• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Iza Jinjou ni! Shoubu! Samurai Shodown Revision Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
A samurai fears not death.
Struggles to triumph over evil.
And lives for one purpose:
TO DESTROY ALL ENEMIES!

Here we are, the next step towards the resurrection of our beloved SNK franchises. Grab your swords, because today, we are getting bloody!
This first thread will be all about stats, setting new tiers and values, before moving on to the remaking of the characters we currently have, which will be presented in a second CRT.
Before presenting arguments and feats, I want to make a quick rundown on the verse chronology and the sources I've used.

My research on the timeline of the games checks out with that presented by the SNK Wiki, either through the games themselves or additional sources.
  • Samurai Shodown V
  • Samurai Shodown (2019)
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Samurai Shodown III
  • Samurai Shodown IV
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Samurai Shodown 64
  • Samurai Shodown 64-2/Warriors Rage
  • Samurai Shodown Sen
  • Samurai Shodown Warriors Rage
Note: The canonicity of Sen has often been questioned throughout the internet and the fandom, but I find no reason why it should be left out. The birthdates written in the bios of the official website check out with the chronology of the series, fitting well into the timeline (ex. Haohmaru being presented as 26 and born in 1763). The game also doesn't have any contradiction with others (the deaths of Nakoruru, Genjuro and Ukyo had already been retconned several times anyway) and it is featured in the official series list on the Samurai Spirits Portal (see Flash, the japanese title of Sen).

Also, let me immediately say that I'm going to dump any KOF cross-scaling, it's been discussed and accepted several times in several threads that KOF crossover characters are different versions from the ones in their original series. Nakoruru, Haohmaru etc.. coming from different dimensions isn't an exception, since it's the most common trope in videogames when it comes to crossovers, and I have yet to see a single solid evidence of the series being canon to each other (also, I'm going to Iaijutsu anyone who brings up a certain artbook)

The sources:

AP, SS and Dura

The verse is currently rated 7-B because of the supposed destruction of Nagasaki at the hands of Amakusa, but such feat presents several problems and is mostly false.
  • Isn't backed up by a calc
  • It assumes Amakusa somewhow nuked the entire city of Nagasaki, while that stage is the courtyard of the castle of Shimabasa, a city in the prefecture of Nagasaki. The distance between this castle and the city itself is something between 40 to 60 km.
  • I guess it assumes it's modern Nagasaki, while the game takes place in 1788
  • This feat happens when Amakusa is defeated in the first round, so he decides to go all-or-nothing and tries to summons Ambrosia, the evil god he serves, who starts messing with reality. And if you look closely, you can see that only the boundary walls get destroyed. The tower in the background disappears because of mystic shenanigans, making it impossible to tell if the warping reached it or not. The entire stage also returns to normal once Amakusa is finally defeated and Ambrosia sealed back into the stone.
That said, the new rating isn't going to be much lower. Samurai Shodown 64-2 gifted us with a Low 7-C feat, performed either by Enja Kazuki or Asura. The series doesn't offer too many differences in scaling, at least for the main and modern characters, who end up all scaling to each other in a way or another, despite some difference. Regardless of incredulity, up and backscaling is feasible.

Speed

Currently the verse scales to KoF, which will be ditched, and to Earthquake allegedly moving at hypersonic speed because he can catch fire while doing a Blanka roll. Needless to say, he doesn't literally spin so fast he literally catches fire, he doesn't even really use fire that move, not even when enhanced. And most of all, he can already breathe fire, so it's clearly a superpower.

The new rating is going to be a moderate Supersonic, which is the speed at which Enja and Asura move while raining down from the sky to nuke the town, which clearly isn't a natural fall and should scale to their fighting reactions at the very least.

Also, it backed up by Amakusa cutting a castle at Subsonic speed (the speed part has been accepted, the AP has to be tweaked, but it's mostly irrelevant as of now), Ukyo cutting an apple four times in the blink of an eye (which, even when calced, doesn't surpass Amakusa's feat, so I didn't bother putting it into a blog, but it's still subsonic) and Earthquake minions moving FTE.

Lifting Strength

This is currently occupied by a Superhuman put there as a placeholder in absence of better options. I've got a nifty Class 10 calc, so we'll go with that. I've also got some minor stuff for support, notably the weight of Wan-Fu's weapons (even though it as yet to be approved), the same man proving his manliness by crushing the spine of a bear (which I don't think would surpass Hanzo's feat, and I also have no idea of how to calc), and the fact these people all carry giant or multiple weapons, while jumping several meters into the air and throwing each other around.

Scaling also isn't a problem, Hanzo isn't notorious for his muscle strength, and the games come with cool and neat mechanics such as Sword Clash and Sword Catch.

It looks good to me. Although, this does bring up the question if we should make KOF profiles for Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Darli, and the gatcha girls from XIV.

I agree with the proposal, especially the "not-scaling-to-KoF" proposal.

By the way, Samurai Showdown is a complicated series as the canonity of each video game... you know it is a old video game. Also, the P&A likely requires cleaning.

Last edited:
Seems good enough.

Cannot wait for a match between Season 5 Jack and Warrior's Rage Haoh, there's more than just lifting strength, telekinesis (dealt with Mikoto, who he raised and Oboro, both from that same game) and astral projection (like Amakusa and then Rera, Nakoruru's "Rasetsu" self in Samurai Shodown V, can materialize/project herself to her host & others).

Last edited:
It looks good to me. Although, this does bring up the question if we should make KOF profiles for Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Darli, and the gatcha girls from XIV.
Probably not, or at least only Nakoruru.
What characters will keep a KoF file is something I'll figure out once I tackle the series itself, and depending on their involvement in the plot and the differences between them and their main counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back