• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Medaka Box General Discussion

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
Welp, thought I'd make this to see if anyone else cared about the verse

I suppose for the first topic of discussion, there is the matter of improving the quality of the pages, which, at the moment, are less than satisfactory to say the least.

I whipped up an unfinished re-do of Misogi's page: here so if anyone has any opinions feel free to say something.

Here is the original for reference

I don't believe Kumagawa's AP should just be unknown since he can somewhat keep up with Medaka
(also finished the manga recently so it's nice to see a general discussion thread.)

If Misogi can keep up wth Medaka in a hand-to-hand combat, shouldn't he scale to her?
well Bookmaker weakened her to the same level as Misogi. She resisted being turned into a minus, but I don't believe she resisted the stat reduction effects. Also, ignoring this for the sake of argumentation, Misogi being relative to Kurokami Phantom Medaka would probably be an outlier given that he doesn't have any other feats on that level (at least without hax)
I don't believe Kumagawa's AP should just be unknown since he can somewhat keep up with Medaka
what makes you say that

well Bookmaker weakened her to the same level as Misogi. She resisted being turned into a minus, but I don't believe she resisted the stat reduction effects. Also, ignoring this for the sake of argumentation, Misogi being relative to Kurokami Phantom Medaka would probably be an outlier given that he doesn't have any other feats on that level (at least without hax)
But in the link that you put in the profile shown that he was keeping up wth Medaka before she get hitted by the Bookmaker

Hax ajimu addtion

I rewrote Medaka Box's discussion rule to source it better.
  • Do not try to upgrade Ajimu Najimi or Hanten Shiranui from Medaka Box to unreasonable degrees. Given that they come from a metafictional parody manga, that mostly revolves around deconstructing, circumventing, dissecting, and exaggerating plot conveniences, and does not remotely make sense from a power-scaling perspective, their statistics are very hard to gauge. For the same reasons, also avoid using them in serious match-up threads. See here for an example.
This discussion rule was added in https://vsbattles.com/threads/possible-iihiko-shishime-upgrade.43412/ at https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Discussion_Rules?diff=508988&oldid=492647 and was modified in https://vsbattles.com/profile-posts/6040/ at https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Discussion_Rules?diff=7126895&oldid=7124961. I'll link the thread.
@Antvasima @Agnaa Should I apply the following rewrite?
*Do not try to upgrade [[Ajimu Najimi]] and [[Hanten Shiranui]] to unreasonably extreme degrees or [[vsforum:threads/43297|use them]] in serious versus threads, as they originate in a metafictional parody manga revolving around deconstructing, circumventing, dissecting, and exaggerating plot conveniences that [[vsforum:threads/43412|doesn't remotely make sense]] from a [[powerscaling]] perspective.

I don't mind. Ant's the main one who cares about that.
That is probably fine, yes.
I have applied my changes.

I don't think it would be best to make Medaka Box matches as of now, a lot of the verse (if not all of it) is going through an overhaul.

I kinda wanted to ask here why Medaka's entire plot armor thing isn't considered "Plot Manipulation", because I don't believe it's just some "Supernatural Luck", plus some of the arguments against it are, iffy at best in my opinion (I'm looking at the entire "Ajimu is delusional" thing)
how are the upgrades faring...
I kinda paused on that, will probably get back to it soon. (what one Homestuck revision does to a person)

I kinda wanted to ask here why Medaka's entire plot armor thing isn't considered "Plot Manipulation", because I don't believe it's just some "Supernatural Luck", plus some of the arguments against it are, iffy at best in my opinion (I'm looking at the entire "Ajimu is delusional" thing)
Because it's described in terms of luck, and makes sense as an elaboration on her extraordinary luck as established in other places.

Because it's described in terms of luck, and makes sense as an elaboration on her extraordinary luck as established in other places.
Ah, so just an extension of Medaka's luck pretty much, I don't exactly agree with that since Ajimu describes it as plot armor in a sense and considering the metafictional nature of Medaka Box... Yeah... But I guess Supernatural Luck is fine (I guess I hate how in threads it's also called luck that "borders" on plot manip, which idk), just thought I'd ask (well and also because I wanted to bring back plot manip, but I thought I'd ask about it more before doing that)

Ajimu describes it as plot armour, and then instantly says "that's just a metaphor". Later she goes on describe its effects as coincidences, leading Naze to describe it as the whims of fate. Zenkichi apparently described its effects as luck or some miracle, and Ajimu says that even while main characters/heroes have it, it's just them being really lucky.

All of this sorta stuff makes me think that the luck description is better. It's luck that might exist for meta reasons. But it's not, like, passively rewriting the story.

For this, I’d agree if Ajimu didn’t refer to Medaka as the “There’s-No-Way-She’d-Lose-Because-She’s-The-Hero sort of person.” straight after that, I’m not entirely convinced it’s just some metaphor.

Everything else I understand, but I’d like to make a comment about this one:
For this one, maybe it’s just the translation, but it seems more like Ajimu described Devil Style (which I think that’s what she’s talking about here) as something that just degrades “The Hero”, making it more like the hero in question was just lucky. (I am probably very wrong on that, but that’s kinda what I got out of it)

Okay. I thought that it might receive a continuation or somesuch.

Spongebob Sad GIFs | Tenor

I have begun to read NisiOisiN's new manga, "Cipher Academy". Does anybody else have the impression that the "villain girl" in the early chapters is intended to be intended to be a mean version of Medaka? She looks similar and is also extremely competent in any case.

I have begun to read NisiOisiN's new manga, "Cipher Academy". Does anybody else have the impression that the "villain girl" in the early chapters is intended to be intended to be a mean version of Medaka? She looks similar and is also extremely competent in any case.
I haven’t read Cipher Academy yet, only NisiOisiN work that caught my interest as of now was Medaka Box. May I see what the character in question looks like?

Hm? Huge revisions were planned for the series no?
You know I'm kinda curious about what revisions are planned?

Though I did notice a Kinda impressive speed feat. Though it might be deemed an outlier with all the current stuff.
That being Medaka blitzing Aijmu's finger gun move that could blow up stars with it's speed. This is after it's "fired."

Ie She's pointing it, goes "Bang" to a white screen and next page Medaka diverted her finger gun.
Though again could be an outlier.

You know I'm kinda curious about what revisions are planned?

Though I did notice a Kinda impressive speed feat. Though it might be deemed an outlier with all the current stuff.
That being Medaka blitzing Aijmu's finger gun move that could blow up stars with it's speed. This is after it's "fired."

Ie She's pointing it, goes "Bang" to a white screen and next page Medaka diverted her finger gun.
Though again could be an outlier.
Thus would get MFTL+, so... yeah Outlier

Thus would get MFTL+, so... yeah Outlier
I am aware it'd be mftl+, I'm just not certain it specifically is an outlier considering how up in the air most of medaka boxes stats are and medaka already being considered "casually" near light speed (like 1-5% light speed?). Hence why i mentioned it here for other's to judge.

Back