• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Galaxy games Mario should be a different key from normal Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude

it is 3 (three) examples of mario's jumps being above his spin attack

vs

10 (ten) examples of his spin attacks being better

do you have ANY ******* idea what an outlier is, chariot
Yes, an outlier would be Mario fighting a 3-C Bowser, one drastic discrepancy among a **** ton of feats done with an effort at a far lower threshold. An exception among a mass of context feats that cap him lower.
Not 30% of the time his normal stuff being just as good.

Per our own outlier page

An Outlier is an event or incident that is considered to be completely and irreconcilably inconsistent with a character, entity, group, or series' normal displayed level of power.

The "normal displayed level of power" in this case is the spin attack being superior to Mario's other attacks. This is because it occurs 10 times total, compared to 3 times of the opposite occurring. This means those 3 times are inconsistent, and thus, an outlier. I literally cannot dumb this down any further.

An english source that doesn't contradict anything, which according to you is fine and dandy 🥱
Unless you're backpedaling?
have you even bothered to check the raws at all
you mean the English source that’s well known for being extremely contradictory and literally is not used on our profiles? Because yes, that’s the one. I didn’t use it in any of my arguments, and the OP only mentioned it due to not knowing it’s not used for our profiles. I’ve got nothing to backpedal with.

Ah but we can use TCG cards and non-canon english websites right?
I don’t think the TCG Cards bring any important info to the table that isn’t stated anywhere else, they barely matter here. The English website to my knowledge is fine, we don’t have any notes about not using them unless they’re contradictory and so far they haven’t been proven to be so. Unless you can find something in the Japanese website that contradicts if, if there even is one. This was pointless and didn’t need to be brought up.

Yes, an outlier would be Mario fighting a 3-C Bowser, one drastic discrepancy among a **** ton of feats done with an effort at a far lower threshold. An exception among a mass of context feats that cap him lower.
Not 30% of the time his normal stuff being just as good.
A 3C Bowser, alongside the several other Grand Star users, it’s a lot more than just one exception lol, every major boss becomes an exception when viewing Mario as unamped.

also pretty sure red star mario supports the gravity notion anyway
Red Star Mario is literally its own power up.

Per our own outlier page

An Outlier is an event or incident that is considered to be completely and irreconcilably inconsistent with a character, entity, group, or series' normal displayed level of power.

The "normal displayed level of power" in this case is the spin attack being superior to Mario's other attacks. This is because it occurs 10 times total, compared to 3 times of the opposite occurring. This means those 3 times are inconsistent, and thus, an outlier. I literally cannot dumb this down any further.
Yeah, it also says that only the most extreme examples. This isn't an outlier, it's you THINKING it's an amp, and because you're working under the notion it's an amp, you're going "well 30% of the time his normal stuff works or is more effective, so they must be outliers", but that'd only be true if it was actually confirmed an amp and in reality it'd just make them the same ballpark, but with one having the edge over the other
The fact it isn't actually stated an amp means your argument is, again, confirmation bias, as it stands, it just means it's situationally better.

The only reason it'd be an outlier is because Mario's cosmic spin can harm Bowser who's 3-C in that game, but so can his normal attacks.
The outlier would be scaling him to Bowser in this case, not the comparability between attacks. Of course, some people might argue it isn't an outlier for him, idk, that's for them to decide, I'm just arguing against your reason to why.

Yeah, it also says that only the most extreme examples. This isn't an outlier, it's you THINKING it's an amp, and because you're working under the notion it's an amp, you're going "well 30% of the time his normal stuff works or is more effective, so they must be outliers", but that'd only be true if it was actually confirmed an amp and in reality it'd just make them the same ballpark, but with one having the edge over the other
The fact it isn't actually stated an amp means your argument is, again, confirmation bias, as it stands, it just means it's situationally better.
The alternative, then, is assuming that those 10 examples I gave are what's inconsistent with Mario's usual level of power, which is a far less reasonable assumption. We can't avoid stupid inconsistencies like this, but the bare minimum we can do is stick with the interpretation that presents is with less of them.

