• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Low 6-B Tournament "Carve your own Legend" Round 5 (Ash Ketchum vs Mario)

First_Witch

VS Battles
Retired
nb8FqRH.png

Welcome welcome, to the tournament of heroes and warriors!
Follow along the fates of 16 remarkable
individuals from across space and time,
in this tournament of glory and honor!

In this glorious Round, on the Left: Ash Ketchum (Gen 4 team)! On the Right: Mario!

0VAIUK8.png

HZk3U3x.png

Ok...not only outnumbered, Mario's getting outlasted APwise.
His Power-Ups that grant him the mentioned "comparable to bowser"-durability are time-limited (Giant Mushroom, Super Star, etc) while the Pokémons can always exert this much AP...

Think this is one-sided, but Mario supporters always remind me of something I forget and maybe this is also one of those times lol

Ok...not only outnumbered, Mario's getting outlasted APwise.
Ash is 2.65 Teratons while Mario is 2.7 teratons so he's slightly stronger.
His Power-Ups that grant him the mentioned "comparable to bowser"-durability are time-limited (Giant Mushroom, Super Star, etc) while the Pokémons can always exert this much AP...
Not all of them are, the Invincibility Leaf and the Invincibility Bell don't have a time limit and Mario can just pull out another Giant Mushroom or Super Star once the power up runs out with his bottomless gloves if he needs too.

What's stopping Mario from just teleporting to Ash with the P-wing or Warp Whistle and one-shoting him?

I don't think Mario really is the type to do that?
He's also not gonna let Ash keep throwing out Pokemon. Mario is smart enough to see Ash throwing out his Pokemon and get close to stop him from throwing out more.
Plus there's Ash's MFTL+ reaction speed
He's still not gonna be able to fight Mario in close range who can easily beat him in CQC and knock away or catch any Pokemon he tries to throw out.

He's also not gonna let Ash keep throwing out Pokemon. Mario is smart enough to see Ash throwing out his Pokemon and get close to stop him from throwing out more.
Ash typically only deploys one Pokémon at a time, so Mario would need to get past Ash's first few Pokemon to even attempt this maneuver,
Plus, even if Mario attempts to do so at the beginning, he would still have to contend with the ones already on the battlefield, most notably Pikachu who's always in the open.
He's still not gonna be able to fight Mario in close range who can easily beat him in CQC and knock away or catch any Pokemon he tries to throw out.
Pikachu has Quick Attack, which basically lets him perception blitz Mario for an attack, and Static, which gives him a chance of paralyzing anyone that strikes him.
Plus, if Ash manages to escape, he'd consider it a serious fight and send out and command all of his Pokemon at once, which basically dooms Mario.

Ash typically only deploys one Pokémon at a time, so Mario would need to get past Ash's first few Pokemon at first to even attempt this maneuver,
Plus, even if attempts to do so at the beginning, he would still have to contend with the ones already on the battlefield, most notably Pikachu who's always in the open
The SBA distance is gonna be Kilometers so he can teleport to Ash while Pikachu tries to close the distance between him and Mario, leaving Ash open for Mario after teleporting to him.
Mario can use Zone speed to amp his own perception to avoid and counter attack Pikachu.
Mario resists Paralysis Inducement so Static isnt gonna affect him.
Plus, if Ash manages to escape, he'd consider it a serious fight and send out and command all of his on hand Pokemon at once, which basically dooms Mario
That's gonna be very hard for Ash to escape considering Mario's large skill and experience advantage. And even if he does and tries to throw out more Pokeballs while close, Mario can easily go into Zone speed and catch the balls or knock them far away from the battlefield.

The battlefield is 200 meters maximum, just for clarities sake. Its a rule of the tournament

The SBA distance is gonna be Kilometers so he can teleport to Ash while Pikachu tries to close the distance between him and Mario, leaving Ash open for Mario after teleporting to him.
That's kinda assuming Ash would start with Pikachu, when he's more likely to start with Staraptor if he doesn't know where Mario is, or even just wait for him to actually appear.
Mario can use Zone speed to amp his own perception to avoid and counter attack Pikachu.
Pikachu can also double his speed with agility or just go for any of his AoE moves
Mario resists Paralysis Inducement so Static isnt gonna affect him.
That seems more magical than like electrical paralysis, but fair nuff
That's gonna be very hard for Ash to escape considering Mario's large skill and experience advantage. And even if he does and tries to throw out more Pokeballs while close, Mario can easily go into Zone speed and catch the balls or knock them far away from the battlefield.
Technically Ash has a ginormous skill advantage since he's one of the very few characters that got EG from pure skill
Pikachu can open Pokeballs, so knocking them away ain't a good idea, plus if this is Mario's first attack he'd have no idea what Pokeballs are and what they can do.

That's kinda assuming Ash would start with Pikachu, when he's more likely to start with Staraptor if he doesn't know where Mario is, or even just wait for him to actually appear.
SBA ensures they'll see each other when the fight starts and Mario will not be hiding or anything. It's moreso that the P-wing takes Mario up than drops him right next to Ash immediately.
Agility doesn't have a set multiplier and Mario can avoid Pikachu with Zone speed until it wears off. Mario can Zone speed out of the way of the AOE or perfectly guard it to take no damage.
Pikachu can open Pokeballs, so knocking them away ain't a good idea
If Pikachu goes to open the Pokeballs he's gonna have to leave Ash in a 1v1 with Mario which wouldn't end well for him. Mario can also just catch them and put them into hammerspace.
plus if this is Mario's first attack he'd have no idea what Pokeballs are and what they can do.
Theres a very good chance that Mario sees Ash throwing out one of his Pokémon if he doesn't lead with Pikachu and he can quickly assume that Pokeballs either create or summon monsters.
How combat applicable is the Zee egg?
All Mario has to do is throw it out and the Zeekeeper is summoned. Tho it's optional equipment so I don't think he has it here.

