• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Samus Returns, she absorbs energy just for even slightly damaging enemies.

Well, either way, Electro Barrier can still protect her while time is stopped. And Precognition, she demonstrated some uses of it in Other M, albeit it was nerfed via PIS in that game. And her precognition scales to the Chozo. There's quite a bit of in depth lore that explains Chozo being able to see the future from years away.

There doesn't seem to be a tell tale sign for when Mega Man will use the time stop. Unless she's told the pattern Mega Man will wear, which he has multiples of. Once she does figure out what exact pattern it is, then I guess she'll know when to switch on her lightning armor. And then he uses the other time stop. Though they each work differently, the best version being from Flash Man. It would keep Samus on her toes.

Once she does know when to use her phase drift though, Mega Man will have a delay, but still be able to activate it almost instantly. I don't know how large the delay would be though. But again, Mega Man has multiple different forms of time manipulation. Ranging from Time slow to time stop. I think they'd be even in this regard and time manipulation will really do nothing for the two.

Samus never really uses Precognition a lot then. Metroid Prime got her Phazon suit, Dark Samus ambushed her (multiple times), even Adam shooting her (PIS)... Like seriously, what the hell Samus?

As for the specific move, SenseMove, it's really reserved for dodging rather than blocking.

So can Samus absorb energy projectiles or not? Some of you are saying different things.

If she can, then they're even in this regard and it might just be an inconclusive match.

If she can't, Mega Man has at least one edge.

She's going to know what his equipment is and what they do, so once she gets the intel, she'll try to finish the fight ASAP.

Samus actually uses her Precognition quite often in the Manga.

she gets the intel, but would she know when he's going to use an ability? Either he stays his ordinary colors the whole match, which means no tell tale signs, or he changes colors, which are a tell tale sign but he has mulitple of them and some being the same color.

She is bound to be caught off guard either way. Not enough to lose then and there, but enough to not let Mega Man lose.

Scaling Samus precognition to of the Chozos would make it inapplicable on combat don't you think?

The Chozos can see the future from years away, that doesn't seems combat applicable.

And besides, her precog was never a decisive factor in any of her relevant fights anyway.

From years away isn't for combat, but she still has combat applicable precognition. SomebodyData should know, but she knows her opponents every move before her opponent makes it. And she can basically react to all of it Ultra Instanct style. I think it was in Samus & Joey, but it's been a while since I last read it. SD should explain in better detail.

Samus has always had multiple deciding factors; and it's her extremely haxed arm cannon that's usually her decisive win. Especially if with her stellar AoE. Speaking of which, she could just freeze the sun and take away Mega Man's power source.

Using her precog in that specific manga is not the same as using her precog in the games or anything like them. That manga doesn't seem to be canon as it's never been said to be canon or not.

As for that specific boss fight, if it was just for that fight and especially for the phazon trilogy, why has she never done that again? Seems rather useful and an interesting thing to revist. She did something similar in Prime 1, but that was because of the Phazon suit. I don't think this really means she can absorb every projectile. Especially if it's way bigger than projectiles she absorbed in Prime 2.

Freezing the sun would kill possibly a lot of people. I don't think Samus would just freeze a sun. But say she does, Mega Man won't stop functioning immediately. He'd have enough energy to last him until the end of the fight. That is if there is an end. Seems more like a cheap victory to me. But I digress.

Since when have people being nearby have ever stopped Samus from finishing her job? She nukes the place with a stellar range Ice beam, and she blasts him to oblivion.

Samus & Joey is canon, Other M makes countless references to S&J. It's been discussed multiple times and might need to be an added discussion rule if it gets brought up again.

And Samus doesn't have a problem given her suit. Also, in her universe, Earth is already in a Post-Apocalyptic stage.

Mega Man is resistant to AZ. One of Mega Man's ice attacks, also AZ, would do more damage to her than it would do to him. That's if it even hits her, which I doubt.

And Samus does care if people are nearby. Always have. Always will. Mangas (if we're counting Samus and Joey I guess...) and games have always shown this.