The only reason it'd be an outlier is because Mario's cosmic spin can harm Bowser who's 3-C in that game, but so can his normal attacks.
The outlier would be scaling him to Bowser in this case, not the comparability between attacks. Of course, some people might argue it isn't an outlier for him, idk, that's for them to decide, I'm just arguing against your reason to why.
In SMG1? I am 99% certain it is only spin attacks that work after he's been burned in lava, could be wrong though. And the SMG2 fight literally does not make sense if Mario isn't amped, because it'd imply unamped Mario > amped Bowser just like the dreamy bowser bullshit lol

The alternative, then, is assuming that those 10 examples I gave are what's inconsistent with Mario's usual level of power, which is a far less reasonable assumption. We can't avoid stupid inconsistencies like this, but the bare minimum we can do is stick with the interpretation that presents is with less of them.

In SMG1? I am 99% certain it is only spin attacks that work after he's been burned in lava, could be wrong though. And the SMG2 fight literally does not make sense if Mario isn't amped, because it'd imply unamped Mario > amped Bowser just like the dreamy bowser bullshit lol
In SMG1 Bowser can only be hurt with spin attacks, usually after being burned by the planet’s core. In SMG2 you ground pound meteors into his face.

you mean the English source that’s well known for being extremely contradictory and literally is not used on our profiles? Because yes, that’s the one. I didn’t use it in any of my arguments, and the OP only mentioned it due to not knowing it’s not used for our profiles. I’ve got nothing to backpedal with.
And what's contradictory about this claim in particular?
Either way, this doesn't actually change anything I said.
I don’t think the TCG Cards bring any important info to the table that isn’t stated anywhere else, they barely matter here. The English website to my knowledge is fine, we don’t have any notes about not using them unless they’re contradictory and so far they haven’t been proven to be so. Unless you can find something in the Japanese website that contradicts if, if there even is one. This was pointless and didn’t need to be brought up.
It's actually quite relevant, this is simply picking and choosing what not original canon info you get to run with.
Like I hope to **** you realize if anything you've stated isn't in the japanese, it's not usable right.
A 3C Bowser, alongside the several other Grand Star users, it’s a lot more than just one exception lol, every major boss becomes an exception when viewing Mario as unamped.
Yes, but only Bowser has the 3-C feats, and he's played off as the baddest of the bunch.
And you're kinda just ignoring all of Galaxy 1 lmao, and every other power star boss who are also amped but hey, what makes those suddenly fine?

As said before, your whole argument is based on what you want because it's convenient and would explain away some bad scaling, but being convenient doesn't mean that's what's contextually happening. If you think Grand Star mf's are a billion times above base Mario, that's fine, cool, whatever, that'd just mean Mario fighting them is an outlier, not that he's secretly amped.
30%, 30% Fuji, ignoring a whole 30% of contradictions, and then some, solely because you THINK something is happening and THIRTY PERCENT of the time the thing you merely THINK is happening is contradicted.

And there you go, "interpretation", you all but just admitted, you don't have any solid proof and are merely interpreting various things to suit your vision despite the lack of actual hard confirmation. Of course you can interpret it like that, you can also do the opposite, and anything inbetween.
Against a nonamped Bowser though, which is my point, a Bowser that scales to Mario normally, can tank the alleged decillion times attack buff.

And the SMG2 fight? My brother in christ, Mario can hurt the giga amped Bowser with moves that AREN'T the spin attack in that instance so it's ****** either way.

30%, 30% Fuji, ignoring a whole 30% of contradictions, and then some, solely because you THINK something is happening and THIRTY PERCENT of the time the thing you merely THINK is happening is contradicted.
And what about your position? That, despite your interpretation having more contradictions than support by a factor of over 3, those lone 3 examples are more consistent? That they make more sense? If you believe I'm ignoring 30% of contradictions (I'm not), then that means you're ignoring 70% of contradictions. And, well, I shouldn't have to explain which one is the better position.