SBA ensures they'll see each other when the fight starts and Mario will not be hiding or anything. It's moreso that the P-wing takes Mario up than drops him right next to Ash immediately.
Looking at the P-wing clip, I don't think it's the most combat applicable case of teleportation, since he's kinda suspended mid-air for awhile.
Agility doesn't have a set multiplier and Mario can avoid Pikachu with Zone speed until it wears off. Mario can Zone speed out of the way of the AOE or perfectly guard it to take no damage.
It's an accepted multiplier based on Mystery dungeon where it says that the Pokemon's speed has "doubled" and lets the Pokemon attack up to 4 times before the opponent depending on how many times they use it. Even its anime potrayal makes Pikachu vanish from his equals' sights. (Agility also doesn't wear off, it's permanent)
Zone Speed only increases his perception speed, so it won't help in evading AoE and even if he manages to pull a perfect guard, that would still get him away from Ash.
If Pikachu goes to open the Pokeballs he's gonna have to leave Ash in a 1v1 with Mario which wouldn't end well for him. Mario can also just catch them and put them into hammerspace.
Ash kinda has a stupid reaction speed advantage, so him getting hit would a lot harder than you're making it seem, and I don't think Mario has ever used his HS like that before.
Theres a very good chance that Mario sees Ash throwing out one of his Pokémon if he doesn't lead with Pikachu and he can quickly assume that Pokeballs either create or summon monsters.
If Ash throws out a Pokemon, Mario would be going up against a 2v1, and 3 of his Gen 4 mons have priority moves, so not the best look.

Last edited:
Looking at the P-wing clip, I don't think it's the most combat applicable case of teleportation, since he's kinda suspended mid-air for awhile.
Mario is only in the air for like two seconds before being teleported to the flag, I don't see why that wouldn't be combat-applicable.
It's an accepted multiplier based on Mystery dungeon where it says that the Pokemon's speed has "doubled" and lets the Pokemon attack up to 4 times before the opponent depending on how many times they use it.
We treat Mystery Dungeon as a different canon from the anime and game due to the canon split so that wouldn't apply to anime Pokémon.
Zone Speed only increases his perception speed, so it won't help in evading AoE and even if he manages to pull a perfect guard, that would still get him away from Ash.
Zone speed would give him extra time to react and avoid the attack. And if Mario is close to Ash would the AoE not hit him too?
Ash kinda has a stupid reaction speed advantage, so him getting hit would a lot harder than you're making it seem,
Ash is gonna be infinite speed due to SBA so his speeds are getting equalized to Mario's.
and I don't think Mario has ever used his HS like that before.
Usually, most extra items Mario grabs are instantly put in his HS.
If Ash throws out a Pokemon, Mario would be going up against a 2v1, and 3 of his Gen 4 mons have priority moves, so not the best look.
Ngl I think Mario just taking down all of Ash's Pokémon is pretty viable. Mario has experience fighting numerous bosses with differing attack patterns and is capable of learning and adapting to avoid and counter them on the spot and I don't think the Mons have anything Mario hasn't seen and dealt with before. Mario can reflect, block, or avoid all of the Mons attacks with his experience and skill in dealing with similar and much more varied opponents. Mario resists Statistics Reduction and Status Effect Inducement so any stat moves aren't gonna help here. Even if Ash's Mons harm Mario, he can easily heal himself back to full with his many mushrooms to outlast Ash's Mons. Eventually, Ash will run out of Pokemon and get cooked by Mario in the 1v1. So unless Ash sends out all his Mons at once, Mario can probably beat them all in 1v1's and even 2v1's.

Agility doesn't have a set multiplier
It does. Each time buff's used it upgrades .5x until the max of 4x when used 6 times (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x, 3.5x and 4x). The multiplier will be there until Pikachu faints or gets switched out.

It does. Each time buff's used it upgrades .5x until the max of 4x when used 6 times (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x, 3.5x and 4x). The multiplier will be there until Pikachu faints or gets switched out.
  1. This is anime Pokemon which we consider a different continuity from the Games so game multipliers don't apply.
  2. I'm pretty sure this currently isn't accepted on profiles but I'm not 100% sure.

Pretty sure the canon-split will keep the games as like the baseline canon, so everything in the games would still apply to the anime or manga

Even if we consider speed stat amps, Pokemon speed only decides priority and doesn't affect an opponent's ability to avoid attacks.

Then if we bring it to what we're doing here, it is making the attacker faster, meaning yeah, he's dodging easier.

Then if we bring it to what we're doing here, it is making the attacker faster, meaning yeah, he's dodging easier.
A high speed stat doesn't increase evasiveness so I wouldn't say so. A Pokemon with a heavily amped speed stat can still easily be hit by moves of unamped Pokemon.

