• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Making Doctor Who Great Again, Part 1.5 - Re:Cosmology/Tiering

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Continued from here. I'll just list the spoiler titles from that thread so that fully reading the previous thread won't be neccesary.

Again, big thanks to everyone who helped me with this, and sorry for the long wait.

N-Space's Continuum​

As I explained in the last post, the number of higher dimensions N-Space possesses is relatively inconsistent. However, after reviewing the subject thoroughly, I've come to believe that at least 30+ dimensions is the most reasonable number, as TV stories and novels frequently imply a number that exceeds 11/12 dimensions with no cap, and 37 dimensions is directly mentioned in one of the more prominent Doctor Who stories.

Additionally, N-Space's continuum has other layers separate (though related) to normal space-time and the Vortex (see N-Space's Adjacent Dimensions), including Hyperspace (occasionally, anyway), Warp Space and Sub-Space, that explicitly have their own quantitative dimensions outside of N-Space's own (Hyperspace in particular being 4-D).

That means Hyperverse level individual space-time continuua.

Lower numbers will just have to be treated on a case-by-case basis, which I'll address with great vigour in Part 2.

Universal Space-Time Vortex​

If you read my other post (see N-Space's Vortex - Size & What is The Vortex?), I've made it clear that the Vortex is dimensionally superior to the normal continuum and blatantly transcends space-time to a likely infinite degree, despite the fact that both the Ocean of Time (see N-Space - The Ocean of Time) and different O-regions of space-time contain all possible permutations of 4-D space-time (akin to a multiverse in and of itself).

This is supported by The Pirate Loop, in which 9th dimensional travel via reality warping is just a catalyst for achieving space-time travel by skimming off the surface of the Vortex like rocks on a lake, yet it's still a far inferior and less advanced form of travel than actual Vortex traversal. Keep in mind, this higher-dimensional drive system is explicitly superior to/more sophisticated than Hyperspace travel (understandably, considering that Hyperspace travel was commonplace amongst humanity 1,500 years prior to the novel).

The Black Void​

See Voids - The Black Void for some context.

Due to The Book of The Snowstorm (see those quotes here), we now have a consistent portrayal of The Black Void.

To make a long story short, it's essentially a comparatively vast ocean of unreality that surrounds N-Space. Lots of flotsam and jetsam exists in the Void (including unstable potential realities) like islands, these include Hollows (which I'll expand on below).

As I said in the last thread, The Black Void shares the nature of The Land of Fiction to an extend and vice-versa (see Voids - Land of Fiction). This is further cemented by the much older Special Occasions stories in Short Trips and Side Steps, in which The 4th Doctor and Romana view the end of the universe in the same manner as Nyssa and Adric view half the universe being consumed by entropy from The Black Void while in The Celestial Toyroom.

So, to make a long story short, TBV >> N-Space, Space-Time Vortex, and Hollows.

Hollows​

Hollows are a relatively new concept introduced by The Giggle. It's also been revealed that both The Land of Fiction (see Voids - Land of Fiction) and The Celestial Toyroom are Hollows.

To be honest, the only thing we can say about Hollows for certain (please read this relatively short overview for more context) is that they're empty, timeless (well, more like time irrelevant, but I digress), spaceless pseudo-dimensions, meaning whatever foreign matter/energy isn't actually bound by the laws of physics. For example, The Celestial Toymaker is entirely responsible for any substance and physics within The Toyroom.

Notably, these two Hollows (the only named ones, mind you) are both infinite, yet small compared to the universe, and are considered dimensions of imagination.

If we assume all Hollows are the same, then they'd be lesser than N-Space in size and overall reality (if that makes sense), but dimensionally superior to possibly even the Time Vortex. So Hyperverse level again.

Pre-Universe​

The non-palimpsest version of history (see The Pre-Universe - Lance Parkin's Cosmology) portrayed in Faction Paradox is effectively just N-Space but without proper structure, and therefore scales to the rating assigned to N-Space.

As I mentioned in the last thread (see The Pre-Universe - New/Missing Adventures), the Pre-Universe's form reality in Christmas on a Rational Planet is more like an infinite variety of flavours (with N-Space's reality being just 'a single flavour' by comparison), even if said realities conflict with each other. Every possibility (of which there are explicitly infinite) exists within the Pre-Universe, without being constrained by structure, physics, science, guiding principles or logic. It's utterly irrational.

The problem is, however, I have no idea what rating this would get. Considering that The Carnival Queen, who is literally the manifested form of the Pre-Universe's irrationality, derides N-Space physics as 'little' and 'mundane', I think it's safe to assume it at least far surpasses N-Space. And if we assume each version of reality is as vast as N-Space, the Pre-Universe would surpass N-Space by an order of infinity.

Multiverse/Omniverse​

As I've explained previously, the multiverse is constantly expanding, and has somehow already expanded to such a degree that universes can be divided into different hierarchies of infinity (see Type IV Multiverse - Number of Universes).

