• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Listing where the Classic versions end and the Modern versions begin.

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Hello, as you may have noticed, many profiles like Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and Doctor Strange (Classic) utilize a "Classic" and "Modern" key, but what isn't specified however, is at what point would something be considered for Classic characters, and what would be considered as the Modern interpretation.

This CRT proposes to define said eras if they haven't been already, and adding them onto their respective profiles so as to communicate the criteria better amongst the wiki.

I don't think so, we still use her "Classic" version well after she got her powers back I reckon.

I'd preferably would like this verified a bit more however, since others may have a different margin.

Classic would when she was Ms.Marvel, while modern would be after Mar-Vell death and turnig into fake Captain Marvel.

That is, if we go by timeline, if we go by powers, then yeah before and after Rogue sucking her.

We don't go by powers I recall, we just use the point they start to ridiculously amp or reduce a character's powers, which would be like, Civil War II Carol, I reckon

Zark2099 said:
I don't think so, we still use her "Classic" version well after she got her powers back I reckon.

I'd preferably would like this verified a bit more however, since others may have a different margin.
Well, in the thread where we gave Carol the Classic and Modern keys, the Classic one was supposed to be everything before she got her powers back and after for Modern.

Idk, that seems wrong-ish, she didn't get that massive an amp during that phase

Well for most people there's a few ways to do it

• We do it based on authors. For example Post-Frank Miller Daredevil is different than Pre-Miller DD. Or as another example, Superman (Post Crisis) had a notable power shift once Byrne left and another when Loeb increased his powers
  • We do it based on name or major long term costume changes. For Carol it would be going from Ms Marvel to Captain Marvel
  • We choose the split based on a major story arc, which is how we currently handle it afaik

It should be what @LordTracer mentioned, but seemingly that's not the case. It's a bit arbitrary where we draw the line, but if we do draw it then it should be around there.

I'm pretty sure Ant wanted there to be an actual in-continuity explanation for the power changes as opposed to saying they're portrayed stronger or weaker just because of the era. That's why Odin doesn't have a 4-B "Modern" key.

Doctor Strange never had a retcon or something to create two profiles, and even in a story from 2018 but from a chapter released this year showed his "Classic" fights against Death and SHuman Gorath. I read like, 90% of all Strange's comics, and his "Classic" era ends after Doctor Strange V2 or some Defenders comics.

I think it should be suitable that both Dormammu and Doctor Strange's Classic eras should coincide, so would Defenders, Vol. 3 be the end of classic era for both?

In my mind Dormammu's classic era is up to the DeMatteis/Giffen Defenders series in 2005, Doctor Strange's classic era is until before his appearance in World War Hulk, and Ms. Marvel's/Carol Danvers' classic era is until she lost her powers to Rogue. There may be better ways to define the specifics though.

Honestly, we should use issue numbers to define the border

So I'm just waiting for someone to list a good issue to do that.

Well, for Dormammu:

Classic = Strange Tales #126/#127 => Defenders, Vol. 3 #5

Moder = New Avengers, Vol. 1 #46 and onwards

Back