Mario is only in the air for like two seconds before being teleported to the flag, I don't see why that wouldn't be combat-applicable.
I was more like talking about him still being suspended mid-air AFTER being teleported, kinda takes away the surprise element.
Zone speed would give him extra time to react and avoid the attack.
Mostly depends on how big the AoE is, like I don't think extra time is gonna help against this.
Ash is gonna be infinite speed due to SBA so his speeds are getting equalized to Mario's.
Mario would probably be equalized to the Pokemon here, since that's what this key's speed rating is, but even then Ash can regularly dodge their attacks
Usually, most extra items Mario grabs are instantly put in his HS.
I mean, lad doesn't do that with enemy projectiles, like hammers and stuff

I'll talk about the skill stuff in next post

I was more like talking about him still being suspended mid-air AFTER being teleported, kinda takes away the surprise element.
He's only in the air for like a second after teleporting so I don't think it's that much of a problem.
Mostly depends on how big the AoE is, like I don't think extra time is gonna help against this.
Mario can go up several stories and even far into the sky in a single jump. He can easily use the Zone speed time jump over the AoE and land back down when it's gone.
Mario would probably be equalized to the Pokemon here, since that's what this key's speed rating is, but even then Ash can regularly dodge their attacks
This would then put Mario at Ftl while Ash is Infinite which doesn't seem fair.
I mean, lad doesn't do that with enemy projectiles, like hammers and stuff
I'm like 65% sure that theirs a Mario party minigame where the characters grab an item and put it into HS right after. I'm go looking for it rq.

Ngl I think Mario just taking down all of Ash's Pokémon is pretty viable. Mario has experience fighting numerous bosses with differing attack patterns and is capable of learning and adapting to avoid and counter them on the spot and I don't think the Mons have anything Mario hasn't seen and dealt with before. Mario can reflect, block, or avoid all of the Mons attacks with his experience and skill in dealing with similar and much more varied opponents. Mario resists Statistics Reduction and Status Effect Inducement so any stat moves aren't gonna help here. Even if Ash's Mons harm Mario, he can easily heal himself back to full with his many mushrooms to outlast Ash's Mons. Eventually, Ash will run out of Pokemon and get cooked by Mario in the 1v1. So unless Ash sends out all his Mons at once, Mario can probably beat them all in 1v1's and even 2v1's.
I'd say the same applies to Ash. He's been in 711 episodes and in nearly all of them he's faced a wide variety of enemies with varying powersets and strengths.
Ash has pretty much seen everything Mario can throw at him, especially since Mario is kinda forced into only using "Invincibility" Items for the entire fight.

Not that I think Mario's experience is gonna help too much with how unpredictable and skilled Ash is,
At this point Ash has defeated numerous gym leaders and made notable progress in several Pokemon League Tournaments. And as such Ash has fought some of the toughest Pokemon trainers the world has to offer, each with their own unique strategies. This includes:
However, these accomplishments don't even scratch the surface of the actual skill showings he's displayed.
For instance, his battle against Olympia, where by timing the duration of Meowstic's Future Sight, Ash managed to turn both the attacks and abilities of Olympia's Pokemon against her. In another instance, Ash's observation skills and quick thinking allowed him to quickly figure out Rose's battle strategy and turn it against him.
Furthermore, after observing Paul's AoE Thunder strategy once, Ash had a perfect counter prepared for its next usage.
And when faced with Aegislash's split-second form change, Ash instantly devised a plan to increase Pikachu's mobility and lock its form change.
In addition to this, Ash excels at utilizing feints and misdirection, using ineffective attacks to distract his foes before setting up devastating counterattacks.

Ash is also adept at using the environment to his advantage during battles. Leveling battlefields to hinder his opponents' movements, using his opponent's sand attack to obscure his movement, blinding opponents with sunlight before launching an attack and perhaps his greatest skill feat, where he calculates the exact trajectory for Oshawott's water gun to ricochet between multiple rocks and send its schalop airborne.

Plus, Ash's unpredictability adds an additional layer of diffculty to dealing with em, to the point that Clemont claims that trying to use planned strategy against Ash is futile.
Ash has even invented a new move, one that both attacks and defends, counter shield, that was even later used by Leon, the world champion.

TL;DR: Ash really skilled and is going to be outmaneuvering Mario at every turn.

Ain't Mario's Statistics Reduction and Status Effect Inducement Resistance Optional Equipment? Not that it matters, Ash has 0 debuff moves in this team.
Ash typically finishes fights by relentlessly attacking the opponent, leaving them no room to recover, before finishing them with one of his big moves.
His approach will leave Mario little room to breathe, let alone use his healing Mushrooms effectively.

