• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jujutsu Kaisen Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feats > author being wrong about their speed scale and its relation to IRL stuff. Maki was casually hypersonic in combat speed as a mid tier at BoS. In the latest chapters, Hikari reacts to both lightning and an explosion at point blank. The most it correlates to is JjK having subsonic movement/travel speed for the most part, with projection sorcerer granting fluid supersonic speed that overwhelms others who can only react/use combat speed. But as far as reactions go, the verse is well into hypersonic and I plan on making an upgrade thread for reaction speed once I finish my current CRT.

Calculations cannot go against the clear speed statements given by the author, that makes no sense.
It is much more likely that the assumptions of the calculations are wrong, for example the rubber bullets in Maki's feat.
Not really. The specific number derived from safe assumptions may be from fans but the content is still from the author. Hakari dodging lightning inches from his face is not going to net numbers close to supersonic in any reality remotely close to ours and Gege chose to display that level of speed.

Rubber bullets like the ones Maki used still got supersonic+ results and the one calculated was the real one she made with her cursed technique, which is why Maki comments on it. Mind you, Maki was was also casually slicing apart her bullets from close range throughout the whole fight and was only caught off-guard because of the real one being made from cursed energy and being her 7th shot. So either way you slice it, Gege clearly showed these levels of speed are literally something BoS Maki could achieve and has since been surpassed by higher tiers.

Feats > author being wrong about their speed scale and its relation to IRL stuff. Maki was casually hypersonic in combat speed as a mid tier at BoS. In the latest chapters, Hikari reacts to both lightning and an explosion at point blank. The most it correlates to is JjK having subsonic movement/travel speed for the most part, with projection sorcerer granting fluid supersonic speed that overwhelms others who can only react/use combat speed. But as far as reactions go, the verse is well into hypersonic and I plan on making an upgrade thread for reaction speed once I finish my current CRT.
I'd usually agree with this but, but the manga is pretty explicit

I'd usually agree with this but, but the manga is pretty explicit
IT being explicit doesn't really mean much given the main point being Gege not being aware of the speed scale he's already created with one character let alone the entire series. To take this statement seriously you'd have to posit it takes precedence over other on-panel feats from multiple fights, instead of the alternative that it's a low-end outlier from the author using precedence from the same work. The latter seems much more rational to me.

Well I have also seen that they validate guides to upgrade characters, I guess they are site preferences.
Well feats wise the speed calculation is better than taking author statements. We don't need to downgrade character just so author doens't know how speed tier works.

Why only consider author statments for smaller things & ignore real feats. When author states a character can destroy a building or something but he couldn't even punch thru wall we don't take author statements seriously but only when these types of things we needs to take Gege statement seriously?

My English sucks my bad.

Not really. The specific number derived from safe assumptions may be from fans but the content is still from the author. Hakari dodging lightning inches from his face is not going to net numbers close to supersonic in any reality remotely close to ours and Gege chose to display that level of speed.

Rubber bullets like the ones Maki used still got supersonic+ results and the one calculated was the real one she made with her cursed technique, which is why Maki comments on it. Mind you, Maki was was also casually slicing apart her bullets from close range throughout the whole fight and was only caught off-guard because of the real one being made from cursed energy and being her 7th shot. So either way you slice it, Gege clearly showed these levels of speed are literally something BoS Maki could achieve and has since been surpassed by higher tiers.
I'm not sure about that, the author also showed Itadori having problems with attacks barely above sound, so there is a huge discrepancy between the author's intent and the conclusions of the calculations.

But if statements>Fan Calcs and ratings

When do we get to start using exponential black flash and not ignoring that
Death of the author exists, and no, that's not the case for speed given that these statements are consistently made. Stuff like "above Subsonic speed" and "Mach 3," indicating a very consistent progression.

The Black Flash exponential creates an outlier, not to mention it's incredibly hard to quantify because the AP value increases by a different amount depending on what you use. For example, let's say there's a character that scales to 1 ton. 1 ton is also 4.184e+9 Joules. If you used the 2.5 power on 1 ton, you'd still have 1 ton. If you used the 2.5 power on 4.184e+9 Joules, you end up with a Joule value that equates to about 260 teratons. See how things get messy? They're the same value, yet depending on which one you use an exponential for, the resulting value changes.

It gets incredibly messy to work with.

Last edited:
Death of the author exists, and no, that's not the case for speed given that these statements are consistently made. Stuff like "above Subsonic speed" and "Mach 3," indicating a very consistent progression.
However the feats themselves disagree with this, that's the issue. If the feats consistently disagree, i.e bullet catching, lightning stuff, etc, then yes, you can still apply death of the author for speed. A massive dissonance between statements and feats shouldn't just automatically gravitate to whichever is lower, find which is more consistent, and given the amount of potential calcs, I'm willing to bet feats might end up more consistent.

So I'm gonna have to disagree with this thread as well
The Black Flash exponential creates an outlier, not to mention it's incredibly hard to quantify because the AP value increases by a different amount depending on what you use. For example, let's say there's a character that scales to 1 ton. 1 ton is also 4.184e+9 Joules. If you used the 2.5 power on 1 ton, you'd still have 1 ton. If you used the 2.5 power on 4.184e+9 Joules, you end up with a Joule value that's about 260 teratons. See how things get messy? They're the same value, yet depending on which one you use an exponential for, the resulting value changes.

