• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece: Kaishin Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
A new calc for a previously calced feat has been released recently, but since there's already a calc for it, we need to see which calculation is better.

They are basically the same exact calc, except the size is different.

My calc.

@Stefano4444's calc

Of course I would defend my calculation.​

The tower that was compared to Sanjuan Wolf was fragmented by Whitebeard. The ground that it stood on was fragmented as well. The battlefield, environment, and atmosphere was all destroyed during that time period. Even Sengoku in his huge Buddha form seemed to be on a lower altitude than the Blackbeard pirates on the other size.

Usually, we take the pictures closer to the event of the feat. The picture that compared Sanjuan Wolf to the tower was later than the time period of the initial feat (23 chapters to be exact) while the pictures in my calculation were all closer to the event..

The calcs I did for the size of the tower were all done by objects that weren't affected. WB's height wasn't affected, the ship's width wasn't affected (the length was since it was broken in half, which is why I did the width), the Bay diameter wasn't affected, the island's diameter wasn't affected. The tower's height was affected.

Behind the tower, there seems to be a rock formation of some sort which could've elevated Sanjuan Wolf to that point of the tower. That could've played a huge part.

Also, it's stated that he was behind the tower for a long period of time, as Kurohige (or someone else from their crew) says "they finally spotted us". There would be no reason why someone comparable to the tower wouldn't have been spotted prior.

Sanjuan's height is also not something reliable. He was almost as high as the clouds. I'm not saying to ignore it's height, but we should consider the fact that there's no reason why a 180 meter man can headbutt the clouds.

The only downside is that I used a few more pictures to scale the tower's height.

In Conclusion​

My calculation used a more stable and non-affected Marineford size. Less factors were affected and the calc wasn't based off of a giant person's height (which Oda has shown inconsistencies with).

There are other versions of the calcs for Whitebeard's Gura Gura feats here, by me, as well.

Mine doesn't use the earthquake method you've used but it does involve calcing Marineford's size. I do use two panels to go from Oars to the bay, and the bay to the island, but looking back at it, it looks like it would be possible to scale Marineford itself just from that one panel with Oars on it (albeit the edge of one side of the island is slightly out of frame).

Thanks for sending me that, I had no idea you calced that specific feat.

Little Oars Jr.'s height is extremely inconsistent, even via the author.

I'm taking this from the fandom which I'm assuming quoted the databook accurately. He says that he's as tall as 2 giants while Oars is as tall as 4, yet Oars has like 7 meters on Little Oars Jr.
Oars iii's height is shown to be comparable to one of Whitebeard's broken ships, but Whitebeard's largest ship, his own, in your scan looks even smaller.
In this scan he doesn't even look twice the size of a giant, while having statements of being over twice in the manga.
Little Oars Jr. shouldn't be this much larger than Kuma. Kuma isn't even 7 meters while Oars Jr. is around 60 in the manga.
You can easily calc his head's size to be less than twice the size of Doflamingo's body, and Doflamingo is 3 meters. No 60 meter giant should be like this.

Little Oars Jr. and every other gigantic humanoid creature should be the absolute final choice in scaling an island size.

The Blue Deep databook stated that Oars Jr. is as large as two giants, while his ancestor Oars is as large as four.[7] However, per the heights given in Vivre Card, the two are only seven meters apart in height at 60 and 67 meters, respectively, which both are about three times the height of a typical grown giant.

The Vivre Card is the more recent and therefore more up to date databook, right? So we'd use that over the Blue Deep statement.

As for the other points, I'm not actually see too many inaccuracies there. Kuma looks smaller because he's further away in that panel. Oars' head being that size isn't necessarily inconsistent either because his proportions are not exactly like an ordinary persons.

Maybe it's just me but Oars does look easily twice as big as those other giants in the same panel.

So while I get being wary of relying on a giant-sized character for the size-scaling, I don't think he is as inconsistent as you think.

Personally i don't have any major issue with KingTempest recalc of Whitebeard's tsunamies with the new accepted sizes.