Against a nonamped Bowser though, which is my point, a Bowser that scales to Mario normally, can tank the alleged decillion times attack buff.
"tank" It is literally the only thing Mario can do that injures him, he ain't tanking shit.

And what about your position? That, despite your interpretation having more contradictions than support by a factor of over 3, those lone 3 examples are more consistent? That they make more sense? If you believe I'm ignoring 30% of contradictions (I'm not), then that means you're ignoring 70% of contradictions. And, well, I shouldn't have to explain which one is the better position.
They aren't contradictions though, it's circumstantial, it'd only be a contradiction to my point if it was actually confirmed to do what you says it does, but it isn't, and if it did say it, we wouldn't even be arguing.
Again, tenth time, this is confirmation bias. You're looking for things to support headcanon.
"tank" It is literally the only thing Mario can do that injures him, he ain't tanking shit.
takes like 9 cosmic spins to defeat
while unamped
not tanking

They aren't contradictions though, it's circumstantial, it'd only be a contradiction to my point if it was actually confirmed to do what you says it does, but it isn't, and if it did say it, we wouldn't even be arguing.
Again, tenth time, this is confirmation bias. You're looking for things to support headcanon.
"It's circumstantial" wow i guess that clear everything up then, huh!

Seriously though, do you have ANY reason why these the instances where Mario can damage bosses with his spin attack and not his jump are "circumstantial"? You've got ten of them to cover, so they must be some pretty extraordinary circumstances (backed by direct statements, ofc; After all, I know you hate when something is only shown, and never said).

Also, Bowser only needs to get hit 3 times and on the second time, he goes unconscious for a bit. I don't think we'd justify scaling to someone if two hits from them can knock you out, and three can completely beat your ass :v

You do realize ground pounding meteors into his face is still physically attacking someone. If a through a rock at the moon so hard I blew it up, I must have thrown that rock really hard.
I was clarifying to Fujiwara what method of harm is made to Bowser in that fight. I literally wasn’t even making a statement of power there, just clarification.

I am aware that ground pounding a meteor to the point of damaging a 3C entity is a 3C feat. I never argued against that. My entire argument for that is just that Mario was amped while doing it.
It's actually quite relevant, this is simply picking and choosing what not original canon info you get to run with.
Like I hope to **** you realize if anything you've stated isn't in the japanese, it's not usable right.
Unless you have anything to show that they’re not stated in Japanese, or is contradictory, I don’t care. Nothing you have to say about it until that point really matters.

The Prima Guide isn’t usable because it is grossly inconsistent with the original game and was written by a tertiary source. Nothing else has been shown to be inconsistent yet, however.

There’s no picking and choosing being done here, stop trying to paint is as so.

And regardless, all the other sources I’ve mentioned are secondary to my point regardless. The statements made within the manuals & games themselves were mainly what my point was founded upon, with the website being secondary evidence. I guess you can count the TCG but I never really took it into account.

(I’d also like to continue mentioning that there is a spin attack amped ground pound that can be used (^: )

Last edited:
"It's circumstantial" wow i guess that clear everything up then, huh!
Yeah? Various things are useful depending on the circumstances. Your evidence is ACTUALLY circumstantial.
Seriously though, do you have ANY reason why these the instances where Mario can damage bosses with his spin attack and not his jump are "circumstantial"?
Most either involves knocking an enemy's weakpoint, or jump attacks don't strike the vulnerable parts for starters on a few of them. (Horizontal vs vertical tbh).
And nonargument.
You've got ten of them to cover, so they must be some pretty extraordinary circumstances (backed by direct statements, ofc; After all, I know you hate when something is only shown, and never said).
Extraordinary? I'd call them pretty ordinary, it's usually just makes sense in the context of the boss. Kamela for example requires throwing things back, so you use the spin to deflect things or throw things back.
With Bowser in Galaxy 1, it's simply because it's a strike and you build up momentum, something you can't really do with a jump.