SBA means that they are fignting in New York, Central Park.

Like, several people will die with the amount of missed projectiles....

This might be an important factor.

Wait, what exact references in Other M? Also we haven't stated what setting this is. Also when was it said that Earth is in a post apocalytic stage?

If we're using Varia Suit/Gravity suit, I doubt she's going to be able to absorb anything.

And Samus still cares for life on planets. She hasn't techincally destroyed any planets, besides Sr388, by her own hands. I doubt she'll start now. (That's assuming theyre is life on this earth.)

She also destroyed Dark Aether. And the Samus & Joey references comes from the "Any Objections Lady?" followed by thumbs down. There's other stuff, that SD knows. Anyway, why are we derailing the thread with side stuff?

Well it's cause it helps us know what exact abilities Samus has and how much she relies on them. Also how she will fight Mega Man.

Dark Aether is literally a creation of Phazon and is, well, evil. The Ing are beings that live to destroy. Of course Samus would destroy them. I meant really planets that have innocent life on them.

As for the thumbs down thing, are we really sure Other M didn't just take that thing as inspiration? Just cause it has that doesn't mean it's canon.

I agree with Newendigo with the setting being a factor. Mega Man has fought in the city before. And he is reluctant to fight there. In the origin issue for Samus something similar happens as well if I remember correctly.

They're curious to know exactly how good Samus's precognition is combat wise. And they also seem curious to know where some of her more iconic Precognition feats are. Drayco also seems to want more clearance as to why we consider Samus & Joey canon.

For Samus's Pre-cog: Short-term pre-cog comes from Sensemove in Other M I believe, which is akin to a limited form of Ultra Instinct (He can dodge several attacks by moving at several directions; Samus can only dodge a few attacks in one direction, though it is in quick secession).

She does have more detailed long-term pre-cog, though it only happened in Metroid Prime 3, and it might not be combat applicable.

As for the canon, it varied from things to her ship and the Other M thing mentioned above (+Concentration comes from S&J), but now is more of secondary support for her feats.

@SomebodyData So would the short pre-cog activate her lightning shield if we apply aeion abilities, or does it just activate her Sensemove? If not then Mega Man's time stop will be handy. If so, well then time manipulation in this match does nothing. (Assuming Samus knows the tell tale signs of when Mega Man will use these abilities).

I feel like S&J still doesn't seem totally canon. The writers could have just adapted things into Other M. They did that a lot. This could be just one of the many things that went into the melting pot.

Either way, I may be taking away from this wrongly, are you basically saying Samus's precogition is not gonna be a defining factor in this fight?

It would just activate Sensemove, though she would probably activate Electric Armor on her own anyways.

Its possible, and they have done that before. However, that is headcanon unless there is evidence detailing so.

Eh, it'll help in the beginning of the fight, which given their hax, if they try to kill each other quickly then yes. If not, then it should help a lot, but wouldn't be too deciding.

Alright, so at first if Mega Man decides to use Time Stop, Samus won't realize what happens and will be hit with whatever Mega Man throws at her. After that she may realize what's up until he uses his other versions of time manipulation. If either decides to slow time, the other will do the same and they'll still be fighting at average speed.

Which is why I said specifically "totally canon." That way I'm not saying "I refuse to believe that it's a thing."

I don't really see Samus using it a lot within the games, but if she has it, alright. One more move for Samus.

As for energy redirection, is Samus able to do that at all times or is it just a one time thing she did in Prime 2?

Yes, but from what I've seen, he doesn't necessarily start with time stop.

ok.

I think she did it again in Prime 3, but idk. Though she should be able to do it whenever she wants.

What have you seen that shows he doesn't use Time stop from the start? Not to mention I didn't state he would do it from the start. Just that when he does use it Samus isn't gonna expect it.

Samus hasn't really redirected energy from anyone after or before the time in Prime 2 (as far as I know), so is this really something she can do whenever she wants?

I mean, if he doesn't start with it, then it falls to whoever uses their hax first.

