• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

LOTR/Tolkien's Legendarium canon

I'm currently planning a large revision for LOTR and everything related to it, but I've noticed that there's no defined "canon" listed here anywhere, rather, the profiles themselves seem to use literally anything, even material that contradicts with itself.

To be completely frank, a lot of the LOTR profiles as they stand right now are pretty terrible, not only is barely anything sourced or referenced but much of the ratings and abilities on them are questionable to say the least.

So my question is, what do we accept as canon here and what takes precedence?
  • Anything written by J.R.R Tolkien?
  • Anything written by Christopher Tolkien?
  • Things that aren't written by either of the above but endorsed by them?
  • Tolkien's letters?
  • All of the above?
I know this is a contentious topic even in the Tolkien fandom, but it's strange to me that we allow profiles like this without even first deciding what material is usable for them.

I believe the original books should be the primary canon for sure, as well as the maps written by Chris. Not sure what to say about the others though.

The LOTR and Hobbit books are undoubtedly Canon.

Regarding everything else, the current policy I've been following is that the latest information written by Tolkien should be accepted as Canon (unless it's contradictory or left too ambigious).

His Letters should also be fairly Canon as he wrote them in response to queries regarding his work.

Regarding Christopher, his work is mainly focused on the compilation of his father's work and should be Canon. There are some exceptions were he added stuff and deleted other works, so those should be evaluated based on other works.

Regarding NOME, all of that is Tolkien's work overviewed by his son and compiled by approved writers. Almost all of it should be acceptable, as the writers do show where they make their opinions known.

Of course, there is the gray area of Unfinished Tales and Morgoth's Ring, but the latter is mostly old versions of work with some additional notes + some commentary (I admittedly should review some of my decisions based on this book) and the former is mostly just expanded context from notes, and should be fine for the most part.

This is just my opinion though, but I am spearheading the current revisions alongside some others.

Although truth be told, everyone is kinda working separately from each other and pushing ideas when finished and compiled in the downgrade thread (which is basically a general revision thread now)

Back