It gets incredibly messy to work with.
No it's pretty simple, you just use your brain and pick the one that doesn't give you the same number when you use an exponent on it, because otherwise it's not a power boost, I'm not seeing the point here.

Last edited:
I already had an entire argument with Insert_Creative_Name in the general thread for this, so I'll simply say, we tend to on this wiki, dismiss in-universe statements if feats we've been shown don't back them up. In the case of JJK, the feats go above Mach 3 generally so this statement is liable to be dismissed. I pretty much end up agreeing with Dr.White on how what really ends up getting limited is travel speed but stuff like combat speed and reactions are more consistently supported higher.

However the feats themselves disagree with this, that's the issue. If the feats consistently disagree, i.e bullet catching, lightning stuff, etc, then yes, you can still apply death of the author for speed. A massive dissonance between statements and feats shouldn't just automatically gravitate to whichever is lower, find which is more consistent, and given the amount of potential calcs, I'm willing to bet feats might end up more consistent.

So I'm gonna have to disagree with this thread as well
I'm finding what's more consistent, and that's the statements. I mean, the fact that Naoya got the "above Subsonic" statement then when he came back stronger than before got the Mach 3 statement indicates such a consistent progression for Naoya himself. Saying it's just "automatically gravitating to whichever is lower" is about as disingenuous as me saying you're going with the feats because they're higher.
No it's pretty simple, you just use your brain and pick the one that doesn't give you the same number when you use an exponent on it, because otherwise it's not a power boost, I'm not seeing the point here.
Let's use an actual value from the verse, then: Gojo's 7.97 kiloton feat. Let's say there's someone that scales to this feat, and then they use Black Flash. 7.97 kilotons can also be written as 7970 tons, and also as 3.334648e+13 Joules. Apply the 2.5 exponent, and you get the following:

7.97 kilotons -> 179.33 kilotons

7970 tons -> 5.67081923e+9 tons -> 5.67 gigatons

3.334648e+13 Joules -> 6.42133006e+33 Joules -> 1.53 yottatons

The same value becomes three different values depending on what you use. You can say "use your brain" all you like, but the inconsistency of dealing with exponents in general, not just with JJK, makes this really hard to quantify. Though, in JJK's case, it also doesn't help that characters have taken hits from Black Flashes from other characters that were comparable to them. If it was an amp to the power of 2.5, this would not be the case.

Agree with the thread, although it could have been compiled better to include other proofs.
Anyway, there have been consistent statements of supersonic, transonic and subsonic speed. Even before this

And what you guys mean by feats is fan calcs? And as far as this goes those are pure head canons

Statements >> head canons, any day.

The only statements of transonic speed comes from piercing blood, which we have several characters dodging, reacting to, and blocking at close range. These also don't function as a cap to these character's speeds due to the stated speed being for a techinque. Subsonic, only comes from Naoya's description, who was stated to surpass that speed. And supersonic also only comes from Naoya, who was stated to be going faster than sound before.

And while you might say that statements are better than the calculated feats, the standard for the wiki is in fact the inverse.

The only statements of transonic speed comes from piercing blood, which we have several characters dodging, reacting to, and blocking at close range.
Calculating of those said reaction and dodging won’t even reach the speed of the piercing blood. And this will consistently put those characters around transonic speed, maybe lower or a little higher
These also don't function as a cap to these character's speeds due to the stated speed being for a techinque. Subsonic, only comes from Naoya's description, who was stated to surpass that speed.
He was stated to surpass that speed then later on given a cap to his speed, that’s pretty clear
And supersonic also only comes from Naoya, who was stated to be going faster than sound before.
Which makes these statements consistent
And while you might say that statements are better than the calculated feats, the standard for the wiki is in fact the inverse.
Not once have I ever seen the wiki take a fan calc above an inverse statement, The only situation that happens is if there is no way the statement can be correct in any form. E.g. licht saying someone going at SOL/FTL speed will create a black hole in FF but somehow shinra goes SOL/FTL and only goes back in time, in this case this statement won’t allow us to give shinra High 3-A, simply because this is wrong and clearly a speculation on licht part who was later proven wrong in later showings. It is a case by case scenario and in this case the statements have been consistent.
Fans calculated maki to have HS speed but she gets blitzed by Mach 3 after struggling with someone just above subsonic prior to that. That’s consistent to me
Anyway, what standard are you talking about exactly?

Last edited:
Calculating of those said reaction and dodging won’t even reach the speed of the piercing blood
Seeing as one of the calcs we do have, for Yuji of all people, ends up putting him at Hypersonic you're wrong on that one.
He was stated to surpass that speed then later on given a cap to his speed, that’s pretty clear
You're combining two statements I didn't mean to. I was talking Piercing Blood didn't put a cap on the speeds of the characters cause it's only the stated speed of the techinque.
Which makes these statements consistent
Statements might be consistent with one another, but they aren't consistent with the feats.
Not once have I ever seen the wiki take a fan calc above an inverse statement, so what standard are you talking about exactly?
You should know, seeing as you were part of this thread.

