• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MCU tiers scaling around Thanos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our scaling for those that fought Thanos is weird. With the just the power stone we know he is at least 5-A, yet anybody that fights him with the stone is only made comparable to his base form, which is 6-C.

Let’s start from most powerful to weakest.

-Captain Marvel
Only prevented Thanos from closing his fist with one hand, can at best be argued to be as strong as base Thanos but got knocked out the movie by a power stone punch. Base Thanos was overpowering her pre-time skip. She wasn’t in super saiyan mode, I don’t know if there’s a difference since she channeled some energy.
(1:00)

-Thor
Is only 6-C with stormbreaker. Decapitated a weaker Thanos who didn’t even resist, and was able to overpower all the stones being fired at once, cutting into Thanos. However post-timeskip he got trashed by base Thanos while having both mjolnir and stormbreaker. There should be a key separating the timeskips because this is wildly inconsistent.

-Iron Man
Could harm Thanos with 4 stones (he only used one though but absorbing them affects his body so idk), his shields could block a power stone beam but took the same power stone punch that Captain Marvel did and continued to fight. Got GG’d by his own armor.

-Strange
It took Thanos a power stone beam and a power stone punch (same one that hit Marvel and Tony) to destroy Strange’s mirror dimension portal. When Strange used clones Thanos needed the power stone + soul stone to break free. His shields could easily block physical attacks from base Thanos (same shields that held up for some time against Dormammu). His cape alone almost replicated Captain Marvel’s feat. Thanos was unable to use the IG due to the crimson bands of cyttorak restraining him.

-Wanda
Would’ve killed base Thanos, resisted Thanos with stones

It seems Thor, Wanda and Strange via hax are the only ones clearly above base Thanos, where Iron Man and Captain Marvel are weaker than base Thanos but can get the opportunity to do slight damage if the situation calls for it.

Bonus:
Why isn’t the time stone 2-C for affecting Dormammu who is stated to absorb realities and dimensions by bringing time into the dark dimension?

Last edited:
Our scaling for those that fought Thanos is weird. With the just the power stone we know he is at least 5-A, yet anybody that fights him with the stone is only made comparable to his base form, which is 6-C.
No, as it says on Thanos profile.
the Infinity Gauntlet Varies depending on size (Gamora stated the Power Stone to have a variable power based on the size of the target. Despite greater feats, his use of the gauntlet could match and overpower, but not one-shot, opposition on around his same physical level.
It's only 5-A against celestial bodies, not against any of the people Thanos fought, this is why they pretty much scale to his physical stats and not the Power Stone's maximum power.

The time stone never affected Dormammu in the same way an attack does. It just brought time into a timeless area
"Significantly affect" is here used as an umbrella term for feats that don't involve direct creation or destruction but are comparable to them in power, such as warping and distorting the entirety of the structure in question, sustaining its existence with one's own, etc.

That’s what Tier 2 stuff says. Significantly affected is something that would be associated with affecting a timeless dimension/being who can absorb entire realities.

No, as it says on Thanos profile.

It's only 5-A against celestial bodies, not against any of the people Thanos fought, this is why they pretty much scale to his physical stats and not the Power Stone's maximum power.
That’s weird, there’s no logical reason for it only applying to celestial bodies other than “it would boost a lot of characters and we don’t want that”

The PowerStone's power is influenced by the size of the target; bigger the target, the bigger the surge
Planetary targets obviously are going to get a bigger blasts then Tony is
Let’s start from most powerful to weakest.

-Captain Marvel
Only prevented Thanos from closing his fist with one hand, can at best be argued to be as strong as base Thanos but got knocked out the movie by a power stone punch. Base Thanos was overpowering her pre-time skip. She wasn’t in super saiyan mode, I don’t know if there’s a difference since she channeled some energy.

-Thor
Is only 6-C with stormbreaker. Decapitated a weaker Thanos who didn’t even resist, and was able to overpower all the stones being fired at once, cutting into Thanos.

