• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

John Hancock (Hancock) Ability Review

I just finished watching the movie for the first time and after reviewing the character page I noticed some things that seemed off, that I wanted to verify.
1. Weather Manipulation (Can create tornadoes)
While Mary, another individual of his race/species, does posses this power it is never shown that he does. Additionally Mary has Heat Manipulation (Was able to cook and pop all the bags of popcorn around Hancock's kitchen with seemingly no effort) as is seen in the scene where she meets Hancock at his home and can generate snow storms as part of her Weather Manipulation, in case one wants to make the argument that their power sets are identical. Additionally Mary states that she is stronger than Hancock. She says this with a smug expression indicating she is possibly much stronger than him, this could be interpreted to mean just higher control/intensity over her abilities or maybe she has more abilities than him.
2. Immunity to toxins and diseases & Enhanced Hearing
Unless I missed it I did not notice any indication of Poison/Toxin immunity. Given he is effected by alcohol that indicates to me that he would be susceptible to certain types of poisons.
There is one scene where he is sitting on a roof and is listening on the conversation happening inside. I'm unsure if this would qualify as enhanced hearing, if it does it wouldn't be a significant caliber of the ability.
3. Self-Sustenance (Type 1)
It is unknown how long the trip to the moon and back took. It's possible he doesn't need oxygen or maybe he was able to hold his breath long enough. From what I have seen it's unclear.
4. Speed
It's listed that he created a crater on the moon, however due to the original craters and coloration being visible under the red of the heart it looks to me that he didn't make any more, and simply colored over the surface of the moon.

5. Durability "Can withstand hits from a being as powerful as himself"
As noted above, Mary states herself to be much stronger than Hancock. Due to his amnesia he only has 80 years of experience with his powers, while Mary has at least 2 thousand. Although she was most likely not using her full power, as she was trying to get him to leave and not kill him. So it's possible the listed rating is accurate, I just wanted to add clarification details.
6. Weaknesses/Heat Resistance
In one scene he had just come from a burning building, most of his clothes had burned off yet he was seemingly fine. However he was in a rush to eat some ice cream to cool himself down. This indicates to me that he was resistant to any real damage from the fire, but having his body enveloped in significant heat can be very unpleasant.
7. Possibly Emotional Weakness
He is shown to have a particular trigger for being called an asshole, this can set him off as is shown in a couple scenes. One of which he throws a kid into the sky, he catches him after. He does go to anger management group sessions over the course of the film, so it's possible he overcomes this at some point. However Mary in one scene displays a similar trigger after being called crazy. I'm reaching a bit on this one but it could be that their species in general is simply more emotionally sensitive than humans.
8. Age
I feel the age should list his mental age of 80 next to his biological age of multi thousand.

Last edited:
1. it comes from a interview stating that the tornados were his doing while mary created the storm

2. yeah i don't remember it either, maybe some scene regarding hospitals? and yeah that could be enhanced senses if the talk wasn't loud

3. agreed, hell his power rating relies on the crater being done in 30 minutes

4. this would be a downgrade to all of his stats, not just speed

anyway no, the borders show a very obvious depth there, is likely that's just the interior of the moon since it is not gonna be a single color or anything, or they couldve seen the craters being way deeper than they actually are, or they just didn't think it would matter

5. considering mary's overall attitude towards him, i'd argue she didn't imply a massive gap or was just mocking him, and it doesn't make sense at all for him to not scale to her, she was desperate to stop him from revealing her secret, knocking him out or anything would definitely be done if it was that easy

experience doesn't mean she needs to be that much stronger instead of skilled, and is not like hancock lost his strength from the amnesia, they lost their strength due to being togheter too much

6. not sure why it would be a weakeness, seems like a low level resistance

7. fair weakeness, also the final of the movie implies that he still hates that word, but from what i recall he smirked at it so he might have better control now, like it is just a insult to him rather than a massive offense

8. agreed, 80 mentally (lost his memories 80 years ago) or something

1. it comes from a interview stating that the tornados were his doing while mary created the storm

2. yeah i don't remember it either, maybe some scene regarding hospitals? and yeah that could be enhanced senses if the talk wasn't loud

3. agreed, hell his power rating relies on the crater being done in 30 minutes

4. this would be a downgrade to all of his stats, not just speed

anyway no, the borders show a very obvious depth there, is likely that's just the interior of the moon since it is not gonna be a single color or anything, or they couldve seen the craters being way deeper than they actually are, or they just didn't think it would matter

5. considering mary's overall attitude towards him, i'd argue she didn't imply a massive gap or was just mocking him, and it doesn't make sense at all for him to not scale to her, she was desperate to stop him from revealing her secret, knocking him out or anything would definitely be done if it was that easy

experience doesn't mean she needs to be that much stronger instead of skilled, and is not like hancock lost his strength from the amnesia, they lost their strength due to being togheter too much

6. not sure why it would be a weakeness, seems like a low level resistance

7. fair weakeness, also the final of the movie implies that he still hates that word, but from what i recall he smirked at it so he might have better control now, like it is just a insult to him rather than a massive offense

8. agreed, 80 mentally (lost his memories 80 years ago) or something
Ah, I was unaware of the interviews, and personally I don't like counting them. I prefer only stuff in the actual media. But still good to note.
I also didn't look at the moon close enough, now that you point it out there is definitely some depth.

Back