KingTempest's scaling of Marineford had be accepted already, so it would be inconsistent to don't use it for calc Whitebeard's tsunamies.

Moby Dick cannot be taller than Oars Jr. Since Oars was so much bigger than the ship, that he was carrying it in his hands iirc.

The Vivre Card is the more recent and therefore more up to date databook, right? So we'd use that over the Blue Deep statement.

As for the other points, I'm not actually see too many inaccuracies there. Kuma looks smaller because he's further away in that panel. Oars' head being that size isn't necessarily inconsistent either because his proportions are not exactly like an ordinary persons.

Maybe it's just me but Oars does look easily twice as big as those other giants in the same panel.

So while I get being wary of relying on a giant-sized character for the size-scaling, I don't think he is as inconsistent as you think.
That's true. I can't find scans of the databook (Oda's databooks are hard to access, not like Naruto's where every page is translated and on the web), but usually Oda justifies his statements with manga panels. And with the scan where it says he's taller than 2 giants, I'm pretty sure that he justified it by sending "4x larger" scans which I cannot find.

Kuma is definitely smaller, but if he comes even closer that means that Kuma would be even larger.
Kuma is further from the screen and is that big. If he comes closer to be on level ground, he'll be even larger, and Oars iii is damn near 9 times larger.

I understand the proportions, but you can check Oars' head to the rest of its body, and you'll see that it doesn't show a similar size.

The other points might be based on opinion, but we can see that even though they might be extremely inconsistent, they're inconsistent nonetheless.

Nevermind I think it was another ship. Moby Dick was destroyed by Akainu before that happens.
Yeah the Moby Dick was still in the middle of the bay while Oars iii used a different ship as a battering ram.

The other points might be based on opinion, but we can see that even though they might be extremely inconsistent, they're inconsistent nonetheless.

That'd be more relevant if we were comparing multiple panels that each featured Oars for the calc (like scaling one character to Oars, then scaling Oars to the object), but in the case of scaling Marineford all we'd need is the one panel where we have both Oars and Marineford in the same panel, and we only use the Vivre Card statement as the basis for his height.

That'd be more relevant if we were comparing multiple panels that each featured Oars for the calc (like scaling one character to Oars, then scaling Oars to the object), but in the case of scaling Marineford all we'd need is the one panel where we have both Oars and Marineford in the same panel, and we only use the Vivre Card statement as the basis for his height.
There's the issue.

Oars is inconsistent in every frame that he's in.

Not even trying to compare him to other characters.
Oars in one panel is comparable to the bay's walls while laying down. Then he's getting up and he's comparable to the same walls. After that, he stands up completely and he's equal to the walls.

It wouldn't matter that you're using only a single panel, because we can use one panel to calculate him compared to the Moby Dick's length in the exact same panel you sent, which is inconsistent with the other showings of Oars.

Less panels is better, yes, but if the measuring stick used is inconsistent in general, then it wouldn't be valid, especially when there's multiple panels where he's shown at a different size.

As you said earlier, this is mostly based on opinion. I don't think that Oars is too inconsistent to be used, or that his level of inconsistency makes scaling from Whitebeard the more preferable alternative.

What other options are there for establishing the consistency of Marineford's size? Do we have any good panels of the execution platform in comparison to the width of Marineford for example?

I thank everyone here for the support, but a calc group discussion thread is meant for calc group members.

I have no issues with the regular members who do calcs in here like Ryuga, Cin (if he joins) Stefano, Kobster, and anyone else that is knowledgeable about calcs + staff/ex staff members who do calcs, but regular members shouldn't be here.

Again, thanks for the support, but rules need to be enforced. Kudos (liked comments) and such is good, but messages are a no.

Thank you.

I do agree that Oars being very inconsistently drawn might make KingTempest's method more accurate in my mind, also his San Juan argument makes sense to me as well, but I also acknowledge that using Oars who has a confirmed height could potentially be just as valid

the reason why we're mentioning it is to point out that if the author is being treated as inconsistent with supplied numbers because they don't understand scaling then the number for Alabasta's river is potentially also unreliable because Oda just threw out a number without considering how large that would make Alabasta by comparison.

