• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

L (Death Note) vs Lelouch vi Britannia: A game of chess

L is hired by the Britannia government to bring Zero to justice. After doing some investigation he determins that zero must be a student who is enrolled at Ashfold Acadamy. Sespecting Lelouch since he meets of the physical traits of Zero he has game of chess to play mind games and see weather he could actually be Zero.

Even though he wants to find out whiether or not Lelouch is Zero or not he doesn't want to lose either so he's playing to win. The whole school is watching so cheating is vertually inpossible.

L has a basic understanding of geass but doesn't know all the details

One on One chess match

Whoever wins, well, wins

Speeds equalised

I mean even if L had the superior chess skills Lelouch can just use his geass and make L lose. So I think it's a stomp in Lelouch's favor.

What does that change? He just needs to look at him and say something, Lelouch is smart enough to be subtle.

but this is L were talking about, he'd make sure that there were multiple poeple around like Kallen or Suzaku who Lelouch wouldn't want to use his. L is the type of person who'd be playing real would chess were people are his pawns.

He has some basic understanding of it, he doesn't know how it exactually works but it's like when he fought Kira he has a basic drift on what he's seen him be able to do though he doesn't understand it fully.

Ah, well that changes things a lot.

If the Schneizel vs Lelouch chess match is anything to go by, then I actually give this to L with high diff. Because as we see in L's fight with Light that he would play the same that Schneizel did, very aggressively and to prove a point like how he sacrificed his own king, which throws Lelouch completely off and L can capitalize on that.

While at the same time L has already experienced the supernatural (I'm assuming he has had experience with the Death Note), so unlike before he would take necessary precautions for something like that.

If Lelouch makes a suggestion with his geass active it registered as a command. From what I remember he did it at least 3 (Suggest Britannians who beat a Japanese that you must be bored beaten elevens -or something similar- in the presence of Kallen, made Euphemia a joke which she registered as a command and ask CU of humanity as a wish with his double geass) times. He was going to use Geass on Schneizel but Suzaku prevented it. Also, considering they are close he can whisper.

Also, Extraordinary Genius vs Genius?

I think it's pretty obvious that Lelouch takes this. Plus, L sitting normally would be a huge disadvantage.

If this is in character then I don't think Lelouch is going to use his geass on someone just to win a chess game. I still think Lelouch is the clear winner here since he has shown to be really good at chess specifically, not to mention the fact that his inteligence is in a league above L's.

Voting Lelouch

Lelouch due to being established to be a master at chess. Lelouch can also subtly make L his slave or purposely lose the game with his Geass.

Given the setup, I kinda feel like Lelouch using the Geass is the best thing that could happen to L. At the very least it uses up Lelouch's one Geass over a chess game, whilst doing nothing to reduce L's suspicion. I would also assume L would have something in place to check whether he might be intentionally losing or not, given even the most basic understanding of Geass.

Of course a win is a win, regardless of whether it ends with L achieving his goal. But if I can figure that out, I would assume Lelouch can too. So that's one reason not to use Geass.

Also, how much does Lelouch know? I'd also assume if he knew enough to know this game might be important enough to risk using Geass in front of everyone, he'd also consider that the 'L' in front of him might not be the real L. Tha't's literally L's first trick in Death Note, after all. Which is a second reason not to use Geass.

I think that's enough that Lelouch would be playing honestly.

That's not to say Lelouch might not just be a better chess player than L. Just that I think the geass is a red herring.

ETA:

I legit have a hard time judging here because I'm not great at chess and also a lot of what Lelouch says about it is nonsense, so I feel like there's reasonable evidence he's just kinda bad at chess too. But L's intelligence, despite his... L-ness... seems to be mostly social. He's good at getting into people's heads and predicting what they'll do, restricting their actions, making them do what he wants, that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure that's where most of his big 'smart' moments happen - playing real world chess with people as his pawns, as Tots puts it. Playing actual real chess might be harder.

Sure, there's some use to figuring out what your opponent is thinking, psyching them out, and stuff like that, but a lot less than in something like poker. Plus, whilst L might turn out to have some weirdly advanced chess training, like he does tennis, there's no sign of that in the series. While Lelouch is all about that 'chess' thing. Even if he talks nonsense.

So win for Lelouch, but he'd have to work for it, not just use his Geass. L would have more chance in a different battle of wits.

I honestly think he might have a good chance in a game of MtG.

Back