• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Making a rule for Gfycat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikimarox2

He/Him
Good morning.

As some of you may know, gfycat has started using a new bot that detects if said Gif is SFW or NSFW. Due to this, the bot will sometimes label SFW evidence in our profiles as ****, and sends it to its sister site, redgifs.

The problem with this, is that redgifs is specifically made for ****. If you click a redgif gif, then the site you will be sent to will be filled with ****. Obviously, that is a problem.

As such, I propose we make a new rule for it. All the gfycats that are used in the profiles should stay, as long as they aren't labeled as ****, but it should be against the rules to use gfycat in the future due to the chances of bot labeling it as ****.

There are simply much safer options out there, such as imgur.

Tl;Dr Gfycat sometimes labels SFW posts as **** wrongfully, we should make a rule against using it in the future.

I think I'll just stick to using YouTube in the future from now on. But the anime stuff might be a bit tricky due to bullshit copyright laws, especially considering that you can't go frame-by-frame on imgur.

FFS I should have uploaded my vids on YT as a backup first all those years ago

Last edited:
There are simply much safer options out there, such as imgur.

Tl;Dr Gfycat sometimes labels SFW posts as **** wrongfully, we should make a rule against using it in the future.
Regular Imgur user here. I agree with using this site for our image hosting needs. Another option is to simply upload the required gifs to vsbattles itself and use that link. It's what I do with all images/gifs I use in profiles that I edit/make.

Regular Imgur user here. I agree with using this site for our image hosting needs. Another option is to simply upload the required gifs to vsbattles itself and use that link. It's what I do with all images/gifs I use in profiles that I edit/make.
Agreed.

Is somebody willing to write a draft for an Editing Rules text?

It's a pretty funny problem but yeah probably shouldn't use gfycat if it's gonna do that

Weird problem but yeah, this seems like the only real solution. I agree.

Agreed.

Is somebody willing to write a draft for an Editing Rules text?
Due to issues with Gfycat, we recommend users instead upload images & gifs to the image hosting site Imgur (link), which has proven to be a reliable image hosting service, and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the needed profile or blog or thread. You can also upload the images & gifs on VS Battles Wiki itself (link) and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the profile you are making or editing. Note: We especially recommend using images & gifs hosted on Imgur or VS Battles Wiki for use on threads on the VS Battles Forum rather than other sites which may prove unsafe or unreliable.

Soldier Blue's suggested wording mostly seems fine to me. Thank you for helping out.

However, Fandom seems to have prevented hotlinking to their images from other sites such as this forum, so maybe we should modify the wording and add another rule based on that in conjunction?

Soldier Blue's suggested wording mostly seems fine to me. Thank you for helping out.
No worries.

However, Fandom seems to have prevented hotlinking to their images from other sites such as this forum, so maybe we should modify the wording and add another rule based on that in conjunction?
Well, that's a bummer.

Here:

Due to issues with Gfycat, we recommend users instead upload images & gifs to the image hosting site Imgur (link), which has proven to be a reliable image hosting service, and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the needed profile or blog or thread. You can also upload the images & gifs on VS Battles Wiki itself (link) and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the VS Battles profile or blog you are making or editing. Note: Due to Fandom seemingly preventing hotlinking to their images from other sites, such as this forum, we especially recommend using images & gifs hosted on Imgur for use on threads on the VS Battles Forum rather than Wikia sites or other sites which may prove unsafe or unreliable.

Due to problems with Gfycat, we recommend users instead upload images & gifs to Imgur (link), or other reliable image hosting services, and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the needed profile or blog or thread. You can also upload the images & gifs to the VS Battles Wiki itself (link) and then use the URL of the uploaded media in the VS Battles profile or blog you are making or editing.
Thank you. I am rather dizzy due to overwork and too many things going on at the same time at the moment, but is it fine if I add the above modified text to our Editing Rules page?
Due to Fandom seemingly preventing hotlinking to their images from other sites, such as the VS Battles Forum, we recommend using images & gifs hosted in Imgur, or other reliable image hosting services, for use in discussion threads there, rather than Fandom wikis or other sites which may prove unsafe or unreliable.
I can also add the above rule to our Discussion Rules page.

I have updated our editing rules:

I also updated our already existing discussion rule for the relevant subject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back