It's stated that the multiverse is a Tegmark Type IV structure in both The Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who and Wildthyme in Purple (see Type IV Multiverse - Bubble and Brane Cosmology/Wildthyme in Purple/Expanding Universes), which would qualify for Low 1-A based on what I remember. But, that's only one narrative source, and (as pointed out here) it's somewhat frequently contradicted by the sources that claim creation is composed of multiple multiverses (see Omniverse).

At the very least, it's apparent the multiverse transcends a singular universe to a degree that's similar to the difference between Low 2-C and Low 1-C, which (at least from memory) would still be Hyperverse level.

The omniverse, in turn, is composed of at least a finite number of multiverses (see Omniverse) that'd transcend a single, Hyperverse level, space-time continuum to a degree I'm not sure about.

Six-Fold Realm​

See The Six-Fold Realm.

Fairly simple.

The Six-Fold Realm is dimensionally superior to both the Time Vortex and multiverse (not omniverse, mind you).

Also, we know that The Very Fabric of Space and Time is a multiversal thing and interstitial time extends across the multiverse (see The Multiverse - Spiral Scratch & Type IV Multiverse - Very Fabric of Space and Time). The Lux Aeterna is the lattice that physically separates both space-time and interstitial time from the Six-Fold Realm, yet it exists on the same level (both are 11-D and grant Guardian of Time-level powers) and is small enough by comparison that it only exists at the heart of the Six-Fold Realm.

So it transcends both the multiverse's space-time and Time Vortices to a fairly decent degree.

Omiversal Vortex​

The Omniversal Vortex is essentially a significantly larger version of the Space-Time Vortex with a similar role, as Lampreys can use interstitial time (the space-time between instants of time, see N-Space's Vortex - Interstitial/Grannular Time).

On a multiversal scale, it physically keeps all the infinite realities of the multiverse intact and in check (see Space-Time Vortex -The Multiverse), while the Vortex across the omniverse extends to at least multiple separate multiverses, and is even theorised to be potentially responsible for the creation of different multiverses in the first place (see Space-Time Vortex - Spiral Scratch).

The Void Between Universes​

I've learned significantly more about The Void (see Voids - Interdimensional Spaces - The Void Between Universes) since the last thread, which I've documented here.

Most importantly, The Void isn't just an empty dimension. It's considered a more true Void and a sort of un-reality by comparison to non-realities like Hollows and The Black Void, both of which are (like I said before) also bereft of space-time and matter. This makes it infinitesimally small and immeasurably massive at the same time.

Combined with scale of The Void, Ultima Reality believes this is either Low 1-A or 1-A.

I okey with the Low 1-A ball

But wait, isn't the N-Space or Black Void High 1-B at least because of this?
Urizen's Wall
Outside in the Void, a constant blizzard reigned; but the small, small infinity of that one universe was kept safe and sound inside a crystal sphere, a crystal sphere which was made of an infinity of crystal spheres. A structure of great complexity and infinite width, for which reasons it was also infinitely intelligent. But the same billion globes which guarded the world from the outside, the same billion crystal balls which guarded the secret ways to move in and out, and withheld them from most, were also a billion glass eyes, looking in. And Lord Yog, the Key and the Gate, the outer skin of the Universe, desired more than anything to know the inside. Not to invade it, not to destroy it or conquer it — but simply to see and experience the lives of the strange beings whose existence it was its own sword duty to safeguard. And more than once, it had given in to that desire, when it had felt fault lines in the other layers of the cosmic onion — fault lines through which it might squeeze. Rifts in space-time, gabs in Urizen’s Wall, a star alignment with a particular alchemical effect. But a lesser infinity could not contain an infinity great enough to encompass it; there was another paradox. So Yog had had no choice but to shatter himself — and let the shards descend. Just small ones. Fine ones, a fine white mist of crystalline splinters, still carrying the infinite cold of the Void Beyond Everything. Snow that couldn’t melt. And in times past, those splinters of reality’s rear-view mirror had found terrible things to reflect within; rewriting and retconning themselves makeshift histories, the better to forget the tragedy of their creation, in the way of mad gods everywhere, these aberrations had become enemies to lifekind, eldritch gods of the worst sort, withering everything which their desire for knowledge touched. Some denizens of the Universe had come to be sworn to fight them at every turn. Certain Sisters of Wepwawet, for example. But that had been a long time ago. And Yog, the real Yog, had seen it all. Seen it all from the outside, powerless as ever, and wept. Wept at his folly, wept at its consequences, wept at the fate of its children; wept as the greatest and evilest of its warped reflections destroyed itself in futile vengeance; wept, too, at the horrors of the Cosmic War. A god of glass, a god of frozen tears; all-seeing, all-knowing — everywhere and nowhere — yet quite unable to do a thing about anything he witnessed. All that had changed quite a short time ago as gods reckoned these things. There had been a breach. One of the surviving Archons, long thought dead, had crawled out of the woodwork, and personally put a dent in Urizen’s Wall, quite possibly by mistake. Which one was not a question terribly likely to be answered with any certainty; whether it was a blunder or a crime, few of that species would admit to it. (Although, Claret said, it was probably Mortimus. It seemed like a Mortimus thing to do.) It was a thin crack, barely perceivable, but some impossible things can fit through the eye of a needle as easily as others might cross infinite distances with a single wing-beat. Yog had not been alone in taking that chance to return to the Universe; he had not even been the first. But he had been more careful than most. He had not rushed headfirst into a universe which he changed without him, and whose infinite complexities, in his newly fragmented state, he could no longer grasp.