If you actually stop and think about it, most of the instances are self-evident.
And again, 30% of the time isn't something you can handwave, when what you're arguing is nothing but conjecture.
Also, Bowser only needs to get hit 3 times and on the second time, he goes unconscious for a bit. I don't think we'd justify scaling to someone if two hits from them can knock you out, and three can completely beat your ass :v
We do, all the time actually, they don't do insane damage life-threatening damage, merely stun and daze him. And that's ignoring how, as just mentioned, it's actually accumulating damage, the dude can tank an infinite amount of them actually, it's only when you do 3 in a row and then another once he's down does it do anything. Don't want to hear "well he has a shell" lmao, Mario and lads can hurt his shell as seen in the RPG games.
which the jump attack can do on quite a few of them, including spin attack bosses
Unless you have anything to show that they’re not stated in Japanese, or is contradictory, I don’t care. Nothing you have to say about it until that point really matters.
Uh, lad, burden of proof is on you here? It's you who's saying it's an amp. Shouldn't it be you going through the actual source material to prove your claim instead of using disconnected hyperbole in english media?
The Prima Guide isn’t usable because it is grossly inconsistent with the original game and was written by a tertiary source.
So uh, literally EVERYTHING in this thread? And you say it's inconsistent (lmao at the irony), which sure, it could be, but I'm asking why the attack that is said to be gravity would be inconsistent 🤔
But, as said in last post, this doesn't actually effect my stance, post statement, or not, that's quite frankly all I care about at this point, I've seen what you've had to say, don't buy any it, statement or bust.
Nothing else has been shown to be inconsistent yet, however.
Dude, if it was 100% perfectly consistent, we wouldn't even be arguing.
There’s no picking and choosing being done here, stop trying to paint is as so.
But that's unironically what this whole thread has been, you selectively choosing disconnected statements (not even japanese) to paint a narrative that something MUST be happening while ignoring everything to the contrary, all without an actual statement confirming your initial stance.
This is one of the most selective threads I've seen in like a year tbh.

Uh, lad, burden of proof is on you here? It's you who's saying it's an amp. Shouldn't it be you going through the actual source material to prove your claim instead of using disconnected hyperbole in english media?
No, not really. I have official sources from the games, from the manuals (which have NO official Japanese sources to contradict it, as previously stated) and other supplementary media which just support what’s already said in the games & manuals further. I don’t really have to prove anything here, you, as the person arguing against my points, have to show the burden of proof that my scans/links are wrong, which you aren’t doing. For all your begging of scans I actually haven’t seen you post a single one.

I actually would have dug up every Japanese scan possible if I was the one to make this thread as I initially planned to, I typically try to be as comprehensive as possible for this shit, but considering I already mentioned that someone beat me to it and I was unprepared ahead of time, here I am. Sorry that I didn’t get the chance to check every ******* Japanese scan beforehand, but I don’t see you going to try to do it either. All I see is you doing a lot of disingenuous “oh, well it COULD be different in the other version !” While not showing any proof of that difference. Unless you’re bringing proof of that difference you have no reason to speak up about it besides attempting to disingenuously belittle a point because you can’t think of a proper counter argument for it.

So uh, literally EVERYTHING in this thread? And you say it's inconsistent (lmao at the irony), which sure, it could be, but I'm asking why the attack that is said to be gravity would be inconsistent 🤔
But, as said in last post, this doesn't actually effect my stance, post statement, or not, that's quite frankly all I care about at this point, I've seen what you've had to say, don't buy any it, statement or bust.
At this point you’re just saying shit. There’s nothing inconsistent with the statements of the Lumas granting the power of the stars nor them granting abilities alongside that.

Your entire argument against mine hinges on “it can’t be an amp because it provides abilities” and “it can’t be an amp because you can defeat bosses using things besides the spin move”.

I still don’t get how your argument of Bowser fighting unamped in Galaxy 1 would matter either, especially when it would just blatantly become an outlier for the character otherwise. He comes amped in the next game. It’s either Bowser has the outlier of fighting Mario in Galaxy 1, or Mario has the outlier of fighting at least 12 different bosses across two games.

