• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Optional Equipment revision (And one ability)

Samus specifically loses it. It's a different Link every time. Mega Man purposefully gets rid of his werapons as to not become too power hungry.

Mario left the hammer at home in almost every game. He probably has a little closet in his house with, like, five hammers at this point.

Here are the games where Mario has a hammer: Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Wrecking Crew, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Tennis (2 games), every Paper Mario game (5 games), and every Mario & Luigi game (5 games).

That's 19 games.

The "is a seperate sentient being" is a horrible argument, as Woki said Mario should still have Cappy for now.

Mario should always have the hammer not because he had it since his first games or all those games mentioned, but because he can make it appear out of seemingly nothing.

I predict some disagreements on what power-ups he should have so let's get on with it.

I agree with the above about hammers being standard equipment. Whilst generally power-ups are hard to place as standard equipment or not, I think at least saying the more commonly appearing ones should be seen as noteworthy enough for him to carry. He has carried them in numerous games such as SMB3/SMA4, the NSMB series and SM3DW, so it's not like he can't have them on hand, but I can see why people are less keen about, say, the Double Cherry or Vanish Cap, the more one-and-done power-ups of the franchise. Whilst it would be nice to say his RPG items are standard equipment, as he certainly takes them to a lot of battles during the evens of the game, I do agree that we might have to call into question how far we can take that.

For the likes of FLUDD, Cappy and Young Master Luma (dunno why no one mentioned him, he's the guy who grants Mario Star Spins and is just as much as any ally to Mario as the former two. We even mentioned Star Spins at one point too), I'm really unsure myself, so I'll just see how it plays out for them.

For standard equipment, basically anything that's reocurring, not one time things should be fine.

That means Fludd would have to go and Luma because Luma is actually no longer aprt of his equipment but fire flower, mushroom, superstar, tanooki, mini mushroom, giga mushroom, etc should be fine, even the new mario powerups like ice flower (galaxy too i guess). Hammer is one of his iconic items, original game, wrecking crew, paper mario, paper mario 2, super paper, sticker, color, mario & luigi 1,2,3,4,5, etc, it's definitly one of his mains. It only doesnt appear in the platfrming games, and that's because of gameplay, it's a game first and foremost but if it aint a platfirmer it's usually his main weapon.

I'd say anything that appears in more then two games and something he didnt explicitly lose should be fine, with exceptions being brand new items that havent gotten a chance to appear in more then one or two games. Although Cappy would be standard for the time being as that's Mario as of his latest.

Not really, it depends on the context. Just like that is insufficient.

If it appears in two RPGs, then no. I'd say it has to appear in more than two games from different spin-off series if their not from the platformers.

I've said they appeared in most Mario and luigi RPGs besides superstar saga and partners in time the rest of them appeared in the mario and luigi series which is more than two

So what are the conclusions here? Also, has Dino Ranger Black been informed about this thread?

Okay. Feel free to inform him then.

This feels like an unjust justification as this ignores all context Of Mario's starting points in his adventures.

Mario's grand adventures don't happen everyday so mario being constantly armed with weaponry wouldn't make sense especially since he plays sports, attends special events, and such.

In most cases there's a logical reason as to why Mario wouldn't be wearing his top equipment, for the mario and Luigi series (going from BIS to DT) mario and Luigi were invited to an island vacation. Paper Mario: invitation to peach's castle for a party Most new 2-D Mario games: Peach is just randomly kidnapped throughout an otherwise regular day while Mario's around her. Color splash: is the only games that shows mario carries a hammer with him and that's only because peach told him that there was trouble and that they were gonna investigate it.

Going by this logic, This means everything would be optional equipment absolutely nothing is standard. No power-ups, no weapons, no gear, nothing. All because Mario can't predict the random day something goes wrong, The only standard Equipment Mario would have going by this is plumbing tools as shown from the intro in 3D world. (This would also have to effect other characters with the same issues).

If you wanna go by number or games then the only standard Equipment Mario should have is sports gear, and specifically a hammer, tennis racquet and golf club that's about it and that just sounds ridiculous.

Other video game characters don't have this issue due to not having as many games/spin-offs, which is why I feel this isn't fair towards the Mario character in general.

That seems to be a good point.

