• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Comics Discussion Thread.

Antvasima said:
For the moment I think that catching Thor's hammer has to be treated as an outlier.
No its not since that hammer is not the one you know... Thor's classic hammer was destroyed and that's why Namor said that Thor is weaker.

Thor definitely seems weaker nowadays after losing Mjolnir, yes.

He has gone from being the Earth's first and strongest line of defence into a general butt-monkey. Yet another great character destroyed. Thanks Marvel.

Only read the classic runs. Walter Simonson, Dan Jurgens, and J.M. Straczynski had good Thor runs.

Antvasima said:
Dan Jurgens
Did I mention that the whole Aaron run of Thor is a discount Jurgens' run of King Thor? Because the whole Aaron run is a discount Jurgens' run of King Thor

King Thor? check

Time Travel? check

Unworthiness for Mjolnir? check

Warrior Three being reduced to fodders? check

A slayer of gods whose backstory is because of a bunch of jerkass gods? check, and this time edgier and less reasonable

A slayer of gods who hunts for gods because they are unworthy of their mortals' prayers? check, this time from being retconned

The only decent thing out of his Thor run was the Accursed Arc with Malekith, but Malekith spiralled further into a more annoying version of Classic Loki. Last Days of Midgard had the environmental messages as subtle as a hammer to the face with villains straight out of Captain Planet. Unworthy Thor overstayed its welcome. Female Thor was just... ugh. Apparently 55 years of Thor comicbook history, with all his sacrifices and childhood, don't mean jack to Jane Foster's oh so noble cause. Our beloved god-hero becomes a drunkard, (badly-drawn) shirtless man-baby who mopes nonstop about his identity being defined by his hammer.

@Revan

The new Hulk is stronger, but also seems to revert to Banner from enough sunlight. It is a massive weakness if I understood it correctly.

@Graf

Agreed. Virtually everything with modern Marvel is at best stale, tired, and rehashed, and at worst extremely slanted boring political propaganda engineered by Sana Amanat to give the movies subversive social causes to enforce, no matter how much it harms the comicbook industry itself.

Sadly that is most likely not going to happen. She has amassed support from plenty of people that she has hired to enforce her ideological agendas, and C.B. Cebulski is far too mentally weak to do anything about it.

My apologies. I am a very depressed and pessimistic person. It is a side effect of having very limited mental filters due to the autism.

Its fine.

For me Marvel is still my favorite verse but DC went from a clear number 2 to a 1b and may become 1a.

I love much of classic Marvel, but I hate what Sana Amanat has done with the company to further her agendas.

Yeah I agree with you there (though I do like some of the stuff from in the 2000s and earlier 2010s), my dads more caught up than I am but he only reads X-Men comics which he says are decent.

Well, there are plenty of excellent classic runs for you to check out, and Read Comics Online should have most of them available.

That works as well, and it gives money to the classic creators too, so it is more ethical.

Antvasima said:
Walter Simonson's Thor, John Byrne's Fantastic Four, the Byrne/Claremont X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Roger Stern's Spider-Man, Kurt Busiek's/George Perez's Avengers, Mark Waid's (I don't like him as a person, but he has written good comics) and Ed Brubaker's respective runs on Captain America, Christopher Priest's Black Panther, Peter David's/Dale Keown's Hulk, Fred Van Lente's Hercules, and Dan Slott's She-Hulk.
^ Here are some recommendations.

Not a single one, but I mentioned a few recommendations in my last post.

The Jack Kirby Fantastic Four and New Gods runs were very good.

The Michelinie/McFarlane run on Spider-Man was pretty good.

Steve Ditko seemed to have an admirably rational worldview, but I haven't read much from him.

Yeah Steve Ditko is more known for changing/ revolutionizing comics (especially due to some of the characters he made) rather than his actual comic runs but I agree with the others.

Back