• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marineford Whitebeard Feats Re-Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
This thread is just to suggest that we replace the current calcs used for Whitebeard here, with these ones done by Arc7Kuroi.

As linked in Arc7Kuroi's calc, the reasoning for replacing the calculation is that the previous method of calculating the size of the battleships is less reliable due to the perspective of the panel as explained in this post by Deceived3596.

The new method uses the canon height of the Merry Go, compared to the battleships which are in line with the Merry Go making it a more accurate scaling.

As Whitebeard's profile isn't rated off of these calcs, we don't need to change any values. We'd just need to replace the links to the calcs on his page and the verse page if accepted.

@DemonGodMitchAubin @CloverDragon03 Would you two be able to assist with evaluating this please?

And I promise to get back to MHA soon Clover, but I was pressured into making this thread.

The battleship hull "line" being only 2 meters bigger the the merry feels inconsistent when looking at the other comparison shots of the two in that arc (Although admittedly I haven't pixel scaled this to confirm whether or not that's true):
F5Isi3E.png
EKH88Ak.png
UvcIbTW.png
W21vnfK.png

The shot that Arc7 used is the clearest shot given to us as far as I'm aware.

I agree with Emin here. The battleships are portrayed and drawn as much larger than the Merry. It being 2 meters just means that the scan Arc used is inaccurate.

Someone, not me 😎, should compile all the pre-TS comparisons of marine warships to stuff with known sizes

Here we have a straightforward comparison of the Battleship to the 19.5 m tall Saul:

zKEPcU8.jpg

And here is a battleship next to the 60 m tall Little Oars Jr:

JIXjgKq.jpg

Either way you look at it, that striped portion of the Battleship is not over 60 m tall as it is in the current calc.

So I say we either update the calcs with Arc7's version or remove the calcs altogether.

I don’t doubt that, but 13 meters is clearly wrong as well.
I don't agree. In both other example pics, that portion of the Battleship looks around that size.

It's just in smaller, less detailed panels where the sizes are off.

If you're arguing that the battleships are so inconsistent that we can't use any scaled size, then do you want us to just not use the calcs at all?

Someone, not me 😎, should compile all the pre-TS comparisons of marine warships to stuff with known sizes
The post-timeskip Warships are also valid as we see we can compare it to the Kuja ship in both the pre-timeskip and post-timeskip which shows the battleships are roughly the same size (Plus they're identical)
Here we have a straightforward comparison of the Battleship to the 19.5 m tall Saul:

zKEPcU8.jpg
This is also a warship from 22 years ago. With it being worth noting that the size differences 2 years prior to this scan showed a very noticeable size dissimilarity to what we see during Marineford:
hkMiUQy.png

And here is a battleship next to the 60 m tall Little Oars Jr:

JIXjgKq.jpg
Unless I'm mistaken Oars Jr's size was already discussed as being too inconsistent in this thread:

There's too many for me to want to compile them all, but besides the ones I brought up before comparing the merry during Enies Lobby I know there are quite a few comparison shots with the Polar tang which we know is a comparable size to the Sunny:

There's too many for me to want to compile them all, but besides the ones I brought up before comparing the merry during Enies Lobby I know there are quite a few comparison shots with the Polar tang which we know is a comparable size to the Sunny:

3rd shot looks usable

Maybe my eyes are just bad, but for the most part the striped sides of the ship seem to be only slightly larger than Law’s ship which you say is comparable to the Going Merry. To me they look mostly consistent with the shot I used for pixel scaling. Maybe I’m tripping but that’s kinda what I’m seeing.

Maybe my eyes are just bad, but for the most part the striped sides of the ship seem to be only slightly larger than Law’s ship which you say is comparable to the Going Merry. To me they look mostly consistent with the shot I used for pixel scaling. Maybe I’m tripping but that’s kinda what I’m seeing.
The Polar Tang is comparable to the thousand sunny, not merry.

With Mitch's agreement on it, I'm pretty sure this can be applied.

I'll update the verse page & Whitebeard's profile now.

EDIT: Changes applied. Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back