• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LOTR verse speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we then delay this particular speed discussion till the cosmological one? Though that will take quite a lot of time.
I think that we can handle both threads at once.
Well, if they moved that fast via flapping their wings really fast; I think it would qualify for combat speed scaling normally. Same with being able to basically sneak up and ambush with a speed like that and fight as they fly really fast and the like.
Thank you for responding. However, wasn't this issue about a ship that could fly at Massively FTL+ speed, or do I misremember?

I think that we can handle both threads at once.

Thank you for responding. However, wasn't this issue about a ship that could fly at Massively FTL+ speed, or do I misremember?
The ship could fly at MFTL+ speeds, if LOTR's cosmology is similar to our real world. The debate here is if the dragons could keep up with it in their battle against Ecthelion riding the Vigilot, and whether they would be MFTL+ too is the current discussion.

Immeasurable got replaced with infinite (due to Ainur being able to cross any distance instantly when disembodied) and MFTL+ came from scaling to the Vigilot ship.

Does the MFTL+ feat scale to stuff beyond travel speed or only the latter?
I believe it was agreed for reactions and combat speed as well. Although I don't believe any character scales to its travel speed, but that might need to be amended (I'm not sure, I have to look over it more).

The Vigilot was used by Eärendil in battle against Ancalagon and the winged dragons, with the eagles fighting alongside him.

There's not much detail about the battle, but the dragons had to have reacted against it for there to be a prolonged struggle, and the Vigilot's speed was never stated to be beyond the reactions of the dragons. Plus Eärendil had to have reacted to its speed to have maneuvered it in an actual battle, and his reaction speed can't be higher than the likes of the Maiar or Valar.

I believe it was agreed for reactions and combat speed as well. Although I don't believe any character scales to its travel speed, but that might need to be amended (I'm not sure, I have to look over it more).

The Vigilot was used by Eärendil in battle against Ancalagon and the winged dragons, with the eagles fighting alongside him.

There's not much detail about the battle, but the dragons had to have reacted against it for there to be a prolonged struggle, and the Vigilot's speed was never stated to be beyond the reactions of the dragons. Plus Eärendil had to have reacted to its speed to have maneuvered it in an actual battle, and his reaction speed can't be higher than the likes of the Maiar or Valar.
I see. So they reacted to the Vigilot in close quarters or am I misunderstanding?

Thank you for the replies.

So have all of the above-stated conclusions already been applied, or does it still need to be done?

Thank you for the replies.

So have all of the above-stated conclusions already been applied, or does it still need to be done?
Just a few more pages until the Ainur are done, although the speed changes would also apply to a few dragon and possibly elf profiles which we haven't gotten to.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much else to bring up, outside of one possibly Faster than sight feat for normal elves, but I can bring that up in the "downgrade" thread since it's not that big of a discussion (I believe only Legolas would be affected).

Okay. Thank you for helping out. Tell us here when you have finished with the revision please.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out here.

The revision thread is in a roadblock for now, so I was wondering if any speed feat could be gained from the Unbound Ainur being transcendent to time.

As in they predate it, view it as "The Little Kingdom", and are stated to "descend" into it upon entering creation (at which point they become restricted).

I did not remember this thread too well. But I vaguely remember agreeing the current Immeasurable ratings do not hold up, but there are some notable degrees of Massively FTL+ but unknown degrees traveling interstellar distances in less than a day. And while it was mostly flight speed, I think the fact that dragons kept up with some ships via flapping their wings really fast made combat speed scaling seem applicable. I also heard of some vague infinite speed statements of moving places in 0 time.

I am mostly rereading through this thread saying this.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

Last edited:
I did not remember this thread too well. But I vaguely remember agreeing the current Immeasurable ratings do not hold up, but there are some notable degrees of Massively FTL+ but unknown degrees traveling interstellar distances in less than a day. And while it was mostly flight speed, I think the fact that dragons kept up with some ships via flapping their wings really fast made combat speed scaling seem applicable. I also heard of some vague infinite speed statements of moving places in 0 time.

I am mostly rereading through this thread saying this.
That's pretty much the gist of it. Most of the above was accepted, but I was wondering if characters being described as transcendent to time affects their speed scaling.

The Ainur in their origin are described by Tolkien's notes as being transcendant to time, only becoming bound to Linear time upon entering it and being bound to it as Eru ordained.

"The Valar entered into Eä and Time of free will, and they are now in Time, so long as it endures."

"When Eru gave being to this design, in general and
particular, and it became Eä, unfolding in Time, He set in motion life and
growth, or those processes which would in time lead to this. But when he
permitted the Valar to descend into Time, to carry out in Eä (or reality)..."

Essentially I'm just curious as to whether or not this grants a degree of Immeasurable speed.

That still more so sounds more like time travel and still iffy on Immeasurable.
It's not exactly time travel, as the Ainur were created before time or space existed.

They essentially existed outside of and above time (viewing reality itself as merely "The Little Kingdom). Although they admittedly never display the ability to move through time, I was wondering if their nature gives them a possibly rating (especially as they display something similar in regards to their preception, with us being told they could also see all of time, minus some Eru-censored stuff, prior to being bound to Eä and reality).

No problem.

So what, if anything, is left to do here?

Okay. Is it fine if I close this thread then?

Okay. I will do so. Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back