• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LOTR verse speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
God tiers have immeasurable speed because they existed in the timeless halls.

Timeless void feats have been retconned a while ago.

Haven't read silmarillion yet.

Wouldn't this warrant a nerf?

I agree that the Immeasurable speed ratings do not hold up; however, I am not knowledgeable about LOTR's lore of the gods other than stuff I hear from others. But the reasons do not seem to warrant an infinite speed let alone an Immeasurable speed rating.

Yeah it isnt Immeasurable or Infinite speed, but I am not a expert in the verse, these users should be called to this thread, as they are supporters of the verse and perhaps they know a better context to it

Sem_titulo_-_2021-07-03T125521.689.jpg

What MFTL+ feat? Has it been calculated?

well it seems a character went could go through the cold void of space and return in a day and there's also a character who has control of all the stars in the sky, moving them around freely

Well, we need the original text in order for somebody to perform calculations, if possible.

Regarding Vigilot, the ship that traversed space.

"But they took Vingilot, and hallowed it, and bore it away through Valimor to the uttermost rim of the world; and there it passed through the Door of Night and was lifted up even into the oceans of heaven".

"Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids; but most often was he seen at morning or at evening, glimmering in sunrise or sunset, as he came back to Valinor from voyages beyond the confines of the world".

Regarding Varda's creation of the stars

The creation of the stars in the Silmarillion is not given an exact timeframe, but is said that "Varda had wrought them in the ages forgotten of her labours in Eä", and that there were "innumerable stars, faint and far"

Later, when she creates the constellations, it's written "She took the silver dews from the vats of Telperion, and therewith she made new stars and brighter against the comming of the Firstborn...", and regarding the creation of the constellations, it stated "even as Varda ended her labours, and they were long..."

I mean, with how the profiles say that they are likened to a higher temporal dimension which can from what I remember does qualify for immeasurable speed from what I can remember of the discussions on immeasurable speed

Regarding Vigilot, the ship that traversed space.

"But they took Vingilot, and hallowed it, and bore it away through Valimor to the uttermost rim of the world; and there it passed through the Door of Night and was lifted up even into the oceans of heaven".

"Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids; but most often was he seen at morning or at evening, glimmering in sunrise or sunset, as he came back to Valinor from voyages beyond the confines of the world".
Regarding Varda's creation of the stars

The creation of the stars in the Silmarillion is not given an exact timeframe, but is said that "Varda had wrought them in the ages forgotten of her labours in Eä", and that there were "innumerable stars, faint and far"

Later, when she creates the constellations, it's written "She took the silver dews from the vats of Telperion, and therewith she made new stars and brighter against the comming of the Firstborn...", and regarding the creation of the constellations, it stated "even as Varda ended her labours, and they were long..."
@Mr._Bambu @KieranH10 @Migue79 @Jasonsith

WOuld any of you be willing to calculate the required speeds of these feats please?

Okay. Can we set a Massively FTL+ to an unknown degree estimation, or do we have to go with unknown instead?

The creation of the stars happened on an unknown date as far as I'm aware, but the constellations were finished around 1050 of the Years of the Trees, and it's stated that their creation began not long before the Elves awoke, but long enough for the task to be considered long (which doesn't help I know, but it's basically a reasonably close timeframe).

The speed of Vigilot is probably MFTL+ outright to an unknown degree, since it literally moves fast enough to go past an innumerable amount of stars, and come back in a reasonable timeframe.

For the record, Vigilot does scale to some characters, as the winged dragons were involved in a conflict against it and the eagles for an extended period of time, and Sauron scales above even the strongest among the winged dragons.

Although one thing I'll note, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the Fellowship of the Ring has a line where Gandalf says, whilst some dragons did melt some rings if power, not even Ancalagon could melt the One, as it was made by Sauron, and I believe it was due to the fact it contained most of his power.

I'll give more details on the status of Sauron as the greatest of Morgoth's servants on my next post on the downgrade thread.

Okay. I would welcome suggestions in that case.

I need to revive this thread first as people were more worried about upgrades. We need a proper attempt at a calc

Okay. If you or somebody else suggests some feats that can be calculated, I can ask our calc group for help with doing so afterwards.

Copying this from the LOTR Downgrade thread (which really needs a new name), since this is the main thread for LOTR speed.

Speed of the Spirit forms of the Ainur:
Nothing particularly new for their physical forms, but NOME has made it clear that the Ainur as a whole can, and I quote:

""... it is often mentioned in the legends that certain of the Valar, and occasionally of the Maiar, "passed over the Sea", and appeared in Middle Earth"... They could go where they willed, and that is could be present at once at any point in Eä"

Their physical forms, moreover, did not limit this ability, as the Ainur as a whole could discard it instantly and remake it - "For their bodies were self-made. They houseless as spirits could go where they would (either slowly or immediately), and could then re-clothe themselves."

The only limitation in the footnotes, was that they were subject to the limitations of Eru, meaning they could not exit Arda until its breaking, which is relevant only for indexing. Moreover, their physical forms cannot pass through solid objects "had the properties of material substances. were resisted by or offered resistance to other physical things"

Only Melkor "became at last bound to a bodily form", meaning he was the only one who cannot instantly shift to move where he willed, alongside the Istari (Sauron is mentioned as moving as a spirit after the downfall of Numenor for instance, even after he forged his Ring)

Okay. Isn't that a bit too unspecific regarding their speed levels though?

Not that well versed in the Valar lore but I could help calc found feats if needed

Being present at once at any point literally would mean infinite speed I suppose, don't know how serious is that meant to be taken

Okay. Wouldn't that be be due to their omnipresence in their conceptual forms instead though?

It's not that they're everywhere at once, but that the Ainur, including the Maiar, can move anywhere instantly if they wanted to, so long as they're in the bodiless form, which they can go into and leave whenever they want, unless they're permanently embodied, like Morgoth later down the line, and the Istari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back