• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kakine Teitoku Revision and Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 3 of the downgrade series, a.k.a reread old novels to figure out if characters are being wanked/exagerated!

Our subject this time is Kakine Teitoku, the #2 Level 5. Given my realizations with Accelerator and Kazakiri I was suspecting this would not end up in an upgrade or finding a cool new ability. Surprise, it didn't :(

Tiering Revision

Original Kakine is currently scaled to Accelerator City level rating. This is an issue. I've mentioned this a few times before, but directly scaling characters to each other in Kamachi series without looking into context, assuming all their attacks are equally strong and that they are giving their 100% would end up with some ridiculous stats. Even if some series do for similar feats, we do not assume Gabriel's regular attacks have the same level of energy that would be needed to move all those stars (IMO it should not even be included in his tiering at all, given its just hax that has nothing to do with his combat power like this other Kamachi character, but that's another story). For similar reasons, we do not automatically scale the speed and/or AP of characters that fight Accelerator to his, as Accelerator notoriously holds back 95% of the time like most strong characters in Index. It's why this mech with a Level 5-tier esper power doesn't scale to Accelerator, it's impossible to know how much energy Accelerator was using on their fight.

Let's take a look at Kakine's fight with Accelerator, shall we? All the following quotes are from OT15 Chapter 5.

Accelerator and Kakine Teitoku clashed head on! A shock wave exploded outwards, flattening everything, knocking down bystanders, and breaking glass windows. Even in the midst of this mess, however, each's eyes were only on their opponent.

The result for this round was clear.

Kakine Teitoku, who had taken the attack head-on, was blown backwards and smashed into a cafe with a loud crash. But Accelerator merely felt displeasure, since the other side seemed to have avoided a head on confrontation.

"So you're the esper that can control any vectors."

A voice came out of the cafe that looked like it had been hit by a bomb.

"Then, what if you were to smash into a large mass that can't be moved regardless of all the vectors you can gather? Guess that wouldn't work. As long as my vectors aren't being controlled, it's meaningless."

Completely unhurt.

Kakine Teitoku walked out of the shop with some kind of cocoon around him. No, they were wings! Six wings like that of an angel's slowly spread behind him.

[...]

Before their voices finished echoing, they clashed once more.

Against Accelerator who controlled the vectors beneath his feet and charged, Kakine Teitoku spread his wings and flew almost twenty meters to the center of the road.

Accelerator swept his arm in front of him and slashed through the air, totally taking control of the airflow vectors. Boom! A hurricane with wind speeds of a 120 meters per second blasted towards Kakine like a cannon shot.

"?!"

Waving his dexterous wings, Kakine tried to avoid the attack, but a *click* sound reached his ears. Looking down, he found that Accelerator had already closed the distance between them. Before Kakine could even figure that out, Accelerator thrust his right hand towards Kakine's chest.

[...]

Accelerator and Kakine who were flying parallel down the road suddenly changed paths and chose the shortest route to smash into each other. A four-lane crossroad was blocked completely due to the clash between those two. Nobody complained, and nobody dared to complain. Everyone here had the instinct that if they dared to speak up they would die.

The silhouettes of the two swept past each other.

A few seconds later, the air exploded and a shock-wave rang out.

"If that's the case then there is only one efficient path to take. Destroy all other plans that are prepared, so that Aleister has no other path to take. Then, as long as I'm not the spare plan, as long as I am the center of the plan, then Aleister can no longer ignore me! I don't want to destroy this city, it is still useful. That's why I'll start from devouring the core, and in the end take control of it!"

Accelerator's and Kakine's blood flew around the air

We see that in their first clash (prior to Kakine figuring out how to get through Accelerator's reflection) he avoids a head-on fight and still gets casually knocked away. After he sets up his counter the two fight a little more, both getting slightly injured. However, Kakine starts ranting about how he and Accelerator are both the same, villains, and how they are killing a lot of innocent bystanders with their little fight. Then this happens

"Ha, 'battling with you and killing off bystanders in the process', is it?"

Even when accused of this, Accelerator smiled leisurely.

"What a scumbag. It's because you have no aesthetics that you can say bullshit like that."

"Huh?"

"In the end, do you understand why you're #2 and I'm #1?"

As he laughed he spreads his arms out wide.

"Between me and you, there is an impassable wall."

Kakine was fuming at his comments, but he also noticed it.

Their surroundings.

True, the battle between Accelerator and Dark Matter had destroyed the road. The glass from the buildings had shattered, traffic lights had been blasted off, and trees had been blown away and were sticking out of the cement buildings.

But, something was missing.

Tragedies.

Glass shards had rained down from above, but there was no-one hurt. A sweeping gale had twisted the path of those shards into falling elsewhere. The advertisement signs had miraculously protected those that were too slow to run away. The others were the same, with not a single person hurt. Though it was uncertain, in their fighting to this point, probably not a single bystander had been hurt.

