• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

L vs Light, but things are really strange (7-0-1)(Grace)

Amusing idea, but how would Light and L be physically capable of properly playing 5D Chess? Is there something I'm not understanding about this?

Oops, I thought they were going to be within the setting that the 5D Chess takes place in, rather than seeing it as a video game like I do. This could work then. I'll think about this, but not right now.
They also could be only be comanding the pices without beingh able to see the other time lines, but also beingh able to comand them from the original time line if you want things to be more confusing

I watched a video to try and understand this game, and I see why you thought of this matchup! I assume that both characters will know the rules of the game when playing it. Unlike in the story of Death Note, neither character will have advantages of knowing more than the other character, aside from their own tactics, and neither character will be able to think outside the box in a way that their opponent wouldn't be able to realistically predict. I feel like Light could really put L at risk of being caught off guard by making a piece time travel in the perfect position, after influencing the game to go a certain way to Light's benefit, but at the same time, I feel like L has demonstrated that he's good at figuring out Light's strategies even without knowing him, so in these circumstances, I feel like L is cautious enough and smart enough to overcome Light in the end. If there are no objections to this, then I vote for L winning.

I watched a video to try and understand this game, and I see why you thought of this matchup! I assume that both characters will know the rules of the game when playing it. Unlike in the story of Death Note, neither character will have advantages of knowing more than the other character, aside from their own tactics, and neither character will be able to think outside the box in a way that their opponent wouldn't be able to realistically predict. I feel like Light could really put L at risk of being caught off guard by making a piece time travel in the perfect position, after influencing the game to go a certain way to Light's benefit, but at the same time, I feel like L has demonstrated that he's good at figuring out Light's strategies even without knowing him, so in these circumstances, I feel like L is cautious enough and smart enough to overcome Light in the end. If there are no objections to this, then I vote for L winning.
I don't think there are any objections, counted, should I make the win condition not winning but L uncovering Light is kira and for Light managing to stay hidden? like a more extreme version of the tennis game

I don't think there are any objections, counted, should I make the win condition not winning but L uncovering Light is kira and for Light managing to stay hidden? like a more extreme version of the tennis game
That goes beyond the scenario of a single game of 5D Chess. I think the win condition should just be to defeat the opponent at this game.

L FRA
Also, reinforcing: L figured out BY HIMSELF the DN rules and almost outsmarted Light
Now that he doesn't need to learn so the game gets fair since it starts already like it, L wins for sure

Legitimate question. How does this board game have a profile? It’s not a character or a weapon.
I don't know why the game has a profile. Now that you mention it, I should point out that this thread would be okay even if the game didn't have a profile. Matchups related to the skills of characters are allowed, which I have seen before, and in those circumstances there are never profiles for real life games such as normal chess.

I don't know why the game has a profile. Now that you mention it, I should point out that this thread would be okay even if the game didn't have a profile. Matchups related to the skills of characters are allowed, which I have seen before, and in those circumstances there are never profiles for real life games such as normal chess.
Legitimate question. How does this board game have a profile? It’s not a character or a weapon.
Something me joking about making a profile of this chess pices sinse they would have Unmesurable speed in a chess Disscussion thread and someone acctually making the profile

Any way
Counted
It’s a stomp?
Why would be?
t’s not a character or a weapon.
It probable can count as a weapon

Voting inconclusive. They’re both incredibly smart and are close to each other in most aspects. There’s no certain way to really place one above the other.

Voting inconclusive. They’re both incredibly smart and are close to each other in most aspects. There’s no certain way to really place one above the other.
Spoilers:

L figured out DN rules and almost got proof of Kira's identity that he suspected all along, while it took a lil bit of more time for Light to discover L's identity. There's a novel where L would have won if Kira didn't commit suicide, which counts as a win to me but not for L himself, as he descripts on it (L took an L lol)

With that said: when L knows the rules of the game as much as Light does, he for sure wins, no doubt.

L FRA
Also, reinforcing: L figured out BY HIMSELF the DN rules and almost outsmarted Light
Now that he doesn't need to learn so the game gets fair since it starts already like it, L wins for sure
Spoilers:

L figured out DN rules and almost got proof of Kira's identity that he suspected all along, while it took a lil bit of more time for Light to discover L's identity. There's a novel where L would have won if Kira didn't commit suicide, which counts as a win to me but not for L himself, as he descripts on it (L took an L lol)

With that said: when L knows the rules of the game as much as Light does, he for sure wins, no doubt.
Even though I also voted for L winning for a similar reason, I think that some of what you wrote is inaccurate, so for the sake of treating both characters fairly, I will clarify some things.
  • L wasn't working by himself. He had a team and many resources helping him in various ways at the beginning, and it dwindled as he got closer to the truth. It's true that L figured out plenty of the rules of the Death Note without the creative input of other people, but his strategy for trying to survive during the investigation wasn't overly elaborate due to his nature of being hidden from the public and his true name being unknown to even those close to him, so it's not as though this detail would be very helpful during a game of chess.
  • When Light lost his memories of the Death Note, he proved that he had more creativity than L.
    • Before Light lost his memories of the Death Note, he had expressed the same predictions as L, but those obviously don't directly count because Light already knew the rules of the Death Note and his own plan. However, when he lost his memories of the Death Note and observed how the predictions were correct based on how the Yotsuba group was planning deaths, Light said "It's just as we assumed, there's no doubt!" Light wasn't confused about remembering that he was able to come up with the same conclusions as L despite the Death Note being completely foreign to him at that point in time.
    • I'm reluctant to post many consecutive pages from the manga for copyright reasons, but I'll tell you that this point is based on chapter 44 Successor, the same chapter as the one from the previous point, and then it reaches the next chapter titled Crazy. (The anime episode is 20 Makeshift and is available online, so look at that if it's good enough for you.) During that part, Light came up with a successful plan to delay the deaths that the Yotsuba Group were going to cause. L said that what Light did was akin to something he would think of, but Light did it faster. This led to L having the idea of testing Light's trustworthiness by asking Light to take over his job in the event that he dies, which he thought would be what Kira would want so Kira could become unstoppable. Light not only saw through the test, but he also predicted exactly what Kira's plan ended up being, and later on he did legitimately become the second L after the original L's defeat for multiple years.
  • An alternate continuity where characters did different actions isn't a way to judge how the primary continuity versions would act.

Even trough this is fair points, they all basically focus on creativity and deduction inteligence, a lot less in strategy planing

Even trough this is fair points, they all basically focus on creativity and deduction inteligence, a lot less in strategy planing
If that's the case about what I just wrote, then the person who I was responding to wasn't describing strategic planning either. I think that what we were writing about is relevant to this versus matchup though, since we were writing about Light and L being able to understand each other's minds.

Back