Yep he's 6-C because Stormbreaker easily slices through Thanos (I believe Thanos upscales from Endgame Thor)
However post-timeskip he got trashed by base Thanos while having both mjolnir and stormbreaker.
Again we meant the weapon specifically; Thor himself is still somewhat weaker even after his growing in strength
There should be a key separating the timeskips because this is wildly inconsistent, plus also why doesn’t he scale to the full IG Thanos key if we see he overpowers it?
Stormbreaker is heavily implied to counter the Gauntlet in general; not by overpowering it's full might
-Iron Man
Could harm Thanos with 4 stones (he only used one though but absorbing them affects his body so idk), his shields could block a power stone beam but took the same power stone punch that Captain Marvel did and continued to fight. Got GG’d by his own armor.
The Power Stone is Variable
-Strange
It took Thanos a power stone beam and a power stone punch (same one that hit Marvel and Tony) to destroy Strange’s mirror dimension portal. When Strange used clones Thanos needed the power stone + soul stone to break free. His shields could easily block physical attacks from base Thanos (same shields that held up for some time against Dormammu). His cape alone almost replicated Captain Marvel’s feat. Thanos was unable to use the IG due to the crimson bands of cyttorak restraining him.
This I'm fine with; I think we can scale Strange to Thanos' strength on his own
-Wanda
Would’ve killed base Thanos, resisted Thanos with stones
In fairness Thanos' shield held up fairly easily; he did struggle to move tho
Bonus:
Why isn’t the time stone 2-C for affecting Dormammu who is stated to absorb realities and dimensions by bringing time into the dark dimension?
Hax based

It's stated that its power varies depending on the size of the target so like.... Yeah.

This I'm fine with; I think we can scale Strange to Thanos' strength on his own

In fairness Thanos' shield held up fairly easily; he did struggle to move tho

Hax based
The stone is literally time though it brought time to a timeless dimension. If Dormammu embodies the dark dimension then it should be at least as strong for being able to affect him.

Because that is a hax feat, not AP

Decapitated a weaker Thanos who didn’t even resist, and was able to overpower all the stones being fired at once, cutting into Thanos.
Wasn't that Storm breaker during majority of the work? We never see Thor himself overpower Thanos

Tho I feel like Giant Man should be placed in 6-C or be given At least High 7-A but let's not get into that

But since we're on the topic of Thanos scaling, why us Hulk stated as equal to Thanos in AP? Yet he's listed as High 7-A. This is even weirder considering Iron Man did more damage to Thanos than Hulk did, yet Iron Man himself isn't 6-C. I'd say the WoG that States Hulk = Thanos is strength should be removed as it's pretty contradictory to what we see in the film

Tho I feel like Giant Man should be placed in 6-C or be given At least High 7-A but let's not get into that

But since we're on the topic of Thanos scaling, why us Hulk stated as equal to Thanos in AP? Yet he's listed as High 7-A. This is even weirder considering Iron Man did more damage to Thanos than Hulk did, yet Iron Man himself isn't 6-C. I'd say the WoG that States Hulk = Thanos is strength should be removed as it's pretty contradictory to what we see in the film
I can respect that

Thanos doesn't just upscale from Thor, he has his own Island level feat of surviving the Snap which generated 5 gigatons of TNT as seen in the movie itself. Shows so on Thanos's profile.

Because that is a hax feat, not AP
I mean he’d still have 2-C time manipulation potency with the time stone. Or would his potency be equal to or greater to the range of his magic ?

But Thanos did call the time stone Strange’s “greatest weapon that he never used”, and Strange’s regular shields could briefly hold against Dormammu therefore making his shields 2-C which the time stone scales above anyway so it all works out

Also as far as current 6-C scaling goes:

Odin > Surtur with eternal flame > Hela > (I have Strange with hax here) Thanos > Thor with weapons >Captain Marvel > anyone else in this tier

Odin > Surtur with eternal flame > Hela > (I have Strange with hax here) Thanos > Thor with weapons >Captain Marvel > anyone else in this tier
Wanda is already blatantly stronger than Thanos and has the upmost hax she scales above strange and is stated to be so. I'm neutral on upgrading strange because I'd like to see exactly what is proposed in terms of scaling and wording

I thought she was stated to be stronger than the ancient one?
It's stated she's stronger than the sorcerer supreme but either way whether you take that as the ancient one or strange she's shown to be stronger than Thanos and the amount of hax and abilities she has is greater than both so it all lines up either way

Wanda is already blatantly stronger than Thanos and has the upmost hax she scales above strange and is stated to be so. I'm neutral on upgrading strange because I'd like to see exactly what is proposed in terms of scaling and wording
Forgot to include Wanda in the list but she’s above Strange and below Hela.