(I-impossible!)

Kakine felt his throat go dry.

"Are you saying… that you protected them all?"

Thinking back, the first sneak attack could have been much more powerful. But if that was the case, Last Order's companion at that time would also have been hurt.

This was his way of doing things.

Even in a death match between the #1 and #2 Level 5s, even on a battlefield where a slight mistake could get you killed, Accelerator protected the normal people who he had never met before.

"Don't joke around! Are you saying everything was under your control from the beginning?!"

Accelerator showed impatience, as if saying 'of course', and taunted Kakine for his incompetence that he could not do the same.

"Are you angry, you lowlife?"

[...]

Kakine Teitoku roared out and increased the power in his six wings. Changing the lengths, the structure, the white wings spread out and transformed into six lethal weapons that aimed at six of Accelerator's vital points.

Facing these, Accelerator only smiled.

"Bring it on."

"These are more than enough to bring you down, since I've already figured your filtering system. That sham of a defense cannot stop this!"

"Indeed, you can control matter that doesn't exist in this world."

Accelerator only wagged his index finger and made a 'feel free to do your worst' expression.

"The laws written in school textbooks don't work on them, and light and electromagnetic waves that come in contact with the Dark Matter get twisted into energy that can't possibly exist. So using energy calculation algorithms based on rules of this world will definitely have flaws."

The killing intent between the two had risen dramatically.

This crossroad was now fully saturated with the breath of death.

"Then all I have to do is include them in my calculations. To change the laws of this world into a new world that includes your Dark Matter and create a new algorithm, then it's checkmate."

"Using your vector transformation… to control my Dark Matter…?"

"Don't you think I can do it?"

"Ha, do you think you can gauge the entirety of the depths of my ability just by doing that?"

"Your depth is actually quite shallow."

"…!?"

"Shallow to the point I don't even need to try and gauge it!"

A sound of explosions ripped through the sky.

It only took an instant for the two to clash.

The victor in the match between the #1 and #2 had been decided.

[...]

In the center of the crossroad that was in upheaval, Kakine Teitoku was lying there on the ground. The white wings that had their control of the vectors taken from them, had stabbed through Kakine. A puddle of blood was slowly spreading, as if an unknown magic circle was slowly taking shape.

To recap, Accelerator had never been truly cornered during their little fight, he was never taking Kakine as seriously as Kakine thought, and he had enough time, power and skill to spare that he kept every bystander during their fight safe from collateral damage. He never saw him as an equal or as a major threat. Then he announces he knows how to undo Kakine's counter and literally oneshots him with his own wings in their next clash.

I think it's been proven that Kakine should not be automatically scaled to Accelerator. So, does he have good feats? No, the best feats he has are casually stomping Mugino and ruining some buildings.

Therefore, I think that his AP and Durability pre-revival should be "At least City Block level (Casually superior to Mugino Shizuri, casually destroys buildings), possibly City level (Can fight Accelerator and is considered both very superior to all lower Level 5s and a possible replacement for Accelerator in Aleister Crowley's plan, but he loses to Accelerator head-on clashes and he never saw him as an equal/big threat)"

Now to his "Awakening" key. Let's be honest here, it's completely featless and lasts for less than a minute without doing anything at all. The narration simply describes that he's now much more powerful and how super hyped Kakine is about this to the point he thinks he can now crush Accelerator (who's in Dark Wings mode) and can take on all espers and all armies in the world at the same time and easily win. Then he gets hilariously stomped by Accelerator, proving his confidence and the narration of himself hyping him utterly wrong (like other factually wrong statements about having perfectly mastered his power when he would later learn how to make living cells as part of his comeback and later statements from Kakine himself that he's still developing his power).

Kakine's six wings, as if responding to his roar, spread explosively. The wings that spanned several tens of meters emitted a mysterious glow, and at the same time had an inorganic feel like a machine. Almost like a giant weapon gods and angels normally use.

Flap. The air around the six wings let out a howl.

Accelerator and Dark Matter controlled the organic and inorganic powers respectively.

Different from this world, this was 'organic' and 'inorganic' in terms of a different world. The One Who Wields the Power of God and The One Who Has Touched the Territory of God. Now the odds of victory were even, only that unlike Accelerator, Kakine hadn't lost himself.

An unprecedented power was expanding within him.

And, he had perfectly mastered this power.

Now the position of the #1 and #2 of Academy City was about to be reversed. This was neither a bluff nor an exaggeration. He now believed even if he fought against all the armies in the world, and even every esper in Academy City, he could emerge victorious and unharmed.

"Hahaha!! 'Uwahahahaha'!!"

