• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's Talk About Time Stopper...

After noticing some things about Mega Man's Time Stopper, I want to address some issues and possible additions.

1. Mega Man 2 Robot Master's Resistance to Time Stop: According to the Mega Man Complete Works site, the Robot Masters from Mega Man 2 (in this case Air Ma, Metal Ma and Flash Ma) have devices installed in them to work as a defense mechanism against the Time Stopper. However, they are all still frozen under Time Stopper's effects in the games, the only difference being they don't take damage unlike Quick Man due his device having a defect. This likely suggests they STILL have the resistance to the Time Stopper, but not in terms of being able to resist the time stop itself if that makes sense. More on that in the next point.

2. Time Stopper deals continuous damage while it's active: So it's established that Quick Man takes damage because of the defect in his defense mechanism to resist the time stop . This would mean the Time Stopper naturally damages foes stopped in time through... space-time hax or something. Keep in mind that Quick Man ISN'T exactly weak to Time Stopper, but rather he's vulnerable to it's effects due to his defect, making him the only one who takes damage from it. Manga Mega Man even has this to a minor degree as evidenced by the descriptions of Quick Man and Flash Man in Megamix. Quick Man's time acceleration is countered by Flash Man's time stop, the latter's time stop being able to "reduce the speed of light to nearly zero, infinitely increasing [Quick Man's] mass and thus creating a powerful gravitational field" - Mega Man Megamix Character File . However, the manga also states Quick Man is the only one who can be damaged by the time stop because he manipulates the speed of light (via his time acceleration system).

3. Mega Man can attack during Time Stop: In Super Adventure Rockman, Mega Man is able to use Time Stopper to fire a Mega Buster shot which stops time for a few seconds before time resumes again. During this time, Mega Man can still fire Mega Buster shots at foes (like Flash Stopper) or he can switch to other weapons and attack before time resumes again and he can keep this going.

Conclusions: In short, the Mega Man 2 Robot Masters don't resist time stop specifically, but do resist the damage Time Stopper deals so perhaps they have resistance to spatial hax or something? Speaking of which, Time Stopper possibly negates durability (even if this isn't accepted I believe he should get this anyway due to his AZ + space-time manipulation) and damages targets as long as it's active since it continuously damaged Quick Man (depleting half of his life energy in game) when he was just vulnerable to it's effects due to a flaw in his device. Meanwhile, Manga Mega Man damages foes the same way except only those who can manipulate the speed of light (time or vector manip users if I'm not mistaken) are damaged. As a side note, if anyone's wondering why Flash Man's own time stop doesn't do this it's because Mega Man's copied weapons are refined to befit Mega Man himself after they're copied (i.e. Centaur Flash being a screen nuke as opposed to a time stop like when Centaur Man used it, Atomic Fire being a large fireball as opposed to being a fire tackle like when Heat Man used it, etc.) so it makes sense Time Stopper would be different in Mega Man's case. Also, Mega Man can attack in time stop apparently. Why this happens in SAR but not Mega Man 2? Likely game mechanics as both have different gameplay. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if being able to resist damage while time is stopped is resistance to Space-Time hax. And foes being damaged while time is stopped sounds a bit like game mechanics. I'm fine with Megaman being able to attack while time is stopped though. And I'd prefer input from Dark649, I know DarkAnine left and that Reppuzan has been inactive for a while. BruceTheBatman might be good to ask though.

Yeah I know that doesn't necessarily mean they have space-time resistance, but I was just throwing out suggestions and stuff since I don't really know what to place that as.

Actually, foes taking damage during the time stop isn't present at all in the games, but Quick Man is the only one who's damaged because of his device flaw. Lore-wise, the fact that Quick Man takes damage from the time stop solely because of a flaw in his defense mechanism suggests that the other Mega Man 2 robots would have also taken damage if they didn't have their own devices. This means Time Stopper naturally does this and damages foes through some sort of hax.

That more so sounds like it's just a weakness for Quick Man rather than anything else.

Quick Man takes damage only because he is left vulnerable to the time stops effects. He isn't weak to it necessarily and it's never even stated that he is and why (unlike the manga version which does state Quick Man is weak to it and why but at this rate I'm talking about the games). So let's put this into a more simplistic view.

Mega Man 2 Robots: Immune to the damage of time stop because their devices are complete and void of imperfections.

Quick Man: Isn't immune to time stop damage because his device is flawed meaning he isn't effectively protected from time stops's effects and left vulnerable.

Any other character: Unlike the Mega Man 2 robots, has no built-in defense against Time Stopper whatsoever and will be damaged once it is activated.

Evidence for this: Make sure to have a computer or something while doing this so the page asks if you would like it to be translated. Here.

Resistance to time stop should be given if the characters can move/react while time is stopped.

That's the thing, NONE of them have resistance to that as the Robot Masters are clearly still frozen in time stop with no indication of them being conscious about it. Rather, I'm saying scrap the resistance to time stop and put resistance for whatever damage Time Stopper is dishing out. The problem is I don't know what to classify that as.

Necro, but I agree.

As for what damage the Time Stopper does, it just seems like a passive area of effect attack.

Back