How about you post scans and proof that my argument is wrong instead of just talking in circles, show irrefutable in game evidence I’m wrong. Show that the multiple statements in the games, manuals, website, etc saying that the Luma grants power, and the empirical evidence that Fuji brought up is factually incorrect and it’s explicitly hard confirmed that the Luma only grants a couple abilities. Because clearly we aren’t going to get anywhere like this otherwise and I’m frankly already sick of it. I’d rather start getting mods in here soon

No, not really. I have official sources from the games, from the manuals (which have NO official Japanese sources to contradict it, as previously stated) and other supplementary media which just support what’s already said in the games & manuals further.
The sources in the games that don't say it's an amp.
The manuals which you keep saying don't actually exist so they're unusable.
Supplementary media contradicts your claims, the fact you think otherwise is a cognitive bias, unironically every statement in regards to GML is talking about abilities, or with the context clarified, would just mean the abilities it gives.
I don’t really have to prove anything here, you, as the person arguing against my points, have to show the burden of proof that my scans/links are wrong, which you aren’t doing. For all your begging of scans I actually haven’t seen you post a single one.
Oh, but you do, it's a CRT, your VERY JOB is to prove it, otherwise it won't get accepted.
Your scans are wrong because they don't confirm, state or even really imply there's a insane amp going on and it's just false equivalences and disconnected examples, most of which aren't even Luma's 🗿
That's why they're wrong, gg ez, done, but I don't even have to do that as you haven't actually PROVEN ANYTHING to begin with.

And yeah? I don't need to post anything? Again, it's on you to post the statement saying it's an amp, not on me to post a statement saying it ISNT an amp also everyone else posted the scans ive been using for me, no need to double post it
I actually would have dug up every Japanese scan possible if I was the one to make this thread as I initially planned to, I typically try to be as comprehensive as possible for this shit, but considering I already mentioned that someone beat me to it and I was unprepared ahead of time, here I am.
Then don't complain.
Sorry that I didn’t get the chance to check every ******* Japanese scan beforehand, but I don’t see you going to try to do it either.
Well of course I'm not gonna do it, I'm not the person arguing for it lmao, the burden of proof is on you. When sticking with english statements only, we get told what it does, so that's how it be.
You disagree, you think it doesn't, so it's on you to dig through shit to find if it says it or not.
All I see is you doing a lot of disingenuous “oh, well it COULD be different in the other version !”
Disingenuous? It seems you misunderstand, I ain't arguing for that, I'm calling you out on the fact you're using english EXCLUSIVE, in your own words, statements, and how usually we use japanese shit for japanese products, and if the lines don't actually exist in japanese, we'd normally just toss them, kinda like Piccolo's SBC being stated to be lightspeed in the eng dub, we don't use that as it's eng only.
I saw this in response to YOUR claims, you brought this issue up, not me.

And I never once said it could be different at least that wasn't what i meant if i did, but i dont recall actually saying those words, that's you, funny enough, strawmanning, I quite frankly don't care what it says, I'm fine with using the eng stuff atm, as long as it has an equivalent for japanese and not made up, but you've said otherwise so...

But good point, it COULD say something different, so get to it ig.
While not showing any proof of that difference.
Because I don't have to? What world do you live in where it's up to other people to prove what the originals say? It should be you posting it as it's you making a claim that something is the way it is.
Unless you’re bringing proof of that difference you have no reason to speak up about it besides attempting to disingenuously belittle a point because you can’t think of a proper counter argument for it.
My dude, my argument and counterpoint is you're literally just grasping at straws and doing a jigsaw puzzle between a bunch of disconnected examples and false equivalences to say that it MUST be an amp despite the lack of actual confirmation while ignoring the contradictions, widely varying changes between that has cross scaling unrelated things moot all while ignoring how we already KNOW what it does, and it ain't what you're arguing.
I've already made enough counter-arguments, I don't need to anymore. Post a statement or start digging through the raws and pray you find something there instead is basically what I'm getting at.
At this point you’re just saying shit. There’s nothing inconsistent with the statements of the Lumas granting the power of the stars nor them granting abilities alongside that.
Oh, but there is. Do you not realize that if "power of the stars", which, to be blunt, is nothing but your headcanon, CONSISTENTLY doing DIFFERENT things, and in this very case, doing widely different things compared to ALL your examples given, in which they've even gone on record to denote the very things it DID do, Then, as we would do with any other verse, would make it a REQUIREMENT for a statement to be given, but as odd as it might be, the fact that we do get a statement, multiple, that lacks such a claim is evidence enough they are not the same.