Kakine laughed and waved his completely awakened six wings down at Accelerator.

He no longer saw Accelerator as a threat, but only a thing to test his new powers on.

Splat.

Kakine Teitoku's body was pressed into the asphalt by a great power.

"Wha…?!"

He completely didn't understand what just happened.

Accelerator's wings didn't move at all. He only stared at Kakine and slightly moved his hands. With just that, he defeated Kakine who had absolute power and ground him deep into the ground.

His right hand that had the Tweezers on it was torn off from the elbow downwards.

(Ah! …Uwah! Wh-Wha?! Just what is—)

Accelerator must have changed vectors and energies of some sort, and redirected those towards Kakine as an attack. Even though he understood, even if Accelerator had gathered all the energies in this world, this phenomenon shouldn't have happened.

The Kakine Teitoku now couldn't lose to this world.

Unreasonable.

Inexplicable.

With an overwhelming presence Accelerator walked step by step towards Kakine Teitoku. His steps were like the countdown until the end of Kakine's life, when it reached zero it would be all over. And, Accelerator had reached that last step.

Should be simply put as Unknown.

His City-level post-revival key should be okay, as he kept up with Rensa just fine until Rensa used Dark Wings, then he got stomped. Still, it should be change from "at least 7-B" to "Likely 7-B" to be safe.

Regenerationn and Immortality

Kakine never actually says he will live as long as a particle of Dark Matter is left, he and the narration simply make it clear that he's now sustained by his own ability and Dark Matter Network, so as long as there's Dark Matter left in the world he can just rebuild his body from it. We simply now that this would be particle-level regenerating since that's what Dark Matter is, as mentioned in OT15:

This pair of black wings, Kakine had seen it before, and knew what it was.

The elementary particles that didn't exist in this world, Dark Matter.

However, we should probably not assume given he has never regenerated at that level. His best feats would be regenerating from having everything but his feet being destroyed by a Meltdowner beam, outright melting himself down to a puddle and remaking his body and Accelerator making sure to destroy the Sister clones with a Meltdowner reflection so that there would be not even a small 1mm piece left (implying they would regenerate if a small piece like that was left). Therefore, I think that his Regenerationn should be (At least Low-High, can easily regenerate from a puddle or from small pieces of his body) and add Type 8 Immortality to his page (His existence is sustained by his own Dark Matter and he can remake his own body as long as there's Dark Matter in the world).

Largely disagree.

On the AP part: if there were such a huge difference Accelerator could have won instantly without having to bother protecting all the people.

Accelerator is stronger, but not that much and not in brute force. Different from Gabriel his feat is not due to a specific technique and the Quiong Qi fight was Accelerator largely dominating with his opponent having to run away.

Accelerators dominance in this battle is largely in the realms of control of his power and ability to process the battlefield to do many things at once. He could have used that to end the fight quicker, but the reason he acted like he had was the fact that doing so would have caused causalities. If he could simply have one shot kakine that would have been no issue.

Accelerator being 63000 time stronger in terms of pure fire power makes no sense considering the battle.

On the Angel part: To Aru uses a power system related to Kabbalah with normal humans < saints < angels < gods.

Simply the fact that he awakened as an angel should be sufficient to put him at "likely" above what saints can do, meaning his ranking is fine as it is.

On the likely 7-B: I don't think putting it likely "just to be safe" is appropiate. One could probably remove the "at least", though.

For the regen and immortality part I am fine with it. That descrition was made before type 8 existed. With it, putting it like that makes more sense, I suppose.

But Accelerator did easily win in an instant once he figured out Dark Matter, and was obviously holding back earlier, just like he explicitly held back in his first surprise attack on Kakine instead of immediately splatting him so as to not kill Uiharu. It's the same circumstances with the Qiong Qi, his fight with Kakine is literally:

1. Surprise attack Kakine, explicitly holding back to not kill Uiharu

2. Kakine charges Accelerator avoiding a direct counter and gets reflected into a building.

3. Kakine comes out of the building and starts blabbering about Dark Matter. Accelerator throws some wind that Kakine dodges and rushes him while he's distracted. Just before he can touch him and oneshot him, Kakine uses his light diffraction trick and Accelerator backs up.

4. Kakine throws some wind at Accelerator to gauge and analyze his reflection. Then he includes his findings on his wings and sends Accelerator flying into a tree (Kakine is not using his full power or Accelerator would be dead or heavily injured here). Kakine explains his counter and Accelerator dodges the next wing attack.The two fly and clash for a short while causing small injuries to each other (so neither is using their full power or one of the two would be dead).

