• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Cosmology Rework Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
This is a fairly unique proposal that admittedly, I myself haven't worked out fully, and as such I am turning this to Supporters, in order to get more informed opinions. This isn't scan-oriented because like, it isn't a one-and-done proposal, and for fairness I don't want it to be.

I'll do this step by step for you to follow, beginning with...

The Problem​

Biggest issue we can see from Marvel Cosmology is 1. Relevance and 2. Definition Inconsistency, and to go through both of them:
  1. Relevance is mostly a subjective issue, which is, when random off-hand statements and whatnot horrendously break scaling. An example of this would be the 6.6D Dark Dimension, which we don't acknowledge on the wiki yet, but absolutely wreck the Low 1-C listings, since it implies the dimensions refer to Fractal Dimensions (otherwise no dimension can have decimal values, exactly), and thus are irrelevant to scaling. This harms Dormammu's own origin as a Faultine as well, when the latter is CLEARLY a very important part of the character as opposed to the former offhand statement. At the end of the day, we WANT more apparent and referenced aspects of a character on the page, and it getting drowned by a single panel or page harms that immensely.
  2. Definition Inconsistency is another, as if you don't know, Marvel retcons stats of certain characters ALOT, making some far stronger (Abstracts being major ones) or far weaker (Folks like Beyonder and even The One Above All, to an extent). This isn't a "MODERN MARVEL SCUM" thing either, and has been happening since the 80s, when Galactus and the Celestials kept crawling in power since their debut. Stats alone is ignorable, afterall it's basic Marvel inconsistencies, but when entire character definitions change, then we have an issue, since at higher tier that means losing tiers, straight up
Both of these I feel are very agreeable issues, and something all comics scalers have come across, only point of debate is if it relevantly comes up, which considering how many ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL aspects of cosmology chains can very well be referenced once in a single non-event issue, never to be talked about again, I think they're very relevant.

Proposed Solution​

Cosmology split... with steps.

Essentially, Marvel has a REALLY good case for in-canon Cosmology splits, since the One Above All and the House of Ideas have been known to be able to change character tiers to a cosmological scale (Example being Nyx in Avengers: No Road Home), even able to create new cosmological beings from scratch (The One Below All), but most importantly, through basic insinuation and even basic dialogue, the One Above All is the representation of the writer, and every character in Marvel's narrative are just that, characters, subject to his whim. This implies the inconsistencies may very well be in-canon result of the One Above All's tampering towards his narrative, whether it's explicit or not.

With this, I bring you my core proposal:
20210814_115006.jpg
Discord Vs. Debating at its finest, folks.

Cross-scaling between two cosmologies can be done if they VERY EXPLICITLY refer to structures in the prior cosmologues, or refer to the comic. TOAA giveth high cosmological definition, TOAA may as well taketh it away beyond that one singular issue so you can't stack different cosmologies on top of each other to max out results.

Also keep in mind each cosmology is subject to wiki key standards, i.e. they either have to be VERY COMMONLY REFFERED in the comics, or be from an event. No one-off writers' isolated comic, sorry.

As benefit of doubt, by the way, we'll consider that a single writer's own comics are canon to each other, it's a very basic assumption to make.

What this allows​

Every cosmological definition, said singularly and by a long-term writer, is listable by wiki standard as it is considered a key. Be it DeMatteis, Hickman, Ewing or Cates, whatever their dialogue implies, will be represented on the files. Accomodation is essentially the primary focus of this proposal, we're able to null claims of outliers.

What this doesn't allow​

Cosmology stacking, which is, taking aspects of a writer's cosmology, and applying it to another, even though both can be made unaware of each other. You CAN scale cosmologies if the writers explicitly refers to structures present in another's cosmology, but acting like someone kicking Beyonder's ass present day means they're Low 1-A off of Secret Wars stuff, is absurd.

Step 2 if this is accepted​

I would urge the supporters to make Cosmology blogs for Marvel with the above standards so we can move closer to application.

I am hopeful you will be acknowledging of the situations present in Marvel that leads us to propose this, since this is in my opinion, a fairly infallible proposal, and even results in upgrades for many characters

I obviously agree with this approach, but think that it is best to collect knowledgeable members who are willing to help out with this effort, create a PM thread with all of them present, and start doing research. Although maybe that is what you have in mind?

I obviously agree with this approach, but think that it is best to collect knowledgeable members who are willing to help out with this effort, create a PM thread with all of them present, and start doing research. Although maybe that is what you have in mind?
It comes later, I want input on it as a proposal alone, as it is a very foreign concept to how folks have considered Cosmology Listing to be

Since we already discussed this long ago, definitely see this as a much better approach. I am willing to tackle some of the cosmologies - maybe Starlin for starters - but not sure how soon because time is limited

So it's finally happening!
I'm not a knowledgeable member, but I heard of the problems, and I believe splitting different cosmology incarnations into different keys is a good idea, so I can agree with the OP.

Interesting…if we took this extremely seriously we’d have to separate other cosmologies for other verses like DC and other things. As for this specific thread, I’m sort of in agreement. But a quick question is when the cosmology blog will be made

We are working on DC Comics as well, but have progressed further with the research for that.

Interesting…if we took this extremely seriously we’d have to separate other cosmologies for other verses like DC and other things.
What DC does is DC's business, what I know is Marvel has canonical reasoning for this, and this is demonstratively provable.

Like, you have to recognise stuff stated in the OP is objective, I'm not going "oh we HAVE to do this for meta reasoning", this is basic verse mechanics, ignoring which leads to listing fuckups stated above

Last edited:
What DC does is DC's business, what I know is Marvel has canonical reasoning for this, and this is demonstratively provable.

Like, you have to recognise stuff stated in the OP is objective, I'm not going "oh we HAVE to do this for meta reasoning", this is basic verse mechanics, ignoring which leads to listing fuckups stated above
Funny how people see Dc and marvel as 1 franchise. Anyways you're the only knowledgeable marvel member I know here so everything seems okay i guess.

So are any members here knowledgeable enough to help Impress with research for this project?

I agree with the proposal, it makes a lot of sense.

Not sure how much help I’ll be in this project though, since I’m fairly busy with verse-wide revisions for two other verses right now.

Shouldn't realms like over space and super flow scale above every cosmology?.
The superflow is just depicted as the realm in which the abstracts reside and in the current iteration of the cosmology is far from being at the top. However for overspace which iirc is the dimension of manifestations has quit literally not been used/written out over these past few years so it might’ve been really high up in the classic iteration of the cosmology I can’t say the same about its placement in the current one. As it’s function is pretty much passed on to another realm aka the superflow.

I more or less agree with the proposal as well.

I assume we're mainly gonna focus in the cosmology as it is now, and not how it might've been in past decades.

Also we need to take into consideration the seventh and either incarnation and separate them somehow. In the seventh, Hickman's superflow is a 4d or 5d thing, but in Ewing's eight cosmology, it's one of the highest levels of reality.

Shouldn't realms like over space and super flow scale above every cosmology?
Nah, Overspace and Superflow are still a part of “reality”, The One Above All and the House of Ideas are above reality itself.

In general being above “reality” is a VERY BASIC form of Cosmology that everyone can perform, TOAA and HoI are confirmed multiple times to be above these concepts, only thing not under them is the Max Definition Omniverse, who I think no one scales to

You need to be VERY DEFINITIVELY above TOAA and House of Ideas to be above ”every cosmology”, anything lower and you’re affected by them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back