I think you're underestimating Ash's Pokemon quite a bit here. Considering that these are trained Pokemon and Wild Pokemon are all already Gifted in combat via being able to consistently fight the likes of Machamp which have mastered all martial arts. Plus they're definitely more versatile than they appear.
Pikachu
A lot of stuff. Static is Pikachu's ability, which grants him a chance of paralyzing foes that physically strike him, even those typically immune to electric attacks, like a motor drive Electivire. Now for his actual moveset, starting with Thunderbolt, which has enough electrical power that with a single bolt managed to unintentionally recharge a mech that previously required being plugged directly into a hydro electric dam and whose use caused a blackout across a town. Its range is also impressive, as it managed to tag a hot air balloon even after it was sent flying beyond the horizon. Pikachu has even used Thunderbolt once to dodge a Z-Move. Plus, Pikachu can get a power amp by absorbing his own thunderbolt, somehow. He can dodge attacks from multiple opponents simultaneously with Quick Attack, which even lets him run on his own electricity. Iron Tail is Pikachu's main CQC move, but it's also capable of deflecting projectiles. Agility increases Pikachu's speed to the point that he disappears from his opponent's sights. Thunder is just a more powerful version of Thunderbolt. And Volt Tackle is so powerful that it essentially one-shot a fully healed Regice, who had earlier taken multiple super effective iron tails.
Furthermore, by combining Volt Tackle and Iron Tail, can essentially attack for double his AP (Pikachu has shown more combo moves, but this is the only one he used in combat)
Staraptor
Staraptor, is almost always flying in fights and while Mario can certainly leap to impressive heights, his mobility mid-air pales in comparison to Staraptor's aerial prowess. Staraptor has Quick Attack and can even use it to dodge incoming attacks. Close Combat lets Staraptor to hold its own against Fighting Types in CQC. And it can halt adversaries in their tracks and repel incoming projectiles with Gust. Furthermore, by infusing the speed of Quick Attack into Aerial Ace, Staraptor can double its AP while retaining Quick Attack's blitz speed.
Torterra
Torterra is bulky lad with quite a versatile moveset. Its Razor Leaf is extremely sharp and can explode on contact, somehow. Energy Ball is an AoE bomb attack. Synthesis allows Torterra to absorb sunlight, letting it recover its health and energy reserves even in the midst of battle. Rock Climb raising up a pillar of earth underneath its foe before charging up the pillar to slam into them, against Mario this could be used to keep him away from Ash and/or limit his mouvement. Leaf Storm is just kinda just a strong attack. The dealbreaker however is its ability to permanently bolster its power by consuming its own energy ball, basically doubling its power. (a.k.a x2 over Mario's AP n Dura)
Infernape
The powerhouse of the Gen 4 Team, possesses the Blaze ability, which enhances the potency of its fire-type attacks when it's pushed to its limits. However, Infernape's blaze is much more powerful than normal, being able to turn stomps around. Its fire power can even be bolstered by being struck with fire-type attacks, it doesn't even need to make contact with Infernape itself, its flamethrower being in contact with another fire move resulted in it being amplified, pretty big since I'm pretty sure Mario tends to use fire attacks. In terms of mobility and evasion, Infernape's dig lets it tunnel underground and evade any hits coming its way, plus it can be used as a way to hide Infernape's mouvement or even protect Ash, as shown here.
Buizel, Gible and probably Gliscor would most likely lose in a 1v1 against Mario, but these 4, especially Pikachu, could definitely beat him.
He's only in the air for like a second after teleporting so I don't think it's that much of a problem.
Kinda think that's enough time for Ash to get a bit away from Mario, or at least far enough that Mario would have to get past a Pokemon to get to Ash.
This would then put Mario at Ftl while Ash is Infinite which doesn't seem fair.
AoE can deal with Ash Plus it's either that or Pokemon get statued by Mario

Last edited:
I'd say the same applies to Ash. He's been in 711 episodes and in nearly all of them he's faced a wide variety of enemies with varying powersets and strengths.
Ash has pretty much seen everything Mario can throw at him, especially since Mario is kinda forced into only using "Invincibility" Items for the entire fight.

Not that I think Mario's experience is gonna help too much with how unpredictable and skilled Ash is,
At this point Ash has defeated numerous gym leaders and made notable progress in several Pokemon League Tournaments. And as such Ash has fought some of the toughest Pokemon trainers the world has to offer, each with their own unique strategies. This includes:
However, these accomplishments don't even scratch the surface of the actual skill showings he's displayed.
For instance, his battle against Olympia, where by timing the duration of Meowstic's Future Sight, Ash managed to turn both the attacks and abilities of Olympia's Pokemon against her. In another instance, Ash's observation skills and quick thinking allowed him to quickly figure out Rose's battle strategy and turn it against him.
Furthermore, after observing Paul's AoE Thunder strategy once, Ash had a perfect counter prepared for its next usage. Additionally, after seeing Aegislash take a split second to form change, Ash instantly devised a plan to increase Pikachu's mobility and lock its form change.
In addition to this, Ash excels at utilizing feints and misdirection, using ineffective attacks to distract his foes before setting up devastating counterattacks.

Ash is also adept at using the environment to his advantage during battles. Leveling battlefields to hinder his opponents' movements, using his opponent's sand attack to obscure his movement, blinding opponents with sunlight before launching an attack and perhaps his greatest skill feat, where he calculates the exact trajectory for Oshawott's water gun to to ricochet between multiple rocks and send its schalop airborne.

Plus, Ash's unpredictability adds an additional layer of diffculty in dealing with em, to the point that Clemont claims that trying to use planned strategy against Ash is futile.
Ash has even invented a new move, one that both attacks and defends, counter shield, that was even later used by Leon, the world champion.

