• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mew Upgrade (?)

Starting this out by saying this would scale to absolutely no one but Mew itself. Not even Mewtwo.

But this is more a question rather than a 100% certainty. On Ditto's page, it's tier is currently using this listed reasoning:

"Unknown. Varies depending on who it transform into."

We allow Ditto to have a varied tier when using it's transformations, so why is this not the case for Mew then? Ditto is literally just a bootleg Mew with inferior transformation hax, something we even accept having on Ditto's page:

"However, the ceiling tier of Ditto should limit to the tier of Mew is 5-B, which is stated to be the original species of Ditto."

Ditto is based off of Mew.

Ignore what's crossed out, my points have changed. Even without Ditto being a bootleg Mew, Mew's transformation hax and the efficiency of it is no lower than Dittos, better if anything. After all, Mew's transformation abilities have none of the pre-established limits the Ditto line has (difficulity copying based off memory, unable to change their faces, laughter ending the transformation, etc.). And in the first episode of the new SS anime, Mew itself can even become a Ditto on a whim if it wants to , proving it has the DNA to out-do Ditto in copying.

If Ditto is allowed to have it's transformations be given a varied tier, there's no reason why Mew can't have it either. The only difference between the two is Mew has known feats for itself, and that alone doesn't negate its transformations being allowed to have tiering. We are an indexing site first and foremost after all.

Lavtop said:
If his max tier is arleady set at 5B then isn't pretty useless adding this thing?
Mew's transformations doesn't have a ceiling tier like Ditto. Ditto has that because it's inferior to Mew's transformations, and Mew is regularly 5-B. So Ditto obviously can't exceed power beyond the strength of his original species.

Yeah, I agree with this. The only difference would having 5-B instead of Unknown, but the Varies thing looks accurate.

IDK If 5-B would be Mew's celing tier for transformations. Arceus and the god tiers (barring maybe Darkrai and Cresselia) are the only mon's DNA Mew doesn't have access to, and for obvious reasons.

Barring Mega Mewtwo, if Mew has any of the 4-B legendaries DNA, I think his celing tier should be 4-B.

Has mew ever been proven to transform into stuff higher than it though? If not then it's pointless since the transformations would just be weaker.

Is there proof of this though? Did such a statement get released after new pokemon were added?

Also you'd think if it could transform to 4-Bs, it would have against mewtwo

Proof of what? The DNA statement or that Ditto is a dollar store version of Mew?

And given that Mew vs Mewtwo was the first actual real appaerance for legendaries, they wouldnt have had Mew transform into anything that hadn't existed in-series yet.

The former, and that it would apply to things introduced later.

And since they didn't exist then, why are you assuming that now that they exist they retroactively apply to the old mew statement?

Just a minute... Why is this "Ditto is a clone of Mew" thing in the profile ? Even when the staff of Detective Pikachu talked about this, they didn't confirm anything.

Not only that, but even when Game Informer asked GF about this whole theory, the answer was:

There is a rumor that in the original Pokémon games, versions Red and Blue, that the Pokémon Ditto was a failed attempt at cloning a Mew. I was wondering if you could speak to this, to whether or not it's true.

Masuda: That's the first time I have ever hear that rumor actually.

Is that your only answer?

Masuda: In terms of how Pokémon are designed, they are each their own unique living being. The unique thing about Ditto is that it's a Pokémon that can change forms, but each Pokémon we create with its own unique element, so we just make sure that they are all individual life forms of their own.

Executor N0 said:
Just a minute... Why is this "Ditto is a clone of Mew" thing in the profile ? Even when the staff of Detective Pikachu talked about this, they didn't confirm anything.
Well from what I was able to gather on my own so far, Ditto in Pokemon Yellow is apparently stated in one of the journal entries to have been created in Pokemon Mansion (the same place where Mew was studied and Mewtwo was created). It's supported by Ditto being only found in both Pokemon Mansion and Cerulean Cave (the latter where Mewtwo is located).

In addition to this, Mew itself also has Ditto's DNA. It transforms into one in the first episode of the current anime . That would further support the idea of Mew being the original species of Ditto, and even then, it at least proves Mew's transformations aren't inferior to Ditto's if nothing else.

Where ? I never heard of these "Yellow entries", in fact I think that the entries never changed in meaning in any of their versions.

And no, Ditto was only available on the Pokemon Mansion in the Yellow version and later remakes

Anyway, none of this really say that "Ditto is related to Mew and Mewtwo cloning process". It's simply a lot of coincidences that lead to the creation of a lot of fan theories that "makes sense", but was immediately discarded by the GF itself.

Anyway, this is mostly unrelated to the main topic of this thread, I'll simply create another one to deal with this.

