• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Optional Equipment revision (And one ability)

Because that's from mario and luigi paper jam not from paper also we just have to wait for @cal @dark or @dino to comment but as for not I think just adding the abilities in a new tabber called "RPG SERIES

Honestly most of this sounds like whatever the perfect antonym of favoritism is. Bullying, I guess? People really want to say SE is what Mario starts off with? Really? Sure, and in the meantime, remove Reinhard's spear because he didn't have that when he was a 20 year old Nazi back in the 30s.

Jesus man once again, that doesn't really help. Just make a proposal of how exactly his SE should look like with justifications (yes, justifications. SE can have that now just like powers).

People who downplay stuff sometimes doesn't say anything against legit evidence, and when they do they just get ignored. Most of the users here were just pointing out a minimum of what Mario should have anyway.

(Also, I suspect that we will uncomfortably disagree on some things here when finally & properly proposed, so that better happen sooner than later.)

@Cal

Do you think that any of Mario's current regular equipment should be moved to optional equipment?

Well, you can do so at any time by making your own CRT. You don't need to wait for this one to be over or something.

I checked through the current Mario page, and it seems fine as it is. The power-ups are listed separately already.

@Ant It only gives that impression. The Standard Equipment is misleading to what his Powers and Abilities say he can do in "Base". For example "Passive Resurrection (Via 1-Up Glove)".

I don't think there is anything solid to use to validate splitting the RPG series (of which there are three series, so even just splitting them from the rest of the franchse but yet clumping them together as opposed to further splitting them merely because they have the same genre seems kind a strange) from the rest of the series proper. In fact, if we look to one of things we used to validate Mario and Paper Mario being one and the same is a room in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga which lets us very well know that the Mario from that game has gone through Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Paper Mario. So the fact the we have more proof for Paltformer Mario and RPG Mario to be one and the same makes splitting the keys even weirder. It feels a bit like an excuse to use outliers or the like as now there are less feats to make it seem like an outlier.

As for power-ups, whilst I myself very well agree Power-Ups amp Mario, they seldom ever have any feats in their own right to grant them their own key. Stuff like Mega Mario plowing dow buildings/building size-constructs, Metal Mario providing an impressive speed boost to mow down obstacles and tanking a way worse situatio than base Mario are some occasions where Power-Ups show their worth, but compared to what Mario in base in capable of, you can see they don't really shine through in their own right... (Unless we resort to a certain power-up which I'm sure is way too controversial to consider). Generally, what I'm trying to say is there isn't enough substance for this to be its own fully fledged key.

So... tl;dr, the keys are fine as is, as splitting all three RPG series from the rest both seems shaky and baseless, and power-ups don't have enough substance.

To be fair on your first point, Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario are to the point that there's even a direct crossover game, and seven stars, technically, is a prequel to both if my understanding is correct. It's a tad more then being the ame genre i think.

Chariot190 said:
To be fair on your first point, Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario are to the point that there's even a direct crossover game, and seven stars, technically, is a prequel to both if my understanding is correct. It's a tad more then being the ame genre i think.
Good point. Whilst I do agree where Mario RPG lies as a prequel (if it does, to which it does, the truth to such claims, etc) is hard to quanitfy, I definitely see your point they should be related all the same. And I guess I did go into why Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi can be one and the same (albeit the crossover you cited did attempt to throw that idea out the window, haha). But this doesn't really negate what I'm saying, since sure, we have a little bit of proof to say them being split isn't so bad, but what makes this any better than the proof we have to say splitting the RPGs from the rest of the franchise is rather silly? I think if we're going to say "the three RPG series can be in the same key", we should also apply that logic to say "the RPG games can be in the same key as the other genres of games".

The real cal howard said:
They don't need keys at all. Almost all his platformer shit should be SE.
To what extent are you taking this? You've probably elaborated already, but I'm sure our views have been changing a lot in the face of new evidence, claims and points being brought up, so if you could give an updated list of what you think we could use, I would appreciate that (if it's not too much to ask)

I disagree with that notion. I don't think power ups people find in the wild should be SE if you can't just hold on to them to use whenever.

You actually kind of can in several games (SMB3, SMW, Every NSMB game, I'm probably forgetting several)

He holds on to em in the New games as well for what its worth.

In some games, he can actually hold them to use whenever. Other times, only hold them to use at specific times. Technically we could just apply that power to every Mario power up (say, he could hold a Boo Mushroom handy if we used SMW / SM3DW / NSMB / NSMB2 mechanics, or store one in his pocket if we use SMB3 / SMA4 / NSMBW / NSMBU mechanics, even though he couldn't do that in SMG itself), or we could at least say he's capable of carrying around a Cape Feather to use if the going gets tough (which would be completely valid, as he very well does that in SMW. In fact, more common ones like Super Mushrooms and Fire Flowers can be held in all such cases IIRC, and in SM3DW, he can hold up to four power-ups whilst using a fifth). Though, I definitely see your point, as he often times does just find them as opposed to say he has one prepared. (Also, I just recalled he and Luigi can hold on to Fire Flowers and Mega Mushrooms for use at any time in some Mario & Luigi games, if that helps at all).

As for assistants like FLUDD, Young Master Luma and Cappy, I'm at least happy to say Cappy being standard for now (as he does appear to be slowly becoming an aspect of Mario for now) is a good idea, but dunno what people think about the rest.

I think it's probably better to put as standard the ones that are constant through multiple games, since there's been situations where the other powers would have been helpful but were unavalible to just bring into the game which would indicate he doesn't just constantly keep them on him.

As for other stuff, I think hammers and cappy as SE are fine, no to fluud. The luma would only apply for the power star key but is fine there.

All RPG equipment should be optional. Mario does have ways of carrying around his RPG equipment, but it's technically via outside help (Stuffwell etc). Like Cal said, Mario can carry power ups around with him in platformer games, though only a few of those lets him carry more than one 'backup' powerup. Any powerup from a game where he can carry numerous items without outside help should probably be standard equipment.

Also worth mentioning that Mario has a few resistances that he's treated as having only due to RPG equipment. Stuff like Sleep Manipulation, Transmutation and Paralysis Inducement he's actually resisted without the aid of equipment, so those should be in his base key.

Then let me correct that; "Stuff that a character can be expected to have in most given scenarios".

He can always have a tennis racket on the Mario Tennis games, there can be 10 of them and it wouldn't be part of his standard equipment.

That's bias. Combat it's what we do with the characters, what part of "standard equipment" implies combat? None.

Our profiles are meant to index characters based on vs battles. If Princess Peach has her crown/tiara in every fight she had, that'd still be standard equipment. Similarly, if Mario had a tennis racket handy often, then that would also be standard equipment.

Sorry, I lost your original point. Are you disagreeing with my original comment?

Standard equipment should be what a character has access to throughout the entire game or sequels which mario has in his previous mario and luigi titles

Back