TL;DR: Ash really skilled and is going to be outmaneuvering Mario at every turn.
Mario while not as much of a strategist is also plenty skilled:
There's more I can go into but this is everything I can think of off the top of my head.
Ash typically finishes fights by relentlessly attacking the opponent, leaving them no room to recover, before finishing them with one of his big moves.
His approach will leave Mario little room to breathe, let alone use his healing Mushrooms effectively.
Mario doesn't need to fully eat a mushroom to use them, all he has to do is touch them so he can easily pull one out of his Bottomless Gloves and restore himself back to full.
I think you're underestimating Ash's Pokemon quite a bit here. Considering that these are trained Pokemon and Wild Pokemon are all already Gifted in combat via being able to consistently fight the likes of Machamp which have mastered all martial arts. Plus they're definitely more versatile than they appear.
As I've noted Mario has defeated Master martial artists before and Mario has much more experience than Ash's Pokémon.
A lot of stuff. Static is Pikachu's ability, which grants him a chance of paralyzing foes that physically strike him, even those typically immune to electric attacks, like a motor drive Electivire. Now for his actual moveset, starting with Thunderbolt, which has enough electrical power that with a single bolt managed to unintentionally recharge a mech that previously required being plugged directly into a hydro electric dam and whose use caused a blackout across a town. Its range is also impressive, as it managed to tag a hot air balloon even after it was sent flying beyond the horizon. Pikachu has even used Thunderbolt once to dodge a Z-Move. Plus, Pikachu can get a power amp by absorbing his own thunderbolt, somehow. He can dodge attacks from multiple opponents simultaneously with Quick Attack, which even lets him run on his own electricity. Iron Tail is Pikachu's main CQC move, but it's also capable of deflecting projectiles. Agility increases Pikachu's speed to the point that he disappears from his opponent's sights. Thunder is just a more powerful version of Thunderbolt. And Volt Tackle is so powerful that it essentially one-shot a fully healed Regice, who had earlier taken multiple super effective iron tails.
Furthermore, by combining Volt Tackle and Iron Tail, can essentially attack for double his AP (Pikachu has shown more combo moves, but this is the only one he used in combat)
A big thing here is Mario resists electricity to the point of being completely unaffected by things like Luigi's thunder hand and Cashzap Candy which constantly electrocutes the user so Pikachu's electric attacks are not gonna be very effective here hehe. As I said before Mario resists Paralysis Inducement and even if he didn't he's smart enough to use his hammer and non-physical attacks to work around it.
Staraptor, is almost always flying in fights and while Mario can certainly leap to impressive heights, his mobility mid-air pales in comparison to Staraptor's aerial prowess. Staraptor has Quick Attack and can even use it to dodge incoming attacks. Close Combat lets Staraptor to hold its own against Fighting Types in CQC. And it can halt adversaries in their tracks and repel incoming projectiles with Gust. Furthermore, by infusing the speed of Quick Attack into Aerial Ace, Staraptor can double its AP while retaining Quick Attack's blitz speed.
Mario has dealt with many different flying bosses such as the Koopa Clown car before so he shouldn't have a hard time dealing with Staraptor's flight. Mario also has the means to fly and can make walls to jump off in mid-air. Close Combat isn't gonna be useful due to Mario's massive LS advantage and might be the one getting pinned down instead.
Torterra is bulky lad with quite a versatile moveset. Its Razor Leaf is extremely sharp and can explode on contact, somehow. Energy Ball is an AoE bomb attack. Synthesis allows Torterra to absorb sunlight, letting it recover its health and energy reserves even in the midst of battle. Rock Climb raising up a pillar of earth underneath its foe before charging up the pillar to slam into them, against Mario this could be used to keep him away from Ash and/or limit his mouvement. Leaf Storm is just kinda just a strong attack. The dealbreaker however is its ability to permanently bolster its power by consuming its own energy ball, basically doubling its power. (a.k.a x2 over Mario's AP n Dura)
Torterra is also 2x weak to Fire, Mario's main element. Mario can spam Ultra Flame and potentially inflict Mario versus version of Burn. Mario can guard or reflect Razor Leaf. Rock Climb doesn't seem very useful cause Mario can just jump or fly back down. Mario can block Leaf Storm. There is no multiplier stated from what I can see so it's not confirmed to make Torterra 2x stronger.
The powerhouse of the Gen 4 Team, possesses the Blaze ability, which enhances the potency of its fire-type attacks when it's pushed to its limits. However, Infernape's blaze is much more powerful than normal, being able to turn stomps around. Its fire power can even be bolstered by being struck with fire-type attacks, it doesn't even need to make contact with Infernape itself, its flamethrower being in contact with another fire move resulted in it being amplified, pretty big since I'm pretty sure Mario tends to use fire attacks. In terms of mobility and evasion, Infernape's dig lets it tunnel underground and evade any hits coming its way, plus it can be used as a way to hide Infernape's mouvement or even protect Ash, as shown here.
Mario is unaffected by the heat of an artificial sun and being submerged in lava so Infernape's are not gonna be very effective here just as funny the second time. Mario has fought opponents that get amped from his fire before (I;e Bowletta) so He'll notice and go for other attacks. Mario has fought foes who dig underground such as Torkscrew or Sworm's and can predict where and when they attack while underground and conter after so Infernape's dig shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Kinda think that's enough time for Ash to get a bit away from Mario, or at least far enough that Mario would have to get past a Pokemon to get to Ash.
I don't think it's enough time to make any significant distance from Mario and all Mario has to do is Zone Speed to close any distance he could make and whack hi him. The Pokemon will likely be a good distance away from Ash if they run up to go hit Mario and might not even notice Ash is in danger before he gets one-taped by Mario.