Ehhhh.

Prime Odin > Surtur with Eternal Flame >>> Hela > Mjonir > Thanos

Plus...

Current Wanda >> Endgame/Infinity War Wanda > Thanos
Captain Marvel > Thanos
Stormbreaker > Mjonir > Thanos
Whoever else is 6-C >= Thanos

Yep this id exactly how things are
Ehhhh.

Prime Odin > Surtur with Eternal Flame >>> Hela > Mjonir > Thanos

Plus...

Current Wanda >> Endgame/Infinity War Wanda > Thanos
Captain Marvel > Thanos
Stormbreaker > Mjonir > Thanos
Whoever else is 6-C >= Thanos

-Captain Marvel

• Forcefully bends his leg
  • Trades a few blows with him before getting grabbed and tossed to the side
  • Comes back and restrains his hand
  • Begins blatantly overpowering him
  • Thanos tries headbutting her in desperation only for her to not even flinch
  • Clearly pushes him back on one knee out of pure strength alone
  • With no other options Thanos resorts to a powerstone blast which launches her away from his vicinity

Yeah, no. She's stronger than base Thanos.

I wouldn't mind upgrading Strange to 6-C with Magic, but the question is would it scale to the Ancient One, and if so, would it scale to other Masters of the Mystic Arts as well?

wouldn't mind upgrading Strange to 6-C with Magic, but the question is would it scale to the Ancient One, and if so, would it scale to other Masters of the Mystic Arts as well?
These are my same thoughts on the matter↓↓↓
I'm neutral on upgrading strange because I'd like to see exactly what is proposed in terms of scaling and wording
To be honest I would be fine with keeping the same wording already on his profile since its noted he got stronger already and that he fought and defended against thanos with 4 stones.

As for scaling to other sorcerers I think it's fine to assume Strange is in his own league as unless he hasn't taken the title of sorcerer supreme and while there is a 2018 article and interview where Joe Russo referred to strange as the sorcerer supreme I don't believe that title to still be the upheld or rather that it wasn't actually given to strange seriously as it wasn't actually addressed formally and he's never referred to such on screen. So by which case I suppose that would make the ancient one scale

Last edited:
Actually It's worth noting infinity war strange was listed as high 7-A pre MCU downgrades and was never upgraded again post Upgrades again so this actually isn't up for much contention he should move up and the ancient one possibly could but there's no reason for the other sorcerers to scale since we know strange got amped in between

• Forcefully bends his leg
  • Trades a few blows with him before getting grabbed and tossed to the side
  • Comes back and restrains his hand
  • Begins blatantly overpowering him
  • Thanos tries headbutting her in desperation only for her to not even flinch
  • Clearly pushes him back on one knee out of pure strength alone
  • With no other options Thanos resorts to a powerstone blast which launches her away from his vicinity

Yeah, no. She's stronger than base Thanos.

I wouldn't mind upgrading Strange to 6-C with Magic, but the question is would it scale to the Ancient One, and if so, would it scale to other Masters of the Mystic Arts as well?

Pre-timeskip she could barely stop Thanos from moving his arm, and he’s already permanently weakened since his body was decimated by destroying the stones. Also Thanos already fought Cap and Thor with the respective god weapons, and Iron Man, while Captain Marvel was fresh. She still performed demonstrably worse than Iron Man in IW.

Pre-timeskip she could barely stop Thanos from moving his arm, and he’s already permanently weakened since his body was decimated by destroying the stones. Also Thanos already fought Cap and Thor with the respective god weapons, and Iron Man, while Captain Marvel was fresh. She still performed demonstrably worse than Iron Man in IW.
How was she "barely stopping Thanos"? She was restraining his neck and just kicked out her leg to stop him from using his arm. Its just a problem of Captain Marvel not having enough limbs. Thanos having already fought Cap and Thor before Marvel is irrelevant since Thanos was showing no clear signs of injury or slowing down when fighting Marvel.

I don't know how you can say she preformed worse than Iron Man in IW when all Tony did to Thanos was shove him into a wall and give him a small cut. After the infamous "All that for a drop of blood," quote Thanos proceeded to easily take control of the rest of the fight, doing pretty clear damage to Tony's armor with every blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back