And no, not how it works, you don't get to go "well it granted power these times, so hypothetically it could here too", that's again, again, confirmative bias.

Your entire argument against mine hinges on “it can’t be an amp because it provides abilities” and “it can’t be an amp because you can defeat bosses using things besides the spin move”.
Strawman, that or a very bad reading comprehension.
That's part of the argument, but maybe like, 10%? But be that as it may, that could unironically be the extent of everything I've said and it'd still have more merit than your argument which is based on nothing but headcanon and wild extrapolation.
I still don’t get how your argument of Bowser fighting unamped in Galaxy 1 would matter either, especially when it would just blatantly become an outlier for the character otherwise.
Because he's unamped? You answered your own question. And no, it'd ONLY be an outlier if Mario was amped untold magnitudes, but if he isn't amped, then there's no issue, this is, as with all your arguments, self fufilling. It's a circular argument, by definition, you argue because it's an amped it's an outlier, and because it's and outlier it must be an amp.
Unironic repeat of what was said above, already argued it.
How about you post scans and proof that my argument is wrong instead of just talking in circles, show irrefutable in game evidence I’m wrong.
Bowser can be hurt by non spin attack, bam.
The multiple instances of clarifying what GML gave doesn't list what you're suggesting, bam.
What GML does is explicitly and demonstrably different from power and grand stars, bam.
Bowser is unamped in galaxy 1 yet can fight the alleged amp mario, bam.

Like jesus christ, I could list shit all day. But I don't have to, burden of proof is on you, you're arguing he got amped, but no such statement actually exists, in fact there's a blatant absence of it, all while having a handful of contradictions to the claim as well. This is nobody's burden but your own.

Show that the multiple statements in the games, manuals, website, etc saying that the Luma grants power,
and the empirical evidence that Fuji brought up is factually incorrect a
I would love if that was true, but listing off examples, and then going "oh but you MUST ignore these ones because uh they debunk my own argument" isn't empirical evidence, it's flat-out cherry picking.
and it’s explicitly hard confirmed that the Luma only grants a couple abilities.
Yes, because that's the only thing they state it does, and they say verbatim what it gives, that being abilities, no mention of stat boost of magnitudes, which ngl, you'd think is KIND OF IMPORTANT as you've said multiple times, and you can't cross-scale it to disconnected examples as, well, it's an actual wiki rule? Also headcanon.
Because clearly we aren’t going to get anywhere like this otherwise and I’m frankly already sick of it. I’d rather start getting mods in here soon
There's already a mod in here
And he agrees with me, not you 🗿

I'll say it again, post a statement saying he got amped, it's THAT easy, it's all we need, nothing more, nothing less. Arguing power star in 64 amps so GML should too ain't gonna cut it you're also ignoring the luma's and "power of the stars" that don't amp in other games as well, because GML ain't a stand alone exception

Last edited:
But good point, it COULD say something different, so get to it ig.
time to replace every single english scan with japanese ones on the mario profiles or they get the downgrade 😈

there's tons of english only localized stuff already on the profiles so get tooo it

time to replace every single english scan with japanese ones on the mario profiles or they get the downgrade 😈

there's tons of english only localized stuff already on the profiles so get tooo it
Not my job, this ain't my verse, obviously using eng scans if the same thing is said in the raws is fine, but exclusive stuff, that ain't it chief, but you're right, that would need to done eventually.