I feel like the biggest things Mario has over Ash's Pokemon are his Stamina, easy healing, and large experience and possibly advantage over the Mons. Mario can power through entire adventures and boss rushes with no sighs of exhaustion. He's also able to outlast Bowser in many of their battles who can battle his son on near-equal footing for weeks on end, and 342 times in a row, while showing no signs of fatigue. With this stamina, Mario should be able to naturally outlast most of Ash's Pokémon with maybe the exception of Pikachu. Even if he does get tired or injured, he can just use one of his mushrooms to put himself back at 100%. There's also the matter of Mario's 1-Up mushrooms which can bring back Mario if he gets knocked out or dies. On experience and skill, when compared to each of the Mon's, Mario massively eclipses in experience and is comparable if not superior in fighting skill. Mario has been fighting a diversity of foes and beings with various magic, unnatural powers and abilities, vastly different technology, and multiple fighting styles for decades while Ash's Mons aren't that old iirc. When it comes to skill both Mario and the Mon's fought Master martial artists. However, Mario has also fought peeps powerful god-like beings such as 3D Colex and Dreamy Bowser and is comparable to Paper Mario who can also fight peeps like Shadow Queen and Super Dimentio so might might have an advantage here.

Ngl idk why I'm tryharding here, I didn't even submit Mario in this tournament 😭 I don't think Mario's submitter has even replied yet.

Mario doesn't need to fully eat a mushroom to use them, all he has to do is touch them so he can easily pull one out of his Bottomless Gloves and restore himself back to full.
Don't think his Bottomless Gloves are considered Standard Equipment, since even the inferior 1-Up Gloves are listed as Optional Equipment,
Plus, Ash would most likely adapt his strategy accordingly to deal with Mario's healing, either by capitalizing on Mario's vulnerability when he does it to land one of his strongest attacks or by maintaining so much pressure on Mario that he couldn't use it, wouldn't be the first time Ash dealt with heal-spam.
As I've noted Mario has defeated Master martial artists before and Mario has much more experience than Ash's Pokémon.
Ash makes up for his Pokemon's relative lack of experience, he has led a Blinded Pikachu into dodging Team Rocket's attacks, even redirecting a reflected thunderbolt.
A big thing here is Mario resists electricity to the point of being completely unaffected by things like Luigi's thunder hand and Cashzap Candy which constantly electrocutes the user so Pikachu's electric attacks are not gonna be very effective here hehe. As I said before Mario resists Paralysis Inducement and even if he didn't he's smart enough to use his hammer and non-physical attacks to work around it.
I wouldn't really say completely unaffected, Luigi's thunder hand is clearly affecting him negatively. Even so, Pikachu's electricity is as potent as lightning and it's not like Pikachu hasn't gone up against those who resist electric attacks and still won (Most notably Volkner's Electivire and Tobias' Latios).
Pikachu's Static paralysis worked on Volkner's Electivire, who is not only typically immune to Paralysis but also due to his motor drive ability could absorb any electric attack.

There's some stuff I missed with Pikachu; Pikachu can leap pretty high and even higher if he decides to use his tail like a springboard, so he should have the mobility advantage mid-air especially due to his aforementioned ability to use his own electricity as footing. Lad is also capable of calling down a lightning strike on himself to restore him to full power and heal all his injuries. Pikachu also has the means to get a BFR win if knocking out Mario ends up being impossible.
Mario has dealt with many different flying bosses such as the Koopa Clown car before so he shouldn't have a hard time dealing with Staraptor's flight. Mario also has the means to fly and can make walls to jump off in mid-air. Close Combat isn't gonna be useful due to Mario's massive LS advantage and might be the one getting pinned down instead.
Fair enough, although Staraptor probably won't be as easy to hit as the Clown Car, due to its smaller size, and while it does need to get close to attack, it has the Quick Attack speed amp stuff. As for getting pinned down, Paul did attempt to do so but it escaped by Close Combating the ground.
Torterra is also 2x weak to Fire, Mario's main element. Mario can spam Ultra Flame and potentially inflict Mario versus version of Burn. Mario can guard or reflect Razor Leaf. Rock Climb doesn't seem very useful cause Mario can just jump or fly back down. Mario can block Leaf Storm. There is no multiplier stated from what I can see so it's not confirmed to make Torterra 2x stronger.
Oh ye, I forgot about the fire weakness. Still, its definitely one of the more troublesome Pokemon Mario could deal with due to Synthesis.
As for the Energy Ball Amp, it's basically a permanent combo-move, although that means it only increases its AP by x2 and not its dura.
Mario is unaffected by the heat of an artificial sun and being submerged in lava so Infernape's are not gonna be very effective here just as funny the second time. Mario has fought opponents that get amped from his fire before (I;e Bowletta) so He'll notice and go for other attacks. Mario has fought foes who dig underground such as Torkscrew or Sworm's and can predict where and when they attack while underground and conter after so Infernape's dig shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Mario's fire resistance would definitely help against Infernape, but since even its first stage fire's is hot enough to turn steel red hot and how it should be comparable to other fire types who's fire can provide a replacement for the sun, Infernape's fire shouldn't be totally ineffective. Infernape uses dig as more of a defensive move, to dodge attacks and such, even then an underground flare blitz creates a massive column of flame that can cover the entire battlefield, don't think Mario can dodge that.
I don't think it's enough time to make any significant distance from Mario and all Mario has to do is Zone Speed to close any distance he could make and whack hi him. The Pokemon will likely be a good distance away from Ash if they run up to go hit Mario and might not even notice Ash is in danger before he gets one-taped by Mario.
I mean, Ash has an advantage when it comes to dodging attack, plus both Pikachu, who can hear a command from about a mile away, and Staraptor can swiftly cover any distance they would have already crossed with Quick Attack. Of course this is assuming Pikachu isn't with Ash at that time.
Pokemon are also capable of leaving their Pokeballs at will and seem to be generally aware of their surroundings, so yeah.
I feel like the biggest things Mario has over Ash's Pokemon are his Stamina, easy healing, and large experience and possibly advantage over the Mons. Mario can power through entire adventures and boss rushes with no sighs of exhaustion. He's also able to outlast Bowser in many of their battles who can battle his son on near-equal footing for weeks on end, and 342 times in a row, while showing no signs of fatigue. With this stamina, Mario should be able to naturally outlast most of Ash's Pokémon with maybe the exception of Pikachu. Even if he does get tired or injured, he can just use one of his mushrooms to put himself back at 100%. There's also the matter of Mario's 1-Up mushrooms which can bring back Mario if he gets knocked out or dies. On experience and skill, when compared to each of the Mon's, Mario massively eclipses in experience and is comparable if not superior in fighting skill. Mario has been fighting a diversity of foes and beings with various magic, unnatural powers and abilities, vastly different technology, and multiple fighting styles for decades while Ash's Mons aren't that old iirc. When it comes to skill both Mario and the Mon's fought Master martial artists. However, Mario has also fought peeps powerful god-like beings such as 3D Colex and Dreamy Bowser and is comparable to Paper Mario who can also fight peeps like Shadow Queen and Super Dimentio so might might have an advantage here.
It should be noted that each of Ash's Pokemon have Superhuman Stamina, with Pikachu himself being able to fight a powerful Spiritomb long enough for the sun to set. Not to mention both him and Torterra can heal themselves while also recovering their stamina, Torterra with Synthesis and Pikachu striking himself with lightning. As for powerful god-like beings Ash and Pikachu have went up against all of the Legendary Birds, Unown Entai, a bunch of legendaries in the Battle Frontier, Meta Groudon, Deoxys and Kyogre with Groudon's help. The Gen 4 Pokemon in particular went up against a Darkrai and a Mecha Giratina.

