• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario vs Kirito

Jesus, this match has been done 5 times now and we still can't get to a resolution.

Mario's move depends on whatever the gimmick of the game is. In one Paper Mario game, the entire gimmick is Mario learning powers from stars, which he usually leads with in said game.

Such powers are Transmutation/BFR, Statistics Reduction, Sleep Manipulaton, Healing, Purification (Type 3), and Time Stop.

Wouldn't having so many leading moves just end up lowering the chances of using the right one? I doubt he can lead with all of them simultanously.

TheMonsterOfTheAbyss said:
Wouldn't having so many leading moves just end up lowering the chances of using the right one? I doubt he can lead with all of them simultanously.
Well tbf the player is usually the one controlling Mario and making the decisions xD

True, the player is a canon character as shown in Paper Mario. As I've said before, it's similar to an rpg character.

Kirito chooses freeze and Mario gets freezed and gets his life saped and put to sleep. Take into account, having his life sapped doesn't mean he is killed, due to the technique being made to not kill the opponent.

How does his ice manipulation work? Does it need to hit Mario? If so, passive damage nullification says nope and allows Mario to win. If it doesn't, Mario can easily just break free in less than a second. It's also arguable that he's resistance to it since in certain games, he can take attacks that freeze you without side effects. How long does it take for his life to get sapped? If it won't kill him, Kirito still wouldn't win just by this, he will need to attack him which can kill him. After that, Mario comes back and finishes it. He's also resistance to sleep manipulation. Let me just say how Mario wins again.

He can transmute, BFR, seal, make him fall asleep, gang up on him with duplication (a lot of clones mind you), and can slow down/stop time to make all of this an easy hit. If Kirito freezes him (which he arguably can't), Mario can either block it with damage nullification, stop time, or literally just use the Starman to just be unaffected by it and finish it. If Mario fails then that resurrection will just assist him.

Yes, but it is instant, so it doesn't have to travel. Doesn't Mario need to have the Guard Shell DX or the Battle Cards to do that? The life sap is pretty quick.

Kirito doesn't necessarily have to attack Mario to win because he would win via incap, not via death. His sleep manipulation resistance is only with Super Suit or Feeling Fine badge which I don't think he have it with him all the time. Also, it is Life Manipulation not Sleep Manipulation, I just described it as putting someone to sleep because I don't have a better way to word it.

If Mario decides to duplicate Kirito can freeze all of his clones.

Yes, he will need it, however his items aren't restricted.

However this will be very difficult when Mario can survive the hit Kirito needs to win. Mario can still freeze time, letting him do what move he needs to finish it. His Starman can literally just wahoo through Kirito's attacks if he attempts it again and finish it. Said items aren't restricted. My vote stays. Since Kirito's ice manipulation has to hit Mario, he simply survives the attack and beats him with the attacks I've listed above.

@Xmark No one has argued much about his other moves.

@Abyss Because from what people tell me, it hits your opponent. Meaning that hit will be nullified. I also didn't argue Mario can dodge him. Starman just outright negates his ice manipulation against Mario.

Mario doesn't have Starman at the beggining of the match, so the ice is not getting nulled. Mario doesn't have the means to initially resist the attack, he has the objects, yes, but he doesn't have them activated at the beggining of the match. Btw, the freeze just intantly appears, I don't know why it would be negated.

Your going to need some scans of Mario using it in TTYD.

Also, using it in two games out of literally hundreds is hardly in character.

Ionliosite said:
Mario doesn't have Starman at the beggining of the match, so the ice is not getting nulled. Mario doesn't have the means to initially resist the attack, he has the objects, yes, but he doesn't have them activated at the beggining of the match. Btw, the freeze just intantly appears, I don't know why it would be negated.
He doesn't need it at the beginning, he can use it later. Besides, he does start off using theither Starman in the NSMB games. If the freeze instantly appears, it's still not getting through his forcefields because again, it's passive.

@Smashor This argument isn't a good one. I've already talked about this several times. What Mario uses whatever depends on whatever the game focuses on. Mario isn't even limited to this. First example, Kirby Star Allies. The main focus of that game were the Friend Hearts. Kirby uses this ability through the whole game. Now look at the next game, Super Kirby Clash. He doesn't use it in that game. Does that mean he's not gonna use it because it was in one game? No. What Mario does in character is entirely up to what the game is about.

DatOneWeeb said:
@Smashor This argument isn't a good one. I've already talked about this several times. What Mario uses whatever depends on whatever the game focuses on. Mario isn't even limited to this. First example, Kirby Star Allies. The main focus of that game were the Friend Hearts. Kirby uses this ability through the whole game. Now look at the next game, Super Kirby Clash. He doesn't use it in that game. Does that mean he's not gonna use it because it was in one game? No. What Mario does in character is entirely up to what the game is about.
1. Super Kirby Clash is probably before Star Allies, since's it's a boarderline remake of Team Kirby Clash Deluxe (Which in of itself is more like a what-if, akin to the minigames)

2. "What Mario does in character is entirely up to what the game is about"

Let me put this in perspective:

A show runs for 115 seasons. The main character, in one season and one season only, uses a certain power. Then, they suddenly stop using it once the season is over. There's no explanation, no reasoning, there's not even a very large timeskip between seasons, they just stop. Would you consider the power an "In-Character" move for this protagonist?

No. No you wouldn't. Video games don't follow a completely different set of rules then everything else in fiction. Now stop wanking. I hate that Mario loses this as much as you do, but he does unless he's given optional equiptment.

Yeah. Smashor's right. Mario only jumps on people with the occasional spin. That's his primary means of attack and if that doesn't work then game over.

I didn't join whatever train. I placed my vote for previously specified reasons, which includes my implementation of the player.

I'm pretty sure the previously specified reasons are the ones put into question.

What are the reasons that you voted for Mario again?

Back