5. Kakine brings up the villain talk and Accelerator mocks him and his thoughts of being comparable to the #1 esper, revealing that through steps 2-4 Accelerator has had the freedom and power to spare in protecting all bystanders from collateral damage. Kakine powers up and claims Accelerator cannot beat him now that he has a way around his reflection. Accelerator is unimpressed, calls him an idiot and points out he can just learn Dark Matter's laws to incorporate them into his vector calculations.

6. Accelerator backs up his claim and easily oneshots Kakine.

Accelerator is that much stronger in raw force and he clearly overpowered Kakine with ease once he had a few minutes to understand Dark Matter, and even you admit he was holding back so as to not cause more collateral damage. He did explicitly oneshot Kakine in an instant like you claim he should be able to do with their difference on power, so clearly the difference in power exists. He just holds back all the damn time, that's why he didn't one-hit kill Misaka 10032, Touma, Qiong Qi, Awaki, Kakine, etc.

Accelerator being 63000 'time' stronger in terms of pure 'fire power' makes no sense considering the battle.

Writers like Kamachi do not consider how certain feats might make a character many tens, hundreds or thousands of times stronger than another character. A few facts are obvious here: Accelerator holds back all the damn time and has City level feats and statements. Kakine was clearly very inferior to Accelerator and does not scale directly in raw strength. Kakine's best feats pre-revival are cutting a building in half vertically, ruining an intersection and casually defeating Mugino.

Can you give me a good argument for Kakine pre-revival being City level, considering the evidence clearly against it?

On the Angel part: To Aru uses a power system related to Kabbalah with normal humans < saints < angels < gods.

Simply the fact that he awakened as an angel should be sufficient to put him at "likely" above what saints can do, meaning his ranking is fine as it is.

No, he's absolutly featless and was literally curbstomped by Dark Wings Accelerator. Angel does not automatically mean stronger than anyone else, AIM Burst and Taowu were creatures of angelic nature and neither were particularly above Saints or high-tier for the verse, with AIM Burst being defeated by Mikoto without much trouble once it's Regenerationn was cut off and Taowu being just a flesh mass whose most impressive feature is the big explosion it almost made upon being defeated by Estelle and the others.

I agree with the AP downgrades and adding Type 8 Immortality, but i'll have to disagree with the regen downgrade. If he can regenerate as long as there's Dark Matter in the world and Dark Matter is a bunch of elementary particles that shouldn't exist, i don't see why he would be unable to regenerate from a single particle of it.

I also disagree for similiar reasons to radiance.

Accelerator beating Kakine in one hit isn't really surprising considering his power and understanding of dark matter at that point.

I also strongly disagree with downgrading his regen. Since hes literally regenerating from his particles of dark matter. We dont need to see him reform using only one particle. We know he is because thats the level at which dark matter functions.

we do not assume Gabriel's regular attacks have the same level of energy that would be needed to move all those stars

Slightly offtopic but Toaru is one of the very few verses that wouldn't do that. People would just defend it with the AoE fallacy. This is partly why I consider the To aru series to be one of the best for accurate profiles.

This is probably the most insightful input you'll get since only me you or DT read this series here.

@LordAizenSama

RadianceQ's reasons for disagreeing with the AP downgrade is: "if there were such a huge difference Accelerator could have won instantly without having to bother protecting all the people" but Radiance also admits that Accelerator couldn't use his full power because there are innocents around, and Accelerator did literally win instantly after he figured out how Dark Matter works so I don't really see the validity of that counterargument.

The regen downgrade would be because it's an unproven claim, his best regen feat is Low-High. If people are still okay with giving him High even though he lacks the actual feat I'm perfectly okay with it (rather, after the past few downgrades and ability removals I'll take anything we get).

I wouldnt say its unproven. If you mean it is unshown thats because its regen on such a small level you cant see it. Theres only one way dark matter can regen, I'm kind of confused on the downgrade for that.

Yeah I guess. but he still put up a fight that Accelerator and had taken a hit earlier, albeit accelerator was hding back but on the otherhand Kakine was completely unharmed also

How about Possibly 7-B then?

I mean that he has never been reduced to a single particle of Dark Matter and recovered from that, whenever he has made a body he has always had access to either a large puddle of Dark Matter or his real organs.

The first clash wasn't really Accelerator hitting Kakine, it was Kakine ramming into him and bouncing back (so his Durability with Dark Matter scales to his AP). Later they clash a few times but neither is using full power or getting anything more than glancing hits since they injure each other but not to the point it affects the fight at all (so superficial cuts and small injuries like that from Kakine's wings and Accel's...wind, maybe?)

Okay, maybe this is a small misunderstanding, the downgrade does include the "possibly 7-B" bit. Kakine might be comparable enough to Accelerator to belong in that tier, but we can't know for sure since he was clearly inferior to an Accelerator who wasn't giving its all.

I am leaning towards agreeing with RadianceQ and LordAizenSama. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back