Although, this fight really depends on amount of Super Mushrooms and 1-Up Mushrooms Mario has here.

Last edited:
Don't think his Bottomless Gloves are considered Standard Equipment, since even the inferior 1-Up Gloves are listed as Optional Equipment,
Even without the Bottomless Gloves Mario can hold 99 mushrooms so he probably won't be running out.
Plus, Ash would most likely adapt his strategy accordingly to deal with Mario's healing, either by capitalizing on Mario's vulnerability when he does it to land one of his strongest attacks or by maintaining so much pressure on Mario that he couldn't use it, wouldn't be the first time Ash dealt with heal-spam.
That clip takes place after Advance Generation - Best Wishes so he doesn't have that experience here. There's gonna be little time to capitalize on cause Mario can apply the effects of a mushroom in an instant.
While he has much more experience than the Mons, Ash still has less overall experience than Mario. Mario has been fighting Bower and his army since he was an infant and has been dealing with them along with many other threats for 30 years. While Ash, despite having gone on many adventures and experienced many battles himself, is still only ten.
wouldn't really say completely unaffected, Luigi's thunder hand is clearly affecting him negatively.
He takes no lasting damage from it and is completely fine after.
Even so, Pikachu's electricity is as potent as lightning
Mario has taken cloud-to-ground lightning before and can take hits from the lord of lightning.
Pikachu's Static paralysis worked on Volkner's Electivire, who is not only typically immune to Paralysis but also due to his motor drive ability could absorb any electric attack.
Fair, though as I noted before Mario can simply use his hammer or use his Pyrokinesis instead of physical attacks to avoid Static.
There's some stuff I missed with Pikachu; Pikachu can leap pretty high and even higher if he decides to use his tail like a springboard, so he should have the mobility advantage mid-air especially due to his aforementioned ability to use his own electricity as footing.
As I noted before, while Pikachu can jump high Mario can go from the ground to Airships in the sky in a single jump. Mario can create walls to jump off mid-air which combined with his goofy acrobatic ability should give him the advantage in the air.
That was during a lightning storm that Pikachu seemingly didn't create himself afaik so he prob won't be able to recreate those conditions to heal himself.
Pikachu also has the means to get a BFR win if knocking out Mario ends up being impossible
Mario can just come back with the P-wing and Warp Whistle so BFR isn't gonna work.
Fair enough, although Staraptor probably won't be as easy to hit as the Clown Car, due to its smaller size
I'd say Jr's Clown Car is around the same size as Staraptor.
If Staraptor tries this on Mario, Mario can just ground Pound them back to the ground or use a Mega Mushroom to more Easily hold them down with his added weight.
Oh ye, I forgot about the fire weakness. Still, its definitely one of the more troublesome Pokemon Mario could deal with due to Synthesis.
Unless Torterra is constantly spamming Synthesis, they will eventually get overwhelmed by Mario's Pyrokinesis. Torterra is also weak to ice so Mario can use an ice flower (while empowered by a super star so he doesn't lose his Low 6-B) to deal more damage or encasing them in ice with a snowball would also be extra effective against Torterra.
As for the Energy Ball Amp, it's basically a permanent combo-move, although that means it only increases its AP by x2 and not its dura.
Ngl I don't know why combo-moves would be considered a 2x amp when just one-shooting something doesn't give a multiplier but that's a different topic.
it should be comparable to other fire types who's fire can provide a replacement for the sun
Afaik we don't compare a Pokemon's abilities to a different Pokemon's unless they're directly compared in a statement.
Infernape uses dig as more of a defensive move, to dodge attacks and such, even then an underground flare blitz creates a massive column of flame that can cover the entire battlefield, don't think Mario can dodge that.
Mario can just take it with his fire resistance or jump over it and hover in the air until it's gone.
I mean, Ash has an advantage when it comes to dodging attack
Mario can spam borderline fireball Danmaku with moves like Ultra Flame or build up a massive fireball to spike down on Ash so he's probably not gonna be able to dodge for long.
It should be noted that each of Ash's Pokemon have Superhuman Stamina,
Do they have any of them besides Pikachu have Stamina feats cause Standard Pokemon Stamina is pretty much featless rn and it could probably be argued to be moreso fit Peak Human stamina.
As for powerful god-like beings Ash and Pikachu have went up against all of the Legendary Birds, Unown Entai, a bunch of legendaries in the Battle Frontier, Meta Groudon, Deoxys and Kyogre with Groudon's help. The Gen 4 Pokemon in particular went up against a Darkrai and a Mecha Giratina.
I wouldn't say these peeps are on the same level of threat as the likes of Super Dimentio or have the same vast abilities of peeps like Dremy Bowser and Colex.
Although, this fight really depends on amount of Super Mushrooms and 1-Up Mushrooms Mario has here.
Mario can hold up to 99 mushrooms and usually starts games with 3-5 1-ups iirc which should be enough to get him through the fight.