Forgive me, last time i will reply here. You can give me a warning or ban if you wish.

But i was looking at an OP earth size thread and i found this statement made by Damage. This same statement can be used to invalidate the usage of Oars jr. as a measuring stick considering the apparent inconsistency he constantly showcases, Even if Oda gives us a official height.

Forgive me, last time i will reply here. You can give me a warning or ban if you wish.

But i was looking at an OP earth size thread and i found this statement made by Damage. This same statement can be used to invalidate the usage of Oars jr. as a measuring stick considering the apparent inconsistency he constantly showcases, Even if Oda gives us a official height.
Isn't that the exact same situation as using Whitebeard as the basis for scaling Marineford?

The most important thing here is finding the consistency of Marineford, not just the characters Oars or Whitebeard. If we can get figures like 500+ m diameter and 3000+ m diameter for Marineford, then we need a way of confirming the more reasonable size instead of pointing out completely unrelated panels of Oars in an attempt to dismiss scaling from him.

Isn't that the exact same situation as using Whitebeard as the basis for scaling Marineford?

The most important thing here is finding the consistency of Marineford, not just the characters Oars or Whitebeard. If we can get figures like 500+ m diameter and 3000+ m diameter for Marineford, then we need a way of confirming the more reasonable size instead of pointing out completely unrelated panels of Oars in an attempt to dismiss scaling from him.

Finding the consistency of Both the characters height is essential for finding the most precise measurement for Marineford. They are the backbone of both calcs.

Now if we look at how both characters are drawn in all the panels they appear during the war. Whitebeard has never shown the erratic fluctuations in size that Oars jr. has demonstrated.

If we pay attention to the images shared with us earlier, Oars was displayed to be comparable to the size of the bay’s walls when he was laying down and when he stood up. When has Whitebeard ever shown to shift in size this drastically ?

@Donquixote_DeadPanky; again though, I don't think he's as inconsistent as you make him out to be.

Oars' hair is extremely big as you can tell by the panel on the left here. Even lying down on his front, he's going to be a prominent figure in the gap between the walls, and he's actually lower down than the top of the walls here.

Oars rising almost his full height (since he is missing a leg here) in both this page and this page look consistent to me.

I don't think Oars can be dismissed out of hand here. If you want to prove that Oars' height is too inconsistent to use, then prove it using pixelscaling and measuring instead of eyeballing it. Because right now Oars looks consistent enough to me.

EDIT: It's not like trying to scale based on Whitebeard's ship is perfect either. Here is another panel I've scaled, and using KingTempest's value of 103 m width for the ship, I get the diameter of Marineford to be this:

44.72135955 px = 103.99100547196 m

937 PX = 2178.81506975 m

I don't think Oars can be dismissed out of hand here. If you want to prove that Oars' height is too inconsistent to use, then prove it using pixelscaling and measuring instead of eyeballing it. Because right now Oars looks consistent enough to me.
Oars Calc 1.
Oars Calc 2.
Oars Calc 3.
Oars Calc 4.
Oars Calc 5.
EDIT: It's not like trying to scale based on Whitebeard's ship is perfect either. Here is another panel I've scaled, and using KingTempest's value of 103 m width for the ship, I get the diameter of Marineford to be this:

44.72135955 px = 103.99100547196 m

937 PX = 2178.81506975 m
I'd rather use this ship scaling than scaling to a giant.

Maybe Oars isn't the best option for scaling Marineford's size, but I believe one of the top-down perspectives that show the full width of Marineford is better to use; whether we're scaling one of the ships to Marineford, or the execution platform.

Maybe Oars isn't the best option for scaling Marineford's size, but I believe one of the top-down perspectives that show the full width of Marineford is better to use; whether we're scaling one of the ships to Marineford, or the execution platform.
So if we use the full Width of Marineford with the Moby Dick's width, this thread will be alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back