Galaxy 1 direct Japanese scan. No mentions of power or strength. It directly just says you get the spin with the Luma

Now, Galaxy 2 is a bit different, but I think context is what matters...

While mentions of strength and power are indeed mentioned, I do believe that it's not referring to Mario at all, but rather GML himself, since the statement includes the specifics of what the inside of Mario's hat feels like. If it clearly said "Mario felt a surge of power/strength throughout his body" it'd be different.

I have no doubt this will try to be spun in favor of the OP's arguments though, even though contextually it makes more sense to be talking about GML (he's literally the one talking).

So, if the Japanese scans are deemed not good enough to support the OP's arguments, then this matter should be settled. Regardless, this a trump card either way.

While mentions of strength and power are indeed mentioned, I do believe that it's not referring to Mario at all, but rather GML himself, since the statement includes the specifics of what the inside of Mario's hat feels like. If it clearly said "Mario felt a surge of power/strength throughout his body" it'd be different.

I have no doubt this will try to be spun in favor of the OP's arguments though, even though contextually it makes more sense to be talking about GML.
It doesn't make sense with how it is written.

Mario's hat is warm because luma is now in it. Also we know that it's luma who gives Mario a boost and not the opposite because of the game.

Also, when luma talks you see a luma icon on the side of the text + text in brackets, so it's not luma talking (it's just narration).

Regardless, I should also note the intended way to read it is not "strength" as it is written but "power" which... Again is vague

If I need to explain it, the kanji above the other kanji is used to signify the intent and how you're supposed to actually read it. It's like clarification almost.

It can mean strength, power, vigor, energy, force, ability, capability, power (in the sense of control), means, etc.

It could imply strength, but we have context as to what it means given, in that it's power in the sense of various abilities and whatnot.
also because OP mentioned smash, smash says "star power" and "power of the stars" in the sense of various abilities so...

While the English release does say Mario felt a new power throughout his body, the Japanese doesn't clarify if it's Mario and omit "new". it uses first person.

If we make the argument that the English corroborates the Japanese (they ARE almost exactly the same statement), then we're back to square one and the Japanese scans provide us with no clarification that it's indeed an amp, as the "new power" or "power" is just the spin with the context we have.

While the English release does say Mario felt a new power throughout his body, the Japanese doesn't clarify if it's Mario. it uses first person.

If we make the argument that the English corroborates the Japanese (they ARE almost exactly the same statement), then we're back to square one and the Japanese scans provide us with no clarification that it's indeed an amp, as the "new power" or "power" is just the spin.
Japanese sentence you sent doesn't use pronouns and it's not luma talking.

Also ngl if you use Bowser as a means of saying "Look! It grants an amp for sure!" from the same game, then why didn't Mario also grow giant? That's what the whole counterargument means when it says the "power of the stars" can do different things, as it does so within the very same game.

力 is used for power like being strong or having great influence.
It's also used for a **** of different things too, the root word is force, but it has like 30 meanings given how basic of kanji it is.

We know what it's doing in this case so like? This ain't exactly up for debate.

It's also used for a **** of different things too, the root word is force, but it has like 30 meanings given how basic of kanji it is.

We know what it's doing in this case so like? This ain't exactly up for debate.
I don't think I ever used the word the way you say in my life. Words with the kanji in yes, but not just 力.

Oh boy. Not another kanji meaning argument. We've had so many other Mario threads with this shit. This is why I say just stick with the English release, man. Mario's Japanese is so simple it's hard to **** up the meaning of the translations. Only on very rare occasions has there been purposeful rewrites or errors like using "star" when it should be a planet because they both can be "hoshi"

Also, the statement is just practically the same as the English one so I feel like we can just default to the English.

