• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Vs. Luigi: 2019 edition

Wait what will Intelligence really do In this battle I'm mean Mario's smart to and both are Gifted.

Kyleb79 said:
4 for Mario
5 for Luigi
Thanks for counting the votes, but can you please list the name of the users that voted in the respective section? (like how the OP is). This is to avoid confusion.

This is definitely a close match.

Both have their advantages, with Mario being stronger and more experienced and Luigi being faster and more intelligent. However, these advantages are very slight. Luigi knowing more about Mario isn't gonna help that much when Mario has no real exploitable weaknesses.

The only way that can be used as an argument is if you said Luigi wins through knowing Mario's fairly predictable fighting style. But the same can be said for Mario, only to a lesser extent.

Both also have some trump cards, with Mario being able to possess Luigi and Luigi being able to suck up Mario, which I think counts as BFR.

Though Luigi's method of victory is more likely to happen, as he doesn't need to do it twice (Because Mario has to hit Luigi twice with Cappy because of Luigi's cap) and he can suck in and fire back Cappy. It can also be argued that Luigi will more likely use the Poltergust, as he's used it in two games while Mario has only used Cappy in one game.

So while I think this is a very close match-up, I have to give it to Luigi.

Looking this over...I gotta vote Mario despite the grace, I think the argument for Luigi doesn't quite work out here.

Luigi's BFR is via the Poltergust, but most of the time the Poltergust only sucks up energy and ghosts, while getting jammed up with physical objects that don't fit in the nozzle (Smash is an exception there, but I'm not sure how much we're taking from Smash's final smashes compared to Luigi's Mansion). Luigi could still rebound something like Cappy, sure, but I don't think that's a BFR win when used on Mario.

Luigi's Negative Zone is dangerous, I admit that, but it's more of a debuffing option than a total blowout. And his Zone Speed isn't special, Mario has Zone Speed too, so that's not a major advantage.

But ontop of that, Mario seems to have more trump card abilities in this fight. He has the Star Powers since we treat him as the same Mario from Paper Mario, which gives him yet another time manipulation ability, a death manip, a durability negation, and a BFR of his own. And while it's a bit more questionable if they're 'power-ups' and he should bring them in this case, the Music Keys have some level of mind control and empathic manipulation.

Mario and Luigi share a telekinetic link, are so painfully close in nearly every stat, and are both well experienced and clever, and share a ton of the same powers and abilities...but I question Luigi's Poltergust option being a win-con, I completely think Zone Speed isn't useful here, and I think Mario's has more win-cons here with his expanded arsenal and list of powers that Luigi hasn't gotten from his lack of adventures in comparison.

I vote Mario more often than not, it seems he has more ways to win more often than Luigi does.

The Poltergust can also blow out air meaning it can blow Cappy away mid-flight, and Cappy doesn't work on enemies that are wearing hats anyway.

Luigi can also become intangible via the Power Flower to avoid Mario's Star Powers, and has access to Music Keys as well.

The music keys cancel out, but cappy being a double attack can still work for knocking Luigi's hat off. Luigi can try to fend it off, true, but I think that's still the most utility out of the Poltergust, blowing some attacks away. The BFR still doesn't seem like an option.

While that means the advantage of the Music Keys are out, intangibility isn't a total counter to Mario, since he too can become intangiable to comparitively avoid Luigi's own abilities and attempts to end the fight. And since they both only last so long, I think this still comes back down to Mario having more end-game options to go for the win-con.

He still has more time abilities, and has a whole extra arsenal of abilities Luigi doesn't have that all could easily be win-cons, and for pretty much everything else? He matches Luigi for ability wise. There's very little Luigi has that Mario doesn't have in some capacity too, and Mario's greater adventures have given him a larger arsenal with more options that can beat Luigi. And in nearly every other stat the advantages one way or the other are very slight, the brothers are extremely similar and comparable despite having minor differances.

I remain firm, this comes down to the abilities and arsenal, and Mario just seems to have more trump cards here to pull out for possible one-shot wins to tip things in his favor.

Just gonna over some the arguments for Luigi.

"Luigi is more intelligent."

I actually haven't seen anything to prove this. I see someone saying games like Luigi's Mansion has puzzles, but so do games like Paper Mario or Odyssey.

"Luigi isn't afraid anymore/he's only afraid of ghost."

False. We've seen Luigi be afraid not just from ghosts such as here or here.

"Luigi can give Mario a good succ."

Luigi can only suck things that are either ghosts or something really small. Characters like Toads cannot be sucked as shown in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

Anyways, Mario with high difficultly. This is mostly due to him having more experience and has actually fought Luigi (albeit a different personality.)

Mario has non-physical interaction in case Luigi turns intangible.

No one's arguing that it's impossible for Luigi to be scared, but Luigi has gotten over a large part of his cowardice over the years.

Mario FRA, this one can be counted as a vote

The votes seem consistantly neck and neck, and we've gone over 7 on both side.

Incon might be the only answer at this point.

I will say. I think Mario isn't really much more experienced if at all. From the looks. Mario is only older by likely a few minutes. Shown with how when they are babies. They look practically the same age. Mario is likely just the first born by not much. So I don't know if Mario would technically be more experienced. I'm not even sure where Mario is made to be more experienced comes from. I don't recall that ever being canonically said. Only that he is stronger

Buttersamuri said:
I will say. I think Mario isn't really much more experienced if at all. From the looks. Mario is only older by likely a few minutes. Shown with how when they are babies. They look practically the same age. Mario is likely just the first born by not much. So I don't know if Mario would technically be more experienced. I'm not even sure where Mario is made to be more experienced comes from. I don't recall that ever being canonically said. Only that he is stronger
But then again, Mario has been in more fights than Luigi. Whats Luigi been doing, you ask? Usually he just stays at Marios home and relaxes.

He doesn't usually do that. Very few games where he isn't playable and thus likely apart of the adventure. And while Mario has a few stand alone adventure games from Luigi. So does Luigi too.

Mario's actually existed longer than Luigi, giving him more stand-alone games/adventures/known experience

A number of games neglect Luigi or make it clear he's not part of the adventure (The Original Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, Odessy all make it clear Luigi's not doing much during that time)

Luigi's general cowardice implies he's unwilling on many of his adventures and isn't as likely to go on them as Mario (Aprehension in Luigi's Mansion, attempting to avoid the adventure in Superstar Saga)

At least one adventure is implied to be fake or not quite what it seems (Thousand Year Door, the main joke is that Luigi is lying about his own adventures, exagerating, or doesn't realize that his adventure isn't actually going as great as he seems to think it is)

And his appearance in Galaxy implies that, while attempting to help, he didn't actually make it very far on his own galactic adventures and needed Mario's help bailing him out before becoming a playable option.

From what we know and what we can observe, Mario appears to have the more reliable track record for actual experience. Not that it's a total tipping point, the brothers are extremely close in all regards despite my points, but it does seem to be more in Mario's favor overall.

To make it clear, I am in favor of an Incon though. I still favor Mario's side, but I don't think this debate is desisive,I think inconclusive is the only way to go for now.

Back