• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lapis Lazuli Speed Downgrades (Leaked Episode Spoilers)

LordXcano

VS Battles
Retired
So, well, in the newest episode we finally get some feats related to space. In addition, we also get some faster-than-light things and explanations of how that all works. But the thing relevant to this happens near the end of "Adventures in Light Distortion."

Steven shuts off their ship's calibration and suddenly starts moving far faster than the speed of light. All of the Gems immediately lose their physical forms, and when Steven turns it back on Pearl says this is because:

"Our light-based bodies couldn't keep up when the ship was moving faster than the speed of light"

Do note, they were moving FTL previously. But this does not disprove the statement. They were able to "keep up" because the ship was anchoring them in. Once Steven turns off the calibration they immediately lose form.

Given the strong implication that the maximum speed any Gem can possibly attain is lightspeed, I think Lapis is in for a downgrade. Remember, we never see her directly fly to Homeworld, so it's possible she was picked up at one point. Space is "small" when it comes to important objects in SU, they even run into the entire squad of Rubies from earlier despite the hugely low odds of that happening.

That episode basically shut down the possibility of FTL Gems forever, so I suppose this is for the best.

@Peter. This is only for flight speed, yes. Gems cap at around MHS for Combat Speed and Reactions.

This is the most rasonable then. So next question, how far is Homeworld from Earth, or what did Lapis to get in there? If passed 28 days between "The Gem Ocean" and "Message Received" (not remember exactly the names), that's means that Homeworld is at 4848 AU max from Earth; but I guess that is irrelevant.

I believe theirs a line somewhere that says in another galaxy, and another line (in the extended theme song) that says "[from] out beyond your star" or something along those lines.

I guess it's not to unreasonable to believe she was just picked up by some Gem ship along the way.

So I guess that Lapis was intercepted, or used a teleporter, or reached a colony; there's no way that she get in there in that little timeframe by her own...

Considering how she was in the Gem Warship sent to Earth I'd say the most likely explanation is that got her along the way. If you wanna get technical, she never says she reached Homeworld IIRC, simply that Homeworld is really advanced now. And seeing as how "Homeworld" refers to both the planet and the faction, well...

Well these are kinda just needless semantics.

The question is what to change her flight speed to.

Welp, since we don't known how was that flight, she would be downgraded to At least High Hypersonic in flight speed, at least, she got any other flying speed that I don't remember.

Uhhhh, doesn't she have a feat of flying to another state or city in a minute or a few seconds? In the episode with the leaves. It was a while ago. Someone could try and calc that if they have the episode.

She also made a sonic boom in the episode with Steven's uncle, so at least Transonic.

Neh, timeframe is unknown same as distance in the first one, and the sonic boom would be transonic, but she has already a High Hypersonic speed due escaping earth. Mmm, I could speculate, Lapis are terraformers and can adapt to gravity, right? thats means that can escape from any planet, we could give her the highest escape velocity knowed from a planet, but I think is pretty especulative.

@Anton Escape velocity of Jupiter is Mach 175. But I don't think the distance is unknown with the city-to-city feat. They fly to Empire City, which is their version of New York since it has Brooklyn in it. Beach city's location is unknown, but the road that leads out of it becomes Delaware Route 1A according to the wiki.

You can put those into google directions and measure the air distance, it isn't working for me right now. The episode is Same Old World, so you could directly measure the time from when they take off to when they arrive.

@LordXcano

Got a timeframe? Because a quick google search says the rough air distance is 150 miles or so.

Most dense planet, K2-22b, has an escape velocity of Mach 503.8 (max), but if count since almost no one known their existence, shouldn't count. We can find a timeframe, but since there's a skip (at least one) it could count as cinematic time, soi not sure.

Just looked at this thread by chance. Now I really don't know anything about the verse or the circumstances of the feat, but I heard flying and escape velocity speed for the same character. So just in case someone doesn't know I want to mention, that a character that can fly can escape a planet without reaching escape velocity.