I'm fine with anything that he hasnt explicitly lost or was one time, context does matter but if he uses it in multiple games and he didnt eventually lose it like Luma or Fludd (which both are very cleary arent standard, Fludd and Luma went back to their original owner/mother if i recall), chances are it is standard for him (hammers and badges are quite standard, they are in numerous games, just not the genric 2d platforming games) and we know he has a hammer space for power ups so that's a non issue as well.

@chariot Fludd was never returned to e.gad, mario regained him after the toads fixed him during the credits of sunshine. (His smash bros move-set is the only showcase that it's standard). Luma however does indeed return to Rosalina, however the spin move is still possibly in Mario move-kit as he could spin without aid of a Luma for certain power-ups during the end credits of galaxy 2.and he retains the ability to spin while in mid-air in the 2-D games.

Whether or not it was returned to E.Gadd he definitely doesnt have it anymore, Smash aint exactly a good reason to assume it's standard. Mario's never used it again nor have we ever seen it again, except in Warioware and Tennis, but neither were under Mario's possesion, Mario likely no longer has Fludd, especially given the fact that it does belong to E.Gadd but even if that wasnt the case, Fludd still wouldnt be standard.

Mario can spin with or without Luma yeah, he just doesnt have the special powers that Luma granted him.

Honestly, instead of deciding what is standard equipment, we should decide what isnt standard equipment. It'd be faster that way, especially as there's a lot more standard then not standard equipment.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this since this seems to be an issue primarily focused on character battles, which isn't my forte. I'll do the best I can.

I can't really say trying to determine which item can be consider a standard item due to the amount of games they appeared or relevance to their appearance is appropriate or logical as I'm pretty sure many people would viewed certian amount of them natural to the character such as the Hammer Bros Suit and FLUDD. In addition, the franchise has more games than literally any other franchise in the media (I think it's over 250 at this time), so I can't say such a harsh restriction is justified. On top of that, we have certian equipment that functions the same but are different for certian reasons. I believe Marionaruto1 has a point.

The best solution I can offer is simply classified what power-ups he's allowed or not allowed in everytime he's paired up against a character. If that's too much of a hassle, then simply leave it be since it's not really much of an issue from my perspective.

Thank you for the input Dino.

So which items should be counted as more standard ones, and which as optional?

It's hard to justify since there are more than 250 games since dino said just leave it and just restrict some abilities verses another character

Okay. That is probably fine then.

I still feel they should be in the power-ups tab if they need to be specifically used. However, I do recall Mario and Luigi having mushrooms, 1-Ups and other things in the Mario & Luigi games in which they weren't being prepared for combat or anything.

Maybe we could use a compromise solution and let Mario have his common items as standard equipment and the uncommon ones as optional equipment?

I think Ant's proposal sounds quite decent. Whilst a lot of it does seem to fall into optional equipment, I feel that perhaps it's been a bit too strict to say the more commonly used items, objects and tools aren't allowed to count as standard equipment. Generally, it's quite the can of worms due to how over the place the Mario franchise as whole can be...

But that's a completely different stat, I don't see why you'd do that? That's like saying put an AP feat in only the Striking Strength stat.

Power up on that tabber is mostly what he had in his previous titles it's not considered optional if he had throughout the entire series and game in his hand not to mention battle cards are similar to certain title such as paper Mario 3ds and color splash

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're trying to pervey here... Are you trying to say his ability to collect attacks in the recent Paper Mario titles should be considered as well? As for the Power Up tabber, I don't think your point acknowledges the fact it has nothing to do with the standard equipment stat, which is something we want to pin down here. Listing them in that tabber is all well and good, in fact I'd say it's incredibly useful to explain them all in one place, but we're trying to think of what could count for standard equipment, and so the tabber doesn't quite apply here...

It won't be hard to explain what those abilities do at all. Also it's best imo to just make a '''RPG SERIES''' tabber and add them to that if possible but as DRB said its beatvto leave them be and just restrict them in certain battles of u have to since mario and luigi series and paper mario series are canon

You can ask Dino Ranger Black to comment here again if you wish.

Look, leaving the tabber aside (but either way these aren't HIS abilities so not sure why it says base), but we just need to decide what Mario would carry with him a lot of times.

His hammer should be standard for reasons above. A mushroom and a 1-Up Mushroom since I remember having those at the start of BiS. Maybe Cappy until the next games stop showing him as Mario has him post-game. Maybe I missed some.

Back