Death of the Author is only a thing when we are talking about statements made outside of the work, if the statement is within the verse then it's just as applicable as any feat, the question should be asked which is more consistent, the statement or the feats.

Last edited:
We don't actually see her "... - not react" ing to him
We know she got grossly overpowered due to the injuries but we don't know for sure wether she couldn't react to it

And Maki hadn't planned on dodging her tactic was to wait for him to approach her for a counterattack.
this is a NLF

The only statements of transonic speed comes from piercing blood, which we have several characters dodging, reacting to, and blocking at close range. These also don't function as a cap to these character's speeds due to the stated speed being for a techinque. Subsonic, only comes from Naoya's description, who was stated to surpass that speed. And supersonic also only comes from Naoya, who was stated to be going faster than sound before.

iirc It was stated to Exceed the Speed of Sound so it was stated to be Supersonic

There's the description of Naoya revving up and surpassing Subsonic speed, Maki then says in 193 that he approached her at the Speed of Sound then

Cursed Womb Naoya is already stated to be Supersonic

Seeing as one of the calcs we do have, for Yuji of all people, ends up putting him at Hypersonic you're wrong on that one.
My bad, I will like to see the calc in question, but that also brings the context of narrative
Let’s say Character A was said to be Sol and all his attacks are Sol and then we have character B struggling in a fight with character A speed wise. Later on character B got a calc that puts him 5-10times faster than light. In these case do we take the statement or the calc?

Well certainly the statements as the calc is counter-intuitive and the calc is gotten from the sol statement in the first place.
You're combining two statements I didn't mean to. I was talking Piercing Blood didn't put a cap on the speeds of the characters cause it's only the stated speed of the techinque.
Yes, neither did it place it far above, if piercing blood was seen as a very impressive attack due to its speed
Statements might be consistent with one another, but they aren't consistent with the feats.
The people who performed those calculated feat got thrashed by a way lower speed, not only the fact that statement would take precedent any other feats like that becomes an outlier.
Also the statements are pretty consistent
You should know, seeing as you were part of this thread.
Which is exactly what I said, as woks said it is a case by case basis and what can be argued better. And he even gave this example
“Not actually true, and an easy example of that is that infamous flash feat which is something like three trillion times the speed of light being called "just below the speed of light" by narration.”

Now refer to my own licht narration of sol/FTL in ff

Also these

You could show how x rating would cause a plot hole because it allows them to do y action which they'd have done and solved the plot, or how the character is harmed by or shows other limitations that they wouldn't suffer at such a level, or how other characters display feats nowhere near that character yet are treated as though they're on a similar level, etc.”

No way is a MHS character is unable to dodge supersonic attack.

We don't actually see her "... - not react" ing to him
We know she got grossly overpowered due to the injuries but we don't know for sure wether she couldn't react to it

And Maki hadn't planned on dodging her tactic was to wait for him to approach her for a counterattack.
This is pretty blatant she was literally shocked by the fact that he has reached Mach 3, meaning the factor that caused her predicament is naoya speed.

This is pretty blatant she was literally shocked by the fact that he has reached Mach 3,
Shocked as in how?
One can't tell that, she isn't saying anything and she's KO'd.

"That Speed Reached Mach 3" was a narrators statement not hers.
There's no way she'd be able to know how fast he is Exactly, with an assertion of such as "Mach 3"

Shocked as in how?
One can't tell that, she isn't saying anything and she's KO'd.

"That Speed Reached Mach 3" was a narrators statement not hers.
There's no way she'd be able to know how fast he is Exactly, with an assertion of such as "Mach 3"
Which makes it even better as still means that the only reason she lost was due to naoya speed, still pretty simple.

I find that going with calcs>statement is the better option personally (I'll write a more detailed reason when at home), but I wouldn't be too bothered with a going with them

Which makes it even better as still means that the only reason she lost was due to naoya speed, still pretty simple.
It calls back to Naoya's Power and Speed correlation that he gets stronger as he accelerates, we know due to that speed Maki got overpowered
Yet we don't know if she couldn't react, we don't see what happens and we only get the aftermath

This begs the question. Are the calcs more consistent or are the statements?
Generally the calcs put them in the ballpark of Hypersonic to Massively Hypersonic.

Of the accepted ones, we have a hypersonic calc from Maki considered, another hypersonic calc from Yuji, a high hypersonic calc from a guy who fought alongside megumi, and a massively hypersonic calc from Hikari from just two or three chapters before this one. Which gives us about four calcs which go against these statements surrounding Naoya.

I'm also confident that calcing Maki striking Naoya at his top speed, and a few other characters reacting to and defending Piercing Blood will produce results Supersonic and above.

It calls back to Naoya's Power and Speed correlation that he gets stronger as he accelerates, we know due to that speed Maki got overpowered
Yet we don't know if she couldn't react, we don't see what happens and we only get the aftermath
Nope the statement “naoya has reached Mach 3”
Literally means she lost due to speed nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back