If that isn't an issue here just ignore this comment.

Well, I went to watch the episode. And there certainly is a timeframe. But said timeframe is also about the time it'd take to reach there by car or plane. So yeah.

What I'm saying is that the scene goes from day to night.

Hah, that makes Lapis even more featless, I guess that escape velocity only works for jumps, but I remember some characters that use that logic; thanks for the input, DT. If escape velocity doesn't count, then, I guess Lapis is At least Transonic (strange, that is very uncommon rating).

To think the leaked episodes would cause this much of a downgrade xD.

Jesus. ^^;

Hmm well on a serious note, i guess this is alright then if it's for the best. Such a downgrade tho....and lost possibility for FTL Gems....

I also think that this seems reasonable.

Let us not jump to conclusions. There are several factors to be analyzed. Like, Lapis is a more recent gem, the 4 are old gems, we do not know if the new ones can go to FTL. And not only that, it has already been shown that Lapis is not a common gem, since even with cracked stone, it was "normal" and still had hydrocinese at a planetary level. While Amethyst with the broken stone was giving error.

Isn't Amethyst a considerably younger Gem than Lapis? Plus, the Gems themselves are made of light if I recall, so it wouldn't really make sense for light to move faster than light.

@Knight Lapis was present at the begining of the rebellion (Heck Bismuth was the one who poofed her), she's about as old as Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl.

However, Lapis Lazulis may be designed for interplanetary travel due to their role as terraformers...

Why would their role as terraformers make them designed for interplanetary travel?

Plus, Pearl made it clear that the gems can't go FTL because they're made of light, not because of some power limitation. Unless Lapis also isn't made of light (which she is since she can fuse) then she'd have the same limit.

Shrug Just a thought.

Also, would it be possible to determine how fast the Gems are by how fast their bodies returned to normal after the Ruby ship stopped traveling FTL? Or wold that not count as a speed feat?

I can't actually find anything on Lapis' being used to terraform tbh.

And, no not really. Basically what was going on was their Gems were pinned to the wall while the ship was moving FTL. Unable to keep pace with the Gem their body stretched out behind the ship. Once it stopped moving FTL (which we don't know how many x FTL it was moving anyway) they'd return to the Gem at lightspeed.

Given that we don't know how fast the ship was moving we can't calc their speed from that. However we could calc how fast the ship was moving.

The SU wiki say anything about due leaks politics, wouldn't say something until chapters air officially.

About the Ruby ship speed, shouldn't be that high compared to light considering that the gems recovered their bodies seconds later the ship recover the gravity field or something (forget the name).

There is also the simple fact that Done >>> quote. She went from one galaxy to another in a very short time, it's a fact. Thus, it is MFTL + per done. It is not a quote from a faulty Perola (no offense) that will take this deed out of it. For now, we'll let her as MFTL + same and wait until Rebecca (or some Gem), explain how Lapis went from one galaxy to another in so long if Gems can not go to FTL. Although I do not think we'll ever get this satisfaction. Anyway. She did >>>> she said

KnightNight10 said:
There is also the simple fact that Done >>> quote. She went from one galaxy to another in a very short time, it's a fact. Thus, it is MFTL + per done. It is not a quote from a faulty Perola (no offense) that will take this deed out of it. For now, we'll let her as MFTL + same and wait until Rebecca (or some Gem), explain how Lapis went from one galaxy to another in so long if Gems can not go to FTL. Although I do not think we'll ever get this satisfaction. Anyway. She did >>>> she said
Except, we didn't really know if it was done in the first place. We assumed it was since that was just the simplest explanation, but now we have a statement that isn't possible to do which debunks the original notion.

Like Xcano said, since the first one was assumed to travel that fast and the later episode comfirmed that gems can't move faster than light, the later debunk the first one; also, not sure if is true, but Lapis was refering to the homeworld gems, not the planet itself, so is even possible that she didn't espace from the galaxy.

Xcano, are we already have a flying speed for Lapis? going with At least Transonic?

Back