Oh boy. Not another kanji meaning argument. We've had so many other Mario threads with this shit. This is why I say just stick with the English release, man. Mario's Japanese is so simple it's hard to **** up the meaning of the translations. Only on very rare occasions has there been purposeful rewrites or errors like using "star" when it should be a planet because they both can be "hoshi"

Also, the statement is just practically the same as the English one so I feel like we can just default to the English.
You used japanese, so I thought you were japanese too

Why did you search japanese if you don't like it? I don't understand..

Also ngl if you use Bowser as a means of saying "Look! It grants an amp for sure!" from the same game, then why didn't Mario also grow giant? That's what the whole counterargument means when it says the "power of the stars" can do different things, as it does so within the very same game.
Because the Grand Star doesn’t provide the same abilities as a Luma? Like how a power star doesn’t provide the same abilities as either? I went over this earlier.

I actually do the work and find relevant Japanese scans since no one else does for Mario it seems. I'm not saying I'm a reliable source when it comes to the translation part, but I can at least put in the work to acquire them. And if need be, I'll use r/translator or whatever (haven't had to use it in a while) where there a people fluent or studying Japanese to back up my own or help me

Because the Grand Star doesn’t provide the same abilities as a Luma? Like how a power star doesn’t provide the same abilities as either? I went over this earlier.
You and this whole thread are arguing that "power of the stars" is some universal power. I already tried that before. It didn't go through. And part of that is because there are MANY stars in the Marioverse that you can literally use for power, whether that's strength or abilities.

As I understand it, the argument hinges on "the power of the stars" being a consistent AP amp because GML has a statement of being able to supply that mysterious power of the stars and then likening it to the fact Power Star and Grand Stars are frequently cited as also giving people the "power of the stars".

If Lumas grant different abilities, then why the **** are we arguing it grants Mario an AP amp similar to the ones Grand Stars give? You'd have to prove the Luma DOES amp and with what? You'd only have the "power of the stars" statement to rely on, which you JUST argued against them being the same because "Lumas grant different abilities," like, okay? You're actively supporting the opposition there as the fact Lumas do grant abilities is why we're saying they don't amp because that's NEVER been said anywhere else nor is it consistent for that matter.

Let me put it very simply, as Chariot has done already. But I want to make it very, very clear.

Because the "power of the stars" COULD and CAN be said in conjunction with stat amps doesn't necessarily MEAN that it IS always a stat amp, since we literally acknowledge that it can provide different abilities.

You have to actually prove that, in this specific circumstance, which is both Galaxy games, that the Luma's "power of the stars" is an explicit stat amp rather than just an ability it grants Mario as context would show us.

Let me put it very simply, as Chariot has done already. But I want to make it very, very clear.

Because the "power of the stars" COULD and CAN be said in conjunction with stat amps doesn't necessarily MEAN that it IS always a stat amp, since we literally acknowledge that it can provide different abilities.

You have to actually prove that, in this specific circumstance, which is both Galaxy games, that the Luma's "power of the stars" is an explicit stat amp rather than just an ability it grants Mario as context would show us.
You showed that it gives power (力) which is not really what you use for special abilities.

Also, the others have show that many times Mario can only beat a boss or ennemy because of the boost (+ what you say is that normal Mario >>> Grand Star = Mario with a Power Star).

Saying Mario Galaxy games are exceptions isn't logic too..

I don't think I ever used the word the way you say in my life. Words with the kanji in yes, but not just 力.
Lmao, the word just means force, but it in itself has a BUNCH of usages, strength? Yes, but it can even mean something as specific as a political power.

It's literally, ironically, in the same vain as how power in English can mean physical power, or a bunch of other shit, which is, ironically once again, the SAME issue as in English. Added context tells us power doesn't mean huge stat boost in this instance.

Lmao, the word just means force, but it in itself has a BUNCH of usages.

It's literally, ironically, in the same vain as how power in English can mean physical power, or a bunch of other shit, which is, ironically once again, the SAME issue as in English. Added context tells us power doesn't mean huge stat boost in this instance.
There's the word alone 力 and 力 as radical or part of other words. Here it is the word, not the radical or a part of a word.

I'm not sure what you don't understand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back