Thats why I said "apparently" since I cant access the game to find out for myself. And obviously when I said "is only available here" I meant at the time of Pokemon Yellow, barring remakes.

Anyway, Masuda saying that doesnt neccessarily discard this since he was speaking about designs rather than actual origin. And even then, how would Mew be able to have Ditto's DNA to become one itself if it didn't, well, precede Ditto?

New obviously preceded Ditto, but there's no evidence as to whether Ditto is actually a clone other than speculation, even all the evidence you provided is just enough for a fan theory.

It's still just a theory made by fans and I just made reference to it to remove any relationship between Ditto and Mew because of "genetics because Ditto is a clone of Mew".

About the topic, If Ditto has a variant tier, I have no problem with Mew having it too.

Fair enough then I guess? It doesn't really change much of the topic I started here anyway so I guess it can be saved for Executor's thread.

Either way, the point still stands. Whether a failed clone or not, Mew has superior transformation hax to Dittos, and as I just posted, Mew can even become Ditto at any time. If Ditto is allowed to have a varying tier via transform, there's absolutely no reason Mew can't either.

Now, what should be the "celing tier" for Mew?

The only DNA we know Mew definitely doesn't possess is the god tiers (Darkrai and Cresselia maybe exceptions, but even then, sounds sketchy). So from me, I reiterate that 4-B could be the limit since Mew should have DNA from amongst all the 4-B legendaries that aren't ultra beasts.

Okay but why are we saying that the one statement from much earlier on retroactively applies to anyone who's introduced

Ah right, forgot to address that. Sorry about that Wok.

Well, after Mew vs Mewtwo happened, we have seen that Mew has been perfectly capable of transforming into Pokemon that matched up to the current pokemon of the region it appeared in. For instance, in the movie Lucario and the mystery of Mew (a gen 3 movie), Mew was shown to revert from the forms of several gen 2 and 3 pokemon, some that include Treecko, Tailow, Pichu, Aipom, Mime Jr, Aipom and even Ho-Oh at the beginning of the movie.

And in the first episode of the Sword and Shield anime, Mew transformed into several other pokemon. Besides Ditto of all things, it became a Gengar, a Shuckle, and a Lapras.

So it should be pretty clear that Mew now is proven to have DNA beyond the scope of Gen 1.

The ancestor and all DNA statements have shown up in the Pokédex starting with Gen II up to Gen VIII. Though they always say "it's believed" rather than "it is"

Also, since Mew was primarily found in South America rather than all over the world it most likely became extant after the continents were formed and put into there current locations, so it should be predated by Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Regigigas.

The other Regis were made by Regigigas and aren't biological, so their DNA couldn't be contained.

There isn't a Sword & Shield anime to begin with. But yeah, Mew has shown to be able to transform into Pokémon that clearly aren't Gen 1 ones.

Blahblah9755 said:
The ancestor and all DNA statements have shown up in the Pokédex starting with Gen II up to Gen VIII. Though they always say "it's believed" rather than "it is"
No, Mew's DNA dex statements exist in every gen sans 7. And "believe" is really just the way pokemon tends to confirm information about legendaries. Whenever its "according to legend" or anything like that, it's taken to be true.

Besides, Oak reiterated the DNA statement again in the first episode of the new anime when Mew reappeared.

Sounds fair, though if they're conspicuously absent in gen 7 or something I guess don't use those.

What needs to be done is giving Mew every Pokémon move because it's said over and over again that it can use them all. Barring stuff like Judgement and Psystrike and Crush Grip and Precipice Blades, for obvious reasons.

Well they're absent in Gen 7 since Mew doesn't appear in Gen 7 at all besides one cameo apperance in the sun and moon anime when Ash went to Kanto for a class trip with Kukui.

Besides, I think we can all agree that none of the Gen 7 specific legendaries would fall under Mew's DNA anyway since 95% of them don't originate from the same world as Mew. No more than Deoxys does.

The real cal howard said:
What needs to be done is giving Mew every Pokémon move because it's said over and over again that it can use them all. Barring stuff like Judgement and Psystrike and Crush Grip and Precipice Blades, for obvious reasons.
This should have it's own thread again to get better attention.

Mew has no existing dex entries in Gen 7 so the Tapus shouldnt be included.

4-Bs like Zygarde, Yveltal, Xerneas and the Swords of Justice on the other hand....

Zygarde, Yveltal, and Xerneas is another group that has to have existed before Mew by necessity, since Mew would have to have come into existence after Yveltal's last cocoon phase.

Also, for Zygarde in particular having its DNA wouldn't necessarily get it super far, since even just cells alone have that DNA.

Swords of Justice seem like a good group to use.

Yveltal supposedly absorbs the life energy of every living thing when it enters its cocoon phase, which would mean that if Mew predated Yveltal they would have been wiped out by its last cocoon phase.

Back