the verse, so I think this thread is still very relevant. This topic is especially controversial and contentious, so handling it in a separate thread is actually the smartest solution imo. Otherwise it might take away from the other relevant topics in the other CRT, and cause derailment.
That’s fair.

Everything looks good with solid reasoning covering all the bases, as of right now this is the info we have so I agree with everything.

For anyone who believes Shanks is stronger thats fine, we still have yet to see alot from either of these guys so things may very well change in the future but for now this is legit.

His Kenbunshoku might be the reason for this
Extrasensory Perception & Information Analysis Addition:
Mihawk on his Vivre Card states this "Not only can he discern a person's talent with a sword, he can also see the true strength of those that would stand before him" this is shown in chapter 50 when he sees Zoro and mentions he can discern their abilitiy to use a sword with just a glance, but is also shown again against Whitebeard and Luffy in the Paramount War.
(Source)

While i do believe shanks became stronger than Mihawk during his ascension to yonko, there is no current evidence that says otherwise unfortunately, so i agree as well.
Just like how the manga showed us how Kaido views Shanks as one of the greats alongside Wb, Roger and co, i feel like future evidence will portray shanks’s superiority over Mihawk in other areas besides swordsmanship. Especially with Oda promising to give him the spotlight in the near future.

Very well the information Analysis/Extrasensory Addition's description will just be added to Mihawk's Observation Haki's description in the techniques section.

I don’t like the idea of Mihawk being stronger than Shanks, but it’s blatantly obvious that’s what the truth is via all the evidence in the OP

So yeah, I agree with the OP, still feels weird that there is a pirate stronger than the Yonko just hanging out

Oda really doesn't like having the top tiers fight lol.

Heck, we're about to see Roger do more in combat than Shanks has, and he's been dead for years!

Old whitebeard most definitely is not superior to shanks who is stated by Kaido to be strong enough to challenge him
Shanks also clashed with whitebeard when he went to meet him

Old whitebeard most definitely is not superior to shanks who is stated by Kaido to be strong enough to challenge him
Shanks also clashed with whitebeard when he went to meet him
Old Whitebeard is already accepted as the strongest of the Yonko on the profiles, this isn't the place to debate this. Although since you brought it up I now have a reason to post this:

Whitebeard was put on a pedestal by pirates, marines, and as well as other yonko even when he had one foot in the grave.

"I could've defeated Shanks,Kaido and EVEN Whitebeard".- big Mom

Old Whitebeard is already accepted as the strongest of the Yonko on the profiles, this isn't the place to debate this. Although since you brought it up I now have a reason to post this:

The databook wouldn’t be superior canon to the manga also that’s just what people thought of him because of his past which was insane also shanks clashed with him

This isn't the place for a Whitebeard debate, but if you're going to make a claim that this databook contradicts "superior canon" material then provide evidence.

This isn't the place for a Whitebeard debate, but if you're going to make a claim that this databook contradicts "superior canon" material then provide evidence.
Kaido stated 5 people who were the people who could fight him Mihawk was not there Shanks was
Shanks clashed with whitebeard when he went to his ship
calling shanks a swordsmen because he uses a sword would mean you would include whitebeard as a swordsman which it’s clear Mihawk is not stronger then him

Kaido stated 5 people who were the people who could fight him Mihawk was not there Shanks was
Shanks clashed with whitebeard when he went to his ship
calling shanks a swordsmen because he uses a sword would mean you would include whitebeard as a swordsman which it’s clear Mihawk is not stronger then him
Try reading the CRT before commenting... Whitebeard doesn't use a sword he uses a bisento (before you try it, it's the 12 supreme grade blades not swords).
"Mihawk wasn't included in Kaido's thoughts during chapter 1001 but Shanks was"
Firstly this is a character statement meaning it's not a completely reliable source of information; Kaido hasn't fought every single person in the verse and as far as we know he's never even met Mihawk. Kaido says "There are only a scant few capable of fighting me" and then looks to Luffy and says "How high will your ceiling go" this is in response to his earlier comment saying "What happened after I destroyed him in Kuri" he's commenting on Luffy's growth and potential and how he could reach the height of those who are capable of fighting toe-to-toe against him; to signify this characters we know have fought to some degree against Kaido appear behind Luffy. However, this doesn't mean only those five are capable of fighting Kaido since many characters who are capable of fighting Kaido were left out such as Big Mom, Garp, Sengoku and Shikki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back