That clip takes place after Advance Generation - Best Wishes so he doesn't have that experience here. There's gonna be little time to capitalize on cause Mario can apply the effects of a mushroom in an instant.

Even without the Bottomless Gloves Mario can hold 99 mushrooms so he probably won't be running out.
Oh yeah, bad example on my part there, especially since there are plenty of other instances of Ash doing so from earlier series;
Take, for instance, when Pikachu went up against Juan's Milotic, that could effectively negate all damage he inflicted on it with its abuse of Recover, but Pikachu still managed to win by exploiting the conductivity of water to enhance the power of his Thunder enough to one-shot it.
Similarly, when facing Anabel's Alakazam, Pikachu won by one-shotting it with a maximum power Thunderbolt.

Plus, it's worth noting that Super Mushrooms typically only heal a fraction of Mario's maximum HP, which probably isn't enough to fully negate The Pokemon's attacks, which potentially deal more damage than Mario can heal, especially if Ash catches on and starts actually trying to overpower it.
Mario has taken cloud-to-ground lightning before and can take hits from the lord of lightning.
Ye, I'm just sayin that he wouldn't be able to shrug off Pikachu's electric attacks like they're nothing.
Fair, though as I noted before Mario can simply use his hammer or use his Pyrokinesis instead of physical attacks to avoid Static.
Thing is Mario wouldn't really know about it unless it already got him, and since he ain't got any way to heal it, lad would be stuck with it for the rest of the fight.
That was during a lightning storm that Pikachu seemingly didn't create himself afaik so he prob won't be able to recreate those conditions to heal himself.
Fair enough, although Pikachu can also heal himself by using his own attacks, it would seem.
Unless Torterra is constantly spamming Synthesis, they will eventually get overwhelmed by Mario's Pyrokinesis. Torterra is also weak to ice so Mario can use an ice flower (while empowered by a super star so he doesn't lose his Low 6-B) to deal more damage or encasing them in ice with a snowball would also be extra effective against Torterra.
Ye, Torterra would likely eventually get overwhelmed by Mario's Pyrokinesis. I dunno about the Ice Flower thingy, Mario dropping out of his perma Low 6-B form and going into a temporary Low 6-B form doesn't seem like a good idea, although the x4 weakness would definitely screw over Torterra.
Ngl I don't know why combo-moves would be considered a 2x amp when just one-shooting something doesn't give a multiplier but that's a different topic.
It's actually stated that they deal double the damage of normal attacks, I dunno why that isn't on Ash's profile tho
Afaik we don't compare a Pokemon's abilities to a different Pokemon's unless they're directly compared in a statement.
I mean, Infernape has fought against Charizard, who can match Moltres, whose fire breath can bring early spring to wintery lands, just its sheer body heat evaporates a water pulse before it can hit and can basically replicate the Volcarona feat.
Mario can spam borderline fireball Danmaku with moves like Ultra Flame or build up a massive fireball to spike down on Ash so he's probably not gonna be able to dodge for long.
Fair, although Infernape could always absorb any incoming fire attacks or just dig Ash outta the way.
Do they have any of them besides Pikachu have Stamina feats cause Standard Pokemon Stamina is pretty much featless rn and it could probably be argued to be moreso fit Peak Human stamina.
Mostly just typical Pokemon Stamina, although some got Supernatural Willpower stuff like Infernape overpowering its paralysis.
I wouldn't say these peeps are on the same level of threat as the likes of Super Dimentio or have the same vast abilities of peeps like Dremy Bowser and Colex.
While not at Super Dimentio's level, they were definitely far above Ash's best at those times. As for versatility, Ig Mirage Mewtwo? Although I don't think lad is canon.
Mario can hold up to 99 mushrooms and usually starts games with 3-5 1-ups iirc which should be enough to get him through the fight.
Couldn't Ash get past the 1-ups by knocking out Mario?

Small nitpick, but some moves don't boost stats by increments of .5. Some moves sharply boost stats, which means it raises 2 stages. Agility sharply boosts speed. Meaning 1, 2, 3, 4x. There's some moves that go further like Belly Drum which at the cost of half your health instantly raises your attack stat by 4x.

Back