• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Thing (John Carpenter) [CRT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, The Thing's profile takes into account things from the 2002 video game and Dark Horse comics, what's the problem with this? that the game and the comic series contradict each other.

In the video game, which if I remember correctly takes place a few days after the first movie, Childs is dead and we find his frozen corpse. In the Dark Horse comic series, Childs is alive, and encounters MacReady just a few hours after the events of the first film, and is subsequently infected by The Thing. Therefore, the comics and the video game cannot occur in the same timeline.

Personally, I think we should get rid of the comics material (and maybe do a separate profile for that version of The Thing), since Universal seems to have been more involved in the creation of the game than in the creation of the comics, and apparently, the game was endorsed by John Carpenter (Who also gives voice to one of the characters in the video game).

this is fair, sure

I was thinking the Northman Nightmare comic can be kept however, that comic in particular was part of a promotional tie-in with 2011 movie, also acts as a prequel to the movie as well, iirc.

this is fair, sure

I was thinking the Northman Nightmare comic can be kept however, that comic in particular was part of a promotional tie-in with 2011 movie, also acts as a prequel to the movie as well, iirc.
Okay, so I think we can keep the material from that comic in the profile.

I do not think we should keep either since they ruin the whole point of the ending (y)

I do not think we should keep either since they ruin the whole point of the ending (y)
AOGH2A.gif

Eh, I don't think that's a valid reason xd.

Jokes aside though both the comic and the game seem to have equal claim to canonicity.

Game has John Carpenter's backing whereas comics are serving as promotional material for a canonical entry. And they contradict each-other. Might be best to just get rid of both.

I mean I presume the Northman comic doesn't have that issue, given it's a prequel, and exists separately to the rest.

Jokes aside though both the comic and the game seem to have equal claim to canonicity.

Game has John Carpenter's backing whereas comics are serving as promotional material for a canonical entry.
I'm not entirely sure about that, Universal (who has the rights to The Thing) was the one who had the idea to make the video game, and had much more involvement in the creation of the game than in the creation of the comics (where I think they participated in nothing more than saying "yes" to Chuck Pfarrel to make them).

The existence of the game should also serve to dismiss the possible fact that Universal considered the comics canonical, since by creating the game as a sequel to the first film, and completely ignoring the plot of the comics, they did not consider them canonical when they created the game.

I think the game has enough reasons to be treated as canon (It was created by Universal and endorsed by John Carpenter). In fact, since Carpenter did not participate in The Thing (2011) and Universal did, the game has more reasons to be canon than the 2011 film.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back