For reasons known to very few, the structure of the ordered Universe was distinctly onion-like. Spheres within spheres. The outer layer had always been a great, crystalline, hyperdimensional sphere, a sphere which was also an infinite swarm of infinite spheres, a frothing, tumbling, living foam of celestial globes flocking together like soap-bubbles. That was what you saw if you managed almost to leave the Universe, and perhaps that was why there were those who, unaware that they had stopped just one step beyond the true exit, believed that the Multiverse looked like rings upon rings of identical planets. For the spheres were eyes, and the eyes were mirrors, and the mirrors reflected your own past. It all made sense to Rich, and not so much to Coloth, but the great secret of his relatively happy existence — under the circumstances — was that he never particularly expected the world around him to make sense, and did not begrudge it its frequent failures to do so. Beyond the wall of spheres was the Great Black Void, and the rings of flotsam and jetsam which surrounded the core, ordered universe — the sea of Void upon which the dream-realms, the unstable what-ifs, the oxbows and the pockets were islands. That was where the Library stood. And other things, too. But the crystal spheres looked… broken. The illusion of three dimensions did not do it justice, but there seemed, somehow, to be a gap there; one great snowglobe missing, or an infinity, perhaps. Where it had been torn away, jagged shards were left, like the dying stem of a plucked flower. They had no time to examine the matter, and Rich was almost thankful for that daunting sight, which made it all the easier for him to slip back into the Black — — but something very, very strange was going on, of that, there could be no doubt.
-The Book of the Snowstorm

The black Void contains infinity sphere (each sphere within another sphere), with the difference of sphere being compared to onion layers with an infinitely hyperdimensional size difference.

I okey with the Low 1-A ball

But wait, isn't the N-Space or Black Void High 1-B at least because of this?

The black Void contains infinity sphere (each sphere within another sphere), with the difference of sphere being compared to onion layers with an infinitely hyperdimensional size difference.
Unless I'm interpreting it wrong, the quote doesn't specify that each larger infinity on the scale is dimensionally superior to each smaller infinity, just that they're physically larger.

It seems like it's just transfinite number stacking, albeit on a hyperdimensional object.

"The outer layer had always been a great, crystalline, hyperdimensional sphere, a sphere which was also an infinite swarm of infinite spheres, a frothing, tumbling, living foam of celestial globes flocking together like soap-bubbles"

I think the last sentence is talking about how infinite spheres are parallel hence "flocking together like a soap-bubble"

"The outer layer had always been a great, crystalline, hyperdimensional sphere, a sphere which was also an infinite swarm of infinite spheres, a frothing, tumbling, living foam of celestial globes flocking together like soap-bubbles"

I think the last sentence is talking about how infinite spheres are parallel hence "flocking together like a soap-bubble"
It says onion like, more like layers

Unless I'm interpreting it wrong, the quote doesn't specify that each larger infinity on the scale is dimensionally superior to each smaller infinity, just that they're physically larger.

It seems like it's just transfinite number stacking, albeit on a hyperdimensional object.
It is still infinitely larger than the previous one, 🤨, the library, uses the same Hyperdimensional thing and describes it quite explicitly

As the name implies, the place is full of books. Shelves upon shelves of them, infinitely tall, infinitely wide. Practically no one remembers where it came from, but I’m something of an exception in that regard.

Before that part that you cut is this, clearly says that the sphere exists one within the other, not in parallel
For reasons known to very few, the structure of the ordered Universe was distinctly onion-like. Spheres within spheres

Before that part that you cut is this, clearly says that the sphere exists one within the other, not in parallel
i mean, yes, they are one within the other.
But they can still be parallel. Like a Multiverse can contain infinite parallel universes.

Anyway, I could 100% be wrong so don't take any of this super seriously.

It's not just that something has to be infinitely larger, each layer has to be in a transcendentally higher spatio-temporal dimension than the last one.

They don't say that's why the Library is hyperdimensional, or give that as the definition of hyperdimensionality. Hyperdimensional just means > 3-D in most cases.

Back