• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Luke Skywalker vs Kylo Ren

I'm going to go with Kylo Ren because of his vastly greater skills in telekinesis and Force Deflection at this point.

I don't know who the more skilled duellist is, but Kylo Ren's vastly superior skills in TK and Deflection should give him the win.

The guy deflected lightsaber strikes from Rey while severely injured and terribly weakened in the Force. I imagine a fully healthy and properly focused Kylo Ren would have less trouble with Luke.

RapidMotorcycle19 said:
Blockinh attacks from Rey isnt that big of a fest tbh
Force Deflection perfected to a degree whereby the user can deflect lightsaber strikes is something truly special. Even among Legends Force users, it was a rare ability which was exclusive to the absolute top tiers.

The fact that Kylo Ren can pull that off just goes to show how well developed his Force abilities really are. And keep in mind that his training was actually incomplete.

She is an untrained and unrefined lightsaber duelist, she really isn't a good measure, nor is it by any means a good showing for Ren.

Regardless, I'll place my two cents in. Man it's been about two years since I've debated on a Star Wars thread outside of comic vine.

While parrying lightsaber strikes in an injured state is impressive, losing to an individual who had never utilized a lightsaber before is still a rather poor showing. While Kylo Ren has the advantage as a force practitioner, I consider one's dueling prowess to hold a greater significance between battles regarding force sensitives generally. ESB Luke has impressed me considerably more as a duelist, the ESB novelization makes it clear that Luke had performed quite well against Vader as a duelist, and had even impressed the Sith Lord regardless of Vader holding back. Now, while I find Luke being capable of telekinetically lifting his X-Wing from the thick swamp of Dagobah to be more impressive than anything Ren has done, it doesn't translate quite well into a battle as Luke did require some time and focus in order to lift it, and Kylo Ren still possesses more refinement and control. I would say that Luke takes the majority 6/10. It's certainly close.

Are you forgetting that Kylo Ren was seriously wounded when he went into that fight? And he still fought mostly evenly against Rey and even was outdoing her at the start?

And as I sad above, Force Deflection perfected to a point that one can deflect lightsaber strikes with one's bare hands is a rare ability. And Kylo Ren pulled it off while seriously wounded and weakened. That and his Force Stasis ability just go to show how well developed his abilities are compared to Empire Strikes Back Luke, who had difficulty lifting an X-wing.

The Mysterious Stranger - Delta- said:
She is an untrained and unrefined lightsaber duelist, she really isn't a good measure, nor is it by any means a good showing for Ren.
Regardless, I'll place my two cents in. Man it's been about two years since I've debated on a Star Wars thread outside of comic vine.

While parrying lightsaber strikes in an injured state is impressive, losing to an individual who had never utilized a lightsaber before is still a rather poor showing. While Kylo Ren has the advantage as a force practitioner, I consider one's dueling prowess to hold a greater significance between battles regarding force sensitives generally. ESB Luke has impressed me considerably more as a duelist, the ESB novelization makes it clear that Luke had performed quite well against Vader as a duelist, and had even impressed the Sith Lord regardless of Vader holding back. Now, while I find Luke being capable of telekinetically lifting his X-Wing from the thick swamp of Dagobah to be more impressive than anything Ren has done, it doesn't translate quite well into a battle as Luke did require some time and focus in order to lift it, and Kylo Ren still possesses more refinement and control. I would say that Luke takes the majority 6/10. It's certainly close.

You dont have to be lightsaber duelest to be good with a lightsaber. thats hockpockey ingrained in us by the prequels yet constantly shown to be wrong

Luke was capable of facing off one of the greatest Duelist of his Era without any formal lightsaber training whatsoever

Rey isn't specifically an amazing lightsaber duelist but she is a great fighter Generally

However, this isn't an anti-thing for your comment

i just wanted to point out that Ren isn't nearly as bad as many say.

Swordsmanship I agree is definitely a factor and you make an extremely plausible and concrete reason for why Luke might win

Luke was given very basic instruction regarding his lightsaber training, and of course he had received training from Yoda albeit it did not pertain to dueling. Regardless, this doesn't really provide me with much credence. She has only dueled with Ren so this is hardly anything to go off of.

My predominate issue with this pertains to Ren's dueling capabilities, which are still fairly unimpressive at the moment. Ren certainly has the edge regarding his force prowess, but nothing he has done currently indicates he is leading as a duelist here. His use of force stasis and force deflection is quite impressive, these are reasons as to why I agree that he is a more refined force practitioner.

Edit: Oh indeed, I know many like to heavily lowball Ren. It isn't my intention though. I tend to heavily emphasis lightsaber proficiency within the context of these fights.

Edit: Oh indeed, I know many like to heavily lowball Ren. It isn't my intention though. I tend to heavily emphasis lightsaber proficiency within the context of these fights.
It's refreshing to see someone genuinely arguing against Ren without insulting and downplaying him.

Kylo's skill with his lightsaber is poor. Luke, on the other hand, is a far finer swordsman, being able to even fight with Darth Vader, managing to harm him at the end of the fight. While Kylo's TK might be a bit better, Luke's is nowhere near as weak as it should be for Kylo to ragdoll him. You see, he quaked a star destroyer. Anyway, going with Luke here.

Soldier Blue said:
It's refreshing to see someone genuinely arguing against Ren without insulting and downplaying him.
Same tbh. I think Kylo is a far more interesting character than most give him credit for, on that note.

Back