• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

may I have proof that Mega Man is bounded by the three laws of robotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megamangohan

CHAD mango
Joke Battles
Administrator
I do not know where in canon where it is proven that Mega Man cannot act outside the three laws of robotics, as stated as one of his weaknesses

Yeah I definitely do not think Asimov's rules permit a robot to start using weapons on a car as a person is driving, even if they technically didn't end up hurting the person. Also if incapacitating Megaman was as simply as telling him to stop fighting than I'm pretty sure Wily would've done that by now. So far it seems like he isn't really bound by these rules.

Reppuzan said:
Megaman jumped out of the way and let tha rubble land on Wily without trying to get it off of him though (at least not before standing there doing nothing for a few seconds then walking as slowly as possible). That kinda goes against the part of not allowing a human to come to harm through inaction. As well as not preserving your existence if it allows a human to come to harm.

Just in case you need a translation:

"Utsu no ka? Washi o utsu no ka? Kono washi o?! Roboto no omae ga ningen no kono washi o!"

Attack? You would attack me? Me?! You're a robot and I'm a human!

@Ryu

Hmm... that's a pretty good point.

Then again, Blues was designed to be the first independent robot. So it's not hard to believe that Rock would have similar programming.

Well, If this debunks proof that Mega Man is bounded by these laws, I would like to have this weakness removed from the page.

Megaman was most likely going to kill Wily had he not been reminded of that "rule" and blatantly violated the parts of allowing Wily to come into harm through inaction and through preservation of his own life. On top of the fact that he pretty much violates the rule each time by attacking Wily's vehicals and Wily not being able to simply tell Megaman to stop fighting. I think all we have proof of is that he might loosely follow some parts of Rule 1.

I think he has the choise to disobey the rule, but chooses not to. I would even compare it to Zero at the end of Mega Man 04, but that's a completly differently issue altogether.

"Dr. Wily once claimed that Megaman can't harm a human, prompting Megaman to spare him. This is likely a reference to Asimov's 3 Rules of Robots. However since he's violated these rules many times before including in that very scene (allowing harm through inaction), and that he would've killed Wily if he wasn't told that, it's most likely he only loosely follows this rule out of choice. And not by obligation."

Maybe something like this but worded a bit better would work.

@Ryu

That would probably be best in a note rather than in the weakness section. I'd be perfectly fine with removing the weakness at this point.

Well there is another law of robotics that would actually allow Megaman to hurt wily the zeroth law and it holds prioirty above the three other laws "A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm." Basically since Willy is a threat To mankind as a whole he could have easily Let Willy be harmed due to said law. Not really an argument To keep the laws of robotics as a weakness Just an intresting fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back