• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lightning

After viewing the this discussio I have edited my arguments into attacking points that were made in that discussion. I initally made this post because I found that the current speed feat (which is scaled to Zuko reacting to Azula) to be incredibly inconsistent with the rest of other Avatar feats, and furthermore it would assume that every other speed feat is relative to lightning feats, which I found to be reaching. It seems like an outlier that throws every other reaction feat out the window. I find that the thesis made while may prove that the lightning present is electricity, it is not the same as Cloud-to-Ground Lightning.

1. Failure to differentiate
The first claim that is made is that all the other elements are all physically real and bent the same way. This is an association fallacy. Out of all the elements, fire has been shown to be an exception on how it is bent. All the other require a source of the physical elements present in order to bend them. I.e Earth-Benders require some form of earth to perform bending. Water-benders require water to be present in something in order to bend it. Air-Benders quite obviously bend the air around them.

Fire however, is the only element that does not actually require it's physical source to be present in order to be bent. The only source it is drawn from is the sun, however, this is still vastly different from how all the other elements are bent. Firebending also seems to be unique in it's own way on how each user can generate it's properties differently. I.e. Blue vs yellow fire. It's quite clearly user-generated element in contrast to the other elements. If fire can be bent and have vastly different properties, why shouldn't we say the same for lightning-bending?

The assertion that the lightning is real because all the other elements are real is absurd. Fire, the element that is needed to lightning-bend is already different from the rest of the elements in how it's bent.

2. Contrapositio
The argument claim #2 makes here, isn't wrong at all. It is actually a very strong and compelling point in proving that what fire-benders are bending is actual electricity. However, while this is a good case in building up that it may be cloud-to-ground lightning, it doesn't prove that it is actual lightning by itself. All lightning may be electricity, but not all electricity is lightning. It's a strong foundation for building an argument, but it doesn't actually prove the argument by itself. The same argument can also be applied to claim #3, #4, #5. All of these claims are essentially the same in that what fire-benders bend is similar to actual electricity, which is fine. But it doesn't show any proof that the electricity they are bending is actual cloud-to-ground lightning. The only argument that's being proven here is that they are bending electricity. In fact, in claim #3 the user actually refers to an anti feat here which has been calced at I believe sub mach 12 speeds. The user also admitted to the incident but didn't post the actual footage of it happening nor the calc. Only something that I found mentioned through the replies.

Nothing in the intial argument of the Discussion actually proves that what the fire-benders bend is actual cloud-to-ground lightning. All it proves is that it is very, very similar to electricity, which anyone could make such a blatant observation such as that. In fact, in the case of actual natural lightning being redirected, it's been shown to be much, much slower. So why is it now that it is assumed that in every case of lightning-bending that it's been treated as actual cloud-to-ground lightning speeds?

I understand that there's an argument of fiction and what not. But only using a feat (which isn't even proven to be at a certain speed) and only applying that feat in seperate isolated instances (where lightning-bending is performed) completely disregards every other speed feat that is shown to be consistent with each other. See here, here, and here It also assumes that everything else in the Avatar verse is also this ridculously fast which in turn makes everything else inconsistent.

Just because something behaves like electricity, doesn't suddenly make what they shoot out 440,000 m/s. I already did some loose math below on the steps Zuko took to block Azula's lightning. His movement speed is so ridiculous and it would assume that everything else would be faster, and the planet would have to be the size of Jupiter (I'm exaggerating).

Its called bending for a reason, they bend elements, why would the lightning be slower then real one?

Most of the lightning feats are performed later in the series your examples are early in the series

How is aim dodging when he moves after its fired, thats not aim dodging when he moves after it got fired

1. Because it's man-made, unlike the other 3 elements. Fire-Bending and therefore Lightning-Bending is the only element in which the user generates, rather than drawing from a source (Unless you technically want to include the Sun). The entire chemistry into making actual lightning or even fire for that matter is vastly different.

2. While that maybe true, the majority of feats of lightning-bending itself on the wiki is based/scaled off of Zuko's reaction to Azula's lightning during Sozin's comet. That very thread itself seemed to be very polarized on the calculation.

3. Ignoring the entire fact Azula took ~10+ seconds just to fire her lightning, while Zuko was already anticipating it (He even taunted her into doing it). Assuming that it is actual lightning. It could also be easily argued that Zuko was reacting the body-movements and direction of Azula herself rather than the actual lightning.

But if this is too much of a reach. Then let's assume that Zuko did just that. He reacted to the lightning itself. The calculation itself doesn't even measure how far Azula and Zuko were away from each other. All it calculates is the scene and reaction to when Zuko gets hit on screen. Even though Zuko reacted to it much, much, sooner. Let's just throw a number out there and assume that Zuko and Azula were ~10 meters away from each other from the moment he was strucked (I'm not saying that that's the actual distance). Zuko took a total of two steps and throwed himself in the time it took the lightning to travel. Assuming that a step is 0.76 meters each. Zuko traveled 1.72 meters in the span of 2.27272727e-5 seconds (or 2.27*10^-5), which means Zuko had a rough speed of ~75771 m/s. Which puts his movement distance even if it's at a short burst at Mach 218.

There is absolutly no reason why Zuko or anyone who scales to him should be hit or are struggling to avoid projectiles that are a mere fraction of the speed of lightning. Unless we all somehow want to assume that all the bending and projectiles in Avatar are of similar speed.

I'm only judging that this is an outlier, and even if I am wrong, this feat should be re-examined and have a more confident acceptance other than a "I guess so."

To also add this from the Lightning Feats page:

Non-Cloud-to-Ground lightning
Non Cloud-to-Ground lightning can be calculated with the same calculation mentioned above.

It should be noted that as long as the character or machine was not displayed creating cloud-to-ground lightning, it is questionable whether or not the lightning actually moves at average lightning speed, because the scientific knowledge on the speed of lightning is lacking in the current state of science, so that it is unknown which variables that could influence the speed.

I don't believe any ATL:A lightning feats have been verified as actual lightning.

I believe this is the discussio that made Avatar's lightning bending at cloud-to-ground lightning speed.

Your counter arguments are mentioned and addressed there, so I guess demonstrating your position is about defeating the arguments in the discussion.

Thank you, for directing me to that because I would have never found that discussion. It's not shown anywhere in the Avatar Pages, at least to my knowedge. I will do my best to edit the initial counter-arguments and attack those arguments. If possible.

Back