• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the spelling mistakes.

Non-corpreal is not a power, its astate of being.

Non-corpreality is a sate of being.

If we are going for the biggest audience, then the previous images are the classic protryals of these characters.

Honestly, there is no need to correct any spelling or wording. What is stated is consistent and grammatically correct, and I frankly do not wish to get into an edit war over this.

Also, that picture that you reset is a DeviantArt picture, in contrast to the one used by an actual concept-artist illustrator.

Can you point me to where I reverted correct grammer, as I definetly do not want to put bad grammer in the pages.

Neither do I wish to get in an edit war, perhaps we should list all our pictures here and then discuss them?

I don't think there's a problem right now. I just want to avoid the potentiality that we'll be stepping on each other's toes, which would cause admins to look poorly on the whole issue. That being said. I have removed all needless depictions of characters with which there are already representations of, (such as Melkor's "fair," form, etc) used real art (for Varda and for Manwe, at least. Keep the Ulmo one if it's important to you, but their pictures on the LoTR wiki are both from DeviantArt and are low-quality, IMO, in contrast to a professional illustrator's rendition of them. Mass appeal and all that, I at least want the pages to look pretty and not have ultra-blurry Google Images searched pictures, as was the case before. My issues are only ever with consistency, I don't feel like arguing portrayals because they're of course subjective.) as well as having removed all depictions where artists have made it verboten to use their work in a fair-use way.

How about a compromise.

I will revert all the pictures that look unatural (Like Ulmo being a squid), and you keep the rest?

Except for as I said, the Varda and Manwe ones are made by an official illustrator. Replacing them with DeviantArt images based on taste is rather disingenuous.

It's less that it's important to me personally, and more that I wanna stay within the framework (not cause any future problems) as well as make the profiles look pretty. That's all. Maybe your tastes are more in line with Tolkien, I won't argue about all that. I'm just trying to be consistent.

Also, the additional pics to Melkor, Ungoliant and Gollum are extremely official, as are the ones of Orome and Tulkas, not that the Tulkas one would cause many issues, I think. (Edit: I'm curious why you don't like the current one)

The Varda pic is done by an official illustrator, as I have recently found out.

The Tulkas one is official too, and its previous was blurry.

As was the one for Mandos.

And the previous Irmo one...is simply atrocious. Extremely blurry, not to mention not an official work. If you don't like that one, find another one that's crisp that closer matches your image, if it's so important. But honestly, those previous pics look terrible from an objective point of view regardless of whether they match some abstract ideal or not.

I wonder if the fan art is loyal or even close to the official ones. But if you want reverse image search is good way to look for the best version of a given pic.

I've linked to every one that comes from Tumblr/DeviantArt, etc, as well as linked to that concept illustrator's official site. I back-searched every picture to put up those pictures, spending all night doing thus, which is why it's a little disorienting to have them changed based off of a personal interpretation vs mass appeal.

I have a whole book of illustrations with canon images of Manwe (looks like a Mediterranean guy silouhetted against a sky with stars for eyes) and Ulmo (looks like Poseidon but with a more stoic face and a Greek helm with plumage) and the others, but I don't have an image copier which I could use. The only ones I could find online of those canon images were Gollum, Ungoliant, and Morgoth's images, which were drawn by David Day, who's an officially licensed artist.

Find one you like more that doesn't come from DeviantArt (or does, with citations) that matches with your description, then. Hi-res preferrably. I hunted those pictures down, and did my research in finding out that LoTR wiki shamelessly uses DeviantArt pictures in 90% of its character profiles.

If you want, I can try to scan *official official* images from my Tolkien Bestiary, but that might take up to a week.

MasterOfArda said:
Though I must say, the Witch-King one is quite good.
It's a canon drawing from David Day, as is the one for the Nazgul. I forgot about those .-.

I agree that the Tulkas image looks awful. I much prefered the previous images.

.-.

Even with the massively blurry images?

Essentially, all I am asking for in the ones he mentioned is that they aren't blurry and look as good as the rest which have been assembled (the sign of a well-kept verse on this Wiki, imo at least)

That's perfectly fine. I don't feel like this is a thing worth arguing over past official depictions and low-quality images.

Additionally, why did you remove the Morgoth pic @Ant? That image is an official depiction in a licensed work.

I really think a tabber is unnesscary for Morgoth

Also, please tell me if there is any mistakes I made so I can fix them @Antvasima

I guess DeviantArt/LoTR wiki pics are going to be preferred over official renditions. I have nothing further to say, though I would like to politely express my discontentment at such an action.

Also @Master why do you think that? There is a clear difference between his weakened and full potentials. When he lost the Silmarils, he was a shell of a being.

A few have returned to a blurry state already, however, such as Eonwe's. I would like to express, as well, that none of my edits were done in a disrespectful way, but were intended to add dynamism and an eye-catcher to each of those profiles. I spent a great deal of time looking for appropriate images which would serve this purpose as well as be legal to use under the standards of "fair use".

And I am aware of the general 400px rule, but my logic (generally speaking) was to expand the size of the images in certain cases so that they would line up more properly with the size outlined by that space usually. I apologize if this has created any inconsistencies.

MasterOfArda said:
Yes, but I doubt he changed his apperance.
His appearance WAS changed, however. It was slashed repeatedly by various creatures over the years, and he lived in constant agony and pain. (which is what that official art by David Day is trying to convey, at least IMO; a weakened shell of a once-great adversary.) For instance, Beren cutting the Silmaril from his crown, his pain at holding the Silmarils, being slashed by Fingolfin (who marred his face and cut his ankle before being cut down) etc.

Hmmm. Would some of those pictures still be allowed to be used in a gallery? (the ones which were not kept and were absolutely canon) If not, then it's not a big deal.

I have tried to go through the images, in order to select the ones that are of higher quality and/or seem to better reflect the mood of Tolkien's work.

I am politely in disagreement with the quality of a few of the images, specifically based off of canon arguments, but have nothing further to add, as I have clarified those pages' grammar and descriptions to a lore-accurate assessment.

Well, higher drawing quality or image resolution is not everything, in case the rendition looks very strange.

I have now finished going through the images.

Are there any edits that still need to be performed, or can I close the profiles again?

Yes.

I think you can close them, but we still need Azathoth to evaluate a few more suggestions in this thread.

I have locked the profiles, but think that Azathoth disagreed about rating the Maiar that high, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back