• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

John Carpenter's The Thing Revision

The Thing's current profile. My blog revising it.

Currently the profile has two major misconceptions about the Thing and a few missing details. I been wanting to fix up it's profile for a while now, and considering John Carpenter's The Thing is one of the few verses on this site I actually consider myself an expert on, I figured I'd try my hand at it. Not to seem antagonistic, but it seems to me that the current profile was made by a general movie monster fan as opposed to just a straight up Thing fan, which leads into my first issue,

ISSUE 1: Currently The Thing is portrayed as a singular shapeshifting entity as opposed to how it actually behaves, which is like that of a colony of single celled organisms. You can see this any time the Thing is attacked. Here a piece of the Thing abandons the whole as it burns and here blood taken from an assimilated person tries to escape a hot wire.

ISSUE 2: Multiple references are made to the "infecting" people. This is also a misconception. What actually occures, as you can see here, is Thing cells devour another organsim's cells and absorb the DNA to create an almost peferct copy. Almost because they are still Thing cells, they just look like other organisms.

The fix for the first issue is to repersent the Thing on both the micro and macro scale, as both singular cells acting with full autonomy and multiple cells working as a singular organism. The second issue is fixed with just some change in wording on the profile as a whole. Both of these changes are repersented in my blog.

The above two issues are the more serious problem, but a few minor issues also exist in the form of missing information and clarification. Powers like Durability Negation, the Thing has assimilated people with just a touch, and multiple types of Immortality are just straight up missing, while Biological Manipulation would just be a clarification on exsiting abilities.

Alright, I think that's it. This is my first time revising and existing page on the site, so I'd love to hear any feedback on this, and I hope this is sufficient to get the profile updated.

Most of this looks kosher, but there are just two things that don't look right.

You've changed the range from Standard Melee Range to Extended Melee Range. Why's that?

Under the age heading, the word 'exist' is spelled incorrectly.

But, aside from that, I'm picking up what you're putting down. The current profile is just straight up incorrect at the moment, and needed a revision. Plus, you appear to have intergrated that issues well into the new profile.

I'll grab hold of a couple of other people who might be interested in this.

If I understand it correctly, Extended Melee Range is used when a character has a weapon to lengthen their reach. The Thing acomplishes this easily by forming appendages that are much longer then the average human reach. You can see it here, 13th image down. As for the spelling mistake, i'll fix it later.

Any chance you could put in a better image of the Thing too? I don't think the current one does it justice.

EDIT: Also, immune to being detected by animals doesn't seem right. The dogs didn't react at first when the Dog-Thing was brought into the base, but after a while when it was just sitting there they started barking and panicking before it even started shapeshifting.

@Damage3245 Are you refering to the current profile pic or the one in my blog, cause I have a couple back up pics if nessasary.

EDIT: The immune to animals thing is more to do with how perfect of a copy the Thing becomes. The real dogs didn't become agitated untill the Thing-dog had sat still for an extended period of time, suggesting that the transformation had begun internally as opposed to externally. Honestly I could remove it if nessasary. It's more of a holdover form the previous profile I didn't have a real problem with.

Ah, I meant the one in the current profile.

Also, you should add Duplication to the list of abilities since it can detach parts of itself at will. (Not strictly cloning, but able to make many versions of itself essentially).

Or would that work under parasitic possession? Unless your talking about it droping peices of itself. Or it could be there for a cells natural processes.

I'm talking about it being able to separate pieces of its body from itself (the Thing in the 2011 movie detached both of its arms into autonomous little creatures).

Cool, got it added. Also, what about the animals thing?

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
EDIT: The immune to animals thing is more to do with how perfect of a copy the Thing becomes. The real dogs didn't become agitated untill the Thing-dog had sat still for an extended period of time, suggesting that the transformation had begun internally as opposed to externally. Honestly I could remove it if nessasary. It's more of a holdover form the previous profile I didn't have a real problem with.
Should I keep it or drop it? I'm really fine with either.

I'd say drop it. It's not exactly combat applicable anyway.

I say keep it. We are an indexing site, not a debating one. This camoflauge could allow the Thing to have an advantage early battle.

So I gave it some more thought and came to the conclusion that keeping it works in favor of Clarification, and since that's one of the main issues, it probably a good idea to keep it.

I think that the first post seems to make sense.

I think that you can probably apply the changes.

Back