Yes?... Why wouldn't she be able to do it whenever she wants?

Samus's time manipulation only slows down time, so when she uses this Mega Man will counter with his own. Which varies more than Samus' own time manipulation. In each respective series, it's really just up to the player when to use it. So it doesn't mean one will use it way before the other, and it won't mean that one will almost not use it at all.

I'm just confused that Samus can redirect energy in this one instance, but never use that function again. Like, there are multiple moments it could've been used. She just doesn't use it canonically speaking after Prime 2.

I'm not saying its better or worse than Samus' time manip, just its unlikely that it would be brought up first.

Its never stated in canon if she uses the ability again after Prime 2.

Me saying Mega Man has a better time manipulation wasn't due to what you said. I was just stating what may happen when the fighters use it. What I don't understand is WHY is it unlikely for Mega Man to use it in the beginning. It can be used literally at any point, but why is it unlikely to be used in the beginning?

As for the second part, that's exactly my point. Samus is never shown in canon to use t again. Which makes me believe it was a one time thing. But I could be wrong. Which is why I'm asking for that clarification.

Because he has an entire arsenal to choose from?

The only cutscenes (As in, way to determine if she uses it in canon again) after Prime 2 that even had fights were generally with enemies that don't use energy attacks, with the exception of Other M having 2 space pirate fights (though I don't think we actually see Samus fight them directly in the fight), so it would appear she just didn't have to use it.

So does Samus. So it's not like she'll pull out her time manipulation first either I guess.

Meh, whatever. It seems redirecting attacks won't be doing much to either of the two. I say this is a close match. They seem to parallel each other im every regard besides time manipulation. After almost exhausting every option, he'd eventually decide to use one of many time manipulations. This throws Samus off guard, and due to either never changing colors (the indication if he's going to use time manipulation on the downside he has multiple colors that will cause Samus to believe he's going for some other move or a time move) or staying blue (eliminating any inidcation of when he's manipulating time), he will be able to take advantage of that. This may be enough to let Mega Man get a win. It's a real close match though.

But it could be inconclusive.

Well, given she has a more limited aresnal, it would be more likely to be pulled off first. Not to mention Scan Visor can warn her about MM's time manip, which is why she would go ahead with that.

Like I said earlier, if Mega Man does change colors, then Samus will know if he may use time manip. But on the downside, she could mistake one of his colors as the time manip or think he's using something else. A lot of Mega Man's abilities have the same colors.

On the other hand, if he never does changes colors when he ises abilities (Smash style which I think is unlikely to be the case), then Samus will never know when he's using time manipulation.

I guess I can understand how Samus will go ahead with using her Phase Drift earlier than Mega Man, but he can always just start using his time manipulation moves as soon as he sees her running around like Quick Man.

Really it depends on who loses their ammunition first. But I'm not sure if we're giving them infinite ammo or not since it's never been stated.

Scan Visor or Pre-Cog would help.

Well it would probably be too late by then.

Well Samus does have the ability to regain her ammo thanks to Other M.

DraycoMakargo said:
Samus's time manipulation only slows down time, so when she uses this Mega Man will counter with his own. Which varies more than Samus' own time manipulation. In each respective series, it's really just up to the player when to use it. So it doesn't mean one will use it way before the other, and it won't mean that one will almost not use it at all.
It is unclear how others perceive Samus during Phase Drift. In game, there's a purple filter to show that Phase Drift is active. However, other creatures might not experience anything different and just see Samus suddenly speed up. Whether or not Mega Man knows or perceives that Samus uses a time manipulation ability could determine whether or not he uses his Time Stop. The fact that Mega Man could cancel out Samus' Phase Drift with his Time Stop could cause Samus to use the Phase Shift as a last resort or when Mega Man's Time Stop has run out of ammo. If I remember correctly, once the Time Stop is used it can't be turned off until it's empty, unless that was for one game and Mega Man has gotten a Time Stop more than once.

Hopefully two time manipulation abilities being active at the same time doesn't permanently